Let's get a couple of things straight

UnitedWhofans

1. Maccagnan has been great as a GM, given what we were. He has put us in a position to rebuild and be fairly competitive at the same time, as shown by yesterday. Jets fans and media dont want to hear the word rebuild, but this is what it is. You dont want to be the f***ing Browns and tumble and fall year after year, but they do need new young talent. There are holes, but you cant create a whole team in 1 or even 2 years.

2. I think Bowles does suffer a case of stubbornness, not at Rex levels, but it is there. That being said, the team plays hard for him and they have not suffered a major meltdown IE ( 49-9) under his regime.

3. People bitching about Fitzpatrick need to relax. At worst, he's here for a year and he goes away. Then they can move along and look at the developing young QBs. I dont think he played as badly as people claimed yesterday, but he is what he is.

4. Relating to point 1, the main thing I am looking at is the development of the young talent. Winters, Williams, Lee, Marshall played well yesterday but I want see Burris and Anderson play some to see more.

5. I think all OC's are hated at one point or another. Name me a good OC that has a QB at the level of Ryan Fitzpatrick. All I know is this. Jets used to struggle to score 17 points a game. Now they regularly score in the 20s.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I have seen games where Fitz is missing guys that are way wide open, nobody around them. Didn't see that as much yesterday. 

IMO yesterday was all about red zone inefficiency.  Starting right after the D's INT.  Twice he had bad throws to Marshall in the endzone.  

He left a lot of points out there yesterday.

We all know his typical faults: weak arm, may lock onto guys, not good in pressure situations, beard mites...

Many accept those faults because he's "smart" and good with the short-medium range stuff.  Especially in the red zone.  If he loses that... what's left?

Does he give good butt slaps that make his teammates feel all warm n fuzzy?

One other aspect to add is I liked that Bowles is learning i.e I expected at the end in the RZ we could not get the 1st down so kick the FG and we can take the lead and see if our D can prevent the O from getting in FG range. This is a tall order in today's NFL with the O's having the advantage and we couldn't stop it this time. Now, with all those accolades stated for Bowles here is what he hopefully can learn next, if the talent permits it, is that our D line and even secondary had the advantage over Cincy's O, but once they adjusted and Dalton began throwing east/west passes quickly we never adjusted to stop that. Now we would have had to cover those underneath routes and may have left the deeper routes more open (thus possibly getting us killed), but in the end the quick sideline routes killed as anyway. LB Lee needs more experience also to hanlde that and he did get dinged up in the game a little as well. Bowles needs to adjust after the other team adjusts to our game plan or scheme. That is truly the next step he will need to take or we will never go anywhere.   

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. Maccagnan has been great as a GM, given what we were. He has put us in a position to rebuild and be fairly competitive at the same time, as shown by yesterday. Jets fans and media dont want to hear the word rebuild, but this is what it is. You dont want to be the f***ing Browns and tumble and fall year after year, but they do need new young talent. There are holes, but you cant create a whole team in 1 or even 2 years.

2. I think Bowles does suffer a case of stubbornness, not at Rex levels, but it is there. That being said, the team plays hard for him and they have not suffered a major meltdown IE ( 49-9) under his regime.

3. People bitching about Fitzpatrick need to relax. At worst, he's here for a year and he goes away. Then they can move along and look at the developing young QBs. I dont think he played as badly as people claimed yesterday, but he is what he is.

4. Relating to point 1, the main thing I am looking at is the development of the young talent. Winters, Williams, Lee, Marshall played well yesterday but I want see Burris and Anderson play some to see more.

5. I think all OC's are hated at one point or another. Name me a good OC that has a QB at the level of Ryan Fitzpatrick. All I know is this. Jets used to struggle to score 17 points a game. Now they regularly score in the 20s.

I'd invite to step down from the blow hard stage and join us over here in reality.

I'm not one blame Fitz for everything. However, you're giving Macc a free pass on too many "little things" that have became issues now. I'm not painting him Black, but he HAS made POOR decisions. Accept that FFS. He has also made good decisions. But this notion that Macc's just great great GM is cotton candy. 

The simple fact is: Macc has built this team to win now -- and we're not winning now. That's what spending on 30 year old RBs and 12 million dollar a year journeyman means. It means you're expecting to compete now. But the reality is, we're not ready to compete now, and spending money on aged RBs, declining secondary and your best answer to the future is Hackenberg - are questionable decisions. 

It's only one game, but i smell a trend a mile away

It takes real "Sand" to make certain decisions in the NFL . It would have taken serious "Sand" to not resigned Fitz and go into the season with Geno as the starter and Petty as the backup . This management team doesn't have that "Sand" so they took the safe road in an effort to prolong their Job security .  Only 1 Jet HC in the last 15 years have had that kind of Sand, and Bill Parcells is the other .

25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'd invite to step down from the blow hard stage and join us over here in reality.

I'm not one blame Fitz for everything. However, you're giving Macc a free pass on too many "little things" that have became issues now. I'm not painting him Black, but he HAS made POOR decisions. Accept that FFS. He has also made good decisions. But this notion that Macc's just great great GM is cotton candy. 

The simple fact is: Macc has built this team to win now -- and we're not winning now. That's what spending on 30 year old RBs and 12 million dollar a year journeyman means. It means you're expecting to compete now. But the reality is, we're not ready to compete now, and spending money on aged RBs, declining secondary and your best answer to the future is Hackenberg - are questionable decisions. 

Totally agreed.  I like the guy overall but I still hate both of our top two picks from last year, and a Gm lives and dies by the draft.  The really good thing is that he has found some possible gems late in the draft and as udfa.

33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The Jets lost to an acknowledged playoff team by a missed extra point and missed FG.  I think that, if the team does not collapse, it is competing to win now.  It just did not beat a good team last Saturday.

I think MacC would be building a better team in the long-run if he was not working for the PT Barnum Ringmaster Woody Johnson.  A GM building a team for the long-run does not sign Revis for the contract they did.  By doing that, he cannot sign another CB.  He also took a gamble of Milliner coming back that failed.  CB will be a tough ride this season.

Signing Fitz for $12MM was also not a long term build decision.  It was a win now decision, but the Jets still have other pieces on their roster to try and win now.   The Jets are going to be overwhelming on the DL-they can basically get to the QB with 4 DL.  Hopefully they can find 7 guys to cover receivers.

Despite being filled with 7 million cubic feet of highly combustible hydrogen gas, the Hindenburg featured a smoking room. Passengers were unable to bring matches and personal lighters aboard the zeppelin, but they could buy cigarettes and Cuban cigars on board and light up in a room pressurized to prevent any hydrogen from entering. A steward admitted passengers and crew through a double-door airlock into the smokers’ lounge, which had a single electric lighter, and made sure no one left with a lit cigarette or pipe.

Like most pioneer trains, the Donner Party was largely made up of family wagons packed with young children and adolescents. Of the 81 people who became stranded at Truckee Lake, more than half were younger than 18 years old, and six were infants. Children also made up the vast majority of the Donner’s Party’s eventual survivors. One of them, one-year-old Isabella Breen, would go on to live until 1935.

the Bengals are a loaded team and the Jets were without Sheldon. IT was always going to be a tough close game.  

I don't see any point in blaming Fitz when the kicker missed an XP and they lose by one. 

Fitz isn't amazing but he's lightyears ahead of every other QB on the roster right now. 

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Not as bad as claimed huh... Obviously opinions vary.

http://turnonthejets.com/2016/09/new-york-jets-loss-monday-vent-week-1/#more-33626

"FitzAverage 

Average would be kind. After a decent first half, Ryan Fitzpatrick went 7/16 for 78 yards with a INT yesterday in the second half. His overall completion percentage of 54 was good for 27th of 28 eligible week 1 quarterbacks and his 5.40 yards per attempt was good for 26th of 28 eligible week 1 quarterbacks. The Jets need Fitzpatrick to be a middle tier quarterback to compete for the playoffs, they cannot compete if he is going to be one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL, which is what he was yesterday.This is a guy throwing to Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall, Matt Forte and an ascending Quincy Enunwa, there is no excuses and he shouldn’t skirt blame for yesterday. He deserves just as much as Todd Bowles, Darrelle Revis, Nick Folk and Brandon Marshall."

The typical whiners complain that fitz is terrible than complain our oc who helped fitz set franchise records last year is terrible...their arguments contradict themselves these are people who are so used to the disappointment and shame of being a loyal jets fan that they don't know anything else and will dig deep to blame someone for a loss even when everything is going right.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Paradis said:

This is where people dont see the forest for the trees. There are talented veterans on this team, but the reasoning is not to win now. It is to buy time for him to get younger talent without using the "rebuilding" word that will send the fanbase and the media into a tizzy.

All of these veterans are signed on short term deals and will be off the cap in a few years.

This is a rebuilding project disguised as a win now team.

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Totally agreed.  I like the guy overall but I still hate both of our top two picks from last year, and a Gm lives and dies by the draft.  The really good thing is that he has found some possible gems late in the draft and as udfa.

You hate Leonard Williams?

IN terms of his drafts, who is currently playing?

Williams, Edwards, Mauldin, Lee. 

His only real bust draft wise might be Devin Smith, and that's only because of injury, at least for right now

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This is where people dont see the forest for the trees. There are talented veterans on this team, but the reasoning is not to win now. It is to buy time for him to get younger talent without using the "rebuilding" word that will send the fanbase and the media into a tizzy.

All of these veterans are signed on short term deals and will be off the cap in a few years.

This is a rebuilding project disguised as a win now team.

Perfectly stated.

If only we had gone 7-9 last year like we were supposed to, people's heads would have been on straight for this year.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Perfectly stated.

If only we had gone 7-9 last year like we were supposed to, people's heads would have been on straight for this year.

SAR I

Alan Hahn on the radio that they are in win now mode, but "winning what?" They're not winning the division, they're not winning the Super Bowl. 

A playoff berth is nice but if you don't do anything with it, what's the value?

So what are they trying to win?

9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Alan Hahn on the radio that they are in win now mode, but "winning what?" They're not winning the division, they're not winning the Super Bowl. 

A playoff berth is nice but if you don't do anything with it, what's the value?

So what are they trying to win?

Exactly.  You said it perfectly earlier-  we look like a win-now team because of names like Marshall, Decker, Forte, Mangold, Wilkerson, and Revis.  But those guys are there simply to sell tickets, be somewhat competitive, and nurture the youngsters in Year 2 of a four year rebuild of a 4-12 John Idzik disaster. 

They are trying to win "games", nothing more.  They are not some Super Bowl contender a few players away.  We are an overachieving rebuild with a journeyman quarterback held together with glue and duct tape lacking depth all over the place.  We lose a CB or an OL things get worse, much worse.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.  You said it perfectly earlier-  we look like a win-now team because of names like Marshall, Decker, Forte, Mangold, Wilkerson, and Revis.  But those guys are there simply to sell tickets, be somewhat competitive, and nurture the youngsters in Year 2 of a four year rebuild of a 4-12 John Idzik disaster. 

Carrying a bunch of expensive contracts when you're not in any position to win anything (1) isn't rebuilding and (2) is why Idzik was hired in the first place.

24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You hate Leonard Williams?

IN terms of his drafts, who is currently playing?

Williams, Edwards, Mauldin, Lee. 

His only real bust draft wise might be Devin Smith, and that's only because of injury, at least for right now

No our 1st two picks from this year.

Lee a situational non every down player.  Hackenburg, atrocious reach of a guy who is a total mess.

3 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Carrying a bunch of expensive contracts when you're not in any position to win anything (1) isn't rebuilding and (2) is why Idzik was hired in the first place.

It's called "rebuilding on the fly" which means instead of tanking it to a 1-15 season you get just enough old guys in the right spots to get yourself maybe to 8-8.  And by doing so you keep your season ticket subscriptions intact, you play some exciting games, and you get excellent mentors for the young kids while creating a culture of winning. 

As for the quarterbacks, Maccagnan is doing something interesting, where there are no first round quarterbacks to get he is picking up lower round guys who have high potential but played in a non-pro system.  Where some would run away from guys like Petty and Hackenberg, Maccagnan is believing that good coaching can get them to learn a pro offense and then their physical tools will shine once again.  I like it.  Seems logical.  But it takes time.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

It's called "rebuilding on the fly" which means instead of tanking it to a 1-15 season you get just enough old guys in the right spots to get yourself maybe to 8-8.  And by doing so you keep your season ticket subscriptions intact, you play some exciting games, and you get excellent mentors for the young kids while creating a culture of winning. 

As for the quarterbacks, Maccagnan is doing something interesting, where there are no first round quarterbacks to get he is picking up lower round guys who have high potential but played in a non-pro system.  Where some would run away from guys like Petty and Hackenberg, Maccagnan is believing that good coaching can get them to learn a pro offense and then their physical tools will shine once again.  I like it.  Seems logical.  But it takes time.

SAR I

It's always too soon to tell until it's time to rent an airplane. Jets fans are such saps.

18 hours ago, Tinstar said:

It takes real "Sand" to make certain decisions in the NFL . It would have taken serious "Sand" to not resigned Fitz and go into the season with Geno as the starter and Petty as the backup . This management team doesn't have that "Sand" so they took the safe road in an effort to prolong their Job security .  Only 1 Jet HC in the last 15 years have had that kind of Sand, and Bill Parcells is the other .

Hmmmmmm would that be Edwards :)

Archived