AFC after 2 weeks

Fibonacci

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

It's just maddening watching what goes on in NE. If Garoppolo winds up being the second coming of Brady?  I'll join you for an extended period of purging.  Projectile.

Kudos to you for flagging Garoppolo.  I had never heard of the kid.

Every year around draft time, I consume an irrational amount of buzz and scouting reports, synthesize it, then form a couple of gut feelings about where the value is in each round... I will be the first to tell you, I don't have time to watch NCAA FB, don't watch "film", and am the furthest thing from an interwebz scout... but I am a consultant, and do know how to process research and make recommendations. And I also have a personality archetype that I gravitate to in football players. He met that. Just made a ton of sense for us, IMO.

Oh well. 

He could be the next Matt Cassell or Scott Mitchell too. Also this... 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This whole situation is making me sick to my stomache... I don't often tether myself to QBs in the rookie class during all the pre-draft buzz, but this year Dak and Brissett were two I sort of "mocked" to us, using picks in rounds 1-3 on corner, pass rush and OL. I figured a QB in this year's draft is being drafted to back up Petty, but also, just in case Petty doesn't pan out. 

The year Garrapolo came out, I wanted him or Tom Savage. If 3/4 of these guys end up being good... ugh. Vomit.

yet yesterday, so many 'franchise qbs' didn't get it done:  luck (regressing), bortles (awful), carr, stafford, winston (embarrassing), wilson (injured but still), cousins (he is who we thought he is) and alex smith.   

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

yet yesterday, so many 'franchise qbs' didn't get it done:  luck (regressing), bortles (awful), carr, stafford, winston (embarrassing), wilson (injured but still), cousins (he is who we thought he is) and alex smith.   

I really don't know what point you're trying to make.

11 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

It's just maddening watching what goes on in NE. If Garoppolo winds up being the second coming of Brady?  I'll join you for an extended period of purging.  Projectile.

Kudos to you for flagging Garoppolo.  I had never heard of the kid.

Obrien & the Texans have some film on Brissett now. Miami sucks & is still an undisciplined team. If the refs actually decide to call the Pats Oline for holding it will be this Thursday Night when JJ Watt comes to town. Nick Mangold had a tough time with that beast & your going to tell me some slapdick center for the Pats is gonna stone him? Pats 3 & outs double come TNF, Texans will get a lot of offensive chances. They just need to protect the damn ball, something the Fins couldn't do.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I really don't know what point you're trying to make.

you were complaining about garappolo.  i think it's increasingly clear that belichick's system works for the qbs.  cassell thrived when brady went down, garapolo comes in and looks great.  yet so many of these highly touted qbs sucked yesterday.  fitz isn't terrible compared to most of these qbs, what we're seeing is that the jets finally have an offensive coaching system and philosophy that is producing points and success.  that's what the pats have, but not all these other teams with more talented qbs.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

you were complaining about garappolo.  i think it's increasingly clear that belichick's system works for the qbs.  cassell thrived when brady went down, garapolo comes in and looks great.  yet so many of these highly touted qbs sucked yesterday.  fitz isn't terrible compared to most of these qbs, what we're seeing is that the jets finally have an offensive coaching system and philosophy that is producing points and success.  that's what the pats have, but not all these other teams with more talented qbs.

Ah, I see. Well, there's several QBs on that list from yesterday's games alone that lost because of their offensive line play. The Pats have Dante Scarnecchia coaching his guys up on holding techniques. LOL

Pats have a great system for their QBs, no question. Which matters, and is (to your point) why Fitz plays above his career average here with the Jets.

On 5/9/2014 at 8:20 PM, JiF said:

Hmph.  Mayock has him rated like 45...so maybe I just thought he was rated higher for some reason.

I want Amaro.  I'm locked in. 

On 5/9/2014 at 8:22 PM, GREENBEAN said:

I want Amaro now!

On 5/9/2014 at 8:23 PM, Integrity28 said:

This would be an ideal spot to trade back a few spots, we could still get someone like Amaro or one of the WRs, and we can add something in R3 or R4.

On 5/9/2014 at 8:23 PM, Gastineau Lives said:

Hey, I was seeing Amaro mocked to the Jets in the FIRST ROUND. Take this ******* guy.

On 5/9/2014 at 8:26 PM, Integrity28 said:

Really curious here.... do we really have Amaro or Latimer rated higher than Garrapolo?

On 5/9/2014 at 8:27 PM, Integrity28 said:

You know what... I'm okay with Garrapolo here. Honestly, it's about value. Him or Hyde... I dunno... 

Puke, puke puke!!!! 

Should have never gone back and looked at this (posts from 2014 draft thread, day two). I'm sorry everyone.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Ah, I see. Well, there's several QBs on that list from yesterday's games alone that lost because of their offensive line play. The Pats have Dante Scarnecchia coaching his guys up on holding techniques. LOL

Pats have a great system for their QBs, no question. Which matters, and is (to your point) why Fitz plays above his career average here with the Jets.

and stretching the concept, watching petty in the preseason makes you wonder if he can also thrive in this system.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

and stretching the concept, watching petty in the preseason makes you wonder if he can also thrive in this system.  

I totally think and hope he can, when the time comes. I hope, equally, that Fitz keeps us from contemplating the backup all season long.

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Obrien & the Texans have some film on Brissett now. Miami sucks & is still an undisciplined team. If the refs actually decide to call the Pats Oline for holding it will be this Thursday Night when JJ Watt comes to town. Nick Mangold had a tough time with that beast & your going to tell me some slapdick center for the Pats is gonna stone him? Pats 3 & outs double come TNF, Texans will get a lot of offensive chances. They just need to protect the damn ball, something the Fins couldn't do.

Man, I would give a few years of what I have left to see JJ go completely insane against NE.  Just smashing anything in a Pats uniform to bits.

9 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Man, I would give a few years of what I have left to see JJ go completely insane against NE.  Just smashing anything in a Pats uniform to bits.

I'm gonna be watching closely on TNF, the Pats get away with a lot of holding, I'm sure Dante teaches great holding techniques that are harder for the Refs to spot. In the game yesterday Edelman had a BLATENT block on a WR screen before the ball was out. I was dumbfounded the announcers said NOTHING about it. I know they are bang bang plays but coaches seem to always remind the refs to look for them as the Pats are masters of being a little early on those picks & blocks. 

We might see a few more of those called Thursday night seeing how Obrien knows that offense inside out & will probably be doing some pre game reminding the refs to look for them. Especially with a rookie QB & the timing not being all there.

15 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I have to admit it would be fun watching Edelman at QB in the 2nd half & next week vs Rex,lol.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Their oline and deangleo willimas look really good as does their D, Ben roths has looked worse than expected so far if you ask me.

I don;t know what it is but I just don't like Tomlin.

You mean besides the obvious?

mike-tomlin-steps-onto-the-field-during-

k-bigpic.jpg

The Jets can extend the deep ball and rush the passer well. When you can do both those things in the NFL, you always have a shot.  The Jets will need some luck with weather down the line because high winds or rain/snow is going to limit Fitz, but the AFC looks like it's a 3-team conference right now with about 4 to 6 2nd tier teams that would have a chance in the playoffs depending on matchups and locations. All of those teams have their own deficiencies, some similar, some unique. The Jets are one of those teams and the good news is the areas where they are strong in are the areas that matter the most; rushing the QB and the deep ball.

End of the day though, if this team gives away games like it did in Cinci last week or Houston and Buffalo last year, it's going nowhere. The Bowles era is rife with losses like that and it has to end immediately if Bowles wants to keep his job.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes.  

2 very good D's, 2 terrible O's with very questionable QB play.  They're both 1 and done if/when they make the playoffs. 

Denver's defense looks as good or better than they were last year. Their offensive line is dominating and the running game looks great. The QB does enough to manage the game and they continue to grind out wins against great teams, just like they did last year as champions. 

Houston also has a very good defense. You might want to watch them on offense. Hopkins and Fuller look like the scariest WR combo in the league, and Osweiler is getting them the ball downfield. 

It remains to be seen if they hold up, but they clearly look like the class of their divisions in the first two weeks and serious AFC contenders. To call them "not good football teams" indicates you haven't really watched either team play, or just don't understand football. 

week 2 summary........Jets are in 2nd place in their division behind  a 2-0 pats team.....surprise, surprise.........Bills & fins appear to be nothing more than potential spoilers at this point....... week 3 no significant changes......rinse & repeat for the next 12 weeks ......your welcome

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

Denver's defense looks as good or better than they were last year. Their offensive line is dominating and the running game looks great. The QB does enough to manage the game and they continue to grind out wins against great teams, just like they did last year as champions. 

Houston also has a very good defense. You might want to watch them on offense. Hopkins and Fuller look like the scariest WR combo in the league, and Osweiler is getting them the ball downfield. 

It remains to be seen if they hold up, but they clearly look like the class of their divisions in the first two weeks and serious AFC contenders. To call them "not good football teams" indicates you haven't really watched either team play, or just don't understand football. 

What the Broncos got away w/ vs. the Panthers was criminal and if called correctly, no doubt in my mind changes the outcome of that game.  Beating up Indy who has the worst OL in the league, is far from impressive.  Are they dangerous on D?  Hell yes.  Time will tell if they're a complete team...right now, I dont think they are as that offense is far from good right now.

I watched a lot of the Houston vs. KC game because they're next on the schedule.  19 points on 3 turnovers is not impressive for Houstons offense.  In fact, its pathetic.  Osweiler is not impressive at all.  2 terrible picks and he some serious accuracy issues when he needs to thread the needle. 

I dont think being the class of the AFCW or AFCS is impressive.  Maybe they get better and live up to this billing you've given them but I'm not sold at all. 

Maybe I just dont understand Football.  Yep.  That's it.  

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

What the Broncos got away w/ vs. the Panthers was criminal and if called correctly, no doubt in my mind changes the outcome of that game.  Beating up Indy who has the worst OL in the league, is far from impressive.  Are they dangerous on D?  Hell yes.  Time will tell if they're a complete team...right now, I dont think they are as that offense is far from good right now.

I watched a lot of the Houston vs. KC game because they're next on the schedule.  19 points on 3 turnovers is not impressive for Houstons offense.  In fact, its pathetic.  Osweiler is not impressive at all.  2 terrible picks and he some serious accuracy issues when he needs to thread the needle. 

I dont think being the class of the AFCW or AFCS is impressive.  Maybe they get better and live up to this billing you've given them but I'm not sold at all. 

Maybe I just dont understand Football.  Yep.  That's it.  

+ 1

1 minute ago, JetCane said:

+1

I didn't realize how much more fun it was to read this board for all those months until they let him back in.  It's just better without coming across all the digs and jabs in most threads. Eventually it turns into derailing threads and he gets bounced for a few months.  Wash. rinse repeat.  Spit.  Ugh.  

Jets are at this point about as well placed as last year to make a wildcard push, partially b/c it seems like some of the teams that should have been much better (like the Raiders/KC/Cinci) are still stuck in the 'can't quite take the next step' phase of their development.

I don't know, so much of course depends on how injuries play out.  For the big 3 (Pats, Denver, Pitt) they are deep teams that can lose a lot of personnel and still look ok (like last year), but for teams on that wildcard threshold like the Jets, a big injury would be totally fatal (like if Marshall, Forte or Wilk went down).

13 minutes ago, PatriotReign37 said:

Pats vs Packers in the Super Bowl.

What a great game that will be.

Who will my wife root for?

she is anti-Aaron Rodgers since his brother Jordan said he's too good for the rest of the family since Hollywooding out.

she knows that the cheaters are dirty sc*mbags.

guess she'll root for cool halftime performances

22 minutes ago, ljr said:

she is anti-Aaron Rodgers since his brother Jordan said he's too good for the rest of the family since Hollywooding out.

She could be working on your mock draft?

Probably start in a few weeks.

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'll keep it to just our division. My take on the first couple weeks is that the Jets are 1 game back of the Patriots. This is because the Jets are 1-1, but the Pats are 2-0.

If the Jets win and the Pats lose next weekend, they will both be 2-1. There are some other scenarios that I'm working on as well but I haven't done all the math yet.

Dont forget the 2/3 = 75% formula.

She shouldn't be rooting for either team.

She should be making you a sandwich and bringing you beers.

Archived