Slightly OT: Fisher and Rams Hard Knocks

JohnnyLV

Did anyone watch Hard Knocks? 

Of all the seasons, I think I am so far least impressed by Jeff Fisher. He just comes across as an arrogant lazy "tenured" head coach douchenozzle. I mean I don't think I ever heard him mention the word team. Everything was "I". His cutting of that one player was uber lame. I have always thought he was well spoken in an interview but insanely overrated as a head coach and Hard Knocks makes me think he is even worse than I even imagined.

I heard them talking about it this morning on Boston sports radio. Basically dumping on Fisher for cutting the guy for having a girl in the room past curfew.

All I could think was: If Beli had done this, the narrative would be "he's got his eyes on every detail, this is why he's a genius, yada, yada, yada..."

Hard Knocks is stupid. Rex greatest moment was that show.

I have ZERO problems with cutting the kid.The kid was a fringe player that broke the rules. If you are trying to make a roster and you break the rules in week 1, expect to get cut. If that was Gurley or Goff would the kid have been cut? Of course not, but that is the life of a fringe NFL player. 

As for Fisher, he seems to be a solid head coach that runs a pretty tight ship. Is he charismatic like Rex or Bill Obrien? No. But a Hard Knocks involving Bill Belichick would be pretty boring as well. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I heard them talking about it this morning on Boston sports radio. Basically dumping on Fisher for cutting the guy for having a girl in the room past curfew.

All I could think was: If Beli had done this, the narrative would be "he's got his eyes on every detail, this is why he's a genius, yada, yada, yada..."

Hard Knocks is stupid. Rex greatest moment was that show.

Shake weights FTW!!!

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Did anyone watch Hard Knocks? 

Of all the seasons, I think I am so far least impressed by Jeff Fisher. He just comes across as an arrogant lazy "tenured" head coach douchenozzle. I mean I don't think I ever heard him mention the word team. Everything was "I". His cutting of that one player was uber lame. I have always thought he was well spoken in an interview but insanely overrated as a head coach and Hard Knocks makes me think he is even worse than I even imagined.

there's a reason he goes 7-9 almost every year

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I have ZERO problems with cutting the kid.The kid was a fringe player that broke the rules. If you are trying to make a roster and you break the rules in week 1, expect to get cut. If that was Gurley or Goff would the kid have been cut? Of course not, but that is the life of a fringe NFL player. 

As for Fisher, he seems to be a solid head coach that runs a pretty tight ship. Is he charismatic like Rex or Bill Obrien? No. But a Hard Knocks involving Bill Belichick would be pretty boring as well. 

It's beyond me why Fisher gets a free pass every year.   Totally overrated as a HC and still living off of a super bowl appearance almost 20 years ago.   

I'm a big fan of Fischer. I understand where everyone is coming from and he certainly earned his spot on the hot seat this coming year, but I've always been a fan of his coaching style. Ive always liked his defenses. He can get aggressive on both sides of the ball. I like his demeanor. 

Ive always been a fan. That 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 sh*t gets old fast with ownership and fans..plus, they're now in LA and I can see them wanting a "headline" name like gruden or someone like that.

So his head is on the chopping block. Let's see what he can do and I'll either eat crow at the end of the year or I get to say."I always knew I should've been a GM." People on this site love sayin that sh*t-I can't wait!

RVINE, Calif. -- And yet another lesson to be learned when your nearly every move and sentence is being recorded for public consumption.

Mom is watching.

Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher learned that after the first episode of the HBO "Hard Knocks" documentary series aired Tuesday night, capturing him using some R-rated language. The next day, a phone call came.

"I got one of these yesterday, 'Jeffrey!'" Fisher said Thursday. "This is from Mom. So I said, 'Sorry, Mom. That's our world. I'll try to do better.'"

"When I hear 'Jeffrey!' It's uh-oh. Something went wrong."

• 3 weeks later...

They're strength coach Rock is awesome. Not only is he the head strength coach but he'll take snaps under center for the QB's and does what essentially amounts to cutting guys.  Also just seems like a great guy, I can see why even at 70 years old he still wants to be so involved in coaching.

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Hard Knocks has become a bore - it was fun at first and probably peaked with the Jets season. Nobody cares about the Rams....

Agree but I still find myself watching it.  I don't look forward to it like I used to but it's entertaining when I'm looking for something to watch.

On August 11, 2016 at 3:54 PM, dbatesman said:

Jeff Fisher has been an NFL head coach for 21 (!) years and has made the playoffs 6 times. Not sure why anyone would need to hear him mic'd up to realize he sucks out loud.

Every HC's wet dream should be to lose a super bowl earlier enough in his career. Then bank.

I remember Monday Night Football during the Herman Edwards era, and Herm actually got the best of Fisher with playcalling, time management, etc.

Herm. 

That being said, Is Jeff Fisher overrated? It depends on who you are comparing him to

The bottom line is there's not a head coach store you can go and pick up an NFL head coach. It's a job (like QB) where the demand greatly outweighs the supply. 

He is an actual NFL head coach. Which is more than can be said about some of the greatest football minds in the country, for example Nick Saban. 

On 8/11/2016 at 3:54 PM, dbatesman said:

Jeff Fisher has been an NFL head coach for 21 (!) years and has made the playoffs 6 times. Not sure why anyone would need to hear him mic'd up to realize he sucks out loud.

My favorite part of the show was when he was addressing the team giving them the...."I'm not excepting 8-8.  8-8 isnt good enough.  I'm not an 8-8 coach and this isnt an 8-8 team." something along those lines...yet, he hasnt had a winning season since 2008.

On 8/11/2016 at 5:11 PM, LionelRichie said:

It's beyond me why Fisher gets a free pass every year.   Totally overrated as a HC and still living off of a super bowl appearance almost 20 years ago.   

On the other hand how many playoff games has Marvin Lewis won in 13 years?? 

Just now, Savage69 said:

On the other hand how many playoff games has Marvin Lewis won in 13 years?? 

on the other-other hand what was Cinci like before Lewis came to town? 

in general playoff wins can be overrated. See Sanchez, Mark. It's a single elimination tourney at the end of the year, when inclement weather plays a role. In other words the NFL playoffs are a crap shoot.

Whether a team stays healthy or gets hot isn't really on the HC. Getting them there, giving them the chance, that can be a reflection on the program as a whole. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

on the other-other hand what was Cinci like before Lewis came to town? 

in general playoff wins can be overrated. See Sanchez, Mark. It's a single elimination tourney at the end of the year, when inclement weather plays a role. In other words the NFL playoffs are a crap shoot.

Whether a team stays healthy or gets hot isn't really on the HC. Getting them there, giving them the chance, that can be a reflection on the program as a whole. 

Super Bowl loss in the last minute to Montana's 49'ers comes to mind..

Archived