Who gets most of the blame for the loss this week?

Kevin L

Who gets most of the blame for the loss this week?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Blame-o-meter

Not so funny thing is that I was watching some college football they days before the game and watching a live NFL game for the first time had me struggling sometimes to recognize strategical details. However seeing the TD-pass to Green really resembled the college football I had watched before in the sense that suddenly and totally from nowhere a player is wide open. 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very simple. This was supposed to be a very close game. It was. The Bengals are good. They have a good defense and they have a good offense. Every single point mattered. The Jets ended up losing by 1. Folk gave away 4 points. This loss falls on the kicker. 

-You can argue Revis got owned. But AJ Green is easily one of the best WRs in the game. He only had one TD and it was on a bomb where Revis was expecting safety help and got none. 

-You can argue play-calling in the Red-Zone. But again, the Bengals have a good D and its tough to score TDs in the red-zone on a good defense regardless of the play-calling. 

-You can argue its Marshall for dropping a pass he should have had. But you can never put the whole game on one dropped pass. Its just not fair to do that. The Jets had numerous other opportunities.  

-You can argue it was Fitz. But we got exactly what we expected out of Fitz. He played a mistake free game and actually threw 2 TDs. Yes he had an INT at the very end, but the writing was pretty much on the wall at that point. Hard to blame him for that pass. 

At least there is a silver lining. The Jets looked really good for the most part against a good team and simply could not capitalize. The D-line looked great. The secondary was iffy but not awful. The runing game was there. The O-line was solid. McLendon looked really good, as did some of the young additions (Marshall, L.Edwards, Lee, etc.)

On to the Bills. Jets looked good and should be fired up for some redemption after a tough loss and being knocked out last year by them. We knew coming in the first 6 games were going to be brutal. Losing to the Bengals in week one is not the end of the world. Its all about how the Jets can rebound. Thursday night will be a bit more telling, IMHO.   

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Very simple. This was supposed to be a very close game. It was. The Bengals are good. They have a good defense and they have a good offense. Every single point mattered. The Jets ended up losing by 1. Folk gave away 4 points. This loss falls on the kicker. 

-You can argue Revis got owned. But AJ Green is easily one of the best WRs in the game. He only had one TD and it was on a bomb where Revis was expecting safety help and got none. 

-You can argue play-calling in the Red-Zone. But again, the Bengals have a good D and its tough to score TDs in the red-zone on a good defense regardless of the play-calling. 

-You can argue its Marshall for dropping a pass he should have had. But you can never put the whole game on one dropped pass. Its just not fair to do that. The Jets had numerous other opportunities.  

-You can argue it was Fitz. But we got exactly what we expected out of Fitz. He played a mistake free game and actually threw 2 TDs. Yes he had an INT at the very end, but the writing was pretty much on the wall at that point. Hard to blame him for that pass. 

At least there is a silver lining. The Jets looked really good for the most part against a good team and simply could not capitalize. The D-line looked great. The secondary was iffy but not awful. The runing game was there. The O-line was solid. McLendon looked really good, as did some of the young additions (Marshall, L.Edwards, Lee, etc.)

On to the Bills. Jets looked good and should be fired up for some redemption after a tough loss and being knocked out last year by them. We knew coming in the first 6 games were going to be brutal. Losing to the Bengals in week one is not the end of the world. Its all about how the Jets can rebound. Thursday night will be a bit more telling, IMHO.   

This is a good post.  No need to read the rest of the postmortems.   Thanks PepPep.

10 minutes ago, PepPep said:

all true.  but one thing that is concerning is the lack of big plays by the offense.  they never took long shots downfield.  in today's nfl it is important, you can get a flag if not a completion.  they need to integrate the young, fast wrs and stretch defenses.  clearly the bengals, and many other teams, understand this.  if fitz can't do it, well, that's a disadvantage for the jets.  teams will make mistakes.  the way you can overcome them is with big plays.  the jets had zero big plays on offense yesterday, nothing longer than 25 yards.  may as well have pennington as qb.

i am looking forward to petty playing later in the season to see what he can do in this regard.  

I think blaming Folk is wrong here.  The FG was blocked and the extra point miss happens.  

Does anyone really think the Bengals couldn't have put up 7 at the end there if they had to - instead of settling for the FG?  If they needed the TD they likely would have gotten.  It's easy to look at a final score and place blame, but once the score changes, it changes the rest of the game.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

all true.  but one thing that is concerning is the lack of big plays by the offense.  they never took long shots downfield.  in today's nfl it is important, you can get a flag if not a completion.  they need to integrate the young, fast wrs and stretch defenses.  clearly the bengals, and many other teams, understand this.  if fitz can't do it, well, that's a disadvantage for the jets.  teams will make mistakes.  the way you can overcome them is with big plays.  the jets had zero big plays on offense yesterday, nothing longer than 25 yards.  may as well have pennington as qb.

i am looking forward to petty playing later in the season to see what he can do in this regard.  

I agree. But I chalk that up to Fitz being Fitz and the Jets knowing that is what they will get from Fitz. He doesn't have a big arm. He can get the ball down field but needs a lot of time in the pocket, needs to step into the throw and has a big wind up. Against good defenses, these type of big plays (with Fitz) will be few and far between. Sure, Petty can chuck it deep, so can Hack. But you might as well add a bunch of sacks (Fitz had one) and turnovers (fumbles, INTs) with Petty, Geno or Hack at the helm. So you decide. Mistake free football without many big plays, relying on the run game and defense. Or turnovers but some big plays that score more points. Who knows, if Petty played in this game, the Jets may have scored more but lost by a bigger margin anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Folk and Revis.

I give Revis a bit more of a pass on this. Yes, AJ Green had 12 catches for 180 yards. But he only scored once. That's critical. And he shouldn't have even scored had the safety done his job. I can live with one of the best WRs in the NFL having a big day but only contributing one TD. Folk missing 2 easy kicks is unacceptable in my book. 

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I give Revis a bit more of a pass on this. Yes, AJ Green had 12 catches for 180 yards. But he only scored once. That's critical.

Same pass Revis got vs. Buffalo.  

I fear we're going to have to get used to "150+" passing games for WR's against us.  Every team has at least one elite guy who can burn this group, if not two.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I fear we're going to have to get used to "150+" passing games for WR's against us.  Every team has at least one elite guy who can burn this group, if not two.

how about we make some coaching adjustments?  Revis isn't prime/best cover corner ever Revis anymore.  even w/ him getting torched we should have won that game by 2 TDs if the K does his job, if the QB does his job and if Marshall does his job.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Revis is old. He's in decline. I accept that. And I agree signing him. It's like the Yankees holding on to Jeter. 

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think blaming Folk is wrong here.  The FG was blocked and the extra point miss happens.  

Does anyone really think the Bengals couldn't have put up 7 at the end there if they had to - instead of settling for the FG?  If they needed the TD they likely would have gotten.  It's easy to look at a final score and place blame, but once the score changes, it changes the rest of the game.

ZERO excuse for having a kick that short blocked, he didn;t get it up in the air, the other team did not blast through the line, he low balled it.  also what kind of excuse is , missed kicks happen?  He's a kicker and a highly paid one, he has one job, if he makes one or the other we at worst go to ot.

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nick Folk is the 9th highest paid kicker in the league. No excuses for the missed he had yesterday. None. You want top ten kicker money? Make easy field goals and PATs. Period.

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He kicked it low, which is part of why it was blocked. He doesn't need an excuse. 

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Said it first! LOL

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I give Revis a bit more of a pass on this. Yes, AJ Green had 12 catches for 180 yards. But he only scored once. That's critical. And he shouldn't have even scored had the safety done his job. I can live with one of the best WRs in the NFL having a big day but only contributing one TD. Folk missing 2 easy kicks is unacceptable in my book. 

My issue with Revis is that he is now talked about as if he was an avg CB.  He needs CB he;lp, it; snot his fault that a great WR put up big numbers, etc etc.  He' being paid like the old Revis, he is getting an ungodly amount of money.  He wanted the money, he negotiate the deal, he has to play up to that contract.  If he keeps playing like he has, as in a good CB but one that needs help all the time vs the best WRs then we have to be looking at dumping him next year for sure,.  He's not worth the cap spending at all.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

ZERO excuse for having a kick that short blocked, he didn;t get it up in the air, the other team did not blast through the line, he low balled it.  also what kind of excuse is , missed kicks happen?  He's a kicker and a highly paid one, he has one job, if he makes one or the other we at worst go to ot.

I have no vested interest in Folk I just really can't put the majority of the blame on him.  Misses do happen and good teams overcome them.

As for the bolded above, that's simply wrong.  Once the FG is missed, once the extra point is missed...every play call, every play, every action a team takes is built from a different perspective....You can't simply look at a final score and add in the 4 points.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

My issue with Revis is that he is now talked about as if he was an avg CB.  He needs CB he;lp, it; snot his fault that a great WR put up big numbers, etc etc.  He' being paid like the old Revis, he is getting an ungodly amount of money.  He wanted the money, he negotiate the deal, he has to play up to that contract.  If he keeps playing like he has, as in a good CB but one that needs help all the time vs the best WRs then we have to be looking at dumping him next year for sure,.  He's not worth the cap spending at all.

milliner could have done that yesterday.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Another thing. People saying :Oh we drafted defense for a decade and they still suck"

The picks sucked. That's why

The D-line is all world, Pryor is solid.  Lee looks fast and can clearly hit.  The Milliner pick is really what's killing this defense.  We would be talking about a potential elite defense if Milliner was a  top tier corner.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

The D-line is all world, Pryor is solid.  Lee looks fast and can clearly hit.  The Milliner pick is really what's killing this defense.  We would be talking about a potential elite defense if Milliner was a  top tier corner.

it's the milliner pick, the amaro pick, the geno pick, etc.  but really, fitz is a bottom third nfl starter.  it's hard to win when you have this.  teams make mistakes, they give up big plays, they miss fgs.  the way they overcome it is by making big plays of their own.  but the jets can't.  they have to grind it out with fitz.  it means their margin for error is smaller.

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I love Folk, he's an excellent K but he screwed up,  that block was all on him.  I had confidence he would have made the kick to win it if he got the chance but it never came.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

it's the milliner pick, the amaro pick, the geno pick, etc.  but really, fitz is a bottom third nfl starter.  it's hard to win when you have this.  teams make mistakes, they give up big plays, they miss fgs.  the way they overcome it is by making big plays of their own.  but the jets can't.  they have to grind it out with fitz.  it means their margin for error is smaller.

Agreed.  12 play, 80 yard drives are nice but they're very hard to do - too many opportunities for things to go wrong..drops, holding penalty, sacks etc..

You need to have some explosive plays as well to win in today's NFL.  Fitz's skill-set is mostly lacking in that area.

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Agreed.  12 play, 80 yard drives are nice but they're very hard to do - too many opportunities for things to go wrong..drops, holding penalty, sacks etc..

You need to have some explosive plays as well to win in today's NFL.  Fitz's skill-set is mostly lacking in that area.

that's why they beat the bad teams last year, they didn't need the explosive plays.  now they need them.  that's where fitz is most limited.  he can run an offense, but his skill set is a backup qb b/c he's not going to win the games when he's behind most of the time.  the 2 qbs maccags has drafted both have big arms.  

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

that's why they beat the bad teams last year, they didn't need the explosive plays.  now they need them.  that's where fitz is most limited.  he can run an offense, but his skill set is a backup qb b/c he's not going to win the games when he's behind most of the time.  the 2 qbs maccags has drafted both have big arms.  

Listen, I get it, but I watched a LOT of football yesterday & saw a LOT of COME BACK wins. Do you know what stood out to me? PLAYERS MADE PLAYS when they had too! Fitz put the ball RIGHT ON Brandons f*cking hands for a 25 yard 1st down on the 50 & he dropped it! Call it distracted, whatever, on the other side Green was making extraordinary catches, MOST ON HUGE 3rd downs! Marshall gets paid to do one thing..CATCH THE FREAKING BALL when it hits your hands.

Who knows what happens if he does what he's paid to do like Green did ALL DAY on the other side.

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Listen, I get it, but I watched a LOT of football yesterday & saw a LOT of COME BACK wins. Do you know what stood out to me? PLAYERS MADE PLAYS when they had too! Fitz put the ball RIGHT ON Brandons f*cking hands for a 25 yard 1st down on the 50 & he dropped it! Call it distracted, whatever, on the other side Green was making extraordinary catches, MOST ON HUGE 3rd downs! Marshall gets paid to do one thing..CATCH THE FREAKING BALL when it hits your hands.

Who knows what happens if he does what he's paid to do like Green did ALL DAY on the other side.

bmsarsh is one of the best wrs in football-he makes WAY more big plays than plays that hurt the team-FITZ CANT SAY THAT

1 hour ago, no psls said:

Mr. Island shouldn't need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Mr Island became Mr Island he never got challenged much deep because of the pressure schemes we ran. When teams pick up the blitz like the Bengals did yesterday NO CB in trhe NFL can cover a guy like AJ Green its just not happening. Remember when Randy Moss torched Revis ? Same situation they picked up our blitz, no safties back to help out and no way in hell can any CB stay with a guy like Moss under those circumstances.

People here can Blame Revis all they want but the fact is he probably has lost a step but he's still a top corner and needs just a little help over the top.

7 minutes ago, kmnj said:

bmsarsh is one of the best wrs in football-he makes WAY more big plays than plays that hurt the team-FITZ CANT SAY THAT

Yesterday wasn't an aberration for Marshall, he costs us two games last year with bad, timely drops. 

Yes, he helped us win more games then he lost and you want him on your team, but it's going to happen him and you simply have to accept it when it does.  He will have the occasional big drop.

6 minutes ago, kmnj said:

He's a great player but you HAVE TO make those plays! Why make an excuse for him not catching that ball? What about the TD drop in Gillette? Do you know that chances are if he caught that ball in Gillette Jets might have WON THE DIVISION.

I have a feeling if he catches that ball yesterday & the Jets had 1st & 10 on the 50 Folk might have gotten a chance to redeem himself. I have no idea why we make excuses for professional athletes that are paid to play?

Many are forgetting the rushing TD they gave up to Hill. That was a awful TD. I believe Martin missed the tackle.

Basically that TD won the game because the Jets didn't score a TD from the damn 1 yd line let alone getting the FG blocked!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Jetmech said:

Many are forgetting the rushing TD they gave up to Hill. That was a awful TD. I believe Martin missed the tackle.

Basically that TD won the game because the Jets didn't score a TD from the damn 1 yd line let alone getting the FG blocked!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That was LAME, your right. Jets had 5 trips into the redone, 2 trips inside the 5. Just 1 TD there & put a W next to them this morning.

Archived