This Wentz stuff is insane

AFJF

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Ryan - Missed out on because we had to beat KC because moral victories.

Wentz - Missed out on because we weren't willing to pay to trade up.

Garoppolo - Passed on for Jace Amaro and another year of Geno.

Rivers - Literally the only one of this 5 we have no connection to.

Flacco - Passed on for Vernon Gholston.

Come on. None of these guys have cool beards.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You forgot Carr and Bridgewater because Calvin Pryor

I like you mentioned Carr and Bridgewater, but imo Idzik passed on both not because he thought Pryor was the better pick so much as that he was committed to developing his second round pick from the year before, that of course being Geno Smith.

10 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

These comparisons are useless.  There is NO way anyone saw what Wentz is doing.  It is easy to say now we should have taken him, but he was classified as a project.  Garoppolo, same thing.  He has been able to sit behind a sure fire hall of famer.  You don't think he looks this good because of that?  He would have been no better than Geno was because he would have been thrown to the wolves and played with Kerley, Nelson, and Gates.

Nobody has a crystal ball but you'd think the Jets would eventually luck into something over the last 40 years. 

Excuses for sh*t decision after sh*t decision based on "no one could have known" is really a sh*t decision. 

There's a lot of money tied up into paying people to make those sh*t decisions. 

10 hours ago, phill1c said:

Hmm, I really don't get too hyped up about QBs having a few good starts. It's having a few good YEARS. Many QBs do well until defenses get film on them.

Followed by the Patriots trading them the next year for a first rounder and then they suck.  But this one burns a little extra after the 6 interception performance by our QB and the stable of long shots behind him.  

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

It is hard to develop young QBs when they keep signing stop-gap veterans to 5 figure deals. :)

And defensive minded stubborn head coaches that just want QBs to "manage the game" rather than a head coach he will actively develop the position that is more important than all others combined.

43 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Considering that Smith seems to be the only alternative, and the week before Fitzpatrick was Offensive Player of the Week, yeah, no question.  Next!

After the last game Geno started he was named Offensive Player of the week...and at his worst he has never played a game like Fitz did @KC last week; no other quarterback in  NFL history has...

I could handle Geno-esque play at Geno prices; it would suck balls but not nearly as bad as that same level of  play from a 12th yr vet making what Fitz is making...to whom much is given, much is required...

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

No. They gave Geno the reps because Petty hadn't shown himself to be ready.  What Petty showed in TC (particularly games 2 and 4) was that he might actually be a starting QB in the NFL.  Given that he's under contract going forward and Geno isn't, if the Jets fall out of contention and make a QB change, it's likely to be to Petty, not Geno.  Geno is the number 2 if Fitz gets injured while the Jets are still in contention.

This isn't rocket surgery.

We are more or less saying the same thing.

The only difference is that you contend the FO viewed Petty as a potential starter on the heels of a couple decent quarters against 3rd stringers, while I believe his decent play was the reason he wasn't cut.  He's still a project with next year being the opportunity for his full audition.

Of course they're not going to roll with Geno if they're out of contention.

This isn't brain science.

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Passed on Lynch and Dak this year. Passed on Siemien the year before, after blowing our chance to get Mariota. Passed on Carr and Bridgewater the year before that. Passed on Wilson in 2012. The quarterbacks have been there, and teams have been finding them, but 4 front offices in a row have blown it for the Jets every which way possible.

The crazy part is the Jets have taken more shots than anyone at this the past decade or so.

THIS!  Its poor management and player development. Yet we have 2 or 3 knuckleheads saying its all Geno's lack of development as to why we are where we are at.  

14 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

THIS!  Its poor management and player development. Yet we have 2 or 3 knuckleheads saying its all Geno's lack of development as to why we are where we are at.  

Hmm, could it be that QBs really are a product of the offense they play for? That if your OL sucks and you have no receivers that you really have NO SHOT at being a Franchise QB. Could it be that continuity--having the same OC and system in place--allows a QB to flourish, while having a lack of continuity really holds a QB's development back?

That said, it's unclear why the Jets TRADED UP for a QB who really didn't have the measurables, like Sanchez. I think that just underscores how poor the Jets' talent evaluation has been before Mac arrived.

4 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Hmm, could it be that QBs really are a product of the offense they play for? That if your OL sucks and you have no receivers that you really have NO SHOT at being a Franchise QB. Could it be that continuity--having the same OC and system in place--allows a QB to flourish, while having a lack of continuity really holds a QB's development back?

That said, it's unclear why the Jets TRADED UP for a QB who really didn't have the measurables, like Sanchez. I think that just underscores how poor the Jets' talent evaluation has been before Mac arrived.

agreed...that falls on management. Management as defined as, owner, GM, coaches, scouts.  I FULLY believe if we drafted Flacco, he would be garbage as REX would have ruined him.  

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

agreed...that falls on management. Management as defined as, owner, GM, coaches, scouts.  I FULLY believe if we drafted Flacco, he would be garbage as REX would have ruined him.  

Rex and a dearth of quality talent on the OL and WR positions. But maybe Rex had more to do with that than I blame him for. Some have said that the Jets fan base is responsible. I don't believe that, but I do see a bit of 'hero worship', looking for the next Tom Brady, as if Tom Brady wasn't a six-round draft pick himself, that is, just a guy with no particularly stellar college resume or measurables.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Jets don't do business like they use to with cutting Milliner, McDougle, Amaro. 1-2-3rd round picks! Thank you Macc! Stop wasting time with bad choices. Finally, we have a GM with balls & a plan. How anyone can criticize what Macc has done so far is beyond me? This IS THE GUY that will find us a QB & put into place a system to develop him. I hope he gets the time he needs.

Wow, you are hammered on the Kool aide bro. Like two-thirty dirty in the bathroom hammered. 

You know who else was get forum blowjobs? Idzik. 

There's a lot to like about what Mike's done, but a critical eye reveals more truth than blind lust. The QB situation for example is still in shambles. Peterson's been the headcoach of PHI for 8 months, has that situation sorted out handsomely.  

3 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

I like you mentioned Carr and Bridgewater, but imo Idzik passed on both not because he thought Pryor was the better pick so much as that he was committed to developing his second round pick from the year before, that of course being Geno Smith.

There was a lot of threads from Jet fans including myself that felt we needed to pick another QB to hedge our bets on Geno & let them fight it out in camp, may the best man win.

Just the thought that Bridgewater & Carr were both options is sickening. The Jets had so much faith in Geno they passed over him twice. Then thought he was a bargain I guess? Just crazy. 

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

There was a lot of threads from Jet fans including myself that felt we needed to pick another QB to hedge our bets on Geno & let them fight it out in camp, may the best man win.

Just the thought that Bridgewater & Carr were both options is sickening. The Jets had so much faith in Geno they passed over him twice. Then thought he was a bargain I guess? Just crazy. 

I still wonder how far Geno would have fallen if Idzik didn't pick him. I would guess 4-5th rd. 

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Wentz - Missed out on because we weren't willing to pay to trade up.

this is not entirely true. The Eagles had the 8th overall pick from Miami, they still needed to pony up an extra 1st in 2017 to get to 2 overall. The Jets couldn't match that deal if they wanted. 

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Wow, you are hammered on the Kool aide bro. Like two-thirty dirty in the bathroom hammered. 

You know who else was get forum blowjobs? Idzik. 

There's a lot to like about what Mike's done, but a critical eye reveals more truth than blind lust. The QB situation for example is still in shambles. Peterson's been the headcoach of PHI for 8 months, has that situation sorted out handsomely.  

Pederson got lucky, he walked into a situation where they already had Sam Bradford. I don't know if you've noticed but Sam Bradford is better than any QB the Jets have had since Vinny T, lol. They traded him for a 1 & a 4! Macc took over a team with Geno Smith on it, a guy that even though QBs were falling like flys the phone remained silent. 

He was also in no mans land in the draft, pretty typical for the mediocre Jets that always win a few games at the end of the season to drop just low enough to miss out on a QB that can change this team around.

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Then beat it.

Ok so what are they offering. This years' 20, and maybe the next 2 firsts might do it. But even then Cleveland probably won't get a pick as high as 8 out of the deal. The Jets with all the DL strength etc aren't going to win 1 game. They will be solidly mediocre at worst.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ok so what are they offering. This years' 20, and maybe the next 2 firsts might do it. But even then Cleveland probably won't get a pick as high as 8 out of the deal. The Jets with all the DL strength etc aren't going to win 1 game. They will be solidly mediocre at worst.

Who cares? Being solidly mediocre for a year, or two, or three, is more than worth landing a quarterback.

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Who cares? Being solidly mediocre for a year, or two, or three, is more than worth landing a quarterback.

if tanking games was the way to get better in the NFL, Cleveland would be champions by now.  all being bad does is create a culture of losing

btw here's a prediction we are at peak wentz for 2016. Lane Johnson's suspension finally kicks in and that line will go from amazing to garbage for the next 10 weeks. 

Add Derek Carr to the list of QBs that we liked but passed on because after getting burned by Sanchez, Woody will never take another offensive player in the first round.

And we can't develop a QB because we take projects way too early.

Petty couldn't identify the middle linebacker in a preseason game his rookie year and Hackenberg cant hit a building with his throws.  Yet, NE, Dal, Den, heck even Cle can run out a scrub and they play effectively. 

Since this franchise is too good to finish with the #1 pick we are just going to have to live with inferior QB play unless we want to pony up.  And pray that it's for the "right" guy.

Archived