Defense looked noticably faster today

jetscrazey

Especially in the 2nd half, guys were flying around a lot more than I've gotten used to.  Keep playing the young, fast linebackers.  With this d-line occupying all the blockers maybe that's all we need.  Also it's good to see Sheldon playing more true d-line again, he was unleashed today.  Secondary still sucks and they give up a lot of cheap underneath crosses, but it's a start.  The wind really helped throw off Flacco's downfield game.

And while we're at it, I wonder if they've given consideration to just making Pryor a full-time LB.  The league is changing...

9 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think going back to mainly playing 3-4 helped a lot.  4 LBs w/o, Richardson as one of them, is the way this team is meant to be played.  At least Bowles seems to have lurched back into the right course.    

Only because MO was hurt

the defense looked faster because they probably simplified things for them both at LB and in the secondary. We had TWO safeties back more this game than any other game and the less players have to think out there and just use their instincts the faster they will play. This should have been done after game 3 and is another huge reason why Todd Bowles is not a very good HC

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think going back to mainly playing 3-4 helped a lot.  4 LBs w/o, Richardson as one of them, is the way this team is meant to be played.  At least Bowles seems to have lurched back into the right course.    

Agreed. I mentioned the 3-4 in an earlier post last week hoping they would get back to it. Finally got some turnovers as well but the secondary continues to get torched. 

Flacco was awful in the second half.  Our D got opportunities and took them.  Skrine jumped a route.  Good. He finally did something.  The other INT was a Flacco balloon that was overthrown.  Our D Line got after the QB.  The win is credited to the D.  They finally played decent. Int hte first half the secondary looked like swiss cheese, though.  We beat a bad team.

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

the defense looked faster because they probably simplified things for them both at LB and in the secondary. We had TWO safeties back more this game than any other game and the less players have to think out there and just use their instincts the faster they will play. This should have been done after game 3 and is another huge reason why Todd Bowles is not a very good HC

Didn't look like they played any differently on defense or offense.

They sure went back to an attacking, blitzing 3-4 though. 

6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

As you guys have pointed out, we play so much better 3-4.  Not a coincidence that 2 of our better defensive efforts came when either Wilkerson (yesterday) or Richardson (Cincinnati) were out.

Tired of hearing about "needing to get our best players out there".

Rotate those "best players" so that they'll be fresh late in games

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Just felt like they were playing with more energy.  

this more than anything.  i think when the offense started scoring it energized the defense.  i got the feeling the past month the defense lost faith in the offense and that led to some of the breakdowns.  

7 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Good point....happened when Richardson was out too.................wake the f*ck up Bowles!!!

He has a team built to run a 3-4.   So run it.  You have 3 good Defensive ends?  Rotate them then.  Keep them all fresh, why you keep playing 4-3, or 3-4 with a 300 pound linebacker is stunning.  WTF is wrong with Bowles?

Archived