Expect the Jets to try to move up for Paxton Lynch

Shockwave

I hate, HATE, Paxton Lynch.   I see a guy that, when facing any pressure at all and even sometimes prematurely,  demonstrates happy feet and throws off his back foot "chuck and duck" style.   He appears overly cocky, concerned about his hairstyle (yes those two sound like Brady too)... but he also appears to be entitled with zero chip on his shoulder (definitely not like Brady coming out of U of M.)

Lynch reeks of bust.  Move up for Goff, or stay put and take a different position.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Re watch and tell me how often he completed passes to his 2nd or 3rd options.  Just about every pass was a quick pass to first option. That video makes me think he's about as ready to play in the nfl as Geno was coming out of college.  

No one that I know thinks that Lynch would start opening day his rookie year. The thought is that Lynch would sit a year or two behind Fitz (or some other mediocre veteran). 

I can't kill Lynch for the passes that he threw when he is constricted to the offensive system he is playing in. I have no idea if he can play in a pro set because they didn't ask him to. I do see a tall player with a very good arm, who is a good athlete, pretty accurate, not many bone headed throws and he led Memphis, a rather untalented team, to a defeat of Miss. 

16 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I hate, HATE, Paxton Lynch.   I see a guy that, when facing any pressure at all and even sometimes prematurely,  demonstrates happy feet and throws off his back foot "chuck and duck" style.   He appears overly cocky, concerned about his hairstyle (yes those two sound like Brady too)... but he also appears to be entitled with zero chip on his shoulder (definitely not like Brady coming out of U of M.)

Lynch reeks of bust.  Move up for Goff, or stay put and take a different position.

Thats funny, because what you just said is what I just seen on tape. lol. 

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Lynch is a fine prospect, but so is hackenburg and  cardale Jones.  All 3 are just not 1st round talent because they are projects. If the Jets fall in love with one and move up in the 2nd, fine,  but I'm not moving up in the 1st to get any of these guys.  

You may be right on this. It may be that the media is pushing it with Lynch, but based  on that video P.L. doesnt look like a 1st round talent to me. And that video was presented from a person who seems to be a Lynch supporter....so thats bad! lol. 

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Alot of these QB's are projects as its rare to have one in a Pro System. 

I dare anyone that actually watched his Pro Day to say there is a better QB fit for this team. Check the below Vids....Thats the Wind our QB must deal with. Once drafted Lynch will be known as one of the Elite arm's in the NFL and has a great deep ball by just about all scouts reports. Will he be a Elite QB? Who knows. But Theres no better fit for us this year.

Here's his Pro Day in 30-40 MPH wind.  Note the 70 yard throw that hits his WR hands perfectly. This is an all weather QB. 

He has an elite arm, but he's going to take atleast a year to adjust to the NFL.  Heck, last year after the draft, Petty was quoted as saying the playbook was very similar to the one he ran at Baylor and he didn't even sniff the field.   

My biggest issues with Lynch are the system, level of competition, and accuracy issues. especially on passes where he had to show touch.   Is he a good prospect?  Sure.  But I don't like to be swayed by what they do in practice (which is what a pro-day really is) because it's too pre-coordinated.  If we go back to Geno's pro day, we had people declaring him a lock to go in the first after that, when all he missed were 3 throws or something.   

If he drops, and we believe in him? Sure.  But I would't move up for him because it's too much of a wild card at this point.  

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Funny you should post this.  I called in to Sirius XM radio about 45 minutes ago and asked Kirwin and Miller if they thought Paxton Lynch would fall to the Jets at 20.

Kirwin said it only happens if Philly and SF pass on him and asks if I'd deal our 1st roudner, 2nd rounder and Mo to the Ravens to get up to number six and take Lynch.  I said I only do it if Mike Maccagnan truly feels like Lynch is a franchise QB.  

I think the 49ers pass on Lynch. It's being reported that SF isn't enamored with these QB class, and that Chip Kelly would rather try and resurrect Blaine Gabbert rather than draft a QB high. Take that for what it's worth though. Philly, who knows. They tried to trade up to #1, they could still try and trade up to #2. 

So if that's the case, there's a good chance Lynch falls to us then.

9 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

That vid shows he is terrible.   If he did not have a monster arm he would get picked in first 4 rounds. 

If the Jets took Connor Cook over Lynch I wouldnt be pissed. I think the constant regurgitation of Lynch name in the top 3 is what's giving him that credibility but maybe not his actual play on the field. 

I wasnt able to go through the prospects this year the way I usually do so its been really hard for me to make any judgements, but that Lynch vid against Ol'miss wasnt good at all, and if this is Lynch on a "good day" then he shouldnt be taken off the board the first night whatsoever. That dude needs to sit and develop. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldnt be confident putting that dude on the field. 

I guess we see why the Rams decided to move all the way up to the #1 spot. If you're looking for a guy to start day one, from the looks of it you shouldnt be looking in the direction of Paxton Lynch. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

If the Jets took Connor Cook over Lynch I wouldnt be pissed. I think the constant regurgitation of Lynch name in the top 3 is what's giving him that credibility but maybe not his actual play on the field. 

I wasnt able to go through the prospects the way I usually do so its been really hard for me to make any judgements, but that Lynch vid against Ol'miss wasnt good at all, and if this is Lynch on a "good day" then he shouldnt be taken off the board the first night whatsoever. That dude needs to sit and develop. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldnt be confident putting that dude on the field. 

I guess we see why the Rams decided to move all the way up to the #1 spot. If you're looking for a guy to start day one, from the looks of it you shouldnt be looking in the direction of Paxton Lynch. 

This guy is going to be such a bust.

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

At this point its safe to say that Goff and Wentz are going 1 and 2. Rams traded up IMO for Goff, and Cleveland will either take a QB or trade to someone that will take Wentz.  Also at this point I couldn't be more disgusted with the middle round QB's that will be taken high like Connor Cook, Hackenburg and Prescott. These guys had major issues in college and project to be the next Christian Ponders, Kellen Clemens, and Geno Smith. Why even waste the pick at that point?

That leaves Philadelphia, SF, and the Jets to Fight for Paxton Lynch.  This is a guy with the mobility and arm to play in NY. I think he has the most upside of any of the top 3 and we just so happen to have the best OC and talent to maximize that talent. 

With Philadelphia, and SF both picking 7/8 its pretty damn obvious Jax/Baltimore are the target here. The Jets reportedly made an offer for the number 1 pick so they are already thinking trade up. Expect the Jets to be talking to Jacksonville and Baltimore aggressively. While we don't have the ammo to move up to 2 ( 2600) - Moving up to the 6th pick might only cost us our first, second, and mid round next year OR our First/Mo/Low pick.  

You know, missing out on Goff and Wentz doesn't automatically = do something stupid to get Lynch.

This fan base is so quarterback starved it's considering the merits of trading up and reaching or staying out and reaching. The answer to the Jets QB issues isn't going to be found in this draft. It's a really terrible class. And trading up for garbage only compounds the mistake. Draft BPA or trade down. Lots of holes on this team besides QB. Good thing Mac knows what he's doing. 

they might move up for him.  for all we know, plan A was to try to get the top qb in the draft, all the while knowing it would likely be too expensive.  plan B may be to get a qb who has upside but requires more time to develop, which would necessitate trading mo to bring fitz back.  we shall see

If the jets actually made a real offer to trade up to #1 then they will make an offer to Cleveland to try and get the left over of goff wentz.  I'd be surrpised if they traded up far for lynch.  I think they are trying hard to try and get one of the top qbs.

If the jets actually made a real offer to trade up to #1 then they will make an offer to Cleveland to try and get the left over of goff wentz.  I'd be surrpised if they traded up far for lynch.  I think they are trying hard to try and get one of the top qbs.

I don't see it that way at all. If you're making an offer for #1, you have a specific one of the two QB'S in mind. If you like them both equally, you save some draft value and trade into #2. So they clearly prefer one of the QB'S, and are unlikely to trade up for the other IMO.

Goff and Wentz are unattainable without blowing up the franchise. I wouldn't have been against trading up for them if we liked them.

I don't even like Lynch and if we like Cook then I have no problem with us taking him either. My point is if we do think he's worth trading up for then we obviously like him a lot - It would be retarded for us to sit and wait simply because Cook might be available later on. 

With all due respect, what franchise? Since 1968 we've been nothing but a middling organization at best. There's nothing to blow up, what we haven't had is a genuine franchise QB. We're not talking about the Ravens or Bears defense here. We have an ok team, and no QB. If getting a franchise QB means blowing up the paltry crap we currently have I'll gladly bring the dynamite.

This fan base is so quarterback starved it's considering the merits of trading up and reaching or staying out and reaching. The answer to the Jets QB issues isn't going to be found in this draft. It's a really terrible class. And trading up for garbage only compounds the mistake. Draft BPA or trade down. Lots of holes on this team besides QB. Good thing Mac knows what he's doing. 

You're entitled to your opinion, but it seems like scouts and GM's feel otherwise. Judging by what we're seeing, it would seem that teams feel there's at least 3 franchise QBs to be had

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Re watch and tell me how often he completed passes to his 2nd or 3rd options.  Just about every pass was a quick pass to first option. That video makes me think he's about as ready to play in the nfl as Geno was coming out of college.  

Lol, Goff looks the exact same running a similar offense. 

Some of you honestly are just regurgitating twitter verse... You wanna rag on Lynch's "system" (which by the way, he totally had a say in...not) fine, but what he didn't do, was make a bunch of bone headed mistakes, turn the ball over, crumple in the pocket, or make poor throws under pressure. all things that Goff and Wentz did do in some capacity - worse than Lynch... but whatever right? it's all about that "2nd read".. 

28 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Some of you honestly are just regurgitating twitter verse... You wanna rag on Lynch's "system" (which by the way, he totally had a say in...not) fine, but what he didn't do, was make a bunch of bone headed mistakes, turn the ball over, crumple in the pocket, or make poor throws under pressure. all things that Goff and Wentz did do in some capacity - worse than Lynch... but whatever right? it's all about that "2nd read".. 

Check out Geno smith's college numbers running a spread. Not saying a spread offense qb can't win in the nfl but history says you're better off with a pro style qb. There is simply more gamble with lynch. No one is questioning his arm strength and talent.  

That's part of the reason why I prefer Wentz over goff. 

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Because it no longer looks like he'll be there at #20. Or that's what's being thrown around for the better part of the past week or so.

Lynch will be gone by pick 8. QB's are now like Elmo on XMAS. They will continue to be reached for.  We're in no position to play Russian roulette with our picks which is why trading for Glennon makes the most sense. He'll cost under 2 mill this year and if he performs, great! You just saved 5-7 mill more that would have cost to sign Fitz which you can use on A new contract with Glennon in 2017. 

Well if Lynch is still on the board at 15 the Titans will probably go hard after Mo Wilk, but in the process low ball the Jets thinking they are desperate, hope Mac doesn't take anything stupid to move up just 5 spots like Mo and 20 for 15 that's just stupid.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

The 2nd read is Forte all day in Gailey's system, or pull it down, and run, the first read is usually some route to Marshall, or Decker, and if you force it to them as long as you put it in a place where they have a chance to legitimately fight for the ball just about any QB can run this offense.

Obviously the Jets want to find a QB who can take this offense, and learn to get to reads 2, 3, and 4 extremely quickly before checking it down to Forte, or running with it, but that's 2-3 years away with any QB drafted this year, and not even feasible with Fitzpatrick.

5 minutes ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

A bit early but the 2017 QB class looks much more promising. 

This is the Jets. Never too early to look forward to the draft. I heard Macc sent scouts to the Bergen County Pee Wee championships this season looking for deep sleepers

Just now, jgb said:

This is the Jets. Never too early to look forward to the draft. I heard Macc sent scouts to the Bergen County Pee Wee championships this season looking for deep sleepers

hahaha - someone made a thread about the 2017 class - RB is very deep for the class too... but one QB I've really loved for quite a while is Gunner Kiel. I think he will be a stud at the next level. 

9 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

This is what you said: "Which would be absolutely retarded if we prefer Lynch, who is seemingly held in much higher regard throughout the league.

QB isn't a position you draft for the hell of it, not in the first round at least."

We dont know what the Jets prefer, but if we're going to play the "preferred game and why it would be absolutely retarded to bypass what you prefer" then lets do that. 

Drafting lynch though mostly preferring those other guys could be an option, just like drafting Connor Cook may not be what they most preferred. But maybe the Jets can trade down about 10 spots and get another 3rd round pick and pick up Connor at the 30th spot. 

The "absolutely retarded" and "QB isnt a position you draft for the hell of it" is asinine. You weigh your options, play the board and you dont draft ANY position just for the hell of it. 

You disagreed, but the statement I made wasnt absolutely retarded. The Jets have a big board and they have players ranked. Maybe the Jets prefer Lynch, but if they feel that, for example, Lynch could be taken by either the 49er's at pick 7 or maybe even the bears at pick 11 it may be too expensive to just "move up"....kinda like what you said about Wentz/Goff. So, you go for your "next best option". Connor Cook, and maybe you dont have to take him at 20, but trade down 10 spots for example, pick him up at 30 and get an extra 3rd rounder or something. 

Thats not retardation, thats playing the board. 

If we thought Cook was going to be a franchise QB you wouldn't risk letting him get past 20 to begin with. You said "draft Cook if you want a QB" almost as if it's for the sake of just drafting a QB - You don't play that percentage bullsh*t with QB's.

You don't settle for mediocre prospects at QB. That's how you end up with garbage like Mike Glennon. 

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

If we thought Cook was going to be a franchise QB you wouldn't risk letting him get past 20 to begin with. You said "draft Cook if you want a QB" almost as if it's for the sake of just drafting a QB - You don't play that percentage bullsh*t with QB's.

You don't settle for mediocre prospects at QB. That's how you end up with garbage like Mike Glennon. 

Yeah,so I guess we should trade up to the Browns spot again, just like back in 2009 when we got "this guy"? 

I mean, we just dont want to RISK letting this guy get away right?  lol, someone has hard feelings lol. jackass! 

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Couldn't have said this better. Everyones entitled to their opinion but Ill trust Mayock and other scouts opinion that this guy is a legit First round pick with Elite QB upside. Its rare to have a guy with that type of cannon that is also that mobile. With the Jets using one of their "30" on him they are obviously interested in him. 

People say they want an Elite QB. Well this guy has THAT upside. Sure he can bust. Sure he needs to be coached up. But that upside is not something Jared Goff, Prescott, Hackenberg, or Cook does NOT have. Its the same reason people get enamored with Wentz. Wentz has THAT upside. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yeah,so I guess we should trade up to the Browns spot again, just like back in 2009 when we got "this guy"? 

I mean, we just dont want to RISK letting this guy get away right?  lol, someone has hard feelings lol. jackass! 

Yes. I would be okay if he fell, just like Geno, but I wouldn't be happy with Mac if we went up to get him. Judging by last year I don't think he will. Maybe we'll trade back up to the end of the 1st if he falls. Otherwise I'd  wait and take someone like Brisset late to replace Geno. Then let he, and Petty fight it out for QB of the future. I like Kessler late as well, and think he could be the next Fitz if he grows a big beard.

People rag on Lynch's NFL readiness coming out of the spread, but if the Jets take him I'd expect him to sit for a year if not two. I don't think they need him to be NFL ready. The whole point of taking Lynch is that here's a big talented lump of clay they don't have to rush onto the field. Guys with Lynch's size, arm, athletic ability, and coordination don't grow on trees. If he was NFL ready he'd be the guy the Rams just traded up for.

And right now the Jets don't run a spread persay, but spread the field with a bunch of wide receivers and run a lot of shotgun. I've seen multiple people say they think Lynch is a great fit for what Gailey runs.

I just don't view his rawness as a quarterback is a big issue. Bring back Fitzpatrick, let the talented young guy learn how to play quarterback at the hands of a veteran OC and learn how to be a professional from a guy like Fitzpatrick who clearly knows the right way to go about things.

Don't get the Petty issue either. Lynch is bigger, smoother, and has a bigger arm. A rich man's Petty in many ways. I actually think that's an indicator that the scouts might like Lynch because they're similar - given they liked Petty with a lot of the same flaws but less overall upside.

Now if your issue is the way he handles pressure, that's a completely different story. Because that's key for an NFL quarterback - although Derek Carr seems to be on his way to overcoming that as I really didn't like him that much coming out of college. I need to see more of him to develop an opinion there - but to me that is a much more significant issue than him being raw.

I'd also be interested to see how he did on the Wonderlic. If you're planning on developing him, important that he's a sharp guy.

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I don't think anyone thinks Cook is going to be a franchise QB. They think he might be a franchise QB if he can be coached out of his bad habits. That's why you might take him if he falls to you in the 2nd, but don't trade up higher than his draft grade. I understand your thinking on one specific player, but as a draft philosophy it will erode the talent level of your team. Good teams only trade up when a player drops way below where you think they should go...Aaron Rodgers for example. Petty last year for the Jets was an example of what Mac might do when he sees someone he wants dropping. Hopefully that turns out as well. 

Archived