Stephen Hill breakout season in Carolina?

joewilly12

Ricky Proehl: Stephen Hill "was getting ready to make me famous as a coach"

Jul 31, 2015; Spartanburg, SC, USA; Carolina Panthers wide receiver Stephen Hill (87) walks to the field during training camp held at Wofford College. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

Before hosting Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and relaying the death of the dab on Thursday morning, the guys over at WFNZ’s “The Mac Attack” rang up the team’s wide receivers coach Ricky Proehl.

And interestingly enough, Proehl kept alive a dream that much of the football world has been salivating over since 2012. Yup, the emergence of none other than Stephen Trevon Hill.

When asked about Hill’s development since joining the Panthers in 2014, Proehl expressed great optimism, claiming the wideout was “ready to make me famous as a coach.”

“This kid’s 6’4″, running 4.2, 4.3. And it doesn’t work out in New York. And he’s a bust. And he’s this, he’s that. And he comes here, doesn’t say a word. He’s on the practice squad two years ago and busts his tail every day and never complains, never says a word. We work on his game. Attacking the ball, being aggressive, don’t worry about dropping, just attack the football. He’s got big hands. And he comes into camp last year and he’s killing it. You ask Cam Newton. It may have been Kelvin [Benjamin] and Stephen Hill as our starters.”

Hill, a former second-round pick of the New York Jets, signed on to Carolina’s practice squad at the beginning of the 2014 season. After turning in a standout performance during organized team activities in 2015, Hill would hit a few snags that halted his potential breakout for that upcoming season.

On July 29, Hill was cited for possession of drug paraphernalia during a traffic stop in nearby Concord, North Carolina. He would then tear the ACL in his right knee just four days later, effectively ending his 2015 playing hopes.

After being waived by the Panthers following the citation and injury last summer, Hill then re-signed with the team on a one-year deal back in March.

Proehl also believes Hill is ready to carry over his success from last summer into this one and become a regular contributor for in 2016.

“Ask Cam [Newton] how well Stephen Hill was playing in training camp last year and him just using his speed and his explosiveness coming off the ball and making plays downfield. Stephen Hill has got such an inner strength in his work ethic.”

“Stephen Hill has just, he has worked his tail off. I’ve seen people have the injury he’s had and they can’t even walk the same. They can’t even walk normal. This guy’s running full speed. He’s getting in and out of his cuts. He’s practicing like anybody else in our room is.”

Even if he turns out to be a smidgen of what many hoped he’d be coming out of Georgia Tech in 2012, Hill can certainly help the league’s top-scoring offense from a year ago as as they begin their hopeful trek back to the Super Bowl.

Maybe getting cut helped him get some perspective and work harder. Maybe not having Sanjay Lal as a WR coach helped. 

Maybe this is all bullsh*t. 

If CAR can make something out of Hill then great. However, it was still the right move to cut him here. He wasn't performing and we weren't equipped to do anything to improve his performance.

Hill is a complimentary WR, that isn't technically sound enough to be a No. 1.  However, give him a good set of WRs around him, and I think he could be a nightmare.  While I understood that he didn't produce, I had no idea why we kept guys like David Nelson, Greg Salas, Salim Hakim over Hill when he had more potential.  Granted, Hill hasn't done anything yet, but the move at the time didn't make sense, because it was easy to see that three of the guys we kept over him weren't going to amount to much anyway.   

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

Maybe getting cut helped him get some perspective and work harder. Maybe not having Sanjay Lal as a WR coach helped. 

Maybe this is all bullsh*t. 

If CAR can make something out of Hill then great. However, it was still the right move to cut him here. He wasn't performing and we weren't equipped to do anything to improve his performance.

You had me all the way until that last part. I actually really disagreed with cutting Hill for some of the guys we kept.  There was still potential there and I'll be a little miffed if he does well next year.  Oh well though.  What's done is done.

None of the guys we cut him for are on the team any more.  I don't know if Hill will develop but this this idea that it was the right move to cut him is the same shortsighted attitude where folks wanted to get rid of Powell a few years ago and Pryor before last season. Now some of the same folks are ready to cut Amaro and feel Smith is a bust already.  If this team is ever to make to a super bowl it is going to have to develop young players and that means being patient and dealing with their growing pains.   Hill is only what 24 or 25?  He should had a chance to learn from a guy like Marshall...  

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

Hill is a complimentary WR, that isn't technically sound enough to be a No. 1.  However, give him a good set of WRs around him, and I think he could be a nightmare.  While I understood that he didn't produce, I had no idea why we kept guys like David Nelson, Greg Salas, Salim Hakim over Hill when he had more potential.  Granted, Hill hasn't done anything yet, but the move at the time didn't make sense, because it was easy to see that three of the guys we kept over him weren't going to amount to much anyway.   

I am in total agreement.  I was really pissed at the time, he missed a bunch of games with injuries and was only in his 3rd year; way too early to give up on the guy.

10 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I am in total agreement.  I was really pissed at the time, he missed a bunch of games with injuries and was only in his 3rd year; way too early to give up on the guy.

He missed a bunch of games with injuries in only 3 years, then he left and missed all the rest of his games with injuries. That doesn't make me wish we'd kept him. 

Maybe we can trade Miliner for him. It'd be nice change of scenery in the training room. 

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

He missed a bunch of games with injuries in only 3 years, then he left and missed all the rest of his games with injuries. That doesn't make me wish we'd kept him. 

Maybe we can trade Miliner for him. It'd be nice change of scenery in the training room. 

In my opinion we have much better young talent in camp trying to earn a spot at WR here.

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

And if Miliner stays healthy this season and has a breakout season what will u say then?  Sorry but to me if u are a 3rd rounder or higher I am gaining you 3 years unless In have to cut a player with more potential to keep u. They guys we kept were garbage at worst and below average at best with little to no upside.  U don't cut a guy with Hills ability that early in his career for players like that.  

33 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

None of the guys we cut him for are on the team any more.  I don't know if Hill will develop but this this idea that it was the right move to cut him is the same shortsighted attitude where folks wanted to get rid of Powell a few years ago and Pryor before last season. Now some of the same folks are ready to cut Amaro and feel Smith is a bust already.  If this team is ever to make to a super bowl it is going to have to develop young players and that means being patient and dealing with their growing pains.   Hill is only what 24 or 25?  He should had a chance to learn from a guy like Marshall...  

Well, it took him 2-3 more years to develop.  He was a project taken in the 2nd round, when he should have been a 5th or 6th.

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Well, it took him 2-3 more years to develop.  He was a project taken in the 2nd round, when he should have been a 5th or 6th.

What round he should have been taken in is an entirely different argument. The bottom line is with his measurables I would have given him one more year to put it together or at least show some real.improvement.  especially considering who our other receivers were at the time.

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Smith is a bust already!

the WR isn't very good yet either!

7 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I didn't understand why he was cut, because it wasn't like we were loaded at the position.  We had Decker and a bunch of JAGs. not sure how he was blocking other talented guys.  Right now on the roster, yeah I take Marshall/Decker/Smith/Enunwa over him, and you can make arguments for Peake/Anderson/Marshall but I didn't understand just getting rid of him outright.  

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

In my opinion we have much better young talent in camp trying to earn a spot at WR here.

Right now, it's debatable, but I do agree.  Marshall/Decker/Smith/Enunwa aside, that should leave space for 2 guys at most.  Considering age, salary, and developmental curve, you can argue Peake/Anderson/Marshall ahead of him or near equal.  This wasn't the case 2 years ago though.   

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

There aren't too many NFL WR's where first word you think of is spaz, but he was a spaz. Will be interesting to see if body control and eye hand coordination is actually something that can be taught or learned at the highest level. 

Honestly, I think he got lit up so many times that he started to hear footsteps.  He was one of the WRs that the whole targeting rule didn't apply to apparently, because he got knocked down hard so many times.  I think it hurt his development immensely, because he was hesitant to take that big hit after some time.  His second biggest problem was his feet, never could catch the ball in stride during games, always reset his feet like a center fielder about to jump at the wall instead of just running through (since there is no wall in play).  Even on screen passes, he would take an extra second to reset his feet, which would mean the defense had recovered.  In college, they ran an option play most of the time, so his main jobs catching wise were dedicated to go routes with the safety up, therefore less chance of being lit up.  I really wish we paired him with a younger Holmes/Braylon tandem because he would've been much better suited for that role with help.  

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

You had me all the way until that last part. I actually really disagreed with cutting Hill for some of the guys we kept.  There was still potential there and I'll be a little miffed if he does well next year.  Oh well though.  What's done is done.

If you agree getting cut may have helped him focus on playing at a higher level and that Lal was unable to develop a WR then I don't know how you can think we should have kept him. Staying here would have meant no change in attitude and continued coaching under Lal. Now if you want to suggest we should have kept Hill for another year but ditched Lal then that is an idea I could get behind.

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

If you agree getting cut may have helped him focus on playing at a higher level and that Lal was unable to develop a WR then I don't know how you can think we should have kept him. Staying here would have meant no change in attitude and continued coaching under Lal. Now if you want to suggest we should have kept Hill for another year but ditched Lal then that is an idea I could get behind.

Lal sucked but it didn't matter.  Hill can't run routes, has way too many drops and doesn't know to adjust to throw.  It's a shame because he has prototype size and speed yet Jerricho Cotchery on the same team with zero speed outperforms him because he knows how to play

A VERY talented WR who is not a natural pass catcher or route runner. That is what Stephen Hill is. Until I see him producing in NFL games, I can;t really see him as anything else.  

He can certainly improve on both of those things. But he's already had plenty of time to do so and has not really shown much improvement (I guess until now?).

Now, I got nothing against the guy, he's in the NFC and I wish him the best. I don't look at this as the Jets messed up by releasing him if he turns out to be a great player. He would be an example of a bad player that turned himself into a good player- there's no room for bad football players on an NFL roster, no matter how talented you might be, so the Jets did the right thing by moving on from Hill when they did. Kudos to Carolina, kudos to Hill if he ends up being successful.

But this is not really a Jets story at this point, IMO. Lets talk about how the Jets need to develop Peake, D.Smith, Anderson, etc. b/c they have moved on from Hill.  

The only thing Stephen Hill is 'breaking out'  in is hives and acne.. 

Seriously, if he becomes anything close to a decent player, I'll let an elephant take a dump in my ear. 

You know, one small criteria for a wide receiver, is, you know, the ability to, idk, actually catch the freakin ball? Yeah that's kind of a small detail sometimes but I hear it comes in handy for some receivers. 

To follow up, may I please ask why when a player is on our team we destroy them, but when they leave and they is anything close to positive news about a guy it's like why the hell did we get rid of him. Seriously almost everybody does it. If we cut milliner everybody would say oh thank God he sucks, then he will make 1 tackle and those same people come out and say well see I knew we shouldn't have. It's happened a billion times, and sometimes sure a player does pan out for another team but usually if a player gets released its typically for good reason.  I remember when Jalen Saunders had that td return and everybody was so quick to say what a mistake. What happened after that. Nothing. 

Is it hard to believe that even if we kept these players they would never reach their potential like a Woodhead? Sometimes a player will flourish elsewhere because of better coaching, they take it more serious, maybe they stay healthy, or just a change of scenery Is all it takes. There's a ton of variables. If you hold onto a player for 6 years and they stink, then they go on to be great, It probably would have never happened for our team, they just needed another coach to fix their problems. But most of the time, they continue to stink. 

I don't get it man, 

Archived