Can we please admit that the real problem is Woody Johnson?

Lizard King

Amongst other things, the Fitz and Revis deals have Woody written all over them. I highly doubt that Maccagnan wanted Fitz back here in such a way that he met the outrageous asking price from Fitz, that was so far from his initial offer. There are so many examples of headline grabbing, long term sacrificing gimmicks from Woody that I won't even restate the obvious. Simply put, he is Al Davis and Jerry Jones without any of the success. And we are all stuck suffering for it. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with this.  He was the Revis deal, and likely pushed for the Fitz deal.  

The day after Revis signed, they were featuring his jersey on the website.  That says it all.  

The Jets need a reboot year to grow organically.  

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

I agree with this.  He was the Revis deal, and likely pushed for the Fitz deal.  

The day after Revis signed, they were featuring his jersey on the website.  That says it all.  

The Jets need a reboot year to grow organically.  

Woody Johnson is not in charge of advertising or retail marketing. 

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Woody is not the problem. He's not stopping us from getting a franchise quarterback or prevent the deep ball or defend tight ends

I disagree BigRy his continuous hiring of inexperienced head coaches from Al Groh to Herman Edwards to Eric Mangini to Rex Ryan and now the current idiot Todd Bowles what these hirings have done is keep the Jets from having a head coach from the OTHER SIDE OF THE BALL who might have the ability to develop a young quarterback.     

Would anyone object to giving Nick "the Nicktator" Saban another shot in the NFL for the Jets? 

Cowherd thinks the failure on Saban's resume with the Dolphins for an egomaniac like that drives him crazy.  Believes it will bother him until he eventually takes another crack at the NFL.  I think Cowherd is right. 

My question is when and if he would mess with Belicheat and the AFCE again...

My post is OT... btw I hate Woody.  His franchise ownership is only marginally more tolerable.

8 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Would anyone object to giving Nick "the Nicktator" Saban another shot in the NFL for the Jets? 

Cowherd thinks the failure on Saban's resume with the Dolphins for an egomaniac like that drives him crazy.  Believes it will bother him until he eventually takes another crack at the NFL.  I think Cowherd is right. 

My post is OT... btw I hate Woody. His franchise ownership is only marginally more tolerable.

Forget it. He would never come here. 

Nice thought though.

My post is OT... btw I hate Woody. His franchise ownership is only marginally more tolerable.

Yes.  If we can figure out to get him all the top talent in the country like he has at Alabama. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Yes.  If we can figure out to get him all the top talent in the country like he has at Alabama. 

Yeah... I know.  Tom Coughlin?  I feel this franchise needs an experienced head coach that has reached the pinnacle of his profession, even if it is at the college ranks.  A coach that demands respect.  His way or the highway.... 

I am done with Bowles already.

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Sure but the likely outcome will be that the Jets hire him andnhe produces  2-3 sub  .500 seasons, he gets fired, then Belichick retires, Nick repaces him and the NEP win 12-14 games for the next 5 years.

nah. he hired the guy parcells recommended when he left, didn't work. he tried to steal a guy from the chowds, didn't work. he hired a search firm, didn't work. he went to the NFL owners 911 group and hired who they told him to hire and right now its not working

its namath's curse

or me

56 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I don't who's responsible but 40 plus years of bad coaching, bad contracts, awful draft picks and terrible QBs has to be someone's fault. 

Woody is a joke.  He inherited a good team in '01 thanks to Parcells.  We had a decent run with Rex for a couple years and we will be crap next 10-20 years thanks to this moron

The real problem isn't Woody Johnson, it's Jets fans who don't want to face a real rebuild.

Every time we do the right thing and fire the head coach we unfortunately have a 10 win season, think we've fixed all our problems, load up on free agents, and fall flat on our faces until the cycle repeats itself over and over again.  You are in Year 2 Game 4 of a multi-year rebuild.  Last year's 10 wins were against a cupcake schedule.  This year's schedule is very challenging.

I applaud Woody for doing it the right way this time, not taking shortcuts to appease unrealistic fans.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Woody is a joke.  He inherited a good team in '01 thanks to Parcells.  We had a decent run with Rex for a couple years and we will be crap next 10-20 years thanks to this moron

In the 15 seasons Woody Johnson has owned the Jets:

We have had a .500 or better record 11 of 15 years
We have had a winning record 9 of 15 years
We have made the playoffs 6 of 15 tries
We have won 6 playoff games

All of this while having the greatest head coach and quarterback who ever lived in the same division.

Yeah, we don't get hats and rings for this but I could name 20 other NFL franchises that would kill for this resume, and statistically speaking if those teams weren't facing Belichick/Brady they'd have won a Championship or two.  Woody has done just fine here.

SAR I

My post is OT... btw I hate Woody.  His franchise ownership is only marginally more tolerable.

Wow I thought I was the only one.  Even though I'm a long time Jet-fan, the silver lining when they stink is that I can't stand Woody Johnson.  Of course it probably doesn't matter much to him as he still makes his money w/ PSLs etc but probably bugs him somewhat.

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

In the 15 seasons Woody Johnson has owned the Jets:

We have had a .500 or better record 11 of 15 years
We have had a winning record 9 of 15 years
We have made the playoffs 6 of 15 tries
We have won 6 playoff games

All of this while having the greatest head coach and quarterback who ever lived in the same division.

Yeah, we don't get hats and rings for this but I could name 20 other NFL franchises that would kill for this resume, and statistically speaking if those teams weren't facing Belichick/Brady they'd have won a Championship or two.  Woody has done just fine here.

SAR I

A list of quasi-accomplishments we've managed to blind squirrel in spite of having an owner who thinks the fans know what they're talking about doesn't exactly help.

1 hour ago, Kevin L said:

I can't hate Woody because I think he truly wants to win. He just has no clue how to do it.

While I applaud his recent consulting with Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf and bringing in Maccagnan who I really like, Woody Johnson still does something I will never understand:

Keeps hiring rookie head coaches.

Enough.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

While I applaud his recent consulting with Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf and bringing in Maccagnan who I really like, Woody Johnson still does something I will never understand:

Enough.

SAR I

He also hired the coach before the GM.  What happened to picking a guy to run the organization and letting that guy make the decisions?

Just now, SAR I said:

Enough.

SAR I

To be successful at anything you have to hire grownups and let them work. These people hate that, and Woody cares. Therefore we're screwed forever.

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He also hired the coach before the GM.  What happened to picking a guy to run the organization and letting that guy make the decisions?

True, though I guess with both the HC and GM being rookies it feels like it is a one-time scenario, Casserly and Wolf liked each of these guys and I can see why Woody trusted their combined opinion over that of a recently promoted scout. 

SAR I

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hiring Casserly and Wolf is actually the most frustrating part of it all. By all measures Woody went about this most recent hiring process the right way and he still manages to cock it up. What the ****.

I agree. The results of this have been really surprising tbh. I thought that he may have actually gotten this one right - but now idk.

For what's it's worth (after 50 years of being a loyal NY Jets Fan), I would respectfully suggest the following:

1. Please leave your personal politics outside the door. Mr. Johnson. I watch the Jets to enjoy sports, not to be subjected to your personal political beliefs.
2. Let Mac call the shots and hire his own coach. Not allowing the GM to choose his coach is a sign you still know almost nothing about how successful football organizations work. Not seeing during the interview process that TB is clearly not yet ready to be an HC.... I think all of us Jets fans have just had about enuf of the management circus act you have been running here for the last several decades.
3. Do no interfere in any way in the draft or FA process, ever again, if you truly care about what is good for this team.
4. If necessary, give Mac a well respected hard ass money man consiglieri, as a sounding board so he's not not bamboozled into brain dead Revis type contracts ever again, particularly if you initiate them.
5. Bench Fitz now; eat the contract. Start Geno now. Tank the season, Rinse and repeat till you find yourself a Wentz.
or better yet, just sell the team. Try something else in life 2 see if you can actually accomplish something on your own for a change, without the benefit of just being a trust fund baby who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. I think it's safe to say most of us have grown tired of your amateur night shtick a long long time ago already.

8 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Woody is not the problem. He's not stopping us from getting a franchise quarterback or prevent the deep ball or defend tight ends

We have $30 million tied up in Revis and Fitzpatrick. That is directly impacting Maccagnan from signing guys to prevent the deep ball (and throw the deep ball!), and defend tight ends. 

4 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

We have $30 million tied up in Revis and Fitzpatrick. That is directly impacting Maccagnan from signing guys to prevent the deep ball (and throw the deep ball!), and defend tight ends. 

While I'm sure he threw his opinion in there re a desire to bring back Revis, it doesn't mean sign him at any cost.

Nor is there any evidence he is the main influence behind bringing back Fitzpatrick. That has the fingerprints of Bowles + MM on their own more than a decree from the owner. Not saying it couldn't be, but here isn't even a credible rumor in the press that he was behind it despite the better judgments of both his HC and GM. Facts we know suggest otherwise. 

I have no love for the man, who's said plenty of foolish things, but until proven otherwise those signings are both on Maccagnan. 

It's not conceivable that a HC doesn't pull a QB after 4, 5 or 6 INT's unless he's told not to. Got to be a FO decision. Fitz needed to be pulled from the KC game if for nothing else but his own good. Perhaps Bowles has the order to not let Smith see the light of day on game day. Pure speculation but this QB crap has surpassed many Jets HC's. The Rex  QB fiasco most recently. Now 9 INT's in 2 games. Can Fitz recover mentally from that? Any QB will be second guessing himself especially Fitz with his noodle arm trying to thread a needle between defenders. The QB situation is only one of many problems the Jets need to fix. And fix NOW!

Archived