Tom Jackson retires from ESPN

Integrity28

He was the only tolerable humanoid in that channel's football lineup.

Now, who will quietly hang, then shake their head in disgust at the over-the-top stupidity of the rest of the panel? Who I ask???? WHO??????

ESPN’s Tom Jackson to Retire After 29 Years

fffa448bc11a8c268496363cfa38a33a?s=45&d=

By      

Posted on 

AddThis Sharing Buttons
4.1K286

2015 Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award Recipient to Make Final ESPN Appearance at Pro Football Hall of Fame This Weekend

Photos via ESPN Images

ESPN Front Row Tribute

NFL analyst Tom Jackson has made the decision to retire from broadcasting, concluding a remarkable 29-year career at ESPN. A Hall of Fame broadcaster, Jackson joined the company in 1987 as one of ESPN’s first NFL analysts following an outstanding 14-year playing career with the Denver Broncos. He will work his final assignment this week (Aug. 6-7) at Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinement weekend in Canton, Ohio.

“I have been blessed in my adult life to work for two companies, the Denver Broncos and ESPN, to do two things that I love – play football and talk about football,” said Jackson.

He added: “Having joined in the early stages of ESPN and remained with the same company for 29 years is especially gratifying. The friendships made are too numerous to mention but I know that many of them will last a lifetime. I also want to thank all the fans who supported me over the years and made my job so enjoyable. This move just comes at a time when the priority of my life is spending time with my family.”

Jackson has been a mainstay on ESPN’s NFL programs alongside Chris Berman for nearly three decades. Together, they became one of sports television’s longest-running and most-beloved duos. Jackson joined ESPN’s newly formed Sunday NFL Countdown pregame show (then NFL GameDay) in 1987. That same year, he and Berman also became partners on NFL PrimeTime. Spanning 19 years (1987-2005) on Sunday nights, PrimeTime was the preeminent NFL highlights show and the highest-rated studio program on cable television.

In addition to Sundays, Jackson has been part of ESPN’s Monday Night Countdown pregame show, as well as the company’s year-round NFL coverage of major events, including the Super Bowl, Pro Bowl, NFL Draft and Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinement weekend. He was also part of ABC’s Super Bowl XL pre-game show in 2006. One of the industry’s most respected analysts, Jackson has been a strong voice on football topics and on broader social issues that often intersect with sports.

ESPN President John Skipper said: “Tom has been an integral part of ESPN’s presentation of the NFL for three decades.  His partnership with Chris Berman has been a signature for us and a treasure for fans.  His influence as a trusted voice and mentor for the generation of players who followed him is an important part of his legacy.  Tom is as widely respected internally as anyone in our company, not to mention beloved.  He has been a pleasure to work with and he will always be an ESPN family member.”

In 2015, Jackson was honored by the Pro Football Hall of Fame with the distinguished Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award for longtime exceptional contributions to radio and television in professional football. He earned a Sports Emmy award as Outstanding Studio Analyst in 2009 and the Best Sports Analyst Cable Ace in 1996. He also helped Sunday NFL Countdown earn seven Sports Emmy awards for Outstanding Weekly Studio Show.

Jackson played his entire NFL career with the Denver Broncos, appearing in three Pro Bowls and two Super Bowls as a linebacker in the team’s famed “Orange Crush” defense. In 1992, he was inducted into the Broncos’ Ring of Fame.

ESPN’s Chris Berman on his longtime partner and friend Tom Jackson:

“Every day working with Tom was a treasure. I know every day he appeared on ESPN was a treasure for football fans. His knowledge, his passion, his insight, and his overall joie de vivre makes him special – in fact, makes him unique. I was lucky to spend 29 years of football weekends with him. In television that’s almost two lifetimes. Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon were together for 31 years – enough said.

“Tom long ago became almost a brother to me. We completed each other’s sentences, listened to the same music, laughed together and sometimes cried together. Oh yes, we enjoyed football together. What was a day with Tom Jackson like? Like the Temptations sang, ‘I’ve got sunshine on a cloudy day’.” 

ESPN executives and co-workers share their thoughts on Tom Jackson’s illustrious career:

“Tom set the bar that all NFL analysts should strive to meet. His opinion and analysis made us smarter for 29 years. As good as he is in front of the camera, he is an even better person off camera. He is the kindest and most generous co-worker you could ever want.”

Stephanie Druley, Senior Vice President, Event and Studio Production, who worked with Jackson on Sunday NFL Countdown for more than a decade as the show’s senior coordinating producer and coordinating producer

“What has always stood out to me about Tom is his meticulous preparation. I have never seen anyone dedicate the time and effort into preparing for every segment of every show the way he does. He was also the first NFL analyst to really bring a social consciousness to pregame shows. NFL Sundays just won’t be the same without him.”

Seth Markman, ESPN senior coordinating producer of NFL studio shows

“While we are going to miss Tom Jackson the colleague, nothing shakes the legacy he is leaving. He has been the greatest voice of reason in our medium. I am sad but I am glad that I gained something that will never be lost – a best friend who happens to be the best husband and father I know.”

Chris Mortensen, ESPN senior NFL analyst, who has worked with Jackson since 1991

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Pretty good guy for most of the years he was on there but he morphed into the same type of shot term reactionary know it all as the rest of them in the end.

Agreed.  I cant even watch ESPN anymore.  Tom unfortunately fell into the trap of sh*t.  Maybe why he retired? 

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Pretty good guy for most of the years he was on there but he morphed into the same type of shot term reactionary know it all as the rest of them in the end.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  I cant even watch ESPN anymore.  Tom unfortunately fell into the trap of sh*t.  Maybe why he retired? 

It's not a "trap", it's called having a boss.

He's probably got some over-promoted mid-level director trying to push the station in new directions, steering him towards the jackassery. I don't think he shifted by choice, but more out of wanting to keep his job. As in, "Tom listen, this is what we're going for now on the show...", which probably has him working outside his comfort zone, and as such, doing a crappy job.

I'm projecting a bit of my own circumstances here, because it's relevant. :)

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It's not a "trap", it's called having a boss.

He's probably got some over-promoted mid-level director trying to push the station in new directions, steering him towards the jackassery. I don't think he shifted by choice, but more out of wanting to keep his job. As in, "Tom listen, this is what we're going for now on the show...", which probably has him working outside his comfort zone, and as such, doing a crappy job.

I'm projecting a bit of my own circumstances here, because it's relevant. :)

ESPN is getting rid of high priced talent like Jackson and Berman to save money

The real reason Schilling got fired was he was making $2.5 million

10 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

ESPN is getting rid of high priced talent like Jackson and Berman to save money

The real reason Schilling got fired was he was making $2.5 million

And to allow them to bring in young, liberal minded folks.  I can't believe they have analysts for the WNBA.

who is watching????   

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

And to allow them to bring in young, liberal minded folks.  I can't believe they have analysts for the WNBA.

who is watching????   

Or maybe just young folks who resonate better with the market segment they are targeting.

For as good as he used to be, ESPN could use a few less people on their shows anyway. Just like the conventions with some of the national outlets having roundtables of like 8 panelists, it's too much and people trying to talk over one another. Hell, they could stand for a complete overhaul of some of their "talent". I can stand to watch about 10 minutes of the pre-game and post-game stuff before I have to switch it to something else.

29 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

For as good as he used to be, ESPN could use a few less people on their shows anyway. Just like the conventions with some of the national outlets having roundtables of like 8 panelists, it's too much and people trying to talk over one another. Hell, they could stand for a complete overhaul of some of their "talent". I can stand to watch about 10 minutes of the pre-game and post-game stuff before I have to switch it to something else.

Agree completely.  Way too many uninteresting jocks on those shows

36 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Or maybe just young folks who resonate better with the market segment they are targeting.

I hear that ESPN is losing sales volume and profit is down.  I doubt it professionally that your theory is correct. I have never, not once, met someone who even remotely follows the WNBA.   THe young market you mention is not a large consumer per se. Men between 25 and 55 is the commercial market. 

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I hear that ESPN is losing sales volume and profit is down.  I doubt it professionally that your theory is correct. I have never, not once, met someone who even remotely follows the WNBA.   THe young market you mention is not a large consumer per se. Men between 25 and 55 is the commercial market. 

Espn is losing revenue primarily because the landscape for them has changed and they have been slow to adapt. A big part of their business is cable viewership and they were and are way behind on catering to online and mobile viewership. They also over time have faced rising costs for the major sports contracts i.e MNF and increased competition to competitors who eat away at their market share (nfl network, mlb network, mlb teams and college sports conferences all creating their own networks. 

Hence declining sales leading to cutting costs and on air pricey talent is a big bullseye especially as the major market of young males you are talking about care less about older players and older on air talent. 

On that note, i think it's more than plausible that integrity is right about the execs focusing on what is working on talk radio and print and tv viewership which is controversial takes and idiots like skip bayless and colin cowherd actually having jobs for as long as they did. 

Also, women's sports is clearly not meant for you and me because we're guys. doesn't mean they should necessarily ignore trying to expand their target demographic to women. 

Jackson will always be remembered for his comment saying, "the players hate their coach" after the Pats cut Lawyer Milloy right before the season started.

Then they went on to win the Super Bowl that year..ouch. 

I liked Tom because he deep down hated the f*cking Patriots, Belichick, the whiney Tom Brady. Tom was a Bronco through & through so even though he was trying to be non biased his hate for those Patriots would slip through now & then. You gotta love him just for that alone.

6 hours ago, PCP63 said:

One of the few I liked (the others being Casserly, Hodge, Gruden, and Simmons).

Especially you, TOM JACKSON!

Have to say I CANNOT STAND HODGE & his stupid giant knotted ties & fake hair. Guy is so full of himself & so wrong most of the time.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Have to say I CANNOT STAND HODGE & his stupid giant knotted ties & fake hair. Guy is so full of himself & so wrong most of the time.

I agree he's almost always mostly wrong, but the guy is so damn passionate about the little details. Of the 4 I posted, he's the one I like the least (with Gruden and Simmons being the most).

14 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Espn is losing revenue primarily because the landscape for them has changed and they have been slow to adapt. A big part of their business is cable viewership and they were and are way behind on catering to online and mobile viewership. They also over time have faced rising costs for the major sports contracts i.e MNF and increased competition to competitors who eat away at their market share (nfl network, mlb network, mlb teams and college sports conferences all creating their own networks. 

Hence declining sales leading to cutting costs and on air pricey talent is a big bullseye especially as the major market of young males you are talking about care less about older players and older on air talent. 

On that note, i think it's more than plausible that integrity is right about the execs focusing on what is working on talk radio and print and tv viewership which is controversial takes and idiots like skip bayless and colin cowherd actually having jobs for as long as they did. 

Also, women's sports is clearly not meant for you and me because we're guys. doesn't mean they should necessarily ignore trying to expand their target demographic to women. 

Understood. Well articulated for a JETS fan. :)

In fact, I will and do watch some women sports.  Soccer, Tennis, Golf, NCAA hoops in tourney time.  NEVER WNBA.  My point is no one watches it, they've tried to expand it, it wont.  More teams have folded than are still alive. They lose money, seat around 500 to 2,000 per game. Its not working but IMO ESPN placates the politically correct by covering it with color analysts, etc. like its the NBA.  

I dont think they are trying to expand it. They KNOW it wont. They simply have to, like a Title 9 for TV.

On the cost side, I do tax work for a few ESPN guys (one you would know). They have a big center here in Charlotte.  For years, these guys were treated like contractors. So..a cameraman for example, making $150K received 150K, no benefits etc. He paid his own taxes etc.

NO MORE....  Government (rightfully so IMO) said not legal.  That absolutely drove up costs. These guys now get 401K, Benny's, etc.

I also thought Jackson was a bright spot in a world gone mad/bad.  Like some others here in this thread however I also felt that he got caught up in the "analyst" race to the bottom in recent years.  Team orders, a survival instinct or a bit of both?  Who knows, but perhaps the prospect of another year spent in a race towards even more edginess was finally outside of Tom's comfort level.

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Understood. Well articulated for a JETS fan. :)

In fact, I will and do watch some women sports.  Soccer, Tennis, Golf, NCAA hoops in tourney time.  NEVER WNBA.  My point is no one watches it, they've tried to expand it, it wont.  More teams have folded than are still alive. They lose money, seat around 500 to 2,000 per game. Its not working but IMO ESPN placates the politically correct by covering it with color analysts, etc. like its the NBA.  

I dont think they are trying to expand it. They KNOW it wont. They simply have to, like a Title 9 for TV.

On the cost side, I do tax work for a few ESPN guys (one you would know). They have a big center here in Charlotte.  For years, these guys were treated like contractors. So..a cameraman for example, making $150K received 150K, no benefits etc. He paid his own taxes etc.

NO MORE....  Government (rightfully so IMO) said not legal.  That absolutely drove up costs. These guys now get 401K, Benny's, etc.

Ah good to know. The wnba point specifically is pretty valid. It's a pretty bad sign when their own star players tend to make more money overseas than here. I'm honestly surprised the league itself hasn't folded by now. Inferior product and minimal visibility. 

Always will remember him most back when Prime Time was the definitive football highlight show. Was a shame that NBC took over with "Football Night in America". Hate that with a passion and really have never watched since it's inception. 

Enjoy your retiement TJ

On 8/5/2016 at 2:39 PM, Beerfish said:

With information and games readily available to anyone, pregame shows are pointless. But the networks feel the obligation to keep them going and they do get ratings. At a loss how there are so many slackjawed types waiting around to hear Michael Strahan or Ray Lewis's brilliant insights into sack dances and end zone celebrations. And ESPN would wither and die if they stopped with all their BS shows. The ads are mostly for beer, tortilla chips and sheety chain restaurants, so they do know the market who watches this crap. But with the growth of uncoupling for cable it ESPN might wither anyway.At one time in the 1990s it was a valuable Disney property, but not any more. 

On 8/5/2016 at 4:03 PM, southparkcpa said:

The WNBA is a loss leader they have to take to butter up the NBA for real basketball games. It couldn't get a TV deal standing on it's own other than make good one where they get crappy time slots and sell their own ads. EPL broadcasting on early weekend mornings with NBC is a way more valuable property. In fact the WNBA may have no value at all to TV and arenas spare taking up some dead spots in their schedules. Women do not watch sports spare a few events, like big tennis tournaments and Olympic figure skating. And they aren't nearly as reliable viewers as men. 

Live sports are still valuable. It's why MLB is still in business and will be for a very long time despite some awful trends. Simply there isn't much on TV during the summer to compete with it. And between all the rights fees to pro leagues and NCAA costing gobs of money more and more ESPN has to  cut costs to compete with streaming. Because a lot of those properties are either going to demand even more fees for live sports or  will be streaming them themselves and selling ads and cut out the networks completely. 

Archived