Who gets most of the blame for the loss this week?

Kevin L

Who gets most of the blame for the loss this week?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Blame-o-meter

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Yes. And so is every other head coach of every team that has ever existed.

I don't believe that's the pragmatic approach, but I understand the reality of it. Most coaches get their jobs and their top-5 pick QBs as a result of the prior HC riding a 4-12 season into the abyss. However, in this specific example, there exists reams of evidence that says starting Fitzpatrick for any length of time will set the building on fire.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't believe that's the pragmatic approach, but I understand the reality of it. Most coaches get their jobs and their top-5 pick QBs as a result of the prior HC riding a 4-12 season into the abyss. However, in this specific example, there exists reams of evidence that says starting Fitzpatrick for any length of time will set the building on fire.

Sure. But no coach will ever acquiesce to losing on purpose. And more to the point, we're talking about a franchise whose fans literally purchased billboards and skywriting in protest of a GM who dared even to attempt a big-boy rebuild. If you want to root for a team that's taking a shot on doing things the smart way, Dawgs By Nature is thattaway. Otherwise, grab a seat and applaud trading draft picks for expensive veterans like a good boy.

18 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Sure. But no coach will ever acquiesce to losing on purpose. And more to the point, we're talking about a franchise whose fans literally purchased billboards and skywriting in protest of a GM who dared even to attempt a big-boy rebuild. If you want to root for a team who's taking a shot on doing things the smart way, Dawgs By Nature is thattaway. Otherwise, grab a seat and applaud trading draft picks for expensive veterans like a good boy.

Did you see Derek Carr today? We passed on him because we drafted Geno the year before, and took a strong safety instead.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I don't like spending $12M on a guy that can't win a high-pressure game but if the alternative is Geno Smith I'd have spent $24M.

As a season ticket holder, I support Mike Maccagnan's long-term strategy on rebuilding through youth and the draft, I'm not the impatient one all pissed that we aren't winning a Super Bowl this year because I had no expectations of that, I believe we are a 7-9 team that's headed in the right direction, nothing more.

SAR I

Why spend 24m on a 7-9 team (your prediction)?  If Fitz can't get us to better than 7-9 then go with Petty or Smith and save the $

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

That's a separate issue. The Raiders didn't lose on purpose so they could take Derek Carr.

No, I was conceding. I was confusing the smart thing to do with the thing the Jets will do. I don't believe that any coach would sign Fitz, specifically, to steal a few wins, but I agree that the norm is for coaches to find a reasonable stopgap. Our issue is that we sign stopgaps to be core players.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No, I was conceding. I was confusing the smart thing to do with the thing the Jets will do. I don't believe that any coach would sign Fitz, specifically, to steal a few wins, but I agree that the norm is for coaches to find a reasonable stopgap. Our issue is that we sign stopgaps to be core players.

Who else was there to sign? Jake Plumer? Charlie Whitehurst? Hoyer? The inept list goes on and on. Fitz at the very least turned from a frog into a prince for awhile and had the best year of his career by a long shot. He gives this team the best chance to win until Petty or Hack can take over......next year. 

3 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Who else was there to sign? Jake Plumer? Charlie Whitehurst? Hoyer? The inept list goes on and on. Fitz at the very least turned from a frog into a prince for awhile and had the best year of his career by a long shot. He gives this team the best chance to win until Petty or Hack can take over......next year. 

The "best chance to win" is a canard.

1 hour ago, 20andOut said:

Chan Gailey. One game and I have already seen too much of the empty backfield!

The empty backfield set is for fitzpatrick. He needs the receivers to be spread out wide so that he can have quick easy reads, he doesn't go through progressions well so forcing the defense to show coverage in order to predetermine the throw pre-snap helps him with that

Just now, T0mShane said:

Going to do the same next year because of the Hackenberg pick. 

My pre-draft projections/predictions/wish list

1: Paxton Lynch

2: Connor Cook

3: Dak Prescott

4: Nate Sudfeld

I was okay with the Hack pick, and I know it was only pre-season...but no matter how bad things were at Penn State, how can anyone say he didn't look like a mediocre HS QB? Completed 41% of his passes after his first drive that ended with the TD to Anderson.  Yes...that's right....41% of his passes.  With three WR's who made the roster (Anderson, J. Marshall, Peake) to throw to, against 4th stringers.

I think it has to be the secondary.  The Bengals had like less than 3 seconds to throw most of the day on mostly 4 or 5 man rushes, yet they were still able to get drives going b/c of the gaping holes.  

IT wasn't just Revis (although he was outmatched by AJ Green), it was the lbs, the nickel packages, pretty much everything.  It might be worth looking into trading for a big bodied press corner like a Browner type.  All you need is a split second more and the dline gets to the qb.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

This happens every "year after" for some Jets fans.  You know, we go 4-12, we make a coaching change, we surprise and get 10 wins, and then the "year after" they are thinking Super Bowl.

It's crazy.

Provide a harder schedule, we were 6-10 last year.  This year with a harder schedule, we'll be 7-9 this year.  Progress as we rebuild.  But, no, you've got people who read way too much into the tea leaves to think this is the year we get 12 wins and topple Tom Brady, it's pretty funny how this goes every time we make a coaching change, have some unexpected success, and then fall apart.

SAR I

All true.  Personally I saw a team compete with an upper tier team and lost because of a few miscues.  Could the have played better? Yes.  But I can't help but think they can play with anyone on the schedule.  Couple breaks here and there could result in a couple wins no one expects.  Again, I was expecting getting beat down in the trenches on offense and I saw the opposite.  Barring injuries this team will be good enough to make it interesting.  Rip our hearts out at the end as usual but make it interesting to that point.  

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

My pre-draft projections/predictions/wish list

1: Paxton Lynch

2: Connor Cook

3: Dak Prescott

4: Nate Sudfeld

I was okay with the Hack pick, and I know it was only pre-season...but no matter how bad things were at Penn State, how can anyone say he didn't look like a mediocre HS QB? Completed 41% of his passes after his first drive that ended with the TD to Anderson.  Yes...that's right....41% of his passes.  With three WR's who made the roster (Anderson, J. Marshall, Peake) to throw to, against 4th stringers.

The Hack thing was such a red flag against this regime, it's difficult to reconcile at this point.

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

The secondary cost us this game. With a QB pounded 7 times, no running game, no TE, and 1 NFL caliber WR they got torched as bad as any team in the league giving up huge plays that killed us.

It's completely embarrassing.  

SAR I

whats funny is even a team with a bad secondary would have adjusted at some point to take AJ Green out of the game. Cincy certainly took Marshall and Decker out. Probably the reason we ran the ball so well when we did decide to run

When you lose by 1 point and your kicker misses an extra point he should get most of the blame. People who don’t like Fitz will try and throw blame on him but they are wrong. The Jets special teams unit left 4 points on the board. That’s the difference in the game right there. That and the 2 big passing plays by Dalton. 1 for a TD and the other that setup I believe a FG.

But regardless of what Dalton did, had the Jets converted a chip shot FG and an extra point they probably win the game.

11 hours ago, jetrider said:

It doesn't matter that he put the team in a hole that required a come-from-behind miracle? Those games [last year in December] shouldn't have been close to begin with. 

Again, you're criticizing Ryan Fitzpatrick for playing like Ryan Fitzpatrick.  It's not like this guy is fooling anyone.  He's a 33 year old journeyman quarterback, not some franchise guy, it's not like we signed Drew Brees or Tom Brady here.  Blaming Ryan Fitzpatrick for not being a better quarterback is like blaming the deaf kid on the street for not hearing you.

He's a weak-armed quarterback but has tremendous pocket presence, is the best scrambler in the league, and is a terrific leader and mentor.  He was and remains the best option for a rebuilding team like the Jets with poor draft position and no superior free agents available.  This isn't like the Jets tapping Boomer Esiason, Neil O'Donnell, or Brett Favre as major free agent signings.  Those guys were MVP's or led their teams to Super Bowls and had high expectations.  It's Ryan Fitzpatrick for cripsakes.  For who he is he is playing very well in New York, we are lucky to have him.

SAR I

10 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Why spend 24m on a 7-9 team (your prediction)?  If Fitz can't get us to better than 7-9 then go with Petty or Smith and save the $

Because in order to be a 12-win team in 2017 or 2018 we need the young kids to feel encouraged and like they have a chance to win right now.  Nothing sets the tone of defeat like a rotten quarterback.  Just look at Geno Smith in 2014 for a guy who couldn't rally the troops, who no one got behind, who no one believed in. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a mature and experienced leader, he's got chemistry with Decker and Marshall, he's mentoring Petty.  It's not just about 7-9.  It's about the future.  Ryan Fitzpatrick is the perfect quarterback to hold the fort until one of the youngsters emerges and then he will quietly and professionally get out of the way without drama when one of them is ready.

SAR I

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

All true.  Personally I saw a team compete with an upper tier team and lost because of a few miscues.  Could the have played better? Yes.  But I can't help but think they can play with anyone on the schedule.  Couple breaks here and there could result in a couple wins no one expects.  Again, I was expecting getting beat down in the trenches on offense and I saw the opposite.  Barring injuries this team will be good enough to make it interesting.  Rip our hearts out at the end as usual but make it interesting to that point.  

Agreed, but the only chink in the armor of the "can play with anyone on the schedule" bit is that nothing crushes a team like a huge pass play.  It's like the home run in baseball, a weaker team with a big bat can equalize greater talent, with one swing can put up 3 runs it would normally take an intricate rally to create.

Our secondary has "big play victim" written all over it, and we encourage opponents to try to beat our back 4 because our front 7 is so strong.  And with murderers row of gunslingers coming up like Roethlisberger, Palmer, Wilson, and even Smith and Taylor if you think about it, we might be able to rope-a-dope with these guys in a traditional manner but if they focus on the big play and are driven to try it repeatedly because they can't do anything short we are going to get killed until the secondary gets corrected.

SAR I

Archived