Good thing we drafted a guy 20th overall to cover tight ends...

Beerfish

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

At the time I was bothered more that he was of no use on Hill's TD run. Granted he was late to get there (not finding fault with him for that since I don't know where he started from or where he was supposed to be), but I believe he was the last one to touch or wrap up Hill before scoring, and it didn't look like he had the strength to keep him from crossing the plane. I'd have to go re-check it, as I still have it DVR'd. If anyone has the clip that would make it easier.

Still, it's just his first game. I think he'll be a solid enough player. Just questionable value at #20 in the country.

meh, if he was 10 lbs heavier he goes in the top 10 and isn't there for us.  I remember the play, Hill took 2 guys into the endzone, just gotta tip your cap to him

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

And there you have it, as I suspected on that play Marcus Williams or others were taking the heat for a blown coverage by our tiny linebacker.  Can people once again assure me of how this guy will prevent TE's and RBs from killing us?

QUESTION: Looked like you may have had your first 'Welcome to the NFL' moment on Sunday when Bengals tight end C.J. Uzomah got past you for the long gain. Can you take me through that play?

Lee: It was man-to-man coverage. It was more on myself than him getting me. I took a bad angle, but I settle in after that for sure. It is what it is. It was a rookie mistake. I saw him, then I froze up a little bit. I guess that was like my rookie moment, you know what I mean? They say you can freeze up. It didn't happen again, thank God. That's all it was though. Nothing else.

I don't know if there are any psychologists on the forum that can help you with this.

3 hours ago, Larz said:

meh, if he was 10 lbs heavier he goes in the top 10 and isn't there for us.  I remember the play, Hill took 2 guys into the endzone, just gotta tip your cap to him

Good. Then we use our 1st round pick to take a position that costs more than $6-7M/yr to replace with a veteran in his prime in free agency. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Good. Then we use our 1st round pick to take a position that costs more than $6-7M/yr to replace with a veteran in his prime in free agency. 

Did you save your notes from week 1?  Would be interested to see them posted here each week.  At least the stuff you thought was most interesting.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Did you save your notes from week 1?  Would be interested to see them posted here each week.  At least the stuff you thought was most interesting.

I was in a bar (with crappy wifi, which is why I was MIA here during the game). So no notes. I do have it DVR'd but haven't rematched it yet. With the short week, and the others who have recapped adequately with the better angles (influences my thoughts; I'm human, too), that might not happen anyway. 

1 hour ago, Lizard King said:

This may be the best point made in the whole thread on the Lee pick. 

In fairness, unfortunately without any research behind it, it is likely that a generic LB with supposed coverage skills is past his prime when he hits FA. I have serious doubts teams actually let those guys hit FA in their primes and in general high quality cover LBs are not easy to find.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

In fairness, unfortunately without any research behind it, it is likely that a generic LB with supposed coverage skills is past his prime when he hits FA. I have serious doubts teams actually let those guys hit FA in their primes and in general high quality cover LBs are not easy to find.

Wait until you see what the Pats are going to have to pay Collins to keep him! And they have Hightower too. Collins turned out to be just an amazingly gifted LB. Best pick for the Pats after Brady & Gronk.

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

lol, poor Beerfish. Dog piled.

I hope Lee becomes the kind of 'backer who can make me forget Paxton Lynch. I seriously doubit it happens, but I hope it does. It'd be nice to let go of the rage. 

gotta love how people are convinced that Lynch is the real deal at this point.  He might very well be.  Or not.  Same for the maligned Hackenburg.  So... no rage just yet.  We'll see after a couple of seasons.  So you may be right. 

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

That's a very good point. 

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

And there you have it, as I suspected on that play Marcus Williams or others were taking the heat for a blown coverage by our tiny linebacker.  Can people once again assure me of how this guy will prevent TE's and RBs from killing us?

QUESTION: Looked like you may have had your first 'Welcome to the NFL' moment on Sunday when Bengals tight end C.J. Uzomah got past you for the long gain. Can you take me through that play?

Lee: It was man-to-man coverage. It was more on myself than him getting me. I took a bad angle, but I settle in after that for sure. It is what it is. It was a rookie mistake. I saw him, then I froze up a little bit. I guess that was like my rookie moment, you know what I mean? They say you can freeze up. It didn't happen again, thank God. That's all it was though. Nothing else.

Ever see Game of Thrones, where The Blackfish went down fighting in a blaze of glory in his own castle? You kind of reminded me of that. 

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

lol, poor Beerfish. Dog piled.

I hope Lee becomes the kind of 'backer who can make me forget Paxton Lynch. I seriously doubit it happens, but I hope it does. It'd be nice to let go of the rage. 

I seriously dont think drafting QB in the first round with all of our needs would have been a good idea. Now if Lynch fell to the second, I would take him over Hackenberg. 

19 hours ago, BroadwayJets said:

I remember that play and saying, well, that's exactly what they drafted him for.

But if I want to nitpick...he had a full head of steam and could barely bring down a 5'9 scat back.  But still good recognition and great closing speed.

6 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I seriously dont think drafting QB in the first round with all of our needs would have been a good idea. Now if Lynch fell to the second, I would take him over Hackenberg. 

all of our needs?! How about a fcking QB -- how's that for a need. 

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

gotta love how people are convinced that Lynch is the real deal at this point.  He might very well be.  Or not.  Same for the maligned Hackenburg.  So... no rage just yet.  We'll see after a couple of seasons.  So you may be right. 

True, it's too early to be championing/lambasting anyone. But it also means that nothings changed in terms who i think he is, and what he's going to accomplish. You have be Luke Kuechly to warrant a top 20 selection at LB in my books. The upside of the two positions is night and day. 

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

We just had a QB have the best season in Jets history. No matter how or why he did it, QB was not seen as a need by the experts or a lot of other people

You're gonna tell me, that because we were probably going to resign a 30 something year old career back up with a 7-34 record vs .500 teams -- that THAT was a reason to push QB down the needs list?!!? What universe does your breed come from?? You couldn't have drawn up a better scenario to take a QB and groom him for a year. and by QB, i mean a legit 1st round prospect, not a salvage project out of Penn st. 

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

QB was not seen as a need by the experts or a lot of other people

Also, you're clueless. It was seen as a need. It's why Macc sent scouts and personel all over the damn country to look at prospects. It's also why everyone thought we'd take Lynch if he was there. And it's also why we explored trading up to the top 2 spots. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Get the hell out. You're gonna tell me, that because we were probably going to resign a 30 something year old career back up with a 7-34 record vs .500 teams -- that THAT was a reason to push QB down the needs list?!!? What universe does your breed come from?? You could have drawn up a better scenario to take a QB and groom him for a year. and by QB, i mean a legit 1st round prospect, not a salvage project out of Penn st. 

And the fans would call for him to start after Week 4 and it could have been absolute disaster. You know that fans would not have the patience for that

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Also, you're clueless. It was seen as a need. It's why Macc sent scouts and personel all over the damn country to look at prospects. It's also why everyone thought we'd take Lynch if he was there. And it's also why we explored trading up to the top 2 spots. 

And I hated that idea. They would be asking for trouble if they put a QB in that position

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And the fans would call for him to start after Week 4 and it could have been absolute disaster. You know that fans would not have the patience for that

and that's different how from any other scenario. If Fitz stinks it up, they'll be calling for anyone. Petty, Geno - you name. 

No dice. 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

and that's different how from any other scenario. If Fitz stinks it up, they'll be calling for anyone. Petty, Geno - you name. 

No dice. 

Because if those guys fail, those are only 4th round and 2nd round picks. HAVE to make 1st round picks count. Idzik and Tanny have shown that. 

Archived