Bryce Petty must really stink

Ex-Rex

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But you're arguing against a point nobody is making. Petty was not a 1st round pick, and anyway the comment was solely in regards to how the pick will look in hindsight if it takes 4 years just to develop into a viable backup

I don't understand your repeated replies. Nobody has opined that if it takes Petty 4 years to turn into Aaron Rodgers then it was a wasted pick. Nobody. Further, nobody has suggested it should take 1 year to fully develop a QB. Yet you keep arguing against a point nobody made, as though that was anybody's opinion. Straw man argument

Im not arguing anything.  Youre telling me I cant put my 2 cents in though? 

He made a comment, I replied once.  Don't see where what i wrote was that far off base.  The person I responded to is ok with the conversation but I had to answer to you why I wrote what I did and that wasnt enough?  You want to argue that QBs dont need time to develop and that which round they go in matters that nice.  I didnt say that they need 4 years to play.  Or that he will become A Rodgers.  

The thread starts saying Petty must be bad because hes not developed yet or because hes not good enough to vie for the job yet. 

Youre missing the point or dont agree, fine, let it go, youre the only one arguing 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc was quoted, and I'm paraphrasing, saying that Petty could end up a pretty good backup.  Which is actually not that bad of a result for using a 4th rounder on a QB.  Guys who can be capable backups, and maybe show some upside in a few spot starts, can end up being traded for high picks OR sign massive deals resulting in a 3rd round compensatory selection. 

Mac motivating Petty ;)

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

I don't think anyone can say with any sort of confidence or certainty that Bryce Petty sucks. That's just presumptuous. The kid needs more time and people need to relax. Have a Coke and a smile and STFU.

Time is on our side why mess with history of 47 years without a Super Bowl appearance. 

The New York Jets...............theres always next year. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Time is on our side why mess with history of 47 years without a Super Bowl appearance. 

I just posted that he needs more time. What part of that statement do you not understand? Jerking him on to the field because the Jets have been 47 years without a SB championship, would be the most insanely idiotic thing the CS could ever do. It makes ZERO sense.

1 minute ago, Mainejet said:

I just posted that he needs more time. What part of that statement do you not understand? Jerking him on to the field because the Jets have been 47 years without a SB championship, would be the most insanely idiotic thing the CS could ever do. It makes ZERO sense.

Why draft a QB that needs time. We need immediate impact players. Other teams start rookie QBs why not us. I mean really what we've been doing hasnt been working. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Just to let you know; I'm seriously considering banning you the next time I see a "47 years" reference from you. You've beaten that particular dead horse into dog food, already. 

The QB situation here is a futile one to say the least.  Fans are torn apart by all this. We cannot pay Fitz what he demands we seem to not be able to trade up so the next best option in my opinion is to get behind Geno Smith for a year and see what he's got. With the cap money we can use it on other key players. 

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The QB situation here is a futile one to say the least.  Fans are torn apart by all this. We cannot pay Fitz what he demands we seem to not be able to trade up so the next best option in my opinion is to get behind Geno Smith for a year and see what he's got. With the cap money we can use it on other key players. 

You dirty dog you!!

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Uh, you do realize pretty much every QB in the league - and I'm including all the 3rd stringers - could have that bolded part said about them. Even Fitzpatrick, who was and is comparatively light on physical ability, had enough physical ability to potentially be a starting-caliber QB. 

Maccagnan's comments, if you read between the lines, say this: "Well he obviously has enough physical ability, which I saw when I drafted him. But he hasn't shown nearly enough to even consider as a starter. Hopefully when we see him in the spring/summer he looks better than the last time we saw him play/practice. But none of us think that's going to happen this year, and if it does we'll all be very surprised."

I guess you can read it any way you want depending on how you feel about Petty.  What he actually said was Petty is good for a back up now, it he wants it he has the talent to be a starter.  

It is all we have.  All this Petty stinks stuff is based on agenda, with no substance, and no statements.  Yeah they are looking at QB's which they would also be doing if.

1) they are unsure of Fitz's status

2) They plan on moving away from Smith as soon as they have 3 other QB's in place.  (That's how I choose to interpret it)

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the jets haven't signed fitz or traded for a veteran qb, and as of now they haven't drafted one either.  how is this an indictment of petty, b/c of rumors?

inquiring minds want to know!

37 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The other day I reached into the back of the fridge to a older, open gallon of milk. Can't eat my cereal without a splash of milk. As I turned the cap I thought "this must be what Bowles is thinking"..."ain't no way this going to go good"

21 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Because on nearly EVERY Jets site I visit, all everyone is talking about is how the Jets can get a QB like Lynch or Cook. If the Jets draft a QB it will send a clear signal that Petty is not progressing as well as the team had hoped. I sincerely hope that is not the case. I was extremely pleased when the Jets took Petty. I watched him with a lot of interest at Baylor and thought he was a better prospect than RGIII. But WTF do I know? Thoughts?

When you draft a QB in the 4th round, you don't do so with absolute delusions that he's going to be groomed to be your franchise QB.  If that were the case you wouldn't see teams giving up the farm to move up to the top picks to take guys like Goff/Wentz.  Just stay put and draft your franchise in the 4th.  Maybe someday Petty will become a great QB.  More likely not.  More likely he'll become a solid backup. 

What Mac ACTUALLY said, is that Petty is good enough to be the backup THIS YEAR, and has the skills to do much more, but it is up to him to go out, put the work in, and take the starting job.   The context of the question was for the upcoming season, not a statement of his ceiling forever.

6 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

What Mac ACTUALLY said, is that Petty is good enough to be the backup THIS YEAR, and has the skills to do much more, but it is up to him to go out, put the work in, and take the starting job.   The context of the question was for the upcoming season, not a statement of his ceiling forever.

Thank You! Someone who can actually read and comprehend.

How people extrapolated that McCagnan said that Petty's career ceiling is as a 2nd stringer is beyond me. He is simply saying that in Year 2, this guy's ceiling is as the #2. Becoming a starter this year is not realistic and I doubt anyone on the coaching staff or FO think Petty is a legitimate option to start in his second year.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Why draft a QB that needs time. We need immediate impact players. Other teams start rookie QBs why not us. I mean really what we've been doing hasnt been working. 

How many QB's do you think are out there that start from day 1? The last QB that was considered to be a 100% day 1 starter was Andrew Luck. In other words, there are no QB's out there that can start day 1. Aaron Rodgers developed for 3 seasons before he was ready and he is now widely considered the bet QB in the league today.

Geno started his rookie year, bust.

Sanchez started his rookie year, bust.

The last QB we sat and waited on was Pennington.  Pennington, third best QB in our franchises weak-ass QB history.

Maybe the problem is you don;t actually understand what has worked and what hasn't.  Your impatience will not help the Jets win Super Bowls.  A "Win next Year or Nothing" attitude is the fastest way to become the worst team in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Im not arguing anything.  Youre telling me I cant put my 2 cents in though? 

He made a comment, I replied once.  Don't see where what i wrote was that far off base.  The person I responded to is ok with the conversation but I had to answer to you why I wrote what I did and that wasnt enough?  You want to argue that QBs dont need time to develop and that which round they go in matters that nice.  I didnt say that they need 4 years to play.  Or that he will become A Rodgers.  

The thread starts saying Petty must be bad because hes not developed yet or because hes not good enough to vie for the job yet. 

Youre missing the point or dont agree, fine, let it go, youre the only one arguing 

1. That's right, you can't put in your 2 cents. This is a dictatorship. :) 

2. I think most people guessing/presuming things about Petty's shortcomings are due to the team's actions and statements. You have to admit, it's not encouraging. It has nothing to do with, from a fan's perspective, "He's not a solid starter his rookie year? OK, wasted pick. Bust." 

huh wha?  Other teams start rookies why not us!?!?!  What we have been doing is not working!!!  The last two drafted QB's we had we started as rookies.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

I guess you can read it any way you want depending on how you feel about Petty.  What he actually said was Petty is good for a back up now, it he wants it he has the talent to be a starter.  

It is all we have.  All this Petty stinks stuff is based on agenda, with no substance, and no statements.  Yeah they are looking at QB's which they would also be doing if.

1) they are unsure of Fitz's status

2) They plan on moving away from Smith as soon as they have 3 other QB's in place.  (That's how I choose to interpret it)

I didn't read where he said Bryce Petty is good for a backup now. He said he could be a good backup, not that he is a good backup.

Said today at pre draft presser

1. "I've seen a lot of quarterbacks get thrown into the fire very young," Maccagnan says. Ideally wants "get feet wet" period. #Jets

2. "We like Bryce Petty quite a bit, but we will have a better feel of where he's at when he plays in the preseason," Maccagnan says. #Jets

I guess if people chose to interpert that as a lack of confidence for Petty, Guess Leonard Williams is in big trouble to.  Macc said pretty much the same thing.  Lets see what they do in OTA's and camp.

Maccagnan says quality of #Jets' 2016 roster depends a lot on how young guys like Pryor and Leonard Williams come along.

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Said today at pre draft presser

1. "I've seen a lot of quarterbacks get thrown into the fire very young," Maccagnan says. Ideally wants "get feet wet" period. #Jets

2. "We like Bryce Petty quite a bit, but we will have a better feel of where he's at when he plays in the preseason," Maccagnan says. #Jets

I guess if people chose to interpert that as a lack of confidence for Petty, Guess Leonard Williams is in big trouble to.  Macc said pretty much the same thing.  Lets see what they do in OTA's and camp.

Maccagnan says quality of #Jets' 2016 roster depends a lot on how young guys like Pryor and Leonard Williams come along.

Absolutely none of that says Maccagnan thinks Petty IS a good #2 QB right now. It's not even loosely inferred.

I'm not saying Petty sucks or is a bust or whatever. And I want him to do well. We have him on the team for at least 3 more seasons, and he seems like a good kid. I'm saying the team hasn't behaved like they think he'll be a starter anytime soon, if ever.

2 hours ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

The other day I reached into the back of the fridge to a older, open gallon of milk. Can't eat my cereal without a splash of milk. As I turned the cap I thought "this must be what Bowles is thinking"..."ain't no way this going to go good"

Maybe thats the reason Bowles always has a sour milk face on.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Geno started his rookie year, bust.

Sanchez started his rookie year, bust.

The last QB we sat and waited on was Pennington.  Pennington, third best QB in our franchises weak-ass QB history.

Maybe the problem is you don;t actually understand what has worked and what hasn't.  Your impatience will not help the Jets win Super Bowls.  A "Win next Year or Nothing" attitude is the fastest way to become the worst team in the NFL.

Or Dan Snyder...

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Best and Geno Smith are words that should never go together, unless of course some term like "is the opposite of" is in between.

55 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Absolutely none of that says Maccagnan thinks Petty IS a good #2 QB right now. It's not even loosely inferred.

I'm not saying Petty sucks or is a bust or whatever. And I want him to do well. We have him on the team for at least 3 more seasons, and he seems like a good kid. I'm saying the team hasn't behaved like they think he'll be a starter anytime soon, if ever.

What he actually says in the above article is if he works hard, "it's up to him" he'll be a good starter.  I'm good with it if he is a good starter, but can't be a good back up.  LOL

I didn't hear the press conference, but from what's been posted...I think its hilarious how Mac didn't even mention Geno when talking about Quarterbacks and wanting a pipeline of them. He mentioned the same thinf last year for OLB (wanting a pipeline of them). I'm glad our gm recognizes the two biggest game changing positions in the NFL.

We all know Geno is gone soon, latest after this season, but it's funny how Mac doesn't even bullsh*t about him.

33 minutes ago, flgreen said:

What he actually says in the above article is if he works hard, "it's up to him" he'll be a good starter.  I'm good with it if he is a good starter, but can't be a good back up.  LOL

However nicely he may have put it, or however you want to read into it, he's saying Petty was a LONG way off the last time he saw him. The comments about "he's working hard..." etc are platitudes that get said about everyone who isn't Johnny Manziel, including lazy players who are not necessarily working hard. Pretty much everything else nice he said about Petty he could have said about him the day he was drafted or right after minicamp.

What I read in this interview is: "Bryce wasn't anywhere near ready when I saw him last. He may or may not be adequate as our #2 QB but he certainly has the physical talent to do so. Hopefully when we next see him he's a lot more QB than future QB prospect."

Anything else I think you're seeing what you want to see in his generic platitudes. It's a hair above if a GM said an, "As of right now Geno Smith is on our roster" type comment. It's technically a supportive statement meaning he's a Jet, but everyone knows what it would really mean if that was said.

Archived