Gruden's QB Camp - Christian Hackenberg

Vader

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

After they drafted him I watched the whole thing, and while it's programmed stuff, it was evident that Hackenberg has the smarts, and the tools.

If he puts it all together?  No one knows, but he has potential.

Very interesting when asked why he changed his back foot out of shotgun after O'Brian left was because the new coaching staff told him to do it.  Seems like a coaching screw up that can easily be fixed.  Stoked honestly, can't wait for camp.

Thank you for posting this!!!  After watching Paxton Lynch with Gruden I wanted
to compare it with Hackenberg.  There is absolutely NO COMPARISON, Lynch seemed
disconnected and wasn't very technical in describing concepts.  Hackenberg was
sharp, taking notes, very detailed and broke down concepts like a pro.  I now know
why we drafted him also if you listen closely Gruden blames a lot of Hackenberg's
"issues" to bad coaching

Every Jet fan needs to watch this because Gruden is speaking like a HC to his
QB and Hackenberg is able to process it.  In this day and age of spread QB's
that isn't normal

7 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Very interesting when asked why he changed his back foot out of shotgun after O'Brian left was because the new coaching staff told him to do it.  Seems like a coaching screw up that can easily be fixed.  Stoked honestly, can't wait for camp.

and Hack took pains not to blame his line or the coach.  Gruden was trying to see if he would.

6 hours ago, jetrider said:

Wish we had Gruden.

The Hackenberg episode is uplifting but the Lynch episode's game footage is more spectacular. Lynch does everything well.

and yet....they passed on him.  Have to wonder why, no?

at least they took a guy who 1) clearly has nfl measurables, 2) can operate a pro style system, 3) can handle adversity and 4) isn't an idiot.  these are 4 advantages he has over geno when geno was drafted.  as one poster wrote somewhere, i wonder if mccags' knowing bill o'brien from houston gave him additional insights into what happened the past 2 years.  the talent is undeniable, we're talking about a former 5 star recruit who could have gone to any college and was on track to be a top 10 draft pick at only 18 years old.  

at least the jets took a guy with the proper upside, he's got as much upside as goff and wentz.  he's as talented as they are if not more.  it is reasonable to assume that if o'brien had remained his coach for the last 2 years he would have been off the board well before the jets picked at 20 in round 1 anyway.

Jets may of got very lucky. When we look back on this we may see that Bill Obrien leaving Penn State for the pros gave au the opportunity to draft Hack in the 2nd round.

Is there anyone on this board that thinks if Obrien stays Hackenburgs stock drops as much as it has? When someone has the measurables the next step is do they have the drive & the smarts to succeed. Read outliers & he fits perfectly. He just needs to be back in a system with people that know what the f*ck their doing like Chan Gailey. 

There is not a QB alive that doesn't fold when their spirit is crushed & they are taking massive hits all day. Tom Brady WILTED under the pressure Denver put on him. (Maybe the best QB to ever play the game). Keep in mind defensive players get away with much more regarding the QB in college than they do in the Pros now. Again, we'll see what happens as the fan base is split equally like always regarding QBs. He either sucks or it's a great pick. In 2 years we'll see who was right.

2 hours ago, jack48 said:

and Hack took pains not to blame his line or the coach.  Gruden was trying to see if he would.

What? Gruden tried to get him to see the light that there are things he can do better to save himself, avoid sacks + hits, and it sailed over his head.

Hack automatically blames others, "Through more and more study of our protections ah really being able to isolate alright whoever it is that's having a tough time today ... "

YOU were, dummy. Hope it sinks in.

Kid looks 15, and acts it too at times. This was the worst scene of all, thank god the rest was more encouraging.

3 minutes ago, jetrider said:

What? Gruden tried to get him to see the light that there are things he can do better to save himself, avoid sacks + hits, and it sailed over his head.

Hack automatically blames others, "Through more and more study of our protections ah really being able to isolate alright whoever it is that's having a tough time today ... "

YOU were, dummy. Hope it sinks in.

Kid looks 15, and acts it too at times. This was the worst scene of all, thank god the rest was more encouraging.

his o-line was a f*cking disaster. 

Just now, neckdemon said:

his o-line was a f*cking disaster. 

seriously.  just watching lowlights of the penn state temple game you see why his stats were as they were.  he got the crap kicked out of him, and then he has to sit in interview after interview and smile and apologize and say it's his fault, to the same people who watch the film and know he got the crap kicked out of him.

The video is 23 minutes long and 22 minutes of it is Gruden yelling excuses for Hackenberg sucking at him and Hackenberg getting misty-eyed and subtly nodding. If you watch it with the sound off, you'd think Hackenberg was one of Sandusky's victims.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The video is 23 minutes long and 22 minutes of it is Gruden yelling excuses for Hackenberg sucking at him and Hackenberg getting misty-eyed and subtly nodding. If you watch it with the sound off, you'd think Hackenberg was one of Sandusky's victims.

while this is funny......i don't think thats true

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

you watch tape and you see him getting the crap kicked out of him.  gruden knows he's got the talent.  

Jets interviewed both Lynch and Hackenberg, no? I think it's pretty obvious they went with Hackenberg because of his smarts, leadership, and maturity - all things Lynch and Cook are deficient in to varying degrees. He was one of the more intriguing QB prospects to me before the draft because he seem sped to be rated highly despite meh numbers, with a lot of blame placed on his line, supporting cast, and coaching staff. The second round was probably high for him, but no one will care if he works out in a year or two. 

2 hours ago, KRL said:

If you watch Lynch with Gruden you will not be impressed.  Yes he has physical tools but

he can't touch Hackenberg in terms of technical knowledge

If you watch the Lynch episode you'll see he's more developed as a QB, has more natural talent and more to tap into. 

They're two different personalities. With the game on the line and seconds left, do or die, I'd take Lynch any day. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets interviewed both Lynch and Hackenberg, no? I think it's pretty obvious they went with Hackenberg because of his smarts, leadership, and maturity - all things Lynch and Cook are deficient in to varying degrees. He was one of the more intriguing QB prospects to me before the draft because he seem sped to be rated highly despite meh numbers, with a lot of blame placed on his line, supporting cast, and coaching staff. The second round was probably high for him, but no one will care if he works out in a year or two. 

We got a Mangini Guy?

Really hope I'm wrong about him.

Kid is smart,  we need to let him sit for 2 years and get his confidence back. He has good attitude, and needs to get used to the speed of the game. Hopefully we get Fitz back to mentor this kid and teach him how to read defenses. Hopefully he is not permanently shellshocked from all the sacks. No doubt he needs a lot of work, hopefully he improves faster than we expect. I still would have preferred Lynch but I am 100% behind Hack. We just better have a great line in place when he is ready to start or forget it.

Gruden: YOU TOOK A LOT OF HITS

Hack: Yeah, but I got up...all but once.

Gruden: WHY'D YOU GET HIT SO MUCH

Hack: early on, I tried to tell them, but

Gruden: DID YOU TELL THEM LUCKY RIGHT RINGO MIKE

Hack: I...they didn't listen to me.

Gruden: LOOK AT YOUR FEET HERE

Hack: Nobody told me that feet were a big deal, I...

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

We got a Mangini Guy?

Really hope I'm wrong about him.

Lol, ugh, let's hope. 

I have some faith in these guys, and I don't watch college ball, so I'm just gonna try to be optimistic for the time being. 

9 hours ago, jetrider said:

Wish we had Gruden.

The Hackenberg episode is uplifting but the Lynch episode's game footage is more spectacular. Lynch does everything well.

But doesn't run a pro offense, doesn't run a huddle, call plays under center, check down, call audibles, etc.  can he do it?   You would think he can learn but most don't, so what do you do? Risk your 20?

was a tough call.

Archived