Geno Smith to start on Sunday vs the Ravens

Maxman

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's the right move. Shows you what a couple of weeks can do. One week you're AFC Offensive Player of the Week and a few weeks later you're dog meat. But it's his own fault.  Although on the sideline Geno didn't seem to be rooting for the Jets (and no spin can make this any good) I'll be rooting for him to play well. And maybe it will put a spark in the team. I don't think it will because I don't believe his teammates respect him and he didn't look good Monday night. But let's root for the guy to prove us wrong so stop it with the negative film clips of him playing badly. He doesn't deserve it even if his fans on this board do. Because they did everything they could to ridicule Fitz even when he played well. 

12 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Then he needed to emphasize that point to make sure that the media would not cut his quote and try to squeeze it.

That's how the media gets their ratings , by creating stories and drumming up drama. Face it with social media today , no one needs the media, they're trolling fighting for stories for their own existence. Bowles could have said we don't know who our starter is at this point and some media members would interpert that as Fitz is the starter. 

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

That's how the media gets their ratings , by creating stories and drumming up drama. Face it with social media today , no one needs the media, they're trolling fighting for stories for their own existence. Bowles could have said we don't know who our starter is at this point and some media members would interpert that as Fitz is the starter. 

That's fine and New York is the biggest media market in the world. So maybe if the Jets were to move to a smaller market where there was no need to feel insecure, they might do better.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

10 wins gets you to the postseason 86 % of the time.  At least with Fitz and this team playing at its best, we had a shot.

10-6 >>>> a fluky 8-win season where we were outscored by 97 points. 

Geno is a 5-win QB, the type that will win meaningless Week 16 and 17 games to cost us a top pick.

I prefer we continue to suck under Geno and turn to Petty, when he's ready, then either end up with a top pick OR find out Petty is legit.

I wanted to post a picture of the dude from Anchorman giving his 60% of the time it works every time but you get the picture. 

Well thats just a piss poor way to look at things.  Either way, you're still just parroting my entire rationale just with a negative spin now that the conquering hero has failed. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yes.  I read the forums.  The fans hate Geno.  The term "Geno-lovers" were created by the mass majority and that mass majority, hates him.  And very few people are actual "fans" of Geno.  They just didnt want to waste their time with Fitz.

I just do not like watching my QB throw like some guy on a sandlot.  Whenever I see Fitz throw I see the guy who got to play QB because it was his ball.

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think it's the right move. Shows you what a couple of weeks can do. One week you're AFC Offensive Player of the Week and a few weeks later you're dog meat. But it's his own fault.  Although on the sideline Geno didn't seem to be rooting for the Jets (and no spin can make this any good) I'll be rooting for him to play well. And maybe it will put a spark in the team. I don't think it will because I don't believe his teammates respect him and he didn't look good Monday night. But let's root for the guy to prove us wrong so stop it with the negative film clips of him playing badly. He doesn't deserve it even if his fans on this board do. Because they did everything they could to ridicule Fitz even when he played well. 

If that's truly the case then heads need to roll. I don't care if his teammates despise him , if he's out there in the huddle they better be giving their all each and every play because that's their job. If guys like Marshall want to pout and slack off because Fitz isn't the starter then he should be on the first bus out of town.

I believe most players know this is a business and they're going to do what they have to in order to maintain their big hefty paychecks.

I don't care if the tooth fairy told Todd Bowles to bench Fitzpatrick--it was a decision that had to be made. Only a total idiot would put him back on the field with the way he's been playing.

As for Geno, I have no problem with giving him several weeks to finally prove that he sucks. I'll put up with anything to get him and Fitzpatrick permanently out of the picture.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

I wanted to post a picture of the dude from Anchorman giving his 60% of the time it works every time but you get the picture. 

Well thats just a piss poor way to look at things.  Either way, you're still just parroting my entire rationale just with a negative spin now that the conquering hero has failed. 

If starting Fitz no longer makes sense so we can see the young guys, Geno doesn't make any sense either.  The quicker we get to Petty/Hack, the better.  So while it'd be nice if Geno turns into a franchise guy magically, I'm not holding my breath.  And if he isn't going to be on the roster next year, I'd prefer he sucked especially hard, rather than just be "meh" or even "OK", so we can get to the young guys quicker. 

Call it "piss poor", but I'm no worse than the people who hoped Fitz would suck.  At 1-5 and in range for a top draft pick, It's for the betterment of the franchise that we move on from both as quickly as possible, and see what we have in the young guys so we can evaluate if we need to take another QB in '17.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

...and I'll be pulling a @Villain The Foe rendition saying "Fitzpatrick didn't get a fair chance with the weapons Geno has!"

Thank God I am about to board my flight to Hong Kong and get away from this LOL.  Speak to you tomorrow my friend.  Go Jets, Go Geno.

SAR I

Enjoy Hong Kong brother. Trust that when you get back we'll be on the same topic!

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If starting Fitz no longer makes sense so we can see the young guys, Geno doesn't make any sense either.  The quicker we get to Petty/Hack, the better.  So while it'd be nice if Geno turns into a franchise guy magically, I'm not holding my breath.  And if he isn't going to be on the roster next year, I'd prefer he sucked especially hard, rather than just be "meh" or even "OK", so we can get to the young guys quicker.  Call it "piss poor", but I'm no worse than the people who hoped Fitz would suck.  It's for the betterment of the franchise that we move on from both as quickly as possible.

geno makes sense in that it gives petty time to practice.  he has only practiced 5 days after being off a month.  give him a couple of weeks and then make the change to petty

The bottom line is the last two days are the first time that I have realized that the Jets are not going anywhere in the near future in the state they are in presently. Not with a thin skinned owner who is insecure because he is second banana in town. Not with a fanbase that is impatient to the max and never gives anybody a chance. And not with a media corps that is more desperate for clicks and headlines than news in the largest media market in the world.

So there are several  options to fix this:

1. The owner needs to get out of the way or sell the team

2. The media and fanbase need to calm down and grow some patience.

3. They need to get extremely lucky in finding a QB that can raise the team up.

4. They need to move away from the market.

Out of all of these and knowing human characteristics, the most realistic option is 3, then 4. Long shots all. 

8 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If that's truly the case then heads need to roll. I don't care if his teammates despise him , if he's out there in the huddle they better be giving their all each and every play because that's their job. If guys like Marshall want to pout and slack off because Fitz isn't the starter then he should be on the first bus out of town.

I believe most players know this is a business and they're going to do what they have to in order to maintain their big hefty paychecks.

I didn't say that. I think they'll try but imo he doesn't have the leadership ability to get them out of this funk.  I  don't believe he will give them the spark. He made a few nice passes on Monday night but then went back to business as usual. In a short period of time he turned the ball over twice (one recovery). But in those situations (like with Fitz the past several weeks) when you have to make a play and the defense pretty much knows what you are going to do the percentage of turning the ball over is much much higher. And you have to take those chances. This is one of the key reasons for Fitz's high turnover numbers. He also didn't play well and made terrible choices. So benching him is the right thing to do. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

If starting Fitz no longer makes sense so we can see the young guys, Geno doesn't make any sense either.  The quicker we get to Petty/Hack, the better.  So while it'd be nice if Geno turns into a franchise guy magically, I'm not holding my breath.  And if he isn't going to be on the roster next year, I'd prefer he sucked so we can get to the young guys quicker.  Call it "piss poor", but I'm no worse than the people who hoped Fitz would suck.  It's for the betterment of the franchise that we move on from both as quickly as possible.

See that's the thing. There may have been a few outliers but I don't recall anyone rooting for Fitz to suck the way fans have with Geno. Most detractors think Fitz sucks and were afraid of him regressing to what his 12 year history pointed out was likely, but Jet fans weren't saying I hope Fitz sucks so the Jets can lose.

On the flipside I've already seen countless Jets fans who said they won't watch or go the game because Geno is the QB and hope he fails miserably just  so Petty or Hack can start.  

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The bottom line is the last two days are the first time that I have realized that the Jets are not going anywhere in the near future in the state they are in presently. Not with a thin skinned owner who is insecure because he is second banana in town. Not with a fanbase that is impatient to the max and never gives anybody a chance. And not with a media corps that is more desperate for clicks and headlines than news in the largest media market in the world.

Out of all of these and knowing human characteristics, the most realistic option is 3, then 4. Long shots all. 

I actually wholeheartedly agree with your options to fix it, and they are the only options. Unfortunately, I realized this a long time ago. So I have not even had the benefit of delusion of thinking we could ever really win with Woody as the owner.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

These things have no bearing on what the Jets as a football team do on and off the field.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

These things have no bearing on what the Jets as a football team do on and off the field.

Yes they do. Because of the first point I mentioned. A thin skinned owner who has no conviction about football ideas.

He goes with the current. When the first sign of trouble pops up, he panics and changes direction, usually with the fanbase and media in his hear. That's why Fitz was signed for 12m.

Because he wants to be on the good side of his fanbase so that they keep coming to his games and putting money in his pockets. So when the fanbase swerves, he goes with them. Both parties are at fault

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Geno Smith is back starting for the Jets and Tim Tebow is like 0-7k in the Mets' minor league system. The Knicks are propping up a guy that's about to be found guilty of gang rape and Rutgers is having one of the most embarrassing seasons in college football history. 2016 is a cruel mistress.

Also to add, it's the 10-year anniversary today of Beltran going down looking. SO TODAY IS GOING JUST GREAT

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Yes they do. Because of the first point I mentioned. A thin skinned owner who has no conviction about football ideas.

He goes with the current. When the first sign of trouble pops up, he panics and changes direction, usually with the fanbase and media in his hear. That's why Fitz was signed for 12m.

Another team may suit you..

3 hours ago, MaxAF said:

I think that may have been another reason Bowles stayed with Fitz so long. The team wanted him in there. 

I think so. I also think that Bowles also took a liking to Fitz. People should give him more credit in that regard. I think alot of the "people not liking Geno" isn't really that, but more of people really liking Fitz. 

If the coaching staff really disliked Geno they would have cut him. They had the entire off-season/preseason to do so. I think Fitz is a locker room guy, that's all. Dude got praise from the bills locker room to the Texans locker room. He seems like a down to earth guy that can also talk about binary code while doing your taxes over a cheap beer straight from the tap while not taking himself too seriously because of his educational background. Not everyday you can come across a guy that looks like he should be on an episode of Vikings and build a rocket at the same damn time.

Fitz is a likable guy, he's just a sh*tty quarterback that people want to see overachieve because he's so damn cool. 

He's a "man's man" if you will. With that said, I'm glad bowles made the right call. He didn't pull him too early like after the chiefs game. Bowles made sure that he gave Fitz every opportunity to rebound. That decision shows the level of respect Fitz has here. 

I clown the dude on his game, but there's no denying that he has a personality that gravitates. 

Geno can combat all of that by simply winning games. If not, put Petty in. 

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

more and more I'm thinking this is rayray19

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

I remember a time, it Opening Day, Sep 11th, a fired up crowd and Fitz drove his team down the field and threw a TD pass in the 1st drive. That seems like such a long time ago........

The wheels have come off, players have been mailing it in for a while, and it's only week 6.

Archived