Geno Smith to start on Sunday vs the Ravens

Maxman

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

I remember a time, it Opening Day, Sep 11th, a fired up crowd and Fitz drove his team down the field and threw a TD pass in the 1st drive. That seems like such a long time ago........

I remember a time , Opening Day , Sep 8th 2013 , a fired up crowd and Geno rallied his team to defeat the Bucaneers 18-17. 

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

It very well might. Or I'll do what a lot of people are doing now and stop watching football

That would be a very Jetsy thing to do, be we endure. We are the New York Jets!

No one likes us, no one likes us we don't care, we don't Care, we are NY Jets, Super Jets from New York!!!

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

I remember a time , Opening Day , Sep 8th 2013 , a fired up crowd and Geno rallied his team to defeat the Bucaneers 18-17. 

I also remember a fired up Atlanta crowd for Geno's first prime time MNF game a week after the "behind the back fumble" game. Geno rallied that team back for an impressive win. If I'm correct he was also player of the week.

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

You have an intersting memory.  I remember it a bit differently.  I remember a gift Tampa Gave us that directly led to the win:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Nick Folk kicked a 48-yard field goal with 2 seconds remaining after Lavonte David's personal foul penalty kept New York's drive alive, and the Jets pulled out an improbable 18-17 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the season opener for both teams Sunday.

With the Jets trailing 17-15 and time running out, rookie Geno Smith scrambled for 10 yards -- and was shoved while he was out of bounds by David.  The 15-yard penalty gave the Jets the ball at the Buccaneers' 30-yard line and set up the winning field goal by Folk on the next play.

Things appeared dim for the Jets just moments earlier when Rian Lindellkicked a 37-yard field goal with 34 seconds left.

Smith, making his first NFL start with Mark Sanchez out with a shoulder injury, made some mistakes -- a fumble that led to a score and an interception -- but was mostly solid while going 24 of 38 for 256 yards with a touchdown.

No Penalty, we lose.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, because we are all Jets' fans after all, but I still can't help but laugh at the great degree of drama going on here, complemented by a very intriguing set of fabricated storylines.

In the end, there's not much going on that's all that crazy.  Fitz sucks, Geno sucks, and while as of yet unproven, it is within great likelihood that Petty and Hackenberg will eventually be found to suck as well.  Nothing would be better than for one of those 4 to turn out to be great, and I couldn't give less of a sh*t which one, but it's the Jets... so who the hell really thinks that's going to happen?

I am happy for Geno and I hope he succeeds. There are literally no excuses for him if he doesnt have success. That being said, if I tune in Sunday and start seeing fumbles in the pocket, and screen passes for a pick 6, it's going to be hard to get me to watch another game that the Jets play this season until Petty or Hack are in.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You have an intersting memory.  I remember it a bit differently.  I remember a gift Tampa Gave us that directly led to the win:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Nick Folk kicked a 48-yard field goal with 2 seconds remaining after Lavonte David's personal foul penalty kept New York's drive alive, and the Jets pulled out an improbable 18-17 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the season opener for both teams Sunday.

With the Jets trailing 17-15 and time running out, rookie Geno Smith scrambled for 10 yards -- and was shoved while he was out of bounds by David.  The 15-yard penalty gave the Jets the ball at the Buccaneers' 30-yard line and set up the winning field goal by Folk on the next play.

Things appeared dim for the Jets just moments earlier when Rian Lindellkicked a 37-yard field goal with 34 seconds left.

Smith, making his first NFL start with Mark Sanchez out with a shoulder injury, made some mistakes -- a fumble that led to a score and an interception -- but was mostly solid while going 24 of 38 for 256 yards with a touchdown.

Did the Jets not win 18-17 . No one took away Fitz wins for stupid things the opposition did.

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Did the Jets not win 18-17 . No one took away Fitz wins for stupid things the opposition did.

Geno threw one TD that day.  He gave up (personally) one fumble-caused TD that day.  Classic Geno Smith in the making.

Without the last Tampa penalty, as dumb a late hit as I've ever seen since M.G., we lose the game sitting as time expires at Tampa's 45 yard line.  

If that game is your shining memory of Geno Smith, so be it.

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If starting Fitz no longer makes sense so we can see the young guys, Geno doesn't make any sense either.  The quicker we get to Petty/Hack, the better.  So while it'd be nice if Geno turns into a franchise guy magically, I'm not holding my breath.  And if he isn't going to be on the roster next year, I'd prefer he sucked especially hard, rather than just be "meh" or even "OK", so we can get to the young guys quicker. 

Call it "piss poor", but I'm no worse than the people who hoped Fitz would suck.  At 1-5 and in range for a top draft pick, It's for the betterment of the franchise that we move on from both as quickly as possible, and see what we have in the young guys so we can evaluate if we need to take another QB in '17.

Starting Fitz no longer makes sense because he's a disaster. lmfao  I would agree, it seems silly to go to Geno now.  That ship has sailed but I think its more a product of Petty than it is of Geno.  He's not healthy and hasnt been practicing. 

Dont stoop to that level.  I may have wanted nothing to do with Fitz but the last thing I wanted was to see this happen.  Why root for someone to suck as opposed to have them play lights out and be the guy?  It's bizarre and points to something larger...but whatevs. 

It is funny though that you keep repeating every point I've tried to make to you and now all of a sudden its a good idea. 

40 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There fore Geno is gud.  The math is simple in a Hawking wave/particle theory kind of fashion.

Come'on Beer, give me more credit than that.  That wasnt my point at all.  I was just simply raising your sh*tty gifs of Geno with the worst quarterbacked game in the history of Football. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Come'on Beer, give me more credit than that.  That wasnt my point at all.  I was just simply raising your sh*tty gifs of Geno with the worst quarterbacked game in the history of Football. 

I can't give you credit for pulling of a joewilly type act of defiance!

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Geno threw one TD that day.  He gave up (personally) one fumble-caused TD that day.  Classic Geno Smith in the making.

Without the last Tampa penalty, as dumb a late hit as I've ever seen since M.G., we lose the game sitting as time expires at Tampa's 45 yard line.  

If that game is your shining memory of Geno Smith, so be it.

Hey I was there , you don't need to remind me of how they won(thank you Lavonte David) .  But that day Jets fans were pumped up, they were behind the Jets and Geno just like the fans were behind Fitz  and the Jets on opening day this year.

I purposely chose that game because it proves the two QB's in question are held to different standards.

Geno wasn't good but won , likewise many times last year Fitz wasn't good and the Jets won. I heard no one last year stating well Fitz did nothing and was lucky that the Jets won.

Nobody cares how you win when your winning ,just like Fitz's magical carpet ride against bottom feeders last year

Regardless, at this point the team needed a change at QB , Geno is next man up , if and when he falters then hopefully Petty or Hack are next in line. Its as simple as that.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Hey I was there , you don't need to remind me of how they won(thank you Lavonte David) .  But that day Jets fans were pumped up, they were behind the Jets and Geno just like the fans were behind Fitz  and the Jets on opening day this year.

I purposely chose that game because it proves the two QB's in question are held to different standards.

Geno wasn't good but won , likewise many times last year Fitz wasn't good and the Jets won. I heard no one last year stating well Fitz did nothing and was lucky that the Jets won.

Nobody cares how you win when your winning ,just like Fitz's magical carpet ride against bottom feeders last year

Regardless, at this point the team needed a change at QB , Geno is next man up , if and when he falters then hopefully Petty or Hack are next in line. Its as simple as that.

Like I said, if backing into an unearned win vs. a 4-12 team 4 years ago is the moment you wish to cherish, so be it.

That game, as much as any, was a perfect microcosm of Geno Smith's career as a NY Jet.  

Some bright spots, turnovers for opponent points, in a middling game vs. a bad team where we backed into a win that could just as easily been a loss.

We all better hope Geno has made major strides since then.  We'll see on Sunday.

I'll pull for Geno.

QB accuracy is paramount in the NFL, not running ability. I'd like to see some (a lot) accurate deep balls and receivers hit in stride, giving them a chance for YAC.

id prefer to see those things from Petty, but putting Geno in is the right move this week. 

Also, the fact that Geno, and everyone else, knows this is a make or break scenario , is a good situation to see if he can handle the stress of it all.

I know Geno hasn't been very good, but after watching Fitz lately it was nice to see Geno in the fourth quarter on Monday - a fresh arm, fresh legs, a tall and athletic looking qb - Geno really does look the part. And since he hasn't played in such a long time, I forgot how bad he can be, which all means I'm pretty psyched to watch Geno this coming Sunday!

Just now, Warfish said:

Like I said, if backing into an unearned win vs. a 4-12 team 4 years ago is the moment you wish to cherish, so be it.

That game, as much as any, was a perfect microcosm of Geno Smith's career as a NY Jet.  

Some bright spots, turnovers for opponent points, in a middling game vs. a bad team where we backed into a win that could just as easily been a loss.

We all better hope Geno has made major strides since then.  We'll see on Sunday.

There's two things I'm cherishing today.

1) The fact that the Jets are taking a step closer to truly evaluating their future QB situation.

2) The tears of the over the top Geno haters. Those guys know who they are(and to be clear you are not one of them) , the one's who won't debate the football aspect but just point to Geno's flaws at the personal level.

2 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

It's very easy predicting this Sunday's outcome. Geno only beats the Dolphins... Sadly, the Jets will be 1-6 this weekend...

I didn't realize we had the half season Dolphin schedule in 2013. Did the Pats play the Bills 8 times that year as well .:o

14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

1) The fact that the Jets are taking a step closer to truly evaluating their future QB situation.

2) The tears of the over the top Geno haters. Those guys know who they are(and to be clear you are not one of them) , the one's who won't debate the football aspect but just point to Geno's flaws at the personal level.

Agree 100%, on both ha. Geno is not going to be allowed to suckkk terribly bad for 5 out of 6 games like fitz.. They will pull him a lot sooner if he doesn't show more than fitzgarbage . Wouldn't mind seeing petty for a few games.. might as well release fitz he isn't coming back in, and he is only going to be toxic..

Good call Jets. It makes me angry that this guy gets to play 6 bad football games, and now gets to relax and make 12 million dollars in one year. If you're him how do you not feek like you're stealing money? What an absurd amount of money to do nothing. I'm jealous and bitter that I bust my butt and work hard 5 days a week, and he makes 4 times the amount of money that I'll make in my lifetime to play a few games and do nothing in one year.

27 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

We're starting Petty?  Hack?

No?

Then no, we're not doing that at all.

If you think this move has any chance of a resigned Geno Smith starting at QB in 2017, well....who would I be to be criticial of such a fantasy.  

Enjoy it, it'll help you have more fun than I will on Sunday.

So you're enjoying the misery, the frustrated "tears" of your fellow Jets Fans?  

Interesting.  When we signed Fitz, I liked it because I believed in him, that he was our best chance at a successful 2016 season.  Wrongly, as it turned out.  

At no point did I support his signing because I knew it would anger, frusutrate or displease my fellow fans.

Maybe we all need to think about things like this....who knows.

I strive to keep my criticism of Geno to on-field issues.  That can include issues such as his immaturity/passion on the sidelines last week (depends on what you feel he was expressing).  Or the punch, an on-field event that was avoidable.

But I think his tweets are also fair game.  Comes with being an NFL QB, like it or not.

Fitz would have been benched 2 weeks ago if Petty was healthy. Petty was on the verge of taking the #2 spot, then go hurt, so the front office left the pecking order as-is, figuring it would be the least controversial thing to do. That's why we have 4 QBs. Geno is default #2, because the real #2 got hurt. 

Petty wasn't ready to take over, and the coaching staff never wanted to use Geno. They wanted to go to Petty. You can only put off benching Fitz for so long though, before you lose the locker room, for not making him accountable. 

So obvious that they're using Geno because Petty isn't ready. Otherwise, this switch happens weeks ago. Hell, if they had any faith in Geno at all, then they wouldn't have resigned Fitz after watching Geno practice a couple weeks. 

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Our long topics about which Qb to start is really like asking which nut you want to get stepped on by an elephant.

That's why I don't understand why it's argued about so passionately. How can someone get so worked up over a debate about which QB is marginally crapper than the other?

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Fitz would have been benched 2 weeks ago if Petty was healthy. Petty was on the verge of taking the #2 spot, then go hurt, so the front office left the pecking order as-is, figuring it would be the least controversial thing to do. That's why we have 4 QBs. Geno is default #2, because the real #2 got hurt. 

Petty wasn't ready to take over, and the coaching staff never wanted to use Geno. They wanted to go to Petty. You can only put off benching Fitz for so long though, before you lose the locker room, for not making him accountable. 

So obvious that they're using Geno because Petty isn't ready. Otherwise, this switch happens weeks ago. Hell, if they had any faith in Geno at all, then they wouldn't have resigned Fitz after watching Geno practice a couple weeks. 

All true IMO.

With that said, Geno IS the starting QB of the New York Jets now.

Like him, believe in him, we all should support him.  

His future, his very career, is now in his hands.

As we said about Fitz, it also stands for Geno:  There are NO excuses.  He either succeeds (and we're all happy) or he doesn't (and we go to Petty at some point).

Lets all hope Geno does well.  Despite our doubts.

Archived