Expect the Jets to try to move up for Paxton Lynch

Shockwave

6 minutes ago, LunAticcalm said:

Cardale Jones is ******* terrible.  He stepped in and won a national championship for Meyer and Meyer still did everything he could to keep this kid off the football field.

I remember one of his press conferences after a loss, Urban pretty much admitted that Jones didn't have the brains to run the full playbook and they weren't able to use him in the same capacity as  Barrett.  Hell JT got a DUI and the coaching staff still couldn't wait to usher this kid back onto the field instead of Jones.

Cardale Jones = Jamarcus Russell without the hype.

Totally disagree.  And no where did he "pretty much admit that Jones didn't have the brains to run the full playbook".   He simply stated that at that point in time Barrett had a better grasp than Jones did with is totally understandable.    Cardale Jones needs to sit on an NFL bench for a year or two and not be rushed ala Geno.  I can see someone like Bruce Ariens taking him in the 4th round, letting him develop for a few years and have a potential franchise quarterback for the next decade... 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LunAticcalm said:

Cardale Jones is ******* terrible.  He stepped in and won a national championship for Meyer and Meyer still did everything he could to keep this kid off the football field.

I remember one of his press conferences after a loss, Urban pretty much admitted that Jones didn't have the brains to run the full playbook and they weren't able to use him in the same capacity as  Barrett.  Hell JT got a DUI and the coaching staff still couldn't wait to usher this kid back onto the field instead of Jones.

You do realize that Cardale lost the job for reasons other than his ability to pass?  He lost the job mainly because JT was the better fit for OSU's system which is NOT an NFL system. It's almost a reverse Paxton Lynch situation. While Jones is an athletic freak and could run, he is more of a pocket passer while JT is more suited for urban meyers spread option offense.

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

They did. He's chosen to stay at home with family in Florida.

100$ that he is selected higher than 20. Charity is fine. SPCA is always my choice if I win. The other bet is a little too speculative at this time. If it looks as tho both will start for their respective franchises, we can revisit that one.

Can we make it 50$? 100$ is a little dear for me right now. 

The bet is if Paxton Lynch goes 1-19 you win. If he goes 20 to the Jets it's a push, if he goes later than that I win. Fair? 

16 minutes ago, LunAticcalm said:

Didnt Jones start the season? 

18 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Totally disagree.  And no where did he "pretty much admit that Jones didn't have the brains to run the full playbook".   He simply stated that at that point in time Barrett had a better grasp than Jones did with is totally understandable.    Cardale Jones needs to sit on an NFL bench for a year or two and not be rushed ala Geno.  I can see someone like Bruce Ariens taking him in the 4th round, letting him develop for a few years and have a potential franchise quarterback for the next decade... 

You would think coming off a national championship, being the older Qb with less time that Meyer would try to milk Jones for all he had while increasing his draft stock.

Nope.  He flat out gave the job to Barrett,didn't care one iota for Jones and his future and even when Barrett screwed up royally gave him another chance instead of letting Cardale have the rest of the year to improve his stock.  If Cardale was a franchise talent then Barrett would have been told that next year is his year and that this last year for Jones, is all his.

Oh and I believe Arians can work miracles with a lot of Qb's, to bad he's in Arizona and we are talking about the Jets drafting Jones........

17 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You do realize that Cardale lost the job for reasons other than his ability to pass?  He lost the job mainly because JT was the better fit for OSU's system which is NOT an NFL system. It's almost a reverse Paxton Lynch situation. While Jones is an athletic freak and could run, he is more of a pocket passer while JT is more suited for urban meyers spread option offense.

Well the system sure worked out for Jones and Meyer during that momentous four game win streak that took home the national championship,

Jones is a flash in the pan, if he wasn't he would have been utilized better this season. 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Now watch, he's gonna toss some girl out a window tonight and get turfed in jail - leaving me with the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hah if he goes 20 to any team lets call that a push too. Like if the Jets trade down but the Broncos take him at 20 it's a push. 

18 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Lynch is a fine prospect, but so is hackenburg and  cardale Jones.  All 3 are just not 1st round talent because they are projects. If the Jets fall in love with one and move up in the 2nd, fine,  but I'm not moving up in the 1st to get any of these guys.  

Thank you. I am in total agreement and I would include Cook in that group as well. 

10 hours ago, jgb said:

This is the Jets. Never too early to look forward to the draft. I heard Macc sent scouts to the Bergen County Pee Wee championships this season looking for deep sleepers

This time last year everyone was singing the praises of Cook and Hackenberg, now a year later one possibly both of them should be available not only at 20 put possibly at 51 and now we are are looking toward 2017 "can't miss" prospects... geez.

21 minutes ago, LunAticcalm said:

You would think coming off a national championship, being the older Qb with less time that Meyer would try to milk Jones for all he had while increasing his draft stock.

Nope.  He flat out gave the job to Barrett,didn't care one iota for Jones and his future and even when Barrett screwed up royally gave him another chance instead of letting Cardale have the rest of the year to improve his stock.  If Cardale was a franchise talent then Barrett would have been told that next year is his year and that this last year for Jones, is all his.

Oh and I believe Arians can work miracles with a lot of Qb's, to bad he's in Arizona and we are talking about the Jets drafting Jones........

Well the system sure worked out for Jones and Meyer during that momentous four game win streak that took home the national championship,

Jones is a flash in the pan, if he wasn't he would have been utilized better this season. 

I am okay with Gailey and is ability to get the most out of "subpar" quarterbacks, I mean look what the hell he has done with Fitz.   And also stop focusing on what his College coach did or did not do.  His agenda was to win NOW not later and he went with the guy he felt was most ready to do that.  That thought process has NOTHING to do with projection of his potential on the NEXT LEVEL.  You draft a guy like Jones, and you know he is not going to start for at least a year maybe two but when he is ready, you could have your franchise qb. 

24 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Sure.

I think you are a lock to either win or at least tie this bet.

He doesn’t make it past the Jets at 20.  People want to point to Geno (being similarly talented) going in rd. 2…

Geno’s slide had less to do with ability and more to do with attitude and rubbing teams the wrong way.

50 minutes ago, LunAticcalm said:

Jesus Christ, can we stop comparing every big Black QB that comes out to Jamarcus Russell!!!

Every year we get 1 Jamarcus Russell comparison. It was annoying at 1st, now it's completely aggravating

38 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Can we make it 50$? 100$ is a little dear for me right now. 

The bet is if Paxton Lynch goes 1-19 you win. If he goes 20 to the Jets it's a push, if he goes later than that I win. Fair? 

Pat Kirwin made a statement on Sirius NFL radio that he's hearing there is no way Paxton Lynch makes it to the Jets @ 20. Says he checks off too many of the boxes for an NFL QB.

13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Pat Kirwin made a statement on Sirius NFL radio that he's hearing there is no way Paxton Lynch makes it to the Jets @ 20. Says he checks off too many of the boxes for an NFL QB.

it's actually a tighter call than I'm letting on... I can see the other side of the argument, to be sure. I like my side of the bet but wouldn't be surprised if I lost. 

20 hours ago, flgreen said:

A Pro day is one thing, here's every throw Lynch made against 13th ranked Ole Miss.  Got to say I'm impressed with his arm talent.  

Yeah he's got a gun and he's huge. He does not look like a big goofy 6-7 like Glennon does to me (sorry Villian).  This kid does have a high ceiling and after watching the interview with Gruden it seems he has some passion for the game and already faced some adversity. 

I am however not sure this guy was the Jets first choice as they tried to move up to the first pick which does mean Goff or Wentz.

This QB class may turn out much much better than we think. If the Jets moved up a few picks I would not be disappointed if they grab this guy but I think they also need to get Fitz in here to play this season and part of next season And I think signing this kid would turn the leverage of signing Fitz to the Jets favor.

59 minutes ago, Cosimojet said:

I think you are a lock to either win or at least tie this bet.

He doesn’t make it past the Jets at 20.  People want to point to Geno (being similarly talented) going in rd. 2…

Geno’s slide had less to do with ability and more to do with attitude and rubbing teams the wrong way.

The bold.

He really shat himself during the interviews, checking his phone and showing horrible interpersonal skills. I wish I'd bet that he'd have been face-punched within his first 3 years in the league.

22 hours ago, Shockwave said:

That leaves Philadelphia, SF, and the Jets to Fight for Paxton Lynch.  This is a guy with the mobility and arm to play in NY. I think he has the most upside of any of the top 3 and we just so happen to have the best OC and talent to maximize that talent. 

While we don't have the ammo to move up to 2 ( 2600) - Moving up to the 6th pick might only cost us our first, second, and mid round next year OR our First/Mo/Low pick.  

A. We're not getting to #6 with either offer.  Add next years #1 to either offer, and maybe.

B. We'd be doing this in order to draft the consolation-prize #3 QB in this draft, an almost universally down year for QB talent.

Where can I get the drugs you're taking, they sound awesome.

Also, obvious desperation is sad.  

God dammit i want him so bad I'm salivating. I can taste his Lynchness.

At this point, I'd rather the jets flop this year.

next years QB class is going to be awesome 4-5 guys that got franchise all over their face

#Foolsgold

Last year at this time people were saying the same thing about this draft, bonered by the prospect of Cook, Cardale and Hackenberg. Currently none of them are projected to go in the 1st.

13 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

At this point, I'd rather the jets flop this year.

next years QB class is going to be awesome 4-5 guys that got franchise all over their face

Link/names. Not being a wise ass but I'm only familiar with kid from Clemson

13 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Link/names. Not being a wise ass but I'm only familiar with kid from Clemson

Aside from Deshaun Watson from Clemson,  the other 2 major players are Brad Kaaya from Miami and Chad Kelly from Ole Miss

This is the first QB that I have seen since Mark Sanchez was coming out that I can say that I really WANT the Jets to draft-he's big enough, has a strong enough arm for throwing in the Jersey winter winds and he's not mentally challenged like the last idiot the Jets drafted on the first day. This way we can watch Fitz go 8-8 and Petty and Lynch can be his back-ups which will mean that a certain Geno fan won't be long for the board here after  his man crush is jettisoned out of Florham Park like a 4th of July firework display.

This is such a strange fanbase, we have guys who get emotionally married to these scrub QBs and swear their everlasting allegiance to them and after they are gone they all tell us how they will be switching teams to root for because "their guy" is gone. I really hope we can see Mac land this kid-he's like 6'7" and has a rocket for an arm

23 hours ago, win4ever said:

I'm not sure what the Jets would do, since Goff/Wentz seem to be off the table now.  I wouldn't move up for Lynch besides a couple of spots, and even that is debatable.  I just can't seem to like Lynch past his size/arm similar to Brock Osweiller with the Broncos.  He sat around doing nothing for 3 years, and looked mediocre last year.   Lynch to me is a project, and I'd rather take a project later in the draft than early on because he looks the part.  I guess the Vlad Duccasse pick still haunts me with projects early.  

this guy throws a better pass than Vlad Dumbass 

This is such a strange fanbase, we have guys who get emotionally married to these scrub QBs and swear their everlasting allegiance to them and after they are gone they all tell us how they will be switching teams to root for because "their guy" is gone. I really hope we can see Mac land this kid-he's like 6'7" and has a rocket for an arm

So was Ryan Leaf.

With that said, I agree with you Jimmy. Lynch fits the prototypical NFL QB. Great size, very strong arm and throws from the pocket.

Teams are better off rolling the dice on a guy like this rather than some gimmicky QB who put up huge numbers in college in a non-NFL type offense.

I'd hate it if the Jets end up with Lynch.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Yeah he's got a gun and he's huge. He does not look like a big goofy 6-7 like Glennon does to me (sorry Villian).  This kid does have a high ceiling and after watching the interview with Gruden it seems he has some passion for the game and already faced some adversity. 

I am however not sure this guy was the Jets first choice as they tried to move up to the first pick which does mean Goff or Wentz.

This QB class may turn out much much better than we think. If the Jets moved up a few picks I would not be disappointed if they grab this guy but I think they also need to get Fitz in here to play this season and part of next season And I think signing this kid would turn the leverage of signing Fitz to the Jets favor.

Just wondering.  Have you seen anyone else reporting it as a scoop except Tony Pauline?

A lot of folks have picked it up and run with it because it's a juicy story.  But I haven't haven't seen anyone credible verify it as a serious offer.

Macc has said he will contact every GM in the NFL for trade purposes.  For all we know he might have just thrown Mo and 20 out there just as a feeler.  

In all honesty I'm a bit skeptical about the "serious offer" end of this.  Particularly seeing what the ransom was that got the deal done.

If the Jets were going to leak something, I don't see why they would leak it to a low profile guy like Pauline  

JMO

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

I have to admit, I'm a little disheartened about the news that Macc tried to trade up to #1... I still believe to an extent that was more smoke than fire - but maybe not... And if not, it means he's shown his hand and that hand is presumably Goff or Wentz. I was really pulling for Lynch, and I kind of doubt Macc's the type of GM who settled for option B.

Don't get disheartened. If we weren't dangling Mo as trade bait, then you could get disheartened. But Mo has such "eye of the beholder" trade value, it's possible (if not likely) we could get more value out of him in a trade up than we could get as a pick alone. So if we moved up to #1 maybe Mo was being valued as the #10 pick in the draft, give or take. That doesn't therefore mean we could get even close to the #10 pick in the draft even-up for Mo. 

it's a smart strategy, and is likely the way for Maccagnan to get the most "value" in return for Mo. If he can't get a 1st rounder in return, at least he could say he traded him for the value of a 1st rounder.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Don't get disheartened. If we weren't dangling Mo as trade bait, then you could get disheartened. But Mo has such "eye of the beholder" trade value, it's possible (if not likely) we could get more value out of him in a trade up than we could get as a pick alone. So if we moved up to #1 maybe Mo was being valued as the #10 pick in the draft, give or take. That doesn't therefore mean we could get even close to the #10 pick in the draft even-up for Mo. 

it's a smart strategy, and is likely the way for Maccagnan to get the most "value" in return for Mo. If he can't get a 1st rounder in return, at least he could say he traded him for the value of a 1st rounder.

I don't remember whether it was this thread or another one but somebody posted a couple of scenarios where we got basically the value of the Abraham pick without actually getting a straight first rounder. That seems about right.

52 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

This is the first QB that I have seen since Mark Sanchez was coming out that I can say that I really WANT the Jets to draft-he's big enough, has a strong enough arm for throwing in the Jersey winter winds and he's not mentally challenged like the last idiot the Jets drafted on the first day. This way we can watch Fitz go 8-8 and Petty and Lynch can be his back-ups which will mean that a certain Geno fan won't be long for the board here after  his man crush is jettisoned out of Florham Park like a 4th of July firework display.

I have no idea what you're talking about. 

On an unrelated topic, if the Jets don't sign Matt Simms, I'm done w/ this franchise.

15 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I don't remember whether it was this thread or another one but somebody posted a couple of scenarios where we got basically the value of the Abraham pick without actually getting a straight first rounder. That seems about right.

Well that depends on whether or not it was just Mo and our 1st rounder, which I doubt. Maccagnan probably would have had to cough up something else (a 2nd rounder this year or next year, or whatever) to sweeten the offer. But yeah, that's the idea. Even if it was for ~#13 pick (J.Abraham) value, there isn't a team in the NFL giving that up for Mo even-up. If there was, the deal would have been done already instead of further leaks that the Jets "want a 1st round pick" for Mo.

34 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

So was Ryan Leaf.

With that said, I agree with you Jimmy. Lynch fits the prototypical NFL QB. Great size, very strong arm and throws from the pocket.

Teams are better off rolling the dice on a guy like this rather than some gimmicky QB who put up huge numbers in college in a non-NFL type offense.

I'd hate it if the Jets end up with Lynch.

Sounds like Ryan Mallett.

Archived