Geno Smith to start on Sunday vs the Ravens

Maxman

2 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I am pulling for him to play well.  Just not sure what good that does us besides some instant gratification.  He isnt under contract next year.  Do we pull him while he is playing well to look at Petty? 

unless he can go 9-1 then I think at some point you pull him to give Petty or Hack a couple of games even if Geno is playing well.   

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Tebow, a guy brought in they thought could run the WC who turned out to be useless.  He QB'd no games, threw a couple of passes, contributed nothing to the team as a back up scrub.

But it bothers people because in the 20 or so years Woody has owned the team this is the closest thing to meddling they can come up with.  You're not even sure, Tanny says it was all him.

Let me as you this, you spend $650 mil on a team, $100 per on roster, $3/4 billion on a stadium, $75 mil building a practice facility and you think you shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion?  Shlt, we have no stake in he team other than STHs and we can't STFU

Jet fans paid for a billboard to instruct the owner to fire the team's GM. Their justification: "We pay for tickets and merchandise."

Those same people say Woody, who spent hundreds of millions of dollars to buy the team, should not have a say in how the team is run.

If any of us owned the team, we'd do more than put our two cents in on roster moves, coaching decisions, etc. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. 

9 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

unless he can go 9-1 then I think at some point you pull him to give Petty or Hack a couple of games even if Geno is playing well.   

I cant imaging hack playing with some of our insiders saying he was practicing worse than a HS QB just a little over a month ago.  

I could see Petty getting an extensive look as do or die for the guy next year.  a year and a half in the system, he should step in and do better than avg if he has what it takes. I know that there will be rookie moments(even though he isnt a rookie) but really, he has no excuse.

16 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Jet fans paid for a billboard to instruct the owner to fire the team's GM. Their justification: "We pay for tickets and merchandise."

Those same people say Woody, who spent hundreds of millions of dollars to buy the team, should not have a say in how the team is run.

If any of us owned the team, we'd do more than put our two cents in on roster moves, coaching decisions, etc. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. 

I, for one, don't blame him for putting in his two cents - my issue is that PR seems to be the motive behind those choices.  Making personnel decision based on what the media and fans say is simply the wrong way to run a franchise.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I, for one, don't blame him for putting in he two cents - my issue is that PR seems to be the motive behind those choices.  Making personnel decision based on what the media and fans say is simply the wrong way to run a franchise.

How is starting Geno Smith a PR move?  For the most part, the fanbase hates his guts. Save for a few people on this site, I don't know a single Jet fan who excited about him playing this week. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Reading this thread is bizzare. People are defending Fitz still, calling it a bad move, and "blaming" it on Woody.

Reality:

1. There was no choice but to bench Fitz. His play was so bad this should have happened at least 1 game ago

2. It was Bowles decision. Gruden knew he was thinking about it, benched Fitz mid game, and did not really commit to Fitz in the post game like people are saying

3. If Woody did step in, he should be applauded not lambasted as it was the only correct move and a necessary move

4. Bryce is not ready yet

Woody was on the headset Monday Night and demanded Geno to be put into the game. 

4 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

How is starting Geno Smith a PR move?  For the most part, the fanbase hates his guts. Save for a few people on this site, I don't know a single Jet fan who excited about him playing this week. 

Benching Fitz is the PR move.  My guess is he said get Fitz on the bench and allowed them to decide who to start.

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So do you think Geno is a draw?  Ok, lol.

Woody doesn't meddle, grow up.  You spend a billion dollars on a team and being in the loop is your right.  Who's so lame they don't get this? 

The seasons over.  Why do you give a shlt if making a switch also puts fnasmin the seats? Your thought BTW, not mine.  Why wouldn't anyone want to put a team on the field,that entertains?  Bothers you why?  Find one piece of tape of Geno running up and down the sideline throwing tantrums.  WTF is that

Woody doesnt meddle? Wow, OK. Cool, good to know.

25 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

The only way I would ever put my 2 cents in on roster moves is if I thought I had enough knowledge to do so, which would mean more than the people I have hired to make those decisions, and I am being dead honest. I would absolutely ask them for their rationale, and make sure I understood it, and would use their answers and the results in my future decision making process on how competent they are, but I would not meddle in something I am not qualified to meddle in. That is how you end up with Tim Tebow, or insist the new GM keeps Rex, and end up with John Idzik. Woody is not smart enough to know what he doesn't know, much like fans.

45 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Benching Fitz is the PR move.  My guess is he said get Fitz on the bench and allowed them to decide who to start.

So the PR move is to bench the QB the fans love. The real PR move would have been to bench Fitz and start Hack.

57 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

In no way is it a PR move because it doesnt make sense.  How is this good PR? Benching the fan favorite for a player universally hated?  And benching Fitz is undeserved?  You think they should keep trotting him out there to stink up the field?  To be completely ineffective?

I wouldnt want this kind of PR

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

How is that a PR move?  He was playing poorly.  Sure others are playing poorly as well, but nothing is a bigger wake up call than a QB change. They couldn't stay the course. 

Believe me, I think starting Geno does nothing to help the team in the future.  In a lost season like this one, the remainder of the season should be dedicated towards developing players for the future. Playing Geno is a waste of time.

2 hours ago, Cap'nObvious said:

The only way I would ever put my 2 cents in on roster moves is if I thought I had enough knowledge to do so, which would mean more than the people I have hired to make those decisions, and I am being dead honest.

No you're not.

51 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

No you're not.

I have a large team that works for me, and many of them have skill sets that I don't have. I will never tell anyone on my team how to do their job in an area that is not my skillset. If I felt the need to do that, they would not be working for me. I would feel the exact same way if I owned a sports team. If I felt I needed to tell a GM or a HC how to do his job, that GM or HC would not be working for me. Again, I may ask them to explain their decisions, and use their answers to judge them, but as soon as I am at the point where I need to tell them how to do what they are supposedly best at, they have no use to me.

On 10/19/2016 at 11:38 AM, Maxman said:

Okay but for me, I will be there at the stadium watching the Jets win.

I have missed like 3 home games in 30 years (damn honeymoon and birth of my children) so I don't plan on missing anything now.

A real fan would have done all wedding and family planning around the Jets' season: get married and have children in the spring.

You are not a real fan. 

On 10/19/2016 at 11:31 AM, BallinPB said:

No Bowles was not going into the season with 2 backup QBs with no NFL experience.

But that's perfectly ok for the Broncos, with a better "win-now" roster than the Jets possessed. Obviously.

As March, 2016 proceeded:

• both teams were without their 2015 starters
  • both teams had their 2015 draft pick QBs on the roster (Jets' pick from top of round 4, Broncos' pick from bottom of round 7)
  • both teams were looking to draft a QB in April (Jets' first selection was #20, Broncos' first selection was #31)

As of the start of 2016 minicamp, Bryce Petty alone had as much NFL experience as Siemian and Lynch combined.

30 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

I have a large team that works for me, and many of them have skill sets that I don't have. I will never tell anyone on my team how to do their job in an area that is not my skillset. If I felt the need to do that, they would not be working for me. I would feel the exact same way if I owned a sports team. If I felt I needed to tell a GM or a HC how to do his job, that GM or HC would not be working for me. Again, I may ask them to explain their decisions, and use their answers to judge them, but as soon as I am at the point where I need to tell them how to do what they are supposedly best at, they have no use to me.

Managing an A&P store is not the same as owning a billion dollar sports franchise. 

Again, you're lying. If you owned this team, you'd be influencing coaching and personnel decisions. Especially in times like this, where the team is struggling.

And I'm not singling you out. Any of us would do it. Myself included.

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Managing an A&P store is not the same as owning a billion dollar sports franchise. 

Again, you're lying. If you owned this team, you'd be influencing coaching and personnel decisions. Especially in times like this, where the team is struggling.

And I'm not singling you out. Any of us would do it. Myself included.

With all due respect, you have no idea what I manage or the size of it. You can tell me I am lying all you want, the reality is I fundamentally disagree. If I did not trust my HC enough to let him make the decision, he would not be my HC, case closed. If you would do it, that is cool, it would be your right, just like its Woody's right, I just think it makes him a really crappy owner. Motivations matter in business, and in life. When you make your decisions for the wrong motivations, there are ramifications. Woody cannot possibly make a football decision based on the best interest of the football operations, he is not capable of it, he does not have that skill set. Any football decisions he will make are based on PR, and those are the wrong motivations. Very good business people understand their limitations, and they surround themselves with people who compliment there own skills, and then respect them for what they bring to the table.  But they are good enough to understand when someone is competent or not competent. Woody is a crap owner, because his determining factor of competence is for the wrong reasons, which is why he loved Rex and kept him for 2 years too long.

4 hours ago, Cap'nObvious said:

Stated perfectly.  As the CPA for many well run organizations.... I applaud what you wrote.

On 10/21/2016 at 7:42 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

But that's perfectly ok for the Broncos, with a better "win-now" roster than the Jets possessed. Obviously.

• both teams had their 2015 draft pick QBs on the roster (Jets' pick from top of round 4, Broncos' pick from bottom of round 7)
  • both teams were looking to draft a QB in April (Jets' first selection was #20, Broncos' first selection was #31)

As of the start of 2016 minicamp, Bryce Petty alone had as much NFL experience as Siemian and Lynch combined.

Broncos have a pretty tight management/coaching group. Owner doesn't get too involved in football decisions. Makes a big difference.

On October 20, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

I still think cutting Sanchez was a mistake.  If Siemian goes down again their season is over

Archived