Darrelle Revis fires back at J.R. Smith after Twitter criticism

Gas2No99

Darrelle Revis fires back at J.R. Smith after Twitter criticism

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis was a topic of discussion during Week 1 of the NFL season when he surrendered a 54-yard touchdown catch to Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green. Green accumulated 12 catches and 180 yards in the Bengals' 23-22 victory.

Revis again became the center of attention of the NFL world Thursday night when another wideout he was covering, Buffalo Bills receiver Marquise Goodwin, caught a pass and turned it into an 84-yard touchdown.

Revis has been recognized as one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL throughout his career. So it surprised many observers when, through the first two weeks of the regular season, "Revis Island" appeared to be a welcome destination for opposing wide receivers.

One particular athlete, free-agent NBA guard J.R. Smith, tweeted his thoughts on what he was seeing Thursday night.

Smith's tweet drew Revis' ire, and he fired back Friday.

JR Smith will someday soon be living in a  fridge box under a Garden State Parkway overpass scrounging nickel deposit bottles to buy his next 22 oz tallboy. In no one day of his entire athletic career has he ever worked as hard nor as been as sharp at his sport as Revis has been on his slowest day.  Revis is getting older, but make no mistake, he is still more of a student of his sport than almost any other active NFL player,and works as hard as any of them. If he wasn't rich beyond his great grand kids' needs he could easily be a very good HC someday. F__ JR Smith. What  dick. 

Time for Revis to ignore that nonsense and start playing better football. I'd hate to not make the playoffs this year because of a secondary that the org has put a lot of money into. You're supposed to be the Qb on defense and have these guys playing where they are supposed to be not missing assignments which make you look bad. Time for some leadership not a twitter battle with an idiot. 

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If anyone had any doubts remaining, this seals the fact that Revis is truly  "Mevis".

Yeah that was an interesting comment and really does give a look see into how he internalizes these things.  "Hey F*ck it. I'm still going to the hall of fame! "

I would love to see him actually try and recoup some respect as a player here.

39 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If anyone had any doubts remaining, this seals the fact that Revis is truly  "Mevis".

Meh, it's trash talk/ J.R. won a championship and so did Revis, so the next thing to go after who's is more respected at their craft. Yes it's easy to dump on Revis now, but he was elite for a while. J.R. is a journeyman that happen to be on a LeBron James led team. I'll allow it. 

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He's not a likeable guy...which make him exceptionally unlikeable when he's getting $16mm a year to be awful....

He's gotten beat for 2 big plays and we're not used to this. Now that's awful to give up two Tds in 2 weeks. As for the rest of his time on the field I wasn't really watching him most of the time I was too embroiled in two close games to watch one player. Someone else might have a better opinion and maybe watched the film and concentrated on the secondary. Overall I think he did ok and played well but I'm open to other ideas on that. As for his personality he was never good speaking and is not good at interviews although he's polite and tries hard. He got the bad rep when he held out and he had a signed contract. And it was a main part of Hard Knocks the year we were on it. He came across as a greedy bastard. A lot of it fell on his legal team including the agents and his uncle. 

3 minutes ago, rillo said:

Meh, it's trash talk/ J.R. won a championship and so did Revis, so the next thing to go after who's is more respected at their craft. Yes it's easy to dump on Revis now, but he was elite for a while. J.R. is a journeyman that happen to be on a LeBron James led team. I'll allow it. 

There is no comparison between JR and Revis. They are not in the same universe. JR on and off the court has always been in his own universe while Revis has just been a great player. If not for Lebron Cleveland would have finished around .500 at best. 

Let me get this right: someone insults Revis, Revis responds and Jets fans are saying why did he talk about himself are you guys INSANE!!

What would you have liked him to say?

Come on Guys; Jets fans are so quick to attack their own.  

Also it would be different if Revis was walking around bragging and talking stuff like Muhammad Ali. 

He doesn't. 

Revis is for the most part a humble superstar. He isn't Neon Deion or any such thing so why turn him into that?

Is he slipping ?

Yes he is but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be afforded his dignity. 

16 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Let me get this right: someone insults Revis, Revis responds and Jets fans are saying why did he talk about himself are you guys INSANE!!

Also it would be different if Revis was walking around bragging and talking stuff like Muhammad Ali. 

He doesn't. 

Revis is for the most part a humble superstar. He isn't Neon Deion or any such thing so why turn him into that?

Is he slipping ?

Sorry CB, but I am of the opinion that an active player,  no matter how good, should not be referencing his future induction into Canton.  The moniker "Mevis" is well deserved. That just rubs me  the wrong way. 

57 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Sorry CB, but I am of the opinion that an active player,  no matter how good, should not be referencing his future induction into Canton.  The moniker "Mevis" is well deserved. That just rubs me  the wrong way. 

I uped your post because you get to have that feeling and their is nothing wrong with that. I'm of the quiet mode and that is how I played organized sports while my brother talked up a storm.  He literally used talk on and off the field of play as a weapon. And hence I hear what you are saying.

My more general point is that Jets fans will attack their own no matter what...  You literally have posters in another thread defending the facemask grab against BM in the Buffalo game.

To me we eat our own and I just wish we didn't  . 

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

He doesn't. 

Is he slipping ?

Usually agree with you CB. In this case Revis should just STFU. Let your play on the field speak for itself let's not make this into a Josh Norman/ODB clown show, 

There is no comparison between JR and Revis. They are not in the same universe. JR on and off the court has always been in his own universe while Revis has just been a great player. If not for Lebron Cleveland would have finished around .500 at best. 

If not for Tom Brady and Malcolm Butler, Revis would be retiring with zero rings.

Archived