Jim Irsay on why Andrew Luck benched against Bills: "Rex has never heard of the word 'Preseason'"

Jetsfan80

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17297399/buffalo-bills-coach-rex-ryan-takes-exception-indianapolis-colts-owner-jim-irsay-tweet-sitting-andrew-luck-preseason-game

Colts owner Jim Irsay implies Rex Ryan takes preseason too seriously

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Rex Ryan took exception to Colts owner Jim Irsay's suggestion that the reason Indianapolis sat Andrew Luck was that the Buffalo Bills coach doesn't let up in the preseason.

"Take a look at the tapes, and see how many times we blitzed," Ryan said before pausing to collect his thoughts.

"I can tell you one thing, [Colts coach] Chuck Pagano's a good friend of mine, a legitimate, good friend of mine. I have way more respect for him than I do others."

Ryan's comment was clearly directed at Irsay following Buffalo's preseason-opening 19-18 loss to the Colts on Saturday night.

Two hours before the game, Irsay announced on his Twitter account that the Colts would wait until next week at home for Luck to make his first preseason start.

Colts Fans; it's a long Pre-Season and 2 Home Games are coming in the next 2 Weeks..Look for #12 to make 1st Start then instead of tonight.

Irsay followed with a second tweet:

.... Yes,there is some truth on this dark,rainy night; that my good friend Rex...has never heard of the word.... PRESEASON?!!!

Pagano said it was his decision to sit Luck against Buffalo. Pagano didn't waver when reminded that he was prepared to have Luck play a week earlier against Green Bay in the Hall of Fame game, before it was canceled because of an unplayable field.

"It's one of the benefits that you get when you're the head coach," Pagano said with a smile. "You get to decide who plays and who doesn't play."

Without Luck, backups Scott Tolzien and Stephen Morris teamed up to pull off a victory.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Didn't this thread happen already?

It was mentioned briefly in the "Da Bills" thread before it went completely off the rails for other reasons, as per usual.  So I decided to make it a topic of its own.  Seemed like a juicy topic.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

It was mentioned briefly in the "Da Bills" thread before it went completely off the rails for other reasons, as per usual.  So I decided to make it a topic of its own.  Seemed like a juicy topic.

About every active thread on the main page took a sharp turn towards Geno yesterday, for obvious reasons.

Fair enough.

**** Rex. LOL

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Irsay is dead wrong.  Rex should do whatever Rex thinks is needed to get his team ready to play.  Irsay should stop whining about it and HTFU.

Irsay isnt whining as much as answering Why he didnt play his  franchise player.

If REX wants to over play his starters and put them at risk, he can.

Neither is wrong IMO.

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Irsay isnt whining as much as answering Why he didnt play his  franchise player.

Neither is wrong IMO.

Yup.  Only fault here lies with NFL for robbing season ticket holders for worthless practices/scrimmages which they call games.

Rex n Colts just preparing their teams the best they can.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Yup.  Only fault here lies with NFL for robbing season ticket holders for worthless practices/scrimmages which they call games.

Rex n Colts just preparing their teams the best they can.

agreed. Paying anywhere near full price for pre season is robbery.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17297399/buffalo-bills-coach-rex-ryan-takes-exception-indianapolis-colts-owner-jim-irsay-tweet-sitting-andrew-luck-preseason-game

Colts owner Jim Irsay implies Rex Ryan takes preseason too seriously

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Rex Ryan took exception to Colts owner Jim Irsay's suggestion that the reason Indianapolis sat Andrew Luck was that the Buffalo Bills coach doesn't let up in the preseason.

"Take a look at the tapes, and see how many times we blitzed," Ryan said before pausing to collect his thoughts.

"I can tell you one thing, [Colts coach] Chuck Pagano's a good friend of mine, a legitimate, good friend of mine. I have way more respect for him than I do others."

Ryan's comment was clearly directed at Irsay following Buffalo's preseason-opening 19-18 loss to the Colts on Saturday night.

Two hours before the game, Irsay announced on his Twitter account that the Colts would wait until next week at home for Luck to make his first preseason start.

Colts Fans; it's a long Pre-Season and 2 Home Games are coming in the next 2 Weeks..Look for #12 to make 1st Start then instead of tonight.

Irsay followed with a second tweet:

.... Yes,there is some truth on this dark,rainy night; that my good friend Rex...has never heard of the word.... PRESEASON?!!!

Pagano said it was his decision to sit Luck against Buffalo. Pagano didn't waver when reminded that he was prepared to have Luck play a week earlier against Green Bay in the Hall of Fame game, before it was canceled because of an unplayable field.

"It's one of the benefits that you get when you're the head coach," Pagano said with a smile. "You get to decide who plays and who doesn't play."

Without Luck, backups Scott Tolzien and Stephen Morris teamed up to pull off a victory.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Rex should have not even commented or said something to the effect of ... I don't care what he said; I prepare my team the way I want to and let them prepare their team the way they want to.

But of course, Rex being Rex, just couldn't refrain from responding and becoming defensive

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Neither is wrong IMO.

I seem to recall Rex putting his starting QB in the 4th quarter behind a 3rd string offensive line and Sanchez getting hurt. Hence 2013 Geno Smith. Rex's comment was "we were trying to win the game". Good grief it was a preseason game, I'm glad he moved to western NY.

7 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

I seem to recall Rex putting his starting QB in the 4th quarter behind a 3rd string offensive line and Sanchez getting hurt. Hence 2013 Geno Smith. Rex's comment was "we were trying to win the game". Good grief it was a preseason game, I'm glad he moved to western NY.

that was Idzik's fault, there was never really a competition but Idzik was pressuring him to start geno even though geno wasn't ready.  geno was awful that game, he put Mark in to bury any competition talk so he wouldn't be forced to start him.  It backfired and he's in siberia now b/c of it.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

that was Idzik's fault, there was never really a competition but Idzik was pressuring him to start geno even though geno wasn't ready.  geno was awful that game, he put Mark in to bury any competition talk so he wouldn't be forced to start him.  It backfired and he's in siberia now b/c of it.

Nope.

18 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Me too and I agree 100 percent. I posted that once and got brow beat that Sanchez was in there because the competition between mark and Geno was close.  Bullship...  Rex is a buffoon. How many times we were up by say 21 points or down by 21 with 5 minutes to go and he never put in his 2nd string QB to help him develop. 

18 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Yes and no. You're correct about the beginning part, and Ryan's motivation for putting him in there (after getting injured, Mark went off on Idzik not Rex), but Rex was still the HC and in the end it was still his call to unnecessarily put an unaware/tunnel vision QB - despite the competition, still his very likely starting QB at that - in there with little OL protection. 

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes and no. You're correct about the beginning part, and Ryan's motivation for putting him in there (after getting injured, Mark went off on Idzik not Rex), but Rex was still the HC and in the end it was still his call to unnecessarily put an unaware/tunnel vision QB - despite the competition, still his very likely starting QB at that - in there with little OL protection. 

we know Rex is very emotional he wanted to stick it to idzik.  unfortunately he stuck it to himself and his team(and Geno really).

So I'm surrounded by Bills fans all day every day and live in a market with many Bills centric sportscasts.  Exactly no one has talked about this.

No one is talking about a circus... or Rex boasting... or much of anything.

For the love of god give it a rest and lets hope that Bowels can do as good of a job in his 2nd year as Rex did with us.  

22 minutes ago, Pac said:

For the love of god give it a rest and lets hope that Bowels can do as good of a job in his 2nd year as Rex did with us.  

How did years 3-6 go?  Are you suggesting if Bowles fails to win 11 games this year, then Rex is the better coach?

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How did years 3-6 go?  Are you suggesting if Bowles fails to win 11 games this year, then Rex is the better coach?

well rex was the better coach after year 1, if Bowles is great years 3-6 I'll take it but so far Rex is better than Bowles.  

only Jet fans can bash a guy that took them to the doorstep of the Super Bowl twice for others that haven't even made the playoffs w/ similar talent.

and I love Bowles, I think he's going to be better but he's not better yet and was severely outcoached by rex in his biggest game.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

This was weak of Irsay, and I don't really care for Rex Ryan much. Rex and any other coach has every right to see how their players are developing. He must have been drunk again when he said that. 

And Itsay has every right to sit Luck in week one.  Just as Dallas sat Romo and others sat their starting QBs

No seeing the problem. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And Itsay has every right to sit Luck in week one.  Just as Dallas sat Romo and others sat their starting QBs

No seeing the problem. 

1. He should leave the playing time of players to the coaching staff.

2. Even if he wanted to override the coah and protect his quarterback, he didn't have to try and throw another team under the bus by insinuating that they're doing something wrong by playing football, during a football game, albiet preseason or not. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

1. He should leave the playing time of players to the coaching staff.

2. Even if he wanted to override the coah and protect his quarterback, he didn't have to try and throw another team under the bus by insinuating that they're doing something wrong by playing football, during a football game, albiet preseason or not. 

He can do whatever he wants.  It's his player, he can go to the GM and HC.  It may not have been his idea.  People hate Irsay.  Where's the thread over Tyrod Taylor sitting out in that same game?  Who's blasting Jerry Jones for Romo sitting?  Kaep was given the day off.  Others sit, Irsay is chastised.  

And yes, if you're playing a team that's going to go blitzing QBs etc in a GSM the offense isn't game planning and your 100 mil QB who was injured most of last season, you might be better off sitting him.  

3 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Irsay is dumb, Rex doesn't blitz in the preseason, and getting Sanchez hurt was basically the only thing he's done right in the history of ever 

Sure as shlt called a few blitzes in that game.  

Archived