Tiny Linebacker

Harlemnite1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I would pay really good money to see MaineJet aka Harlemnite (like that hillbilly has ever stepped foot in Harlem) take a hand off from Fitz and meet the Tiny Linebacker at the goalline.

Oh how fun that would be!!!!

I hope he would hold him closer.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think Lee was a great pick for this team, particularly the way football is played in the NFL these days.  We play a 3-4 and not every LB should be a 6'4", 260 lb. thumper.  You get the good with the bad with a player like Lee.  The former Jet he reminds me of most is Jonathan Vilma (who turned out to be pretty good), except that Lee is slightly bigger than Vilma.

I think Darron will be fine in this defense.  It will be interesting, however, to see what personnel and alignment Bowles will want to use against powering running teams and formations.  Not every player is on the field in every situation.  Lee simply may be on the sideline when a sub package comes in on 1st and goal inside the 5.  That's not a knock on him, just reality.

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Doesn't make a difference.  This wasn't a player picked who everybody hated or was deemed a reach.  It's you and others guessing that he's to small.  Why?  Because.  Not one shred of proof that he won't be able to handle his role.  I don't profess to be a college or draft guru.  So wh n I read about his speed and tenacity whatever I'm glad.  let lee prove the pundits wrong the pn I'll complain, not before hand.  

That you think other positions were more important makes no difference, doesn't change whether he can handle the position.  But that you would rather they address another position so you're on a campaign to tell us what a guy you really have no idea about can't do.  

Again going against all th reports to discredit someone we haven't seen play is different from just hating on the first two picks.  

The guy was a consensus top 20 pick so it is not like he was some reach.  He will add a dimension to this defense we have never seen before and I predict all these negative nellies will be buying his jersey by mid season. 

6 hours ago, jamesr said:

I see Lee more likely to cover your running backs out the backfield on wheel routes ... you know, the ones that usually killed is every single game because Davis was so sloooooow.

Especially with the amount of nickel and dime formations the jets want to run. versatility and sideline to sideline speed is crucial

When I think of the GMs in the last few years Tannenbaum, Izdik and Mac I think Macc is a big improvement. I believe this guy knows talent. Could be wrong but 10-6 is a big turnaround in one year. I like his selections last yr. This year I'm cautiously optimistic. Time will tell. There's no doubt Lee is talented and has the heart and tools to be great. He was an impact player and leader in college. Don't forget this kid is 21 years old. He's got alot of growing to do size wise and football wise. Personally I think it's a good pick for a little guy. Ha!

4 hours ago, JetBlue said:

The guy was a consensus top 20 pick so it is not like he was some reach.  He will add a dimension to this defense we have never seen before and I predict all these negative nellies will be buying his jersey by mid season. 

Yeah, I don't get how liking a guy everyone had going anywhere from 15 or better to the spot we took him.  So how is that projecting that you like someone and the same as projecting he can't cut it in the NFL? 

18 hours ago, PepPep said:

Just posted this in another thread. But worth repeating. 

Can we stop talking about D.Lee like he is 'tiny'. He's not. He's the same size as NUMEROUS productive LBs in the NFL. 

He hasn't played a single down in the NFL yet, so even though I am excited to see what he can do, I'm not going to assume he will make an immediate impact. He should, and I think he will, but its not a given. But what I DO know is that he is NOT tiny when compared to lots of great NFL linebackers- SO GET OVER IT! Just because people keep repeating it, does not make it true.

D. Lee- 6'1, 235

L'Avonte David- 6'1, 233

Danny Trevathan- 6'1, 231 

Deone Bucannon- 6'1, 211

Kiko Alonso- 6'3, 238

Lawrence Timmons- 6,1, 234

Bobby Wagner- 6'0, 241

Brandon Marshal- 6'2, 238

Mychal Kendricks- 5'11, 239

D'Qwell Jackson- 6'0, 240

Telvin Smith- 6'3, 218

Denzel Perryman- 5'11, 236

Eric Kendricks- 6'0, 232

Ryan Shazier- 6'1, 237

And on and on and on...

Well, Bruce Carter has moved into Smuftette's spot. Harris ILB, Henderson ILB, Carter OLB and Jenkins OLB. We could have used that 20 pick on Paxton Lynch. 20 was really high for a special teams guy.

4 minutes ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Well, Bruce Carter has moved into Smuftette's spot. Harris ILB, Henderson ILB, Carter OLB and Jenkins OLB. We could have used that 20 pick on Paxton Lynch. 20 was really high for a special teams guy.

Laurence Taylor came into the nfl at 237

10 hours ago, MaxAF said:

When I think of the GMs in the last few years Tannenbaum, Izdik and Mac I think Macc is a big improvement. I believe this guy knows talent. Could be wrong but 10-6 is a big turnaround in one year. I like his selections last yr. This year I'm cautiously optimistic. Time will tell. There's no doubt Lee is talented and has the heart and tools to be great. He was an impact player and leader in college. Don't forget this kid is 21 years old. He's got alot of growing to do size wise and football wise. Personally I think it's a good pick for a little guy. Ha!

I agree with your accessment of Macc. I think the Jets finally have a GM that has a scouting background. Really like his draft last year but this years was a head scratcher. We didn't need a tiny linebacker and definitely didn't need a shellshocked QB in the 2nd round. But I like Jenkins, Burris, Shell and Peake.

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I still think Lee was a great pick for this team, particularly the way football is played in the NFL these days.  We play a 3-4 and not every LB should be a 6'4", 260 lb. thumper.  You get the good with the bad with a player like Lee.  The former Jet he reminds me of most is Jonathan Vilma (who turned out to be pretty good), except that Lee is slightly bigger than Vilma.

I think Darron will be fine in this defense.  It will be interesting, however, to see what personnel and alignment Bowles will want to use against powering running teams and formations.  Not every player is on the field in every situation.  Lee simply may be on the sideline when a sub package comes in on 1st and goal inside the 5.  That's not a knock on him, just reality.

I'd expect in more run based defenses you'll see a lot more of Harris / Henderson. Lee will initially be in more on passing downs, but as he grows into the role he may become more of an every down guy. Depends if they want him to add bulk, or stay as he is. But whatever he is / does in Year 1, it won't necessarily dictate what he is / does in future years for us. Though I'm sure he'll be pigeon-holed after his first game (probably even first preseason game) as a situational player (or outright bust) just because he doesn't take on linemen and knock down running backs in the backfield on every play. (I swear Rex's obsession with stopping the run above all else has permanently damaged this fan base).

15 hours ago, JiF said:

I would pay really good money to see MaineJet aka Harlemnite (like that hillbilly has ever stepped foot in Harlem) take a hand off from Fitz and meet the Tiny Linebacker at the goalline.

Oh how fun that would be!!!!

I'll do it as I'm much bigger than Little Lee. You need to see some pictures of my neighborhood in Harlem? Tell you exactly what street I grew up on also. Where you repping the suburbs or your parent basement still?

The NFL is a "situational" game now. It looks like a Chinese fire drill between downs. Who cares that Lee was taken @ 20 & he's not on the field for all 3 downs? Harris won't be on the field all 3 downs either & we pay him 10 million a year.

Until Lee is up to speed he's going to be developed slowly & taught fundamentals. It will also depend on the score, if the Jets jump on someone & get up 10-13 points in the 2nd half & Bowles thinks teams will try to throw on 1st down, he might want Lees speed on the field. 

He might be a situational blitzer in 3rd & longs. As long as he's contributing, I could care less that he's not on the field 100%. Unlike another 1st rounder like Coples who was on the field all of the time & was invisible. Lee is Bowles binky, his very own Swiss Army knife. Guarantee you Bowles is the one that will groom Lee, Rogers & Pepper are coaching him but Bowles has a vision for what he wants him to be.

5 minutes ago, Harlemnite1 said:

I'll do it as I'm much bigger than Little Lee. You need to see some pictures of my neighborhood in Harlem? Tell you exactly what street I grew up on also. Where you repping the suburbs or your parent basement still?

So you are definitely Mainejet posting under an alias screen name after getting banned?  We could not be sure because your IP came back from all over the place.  Don't want to ban you again because this thread has brought me happiness.  Could you try to not flame the entire board with every single post?  Please?

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

So you are definitely Mainejet posting under an alias screen name after getting banned?  We could not be sure because your IP came back from all over the place.  Don't want to ban you again because this thread has brought me happiness.  Could you try to not flame the entire board with every single post?  Please?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I am who I say I am and I have no idea who MaineJets is. I was on this site a long, long  time ago took a break and had a couple of computers crash. Stop with the paranoia.

4 minutes ago, Harlemnite1 said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. I am who I say I am and I have no idea who MaineJets is. I was on this site a long, long  time ago took a break and had a couple of computers crash. Stop with the paranoia.

Ok.  Fair enough.  

37 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

This comparing of Wee Lee to L.Taylor , Patrick Willis and some current all pro's is absurd.

I get it. The size of the fight in the dog and all that and of course I am hoping he pans out but let him play a game or 2 first.

Right, I agree, let's see if he pans out, let him play some actual NFL games before we critique him as a player, etc., etc.

But the comparisons are STRICTLY RE: his SIZE.  And you don't need to wait for anything. Just look at some of the starting LBs in the NFL. THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE! They came into the league at the same size. All of this junk about Lee being too small is just that, JUNK. There's no merit to it. Nobody is saying Lee will be as good as one of the best LBs EVER. They are just saying, hey, they are similar in size, so quit calling him tiny- its dumb. Just look at the title of this thread. Its ridiculous.   

19 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Right, I agree, let's see if he pans out, let him play some actual NFL games before we critique him as a player, etc., etc.

But the comparisons are STRICTLY RE: his SIZE.  And you don't need to wait for anything. Just look at some of the starting LBs in the NFL. THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE! They came into the league at the same size. All of this junk about Lee being too small is just that, JUNK. There's no merit to it. Nobody is saying Lee will be as good as one of the best LBs EVER. They are just saying, hey, they are similar in size, so quit calling him tiny- its dumb. Just look at the title of this thread. Its ridiculous.   

Agree until the title part.  That part is pretty sweet.  

2 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Perfect.  MaineJet vs. Lee.  Set it up at practice Maxman .  Let MaineJet get treated like he treats Bambi. 

2 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Ah, yes, as neither street names/numbers or photos of Harlem can be found on Google.

On August 4, 2016 at 11:39 AM, PepPep said:

Ok. So before the Jets took Lee, FOR ME, he was flying under the radar as a prospect the Jets might target. I thought they would be looking at T.Decker, Spence, Nkemdiche (b/c I thought Wilk would get traded), P.Lynch and Treadwell.   

Once the Jets drafted him, I started looking closer at him as a prospect (draft profiles, measurables, stats, tape) and really liked everything I saw and read.

First, let's start off with his character. This guy is a leader and as hard-working as they come. Coming out of high school as a QB he had to gain 35lbs and work his way onto a loaded OSU defense. Once he got the chance to play he was one of the standouts making impact play after impact play. His numbers don't lie.  3rd in tackles, 2nd in tackles for loss, 2nd in sacks on a team with Joey Bosa and Vonn Bell, just to name a couple draftees. Oh, and they won the nation championship. So he's a winner, a leader, a hard worker, and has no off field issues.  

Lee also has a nose for the ball. He has great field vision and awareness. Maybe this is something he gained when playing QB? But the fact is, he reads plays well, and is always around the ball. This is, in part, what makes him a play-maker and allows him to be versatile. Speaking of which. Don't put Lee in a box. He can do a little bit of everything and is just scratching the surface. He has the speed and ability to cover in man or zone. He can be an effective spy. He has a knack for shooting the gaps vs the run. He is fast and athletic enough to blitz off the edge. He can roam sideline to sideline and chase down RBs like a safety. He can literally do a little bit of everything defensively and well, in high school did pretty much everything as well- QB, WR, S, KR. Not that high school matters, but it shows he has always been a versatile athlete.   

The reason he was drafted in the first round is b/c of 2 things- speed and athleticism. This guys is a fantastic athlete and can fly all over the field. Elite athletes go early in the draft, unless they have major character concerns, history of injury or are extremely raw (projects). Lee has none of those issues.  

Forget about his size (I'm not even going to go into the fact that there's a slew of great LB's in the NFL that weight the same and stand just as tall), the above should tell you everything you need to now about this kid and his potential. 

You can put on tape and see some missed tackles and big TE's or O-linemen pushing Lee out of the play. But mostly, you will see him flying all over the field making plays, against the run, in coverage, as a blitzer and constantly being around the ball. 

I truly believe, at worst, he will be a jack of all trade type player who can do a little bit of everything but not really develop into an every down player. At best, he will be a versatile every down LB that can do it all, the type new hybrid LB that the NFL is transitioning to. It's definitely worth the gamble. Give the kid a chance. He will be playing on defense with a stacked D-line and a coach that knows how to utilize a player with his skills.          

That's just not enough for Jet fans, remember this is our 1st round pick!!! Number 20 man!!! If Lee can't propel himself in the air like a f*cking missile & literally put a hole through a running back trying to get the edge he's a bust!!!

If he can't shake off a 350Lb Olineman with just a forearm shiver, he's a bust!!! If he can't hold Gronk catchless for eight consecutive quarters when we play the Pats, he's a bust!!!

If he can't leap over the entire offensive line & land on the QB at his 3rd step in his drop back without an offside penalty he's a bust!!!

Jet fans have high f*cking standards, especially if your picked 20th overall! I mean look at our other picks in the 1st round, guys like Venon Gholston, Dustin Keller, Mark Sanchez, Kyle Wilson, Quinton Copes, Dee Milliner. I mean seriously folks, we have high f*cking standards when it comes to our 1st round picks!

Maybe we're on a roll...Sheldon Richardson, Calvin Pryor, Leonard Williams, Darron Lee. Looks like start of an awesome nucleus to me. Next few years the Oline.

23 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He'll be worth the 20th pick when he fills the need and position they took him to fill.  Not when internet GMs like us come up with our list of requirements.  

Difference is some of us who have no clue what he will or wont become go with what others are saying and put our faith in the Macc & Co until proven otherwise.  Others immediately think the know more, hate on picks and players until proven otherwise.   Ala Pryor 

I thought we take the best player regardless of position (unless it's ultra-redundant at a position we already have locked up for the next few years). Now we use 1st round draft picks based on position and present need? So help me...if you're right we are doomed long term. 

If you're targeting a particular position, you fill that in FA. You don't use a 1st round pick on such a player; 1st rounders are for the types of players you can't get in FA, or who are so ultra-expensive in FA.

The sad reality - and the only reason I don't like the pick (before seeing him play 1 snap) - is that a niche ILB like that may not even be worth the 5th year option money if he's NOT a bust. The 5th year option for a LB drafted in 2013 is $8.4M (which would probably be top-5 compensation for the position). Yes the cap will go up, but so will that 5th year option amount. Should have picked up Trevathan as a $6M FA and used the round 1 pick on a high money position. He's going to have to be awesome, and not merely a decent role player, to get me to feel otherwise. Draft a LT at #20 and if he's merely decent but not awesome, then it's still a good pick.

Safety and ILB, lol. Two of our last 3 first rounders have been cheapie FA positions (what's next, TE?). That's already meh unless he was far and away the best player available on the board. If he was truly drafted to play a role and fill a hole, then I'm sorry but that's horribly myopic GMing. So I hope you're dead wrong as to why he was taken.

35 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I thought we take the best player regardless of position (unless it's ultra-redundant at a position we already have locked up for the next few years). Now we use 1st round draft picks based on position and present need? So help me...if you're right we are doomed long term. 

If you're targeting a particular position, you fill that in FA. You don't use a 1st round pick on such a player; 1st rounders are for the types of players you can't get in FA, or who are so ultra-expensive in FA.

The sad reality - and the only reason I don't like the pick (before seeing him play 1 snap) - is that a niche ILB like that may not even be worth the 5th year option money if he's NOT a bust. The 5th year option for a LB drafted in 2013 is $8.4M (which would probably be top-5 compensation for the position). Yes the cap will go up, but so will that 5th year option amount. Should have picked up Trevathan as a $6M FA and used the round 1 pick on a high money position. He's going to have to be awesome, and not merely a decent role player, to get me to feel otherwise. Draft a LT at #20 and if he's merely decent but not awesome, then it's still a good pick.

Safety and ILB, lol. Two of our last 3 first rounders have been cheapie FA positions (what's next, TE?). That's already meh unless he was far and away the best player available on the board. If he was truly drafted to play a role and fill a hole, then I'm sorry but that's horribly myopic GMing. So I hope you're dead wrong as to why he was taken.

Except you completely missed the point.  Beer said he'll be a bust if he isn't on th field every snap.  I say he'll be fine if he does what he's supposed to do, even if he has to sit one down. 

Nowhere did I say we scrap BPA. 

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Except you completely missed the point.  Beer said he'll be a bust if he isn't on th field every snap.  I say he'll be fine if he does what he's supposed to do, even if he has to sit one down. 

Nowhere did I say we scrap BPA. 

And no where did i say he would bust if he is not on the field all downs.  I said he would not be worthy of that #20 pick in the draft if he was a situational player unless he makes just a ton of huge plays, sacks, ints, forcing turnovers.

Archived