So when does Geno start?

drdetroit

Geno gets a start if Fitzpatrick gets injured or next year when he is playing Canadian or arena league football.  Otherwise, and if this season is in the toilet already we go straight to Bryce Petty who still has a chance to be the future QB on this team.  Geno does not.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Warfish said:

So lets see, if Jets fans had their way, Marshall and Folk are cut today, Geno named starter, and Chan fired.

:Jetsfansdumbestfans:

Yup that sounds about right.

I said this as a joke to some friends a few years ago but we really do at times have the dumbest fanbase in the NFL. Each week is like a State of the Union address and guys who don't perform well suck and should be replaced.

The Jets are not going to win a game like that against an opponent the caliber of the Bengals. Offense was not sharp, Defense other than the D-Line had a number of issues and Special Teams, while much improved still not where they needed to be.

I honestly hope this was a troll thread but I would not be surprised if it was not.

That depends on how open he is to playing in Canada. I defended Geno all offseason. Or at least when I showed up here. And what did he do in preseason? A bunch of Geno sh*t that shows he hasn't learned a damn thing and is still the same QB he was two years ago. Unfortunately, that's better than Hackenberg.

I say we get through the murderer's row that's on deck, and give Bryce Petty the Carson Wentz treatment when the schedule finally lets up and reads "at Cleveland".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that so many people thought Fitz was "okay" or "good but not great" "solid" etc...It's simply an indication of how QB starved this team and fan base has been.  Fitz was awful by virtually every standard, yet it's the type of QB play we're accustomed to - so to Jet fans it was a solid performance. 

Outside of the ST mistakes, we lost because we played Pennington post shoulder surgery football.

Fitzpatrick couldn't get a big play outside the numbers. Defensive coordinators have picked up on how to beat the Gailey Fitz duo. You bring the safety up and take away our dink and dunks.

The Fitz era is coming to a close. At least if we're serious about making the playoffs. We need a QB that can back the Safety's off.

8 hours ago, Mecca said:

Outside of the ST mistakes, we lost because we played Pennington post shoulder surgery football.

Fitzpatrick couldn't get a big play outside the numbers. Defensive coordinators have picked up on how to beat the Gailey Fitz duo. You bring the safety up and take away our dink and dunks.

The Fitz era is coming to a close. At least if we're serious about making the playoffs. We need a QB that can back the Safety's off.

Exactly

I just find it interesting that someone can blame Chan, Revis, STs, Folk, Marshall, etc while defending Fitz over and over again because you know fans are too quick to blame someone.  

Translation, Fitz can't be blamed.  Ever.  Otherwise you're a Geno lover.  

3 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Never if Fitz doesn't get hurt. Fitz is going to win 6-8 games this year. Just enough to no be benched, and by the time it is enough to be benched they'll go with Petty since Geno is gone next year.

Definitely a likely outcome.  Yet such a waste of 12mil.  Could've been 1 great or 2 solid additional FAs next season to help whatever young QB is starting.

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I just find it interesting that someone can blame Chan, Revis, STs, Folk, Marshall, etc while defending Fitz over and over again because you know fans are too quick to blame someone.  

Translation, Fitz can't be blamed.  Ever.  Otherwise you're a Geno lover.  

I don't see it that way; in fact most (including commentators say he had an okay game), I gave him plenty of blame; I think the Vets lets the rookies down; that being sad, just because Fitz didn't play well, it doesn't mean that he isn't the best QB on the Jets. In fact, Fitz played as you might expect for a middle of the road QB. I think people aren't necessarily defending him, but stating that he played as one might have expected. That isn't a defense, nor is it a ringing endosrement - it is 'he played as we might have expected' where IMO B. Marshall, Decker and Revis may have played better than Fitz, but didn't play up to their potential.

Consider it grading on a curve. Fitz may get B- because he played as we would have expected (but had Brady played that we he would have gotten an F). Meanwhile although their play may have been better, Marshall, Decker and Revis get Ds as we expect more.

Or, put another way, don't bother signing a mediocre QB for mediocre pay (on a curve too, as many would take 12 million a year, certainly Rodgers wouldn't) and then complain that he was mediocre. Further, don't bother suggesting you put in a player that has a history of playing worse, just because you think Fitz is Hot Garbage. Just because he is the best the Jets have, doesn't make him great.

On 9/11/2016 at 5:22 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Meanwhile, Dak looks ******* great against the Giants right now. And we're still stuck with the fanbase arguing about this bullsh*t.

One might say the fanbase is stuck with you. :) 

But yeah, Hackenberg better be awesome to warrant not just the pick itself (which is significant enough) but the extra roster spot since he isn't even good enough to hold down the 3rd string job. Probably not good enough to have the 4th string job either, which is a job I think he has in name only: if 2 QBs ahead of him got injured, Maccagnan would surely be on the phone to make sure he gets pushed back down the depth chart again.

Given how far off he is, the hope is next year Mackey Sasser Jr is good enough to be the #2 QB, since starting seems to be such an unrealistic pipe dream. Meanwhile not only are multiple rookies from his own class class already seeing the field this year with some good success, but the same will happen next year as well while Hackenberg battles out someone for the #2-#3 slot in the pecking order. If Fitz is brought back, then it's a given he will be behind Petty and his improvement will be measured solely in the cutting of Geno to bump him up from #4 to #3. Freaking tragic. So far, anyway.

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But yeah, Hackenberg better be awesome to warrant not just the pick itself (which is significant enough) but the extra roster spot since he isn't even good enough to hold down the 3rd string job. Probably not good enough to have the 4th string job either, which is a job I think he has in name only: if 2 QBs ahead of him got injured, Maccagnan would surely be on the phone to make sure he gets pushed back down the depth chart again.

Given how far off he is, the hope is next year Mackey Sasser Jr is good enough to be the #2 QB, since starting seems to be such an unrealistic pipe dream. Meanwhile not only are multiple rookies from his own class class already seeing the field this year with some good success, but the same will happen next year as well while Hackenberg battles out someone for the #2-#3 slot in the pecking order. If Fitz is brought back, then it's a given he will be behind Petty and his improvement will be measured solely in the cutting of Geno to bump him up from #4 to #3. Freaking tragic. So far, anyway.

What's "tragic" in my eyes and I say this with all due respect, is that once again this owner has chosen another inexperienced and defensive minded first-time head coach, a guy with no ability to help EITHER of his young QB's to move ahead of a CFL-caliber passer that nobody among the team, league and 90% of even the fan-base believes in. But the bottom line is this:

The true tragedy of The New York Jets is the owner, and it has nothing to do with anything other than football, and aside from all the other good things that he can bring to it, (state of the art training facility- great health programs) Woody Johnson and his lack of actual football knowledge IS the failure of this team.   

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It seems like half the starting quarterbacks in the league at this point are guys we ******* passed on at some point in time. And here we are still witnessing this same argument about which sh*tty quarterback is the least sh*tty of all the sh*tty guys. Like Jesus Christ. How many different ways are the same people going to try and lecture the lot of us on the same stuff every single day? How much of one's life is really worth dedicating to trying to argue on the Internet with strangers about Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick? Like holy balls, find a new gig already.

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It seems like half the starting quarterbacks in the league at this point are guys we ******* passed on at some point in time. And here we are still witnessing this same argument about which sh*tty quarterback is the least sh*tty of all the sh*tty guys. Like Jesus Christ. How many different ways are the same people going to try and lecture the lot of us on the same stuff every single day? How much of one's life is really worth dedicating to trying to argue on the Internet with strangers about Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick? Like holy balls, find a new gig already.

One would think by now we could all agree neither are good.  The good news is the 2 guys brought in to replace both (long term) were such projects that the 2nd year one couldn't secure the #2 job and the rookie couldn't secure the #3 job. But don't worry, our guys are on it. We'll have a good young QB in here before we turn 90. They promise.

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Never if Fitz doesn't get hurt. Fitz is going to win 6-8 games this year. Just enough to no be benched, and by the time it is enough to be benched they'll go with Petty since Geno is gone next year.

Then it's rebuilding time because this time really only has a season window.  Marshall will be 34 next season, Forte will likely be gone, who knows what happens with Clady and Revis will be an expensive free safety

The problem with the never Geno argument is the only shot he had to play with the current team he put up a decent stat line it was the defense that sucked

We've already been doing so, and a pretty good job of it. We have a lot of young talent too. But yes, to your point there is more to be done.

37 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

The problem with the never Geno argument is the only shot he had to play with the current team he put up a decent stat line it was the defense that sucked

Geno was a turnover machine and he had the worst QB rating in the league two years in a row.

Worst in the NFL... Worst in the NFL.

P.S. That was while the Jets defense was not even on the field.  Capiche?

Geno apologists are astonishing in the lengths they will go in order to manufacture reasons why he didn't really suck as badly as he sucked.

Nobody is buying it.  He is a clipboard holder until or unless Fitz gets injured and that is only true up until about week 10.  If Fitz gets injured after that we skip over Geno entirely and go right to Bryce Petty.  As it should be.

Geno is dogsh1t and that is really being a bit insulting to dogsh1t.

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

round and round we go..  they'll never get it.

can you imagine how incredibly awful Fitz would have been with Genos receivers from 13 and 14?  Holy crap lol.

And not for nothing but why does no one remember that Geno won a similar game to yesterdays in his first start.  I recall him marching the team down the field with minimal time left for a game winning FG.  When is the last time Fitz did that?

As to the question posed in this thread it all depends on when Bowles would be compelled to make the move. 

If we get beat in Buffalo, with Fitz proving yet again that he can't keep the D honest, then there's a chance he could make the move to Geno.  He is a Parcells disciple and nothing he's done, (which includes never deviating from calling Geno the #2), leads me to believe he cares about placating the loud loons in this fan base.

That said there are a couple issues with benching him this early.  He'd make his boss and himself look a little foolish, and he might get some backlash from the players on the team who think Fitz is groovy.

While Fitz played his typical lackluster game yesterday it wasn't a complete meltdown, and certainly not worthy of an instant benching.  But if they go 0-2 with murderers row coming up then he may decide he needs someone who can stretch the field. 

What I HOPE happens is Fitzpatrick plays at least a bit above mediocre which should keep us in every game. 

I think if there is a benching and the odds of us making a playoff run are all but gone, then Petty is the only one that makes sense.  Doesn't matter if Geno is better right now...  He'll be gone next year and Petty will be here.  If all hope for this season is lost then you either find lightning in a bottle with Petty or let him crash and burn so you can decide what to do next year.

If Geno is as hated by his fellow players as many of you are asserting , do you really believe he would have not requested a trade. Do you real believe this organization GM and HC, would have kept him on the roster. Folks, they were prepared to go into the season with him as their starter. Also Geno stated clearly he wish to remain with then Jets.

So please stop with all the personal BS about Geno being such an outcast within the Jets organization.

Yet , having said all of that, Fitz needs to be given time to shake off the rust, if that's what it is. If we are at 2-2 he should get a few more games.

If we go 0-4 or 1-3 then at that point you have to make a change. I would then see if Geno can come in an get things going. If he gets them moving then it's his job to lose. If he falls back in to his old habits and mistakes, then his Jets career is done.

At that point, the eighth game, I am assuming, Petty comes in and gets the last eight games.

It is now a teaching season for Petty and the object should be to get him as much game experience as possible. I am sure there will be some ugly points and we are just going to have to live with it.

In the end if Petty is as good as we all hope he is, he will benefit from this year. With the additional offseason work and one would assume he going into TC as the starter. So with all of this, plus the training camp work, we can all hope to look forward to next season with our first franchise QB in years. Well that's how I see it anyway.

On 9/11/2016 at 8:25 PM, Larz said:

if we are to believe the media reports, when fitz broke his thumb last season the players came to bowles and said "anyone but geno"

I rarely see him speaking or interacting with anyone on the sidelines.  ever

he may be cut when petty is healthy, he may be here all year, but bowles will not bench a healthy fitz for geno in my opinion

He led the team out of the tunnel on Sunday and he was the guy who got Fitz warmed up before the game. 

16 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I don't see it that way; in fact most (including commentators say he had an okay game), I gave him plenty of blame; I think the Vets lets the rookies down; that being sad, just because Fitz didn't play well, it doesn't mean that he isn't the best QB on the Jets. In fact, Fitz played as you might expect for a middle of the road QB. I think people aren't necessarily defending him, but stating that he played as one might have expected. That isn't a defense, nor is it a ringing endosrement - it is 'he played as we might have expected' where IMO B. Marshall, Decker and Revis may have played better than Fitz, but didn't play up to their potential.

Consider it grading on a curve. Fitz may get B- because he played as we would have expected (but had Brady played that we he would have gotten an F). Meanwhile although their play may have been better, Marshall, Decker and Revis get Ds as we expect more.

Or, put another way, don't bother signing a mediocre QB for mediocre pay (on a curve too, as many would take 12 million a year, certainly Rodgers wouldn't) and then complain that he was mediocre. Further, don't bother suggesting you put in a player that has a history of playing worse, just because you think Fitz is Hot Garbage. Just because he is the best the Jets have, doesn't make him great.

You're making a lot of assumptions here.   

I didn't blame Fitz.  Just as I didn't suggest or mention Geno.  Just said I find it interesting that the defense of Fitz has been it's a team game, they didn't lose because of a player.  Then read in one post its Revis's fault, another where it's on Folk, another on Marshall.  But Fitz, no. 

But let's not go overboard and overcompensate by giving Fitz a B- for Sunday's game.  

On 9/11/2016 at 4:49 PM, bealeb319 said:

It is Genos fault he isn't playing. He is not a good QB and he is not a good leader. He lost his starting job last year because he essentially robbed one of his team mates and got a broken jaw for it...if i remember correctly not a single one of his team mates took his side over that. There is a reason the Jets were willing to overpay Fitz and there is a reason that Geno is not our starter. Fitz might not be the man but right now he is our man and it will probably be for the remainder of this season before one of the young guys steps up so we might as well get used to it.

I think Geno should have offered to reimburse IK, but he didn't "essentially rob him".

Archived