Geno Smith to start on Sunday vs the Ravens

Maxman

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

All true IMO.

With that said, Geno IS the starting QB of the New York Jets now.

Like him, believe in him, we all should support him.  

His future, his very career, is now in his hands.

As we said about Fitz, it also stands for Geno:  There are NO excuses.  He either succeeds (and we're all happy) or he doesn't (and we go to Petty at some point).

Lets all hope Geno does well.  Despite our doubts.

I liked Fitz, supported Fitz, cheered Fitz, and criticized Fitz the same way I have and always will any Jet (within reason). I hope he can turn sh*t around, but like Villain "I already know", so my commentary is likely to be shrouded in skepticism. However, I'm not going to throw a parade if he fails. If he fails, he fails. Next man up.

Silver lining of him failing is better draft position. I'd rather he shows well, becomes a valuable asset and nets us a comp pick by signing elsewhere in FA. Or, we trade him this year after a couple of games of showcasing, for a pick. The latter is much more savvy than rooting for a tanked season.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Fitz would have been benched 2 weeks ago if Petty was healthy. Petty was on the verge of taking the #2 spot, then go hurt, so the front office left the pecking order as-is, figuring it would be the least controversial thing to do. That's why we have 4 QBs. Geno is default #2, because the real #2 got hurt. 

Petty wasn't ready to take over, and the coaching staff never wanted to use Geno. They wanted to go to Petty. You can only put off benching Fitz for so long though, before you lose the locker room, for not making him accountable. 

So obvious that they're using Geno because Petty isn't ready. Otherwise, this switch happens weeks ago. Hell, if they had any faith in Geno at all, then they wouldn't have resigned Fitz after watching Geno practice a couple weeks. 

Your opinion, nothing more.  At this point it doesn't really matter; Geno is auditioning for his next team and hopefully some of our young receivers can play well with him furthering their development.    Barring something miraculous, Petty will get his shot in few weeks and I know all Jet fans will be rooting for him to do well. 

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Fitz would have been benched 2 weeks ago if Petty was healthy. Petty was on the verge of taking the #2 spot, then go hurt, so the front office left the pecking order as-is, figuring it would be the least controversial thing to do. That's why we have 4 QBs. Geno is default #2, because the real #2 got hurt. 

Petty wasn't ready to take over, and the coaching staff never wanted to use Geno. They wanted to go to Petty. You can only put off benching Fitz for so long though, before you lose the locker room, for not making him accountable. 

So obvious that they're using Geno because Petty isn't ready. Otherwise, this switch happens weeks ago. Hell, if they had any faith in Geno at all, then they wouldn't have resigned Fitz after watching Geno practice a couple weeks. 

This is the funniest bs I have read all week thanks man ??

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Any geno guys want to start the game thread ?  Pitch geno, best pitch wins

3 hours ago, Cap'nObvious said:

I'll put my hat in the ring:

Let the Geno era begin, the future is now, the future is Geno Smith, Jets Ravens, its go time!

any other takers ?  I'll give it some more time just to be fair

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I never heard that. I heard him say he's our starter but we will evaluate when the coaches meet Tue.

4 hours ago, slats said:

The idea that the owner is behind sitting Fitzpatrick in favor of the least popular player on the team is patently absurd. If Woody has exerted any influence on the QB situation at all, it's far more likely that he was behind keeping the $12M player in despite his poor performances. 

The coach's first instinct was to defend his QB. That's all that was. After a day of reflection and meeting with his staff, he made the overdue move. 

4 hours ago, JiF said:

I dont recall this unequivocal support.  He seemed on the fence about it every step of the way outside of one comment made at a presser after the game.

And I dont see a scenario where Woody is happy that this is taking place.  He has 12 mil sitting on the bench and the Jets are 1-5 and completely non-competitive.  None of the QB's drafted by this regime are field ready.  Starting Geno in a contract year with a very outside possibility of doing enough to consider being resigned is not ideal.  It egg in the entire Jets organizations face that they let Ryan Fitzpatrick hold them hostage for an entire offseason expecting him to be the savior.

If this is Woody's work, then he deserves a hand shake and Todd Bowles deserves a swift kick in the dick.  This is 100%, no questions asked the right move for this team. There really isnt a debate.  

Woody Johnson made $12 mil in the time it took you dudes to write these posts. He's obsesssd with the brand and the attendance, and Bowles plus Fitzpatrick has wrecked both by being 1. Bad and--even worse--2. Boring. The number one story in New York sports right now is ODB trying to **** a kicking net. The number two story is that Derrick Rose is a rapist. Woody doesn't know a ******* thing about football. All he knows about is revenues and prestige, and his team is en route to bottoming out in both arenas.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Woody Johnson made $12 mil in the time it took you dudes to write these posts. He's obsesssd with the brand and the attendance, and Bowles + Fitzpatrick has wrecked it by being 1. Bad and--even worse--2. Boring. The number one story in New York sports right now is ODB trying to **** a kicking net. The number two story is that Derrick Rose is a rapist. Woody doesn't know a ******* thing about football. All he knows about is revenues and prestige, and his team is en route to. bottoming out in both arenas.

And Geno Smith is the answer to restore your prestigious image?  

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Not the point.  It's about being happy.

There's always the classics...

Better. Listen, I'll take all the crow in the world because I was wrong on Fitz (when in reality all I ever wanted was for them to be competitive after 4 years of garbage) but there's no need to subject the board to Happy. That's basically terrorism. 

And enjoy your roost now, eventually your guy is going to fail too. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Their actions would say the opposite.  Wasnt Geno was the back up in game 3 of the preseason, not Petty? And they played Petty in game 4, not Geno?

I do agree though, right now with the season at this stage...if Petty was healthy they might skip Geno and go to him.  I doubt it but they might.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

We're starting Petty?  Hack?

No?

Then no, we're not doing that at all.

If you think this move has any chance of a resigned Geno Smith starting at QB in 2017, well....who would I be to be criticial of such a fantasy.  

Enjoy it, it'll help you have more fun than I will on Sunday.

So you're enjoying the misery, the frustrated "tears" of your fellow Jets Fans?  

Interesting.  When we signed Fitz, I liked it because I believed in him, that he was our best chance at a successful 2016 season.  Wrongly, as it turned out.  

At no point did I support his signing because I knew it would anger, frusutrate or displease my fellow fans.

Maybe we all need to think about things like this....who knows.

I strive to keep my criticism of Geno to on-field issues.  That can include issues such as his immaturity/passion on the sidelines last week (depends on what you feel he was expressing).  Or the punch, an on-field event that was avoidable.

But I think his tweets are also fair game.  Comes with being an NFL QB, like it or not.

Not yet, but the 12M roadblock has been cleared , Geno will get his games and unless he performs like a top echelon QB Petty and/or Hack will get some games. With Fitz still starting that may never happen this season .

Absolutely, enjoying the tears and butt hurt of the true Geno haters, the "fans' who will not watch or go to games because Geno is QB. The fans who's only retort is But Geno Sucks or he'll never be anything but suck. There's a difference between not liking a guy because of his on field performance as opposed to hating a guy for being pissed at not being drafted day1 , or getting his jaw busted by a psychcopath fringe special teamer. . 

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Better. Listen, I'll take all the crow in the world because I was wrong on Fitz (when in reality all I ever wanted was for them to be competitive after 4 years of garbage) but there's no need to subject the board to Happy. That's basically terrorism. 

Carl its ok you made a mistake it happens to the best of us. 

Sadly you have decided to root against the current Jets QB thats pathetic Carl I expected more from you. 

Dont you hope he leads us better than the last bum. 

Carl time heals and on Sunday when the Jets finally score in the red zone throw a completed pass over 25 yards and win the game you will be happy. 

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

And Geno Smith is the answer to restore your prestigious image?  

Here's how that conversation went:

Todd Bowles: ...

Mike Maccagnan: Shut up, Todd.

Woody: My great-great grandfather didn't invent the Q-Tip so I could exploit tax loopholes to buy an NFL team that stinks and can't get any hoops!

Maccagnan: Well, Mr. Johnson, we're looking at ways to...

Woody: Why aren't we playing Hack Prescott? I heard good things. 

Maccagnan: Shut up Todd. 

Woody: That was a good drafting opportunity selection, that Hack Prescott. Christie was raving about him.

Maccagnan: Woody, about that...

Bowles: ...

Woody: Quiet yourself, Todd. Is that him, Mike? The colored fella wearing #7?

Maccagnan: Uh. Sure. Yes.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

We're starting Petty?  Hack?

No?

Then no, we're not doing that at all.

I think you're wrong here.  The Jets were always going to have to move from Fitz to Geno before they got Petty some run, since passing over Geno would have been a locker room disaster waiting to happen.  Making the move now makes it more likely that Petty sees real game action later in the season unless something magical happens and Geno turns the season around (spoiler: he won't).  I'd expect Petty to get the last 5 games of the year - give him a "get your feet wet" start after the bye against a team nobody expects him to beat (NE), then 3 games against poor defenses (Mia, Ind, SF) before a repeat, "show me what you learned" game against NE in week 17 (by which time NE will already have home field throughout)

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Carl its ok you made a mistake it happens to the best of us. 

Sadly you have decided to root against the current Jets QB thats pathetic Carl I expected more from you. 

Dont you hope he leads us better than the last bum. 

Carl time heals and on Sunday when the Jets finally score in the red zone throw a completed pass over 25 yards and win the game you will be happy. 

I'm not rooting against him at all. I just know better than to get my hopes up. He's terrible and will continue to be that. If anything, everyone should be rooting for losses. The season is over. It's time to get a good draft pick to piss away. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm not rooting against him at all. I just know better than to get my hopes up. He's terrible and will continue to be that. If anything, everyone should be rooting for losses. The season is over. It's time to get a good draft pick to piss away. 

The season is far from over Carl 10-6 or 9-7 maybe even 8-8 can get us in the playoffs Carl have some faith. 

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Here's how that conversation went:

Mike Maccagnan: Shut up, Todd.

Woody: My great-great grandfather didn't invent the Q-Tip so I could exploit tax loopholes to buy an NFL team that stinks and can't get any hoops!

Maccagnan: Well, Mr. Johnson, we're looking at ways to...

Woody: Why aren't we playing Hack Prescott? I heard good things. 

Maccagnan: Shut up Todd. 

Woody: That was a good drafting opportunity selection, that Hack Prescott. Christie was raving about him.

Maccagnan: Woody, about that...

Bowles: ...

Woody: Quiet yourself, Todd. Is that him, Mike? The colored fella wearing #7?

Maccagnan: Uh. Sure. Yes.

Woody:  Fantastic.  Lets play him to restore the prestigious image of my team ruined by Ryan Fitzpatrick and the mute in the corner. 

22 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Definitely am enjoying it.  Remember though, it's not so much about Geno as it is about moving on from the dead end that is Fitz.

Though I am excited to see Geno too.

You know who else is excited?  John and Olivia.  40 years ago, they weren't singing about each other, they were singing about Geno.

Geno is the one that they want.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Woody:  Fantastic.  Lets play him to restore my the prestigious image of my team ruined by Ryan Fitzpatrick and the mute in the corner. 

To be real, Woody demanded change and literally the only change they could make was to go to Geno. Bonus points because if and when Geno sucks, they remind Woody he was Idzik's pick.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

To be real, Woody demanded change and literally the only change they could make was to go to Geno. Bonus points because if and when Geno sucks, they remind Woody he was Idzik's pick.

Maybe I'm giving to Bowles to much credit but I really dont think this is Woody's work.  

This wasnt a tough decision.  Fitz was playing some of the worst Football I've ever seen.  There really isnt much choice and this 100% the right move.  If it took Woody to get him to make the move, well, not sure what else you need to know about Todd Bowles. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Maybe I'm giving to Bowles to much credit but I really dont think this is Woody's work.  

This wasnt a tough decision.  Fitz was playing some of the worst Football I've ever seen.  There really isnt much choice and this 100% the right move.  If it took Woody to get him to make the move, well, not sure what else you need to know about Todd Bowles. 

I will in fact assert that you're giving Bowles too much credit.

I'm willing to throw my reputation on the line for Geno. I scouted him intensely when I wrote for FoxSports and the last 4 games of 2014 he began to show growth.

Young QB's are products of their surroundings. Derek Carr was blessed with Jack Del Rio, an energized Crabtree and Amari Cooper. Geno Smith was given:

- Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates as starting WR's year 1. A banged up Eric Decker and washed up Percy Harvin year 2.

- A mediocre offensive line.

- A banged up Ivory and a young Powell

- Cumberland as his starting TE.

- Sparano and Morningwheg as his OC's

- A ground and pound philosophy that stunted his growth

-------------------

I'm not calling him the next Tom Brady, but I believe holding a clipboard for a year and being humbled will mature him. Adding to that, our young receivers fit Geno's game. Especially Robbie Anderson.

Don't throw tomatoes at the kid until we see him Sunday. And be patient. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I will in fact assert that you're giving Bowles too much credit.

If that's the case, then why are we upset that Woody intervened?  Because he's a meddling owner?  I guess I understand that but we already knew that and in this particular case I'm glad he did. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

If that's the case, then why are we upset that Woody intervened?  Because he's a meddling owner?  I guess I understand that but we already knew that and in this particular case I'm glad he did. 

Because literally everything Woody touches gets prison-raped in the Electoral College.

8 hours ago, Matt39 said:

This is as embarrassing as it gets as a fan. Just plain embarrassing. Coach defends QB after loss then gets undercut by moron owner because he's afraid fans will boo on Sunday. What a ******* joke of a franchise.

So I guess you're ok with Fitz leading the offense to another 3 points on Sunday. What's so bad about giving Geno a shot? Maybe, just maybe, the team will perform better than it has during the last 4 weeks of garbage football that we have been subjected to. I support this QB change.

1 minute ago, Mecca said:

I'm willing to throw my reputation on the line for Geno. I scouted him intensely when I wrote for FoxSports and the last 4 games of 2014 he began to show growth.

Young QB's are products of their surroundings. Derek Carr was blessed with Jack Del Rio, an energized Crabtree and Amari Cooper. Geno Smith was given:

- Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates as starting WR's year 1. A banged up Eric Decker and washed up Percy Harvin year 2.

- A mediocre offensive line.

- A banged up Ivory and a young Powell

- Cumberland as his starting TE.

- Sparano and Morningwheg as his OC's

- A ground and pound philosophy that stunted his growth

-------------------

I'm not calling him the next Tom Brady, but I believe holding a clipboard for a year and being humbled will mature him. Adding to that, our young receivers fit Geno's game. Especially Robbie Anderson.

Don't throw tomatoes at the kid until we see him Sunday. And be patient. 

Oh brother not again. I take it they fired you coming up with such feeble overwrought arguments and ridiculous claims of Del Rio being a blessing to Carr is just hilarious. 

8 hours ago, Skeptable said:

He's right not for starting Geno but for Woody Johnson undercutting the coaching staff. Its embarrassing

You do not know that...none of us do.  Bowles said he was thinking about it on his presser Monday but wouldn't make any changes till he spoke to coaches and FO.  According to him he made the decision and wanted to speak to his coaches ...listen to his presser today... and stop speculating.

Archived