PFF - 1st round draft class grades: 2015 rookies

Integrity28

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/15/pro-how-every-2015-first-round-pick-graded-in-their-rookie-season/

6. Leonard Williams, DI, New York Jets

2014 PFF College grade: +51.3 (3rd-highest interior defender in class)

2015 PFF NFL grade: +29.7 (12th-highest interior defender in NFL)

Williams was excellent as a rookie, and his NFL grade was similar to how he performed in college. In his final year at USC, he graded impressively overall, but much better against the run than as a pass rusher. The same was true as a rookie, though he did notch four sacks, 19 hits and 30 hurries.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Good to see.  Let's hope he can keep it up with the increased playing time resulting from Mo's likely departure.  Plus not having big Snacks to benefit from.  (It's gonna suck seeing Snacks in blue.)

It is. He's just one of those good home grown player stories, you hate to see leave the team... but, for the role he plays in the defense, he should be replaceable. 

Good teams eventually have to lose good players. I hope this is something we have to get used to over time. That would be a good sign, presumably.

Nothing most of us don't already know, but I thought some might enjoy reading through it.

Jets fail to extend his rookie contract.

Use the franchise tag on him in 2019 for $24MM.

Signs a long term contract with another team in 2020 as the best DLineman in the NFL.

Jets get a 3rd round comp pick in 2021.

Jets blow the pick on some unheard of OLineman from UMass.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Signs a long term contract with another team in 2020 as the best DLineman in the NFL.

You put effort into this ^^^^

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

Drop out of high school.

Get job replacing urinal cakes.

Get fired from job replacing urinal cakes.

Move into parents' basement.

Be first to accumulate 100,000 posts on every NFL team's blog (Your almost 30% of the way there for this one!)

Become a ward of the state.

8 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Right, but you've gotta understand the reasoning behind it.

We'll need the money to extend Fitz well into his 40s.  We'll need roughly 30mil/per season free to sign someone of his caliber.  He does after all, keep us mediocre.

4 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

No, I just copied the Mo scenario.

We both know you spent 10 minutes on that, and chortled to yourself after hitting submit... then you refreshed 27 times hoping to see a response. Come on now.

26 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Lol. You're funny. Now do Easley!

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

To be that stout against the run at age 21 is impressive, considering his body isn't fully developed and he was carrying a good amount of "baby fat."  But the question remains, do you draft a guy that high if he isn't much of a pass rusher?

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

easley.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Right, but you've gotta understand the reasoning behind it.

We'll need the money to extend Fitz well into his 40s.  We'll need roughly 30mil/per season free to sign someone of his caliber.  He does after all, keep us mediocre.

Please don't encourage him.

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

We both know you spent 10 minutes on that, and chortled to yourself after hitting submit... then you refreshed 27 times hoping to see a response. Come on now.

It's posts like this that make wish this forum has a "This" button. 

Max and mods - can you make this happen?

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Nothing most of us don't already know, but I thought some might enjoy reading through it.

I don't know, I had two people, who supposedly "know better", tell me that Leo isn't nearly as good as we make him out to be.  I know you have evidence and all...but these guys "know better" man.

In all serious, this was good read. Thanks for posting it.  We really got a good one with this kid.

Interesting take on Bud Dupree (who some on here wanted):

22. Bud Dupree, ED, Pittsburgh Steelers

2014 PFF College grade: +30.7 (16th-highest edge defender in class)

2015 PFF NFL grade: -22.4 (100th-highest edge defender in NFL)

He totaled just 22 total pressures, and managed to record just 13 tackles resulting in a defensive stop, which saw him finish with the lowest grade of any rookie edge defender in 2015, while his pass-rushing productivity rating of 6.1 was the second lowest of all the edge defenders in the NFL. Dupree needs to improve drastically in year two.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Interesting take on Bud Dupree (who some on here wanted):

22. Bud Dupree, ED, Pittsburgh Steelers

2014 PFF College grade: +30.7 (16th-highest edge defender in class)

2015 PFF NFL grade: -22.4 (100th-highest edge defender in NFL)

He totaled just 22 total pressures, and managed to record just 13 tackles resulting in a defensive stop, which saw him finish with the lowest grade of any rookie edge defender in 2015, while his pass-rushing productivity rating of 6.1 was the second lowest of all the edge defenders in the NFL. Dupree needs to improve drastically in year two.

One of the two people that I mentioned, who supposedly "knew better", told me this is a guy we should have picked over Leonard Williams, because, you know, SPARQ scorez and all that jazz.

El. Oh. El.

6 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Would like to see him get to 8+ sacks this season.  I remember Mo really came on at the end of his second season.  Hopefully a similar trajectory for Leo.

One way to up his sack numbers would be to move him to left end, where the other teams typically line up their weaker pass blocker(s). 

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Who knows - maybe he'll improve year 2.  I didn't have an opinion on the guy myself as I hadn't seen him play (and generally don't watch much college).

Assuming this was meant for me, I'll give my opinions on the kid...

I kept a close eye on him because he was a guy I thought we might target if the whole "Chip trades up with us for Mariota" thing came to fruition, but Tennessee kinda f*cked that all up.  

Bud was an absolute FREAK of an athlete in college, and he's probably still one of the bigger freaks, even now in the big leagues.  Problem is he was (and still is) so raw, that taking him at 6 would have been a huge reach. Many significant plays he made this season came while being unblocked and he struggled with learning the playback. Relied wayyyyyyyy too much on athleticism and was man-handled as a result.  Lost a ton of playing time to a washed up and old James Harrison.  Could he flip it around and be a super successful project for the Steelers?  Absolutely.  However, anyone who felt we should have taken him over Leonard Williams is certified bat-sh*t insane and should stay far far away from draft talk.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Pretty sure Leonard Williams took his rookie season pass/fail.

Passed with flying colors. @Sperm Edwards is completely right. If we trade Mo and flip Leo to full-time LE, his sack totals should FLY up. He notched many of those 4 sacks and pass rush stats (possibly all of them) at RE which is definitely reassuring when evaluating a rookie. 

I saw a while ago (had to dig in my Twitter feed to find it) and I thought it was pretty interesting: Among rookie defenders Mauldin was 8th in sacks(4) 3rd in FF(2) at just 24% of snaps.100/353 of those snaps were on ST. A good comparison would be a guy I liked in Eli Harold who played 29.5% of snaps 170/507 on special teams didn't rank in the top 10 in any category. He did have 14 tackles to Lorenzo's 17. I know no one was talking about it but I feel both Williams and Mauldin kind of got lost in the shuffle last season.

1 hour ago, Jet in PA said:

I saw a while ago (had to dig in my Twitter feed to find it) and I thought it was pretty interesting: Among rookie defenders Mauldin was 8th in sacks(4) 3rd in FF(2) at just 24% of snaps.100/353 of those snaps were on ST. A good comparison would be a guy I liked in Eli Harold who played 29.5% of snaps 170/507 on special teams didn't rank in the top 10 in any category. He did have 14 tackles to Lorenzo's 17. I know no one was talking about it but I feel both Williams and Mauldin kind of got lost in the shuffle last season.

Mauldin played better than all of those 1st Rd grade pass rushing olb's people were drooling over except Beasley who I knew was going to be a beast

Lmfao @Fowler and Gregory

Archived