Cutlers an enigma

Jetster

54 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Cutler is this generation's Jeff George.  All arm and no football smarts or heart.

He has lots of heart, he's one of the toughest QB's out there for still standing in there and taking shots to make plays.  I'd have him high on my list if the jets are going after a vet again next year.  People get too caught up in the 'he's an a$$hole' bit.  who cares.  He's got perhaps the best arm in the game a reasonably compact delivery and will stand in to make plays.  I don;t think he is the type of guy our front office or coaching staff would go after but I'd rather have him than a lot of other guys we may end up with.

11 hours ago, RoadFan said:

This is an interesting fact.  I did not know that .  Perhaps, this is an explanation.  Nevertheless, it doesn't change the bottom line. Nobody that has ever worked with him, coach or player, has ever fought to keep working with him.  Not a characteristic anyone should want in a QB.

It's a tough call, but if I were Mac, I would pass on this guy. His diabetes definitely is part of the explanation, however, in reality, he could be a total d*ck as most of his team mates and coaches have said he is, of course, I do not know Cutler personally.

Funny thing is I bet Fitzpatrick would make a great next door neighbor.  Cutler I would not bet that on, although I am not saying he'd be a bad one.  The point being Fitz has a great personality for the locker room and tv interviews, but how much does that mean if the team doesn't win with him?

Cutler has had a problematic career, to be sure.  But for some crazy reason I can see him fitting in in NYC.  Some people are a bad match for this market.  Cutler comes across like a sometimes mean New Yorker, which could work in this town. 

The main point is I have a hard time seeing the FO confident about heading into the 17 season with only Petty and Hackenberg at Qb.  The logical fit for them is a vet Qb, and might as well get one with talent.  I don't get the hate for Cutler around here.  It's mostly atmospherics, and I don't think much of them.

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He has lots of heart, he's one of the toughest QB's out there for still standing in there and taking shots to make plays.  I'd have him high on my list if the jets are going after a vet again next year.  People get too caught up in the 'he's an a$$hole' bit.  who cares.  He's got perhaps the best arm in the game a reasonably compact delivery and will stand in to make plays.  I don;t think he is the type of guy our front office or coaching staff would go after but I'd rather have him than a lot of other guys we may end up with.

Yeah, that's pretty much the way I feel. 

Of course as in any trade whether it makes sense depends on what you have to give up compared to what you get.  I bet Chicago gets a pretty price for him, despite the negative views here on him which again are too much caught up in "he's a cakehole!"  As if the Jets have none of them on the team right now.

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

He's not my boy; I don't want him on the team.  That said, I don't want him scapegoated like all the Jets quarterbacks before him either.

How is the Seattle defense?  How is the Pittsburgh defense?

vs. Seattle 23 of 41 for 261 YDS 1 TD

vs. Pittsburgh 25 of 38 for 255 YDS 1 TD

Anyone fawning over Jay Cutler tonight should be more appreciative of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

I dont see the comparison between Fitz and Cutler.  Opposite ends of the spectrum regardless of stats.  One has a rocket for an arm one has to put everything into a throw.  One has his teammates and coaches on his side the other is aloof and his teammates/coaches dont seem to like him.  I dont know what cutler needs at this stage of his career and dont know that he even cares about football(or ever did).  I do think Fitz cares about football even though he has stated he is a dad first, as it should be.

12 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Cutler is not an enigma.  He is a distant, arrogant, heavily flawed player.  He has been chased out of Denver, he is getting chased out of Chicago.  His coaches don't like him.  His teammates don't seem to either.  He is not a leader.  He is just an arm with a poor attitude.

The Cutler obsession of some fans is what I find to be the enigma.  His puzzle is already solved and complete as far as I am concerned.

He would get totally crushed in NY. That PUSS on his face after a loss....

38 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I dont see the comparison between Fitz and Cutler.  Opposite ends of the spectrum regardless of stats.  One has a rocket for an arm one has to put everything into a throw.  One has his teammates and coaches on his side the other is aloof and his teammates/coaches dont seem to like him.  I dont know what cutler needs at this stage of his career and dont know that he even cares about football(or ever did).  I do think Fitz cares about football even though he has stated he is a dad first, as it should be.

I wasn't really commenting on either player, just noticing the irony in fans fawning all over Cutler while watching a game where he did nothing more or less than Fitzpatrick did on Sunday.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

I wasn't really commenting on either player, just noticing the irony in fans fawning all over Cutler while watching a game where he did nothing more or less than Fitzpatrick did on Sunday.

SAR I

Cutler beat a good team Monday night Fitzpatrick barely beat the worst team in the NFL on Sunday 

Cutler threw the long ball Fitzpatrick has no long ball 

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

Funny thing is I bet Fitzpatrick would make a great next door neighbor.  Cutler I would not bet that on, although I am not saying he'd be a bad one.  The point being Fitz has a great personality for the locker room and tv interviews, but how much does that mean if the team doesn't win with him?

Cutler has had a problematic career, to be sure.  But for some crazy reason I can see him fitting in in NYC.  Some people are a bad match for this market.  Cutler comes across like a sometimes mean New Yorker, which could work in this town. 

The main point is I have a hard time seeing the FO confident about heading into the 17 season with only Petty and Hackenberg at Qb.  The logical fit for them is a vet Qb, and might as well get one with talent.  I don't get the hate for Cutler around here.  It's mostly atmospherics, and I don't think much of them.

It has nothing to do with "the hate around here."  His coaches and teammates don't like him everywhere he has been.  The "hate" is from where it matters the most.

Why is that such a difficult concept to grasp?

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Cutler beat a good team Monday night Fitzpatrick barely beat the worst team in the NFL on Sunday 

Cutler threw the long ball Fitzpatrick has no long ball 

Cutler beat a good team that took the night off and did it at home.  He also had a RB with over 200 yards rushing and receiving.

Fitzpatrick beat a bad team that was beating the pants of us and turned it around on the road with average RB play.

I'd say it was an equal situation at worst, one can argue that what Fitz is up against with the media and turncoat fans and without Decker and trailing big on the road and practically being decapitated his accomplishment was greater.

SAR I

19 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Cutler is not an enigma.  He is a distant, arrogant, heavily flawed player.  He has been chased out of Denver, he is getting chased out of Chicago.  His coaches don't like him.  His teammates don't seem to either.  He is not a leader.  He is just an arm with a poor attitude.

The Cutler obsession of some fans is what I find to be the enigma.  His puzzle is already solved and complete as far as I am concerned.

You are so right!!

People want Cutler, why?

Because the Jets have been sooooo fantastic over the last 40 years taking troubled QBs and developing them.

People claim to be football fans and they want this guy!!!!

There is a reason why Brandon Marshall went to the wall when discussing Fitz. 

BM loves Fitz because he is very thing Cutler isn't.  That is a team first guy who is smart about the game of football and not just talented but who leads by endearing himself to those around him by constantly thinking of ways to improve.

And while I have been extremely tough on Fitz, I can assure you Fitz is TRYING, he is trying to do the right things, hence his teammates crazy devotion for the dude.

Cutler is the anti Fitz, wildly talented but extremely selfish and interested in the game as a player as a pet rock might be.

Cutler on the Jets/

Good Grief!!!!

At this point I would take him. It is taking Petty and Hackenberg forever to prove "ready" and even if they are ready now, they wouldn't be an upgrade over Cutler IMO. I have read and heard that he is a bad character, attitude wise, but who gives a s&it about that if he can get the team some wins and provide good QBing.

32 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

At this point I would take him. It is taking Petty and Hackenberg forever to prove "ready" and even if they are ready now, they wouldn't be an upgrade over Cutler IMO. I have read and heard that he is a bad character, attitude wise, but who gives a s&it about that if he can get the team some wins and provide good QBing.

Cutler wouldnt be a move in the right direction for this organization it would be an upgrade over Fitzpatrick thats it. 

We need a young QB with a future here stability at the position something to build around.

On 11/1/2016 at 1:10 AM, Mogglez said:

We have two QB's on the roster right now who have as strong if not stronger arms than Cutler right now.  Hackenberg has a Howitzer.

There was a time where I would have loved Jay Cutler.  I don't think I feel the same way anymore.

I don't know about sheer arm strength, Cutler has a gun.

But, he's old, and no one has ever really done well with him.  Jets can just ask Marshall and Forte, and get the inside scoop.  I think Jets fans just like him because we were rumored to possibly get him in a trade up and got Mangold instead.

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

I don't know about sheer arm strength, Cutler has a gun.

But, he's old, and no one has ever really done well with him.  Jets can just ask Marshall and Forte, and get the inside scoop.  I think Jets fans just like him because we were rumored to possibly get him in a trade up and got Mangold instead.

Jets fans are QB hungry. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Cutler wouldnt be a move in the right direction for this organization it would be an upgrade over Fitzpatrick thats it. 

We need a young QB with a future here stability at the position something to build around.

Which we don't have at all thus the talk of cutler, any talk of cutler or any other QB is assuming that petty either doesn't show enough or the team doesn't play him.  Hackenburg is out of the question for next year.  He would be a short term replacement instead of Fitz.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Jay Cutler career               68-69  32,033 yards  206 TD 143 iNTs 

Ryan Fitzpatrick  career    45-66-1 24,967 yards  161 TD  127 INTs 

If you extrapolate Fitz's stats to the same number of games as Cutler the stats are almost identical except the W-L where Culter has more wins. Otherwise yards, TDs and INTs are practically the same. Cutler has had years with awful interceptions (he nailed five in one game--sound familiar?) and 7-9 and 8-8 seasons. He's marginally better than Fitz. I can't see a good reason to pay out another large QB contract on a guy who is at best average who isn't a long term solution? Cutler's best years in the league are behind him and they weren't even great years.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 11:52 AM, RoadFan said:

It has nothing to do with "the hate around here."  His coaches and teammates don't like him everywhere he has been.  The "hate" is from where it matters the most.

Why is that such a difficult concept to grasp?

I don't think his teammates hate him.  And the likeability of a player only takes one so far.

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

yeah well it's better than them hating the starting QB 

Not always, players have very different motivations at times and the like hate often goes with how the team is doing on the field.  There have been a lot of sucessful coaches and players that were not likeable.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not always, players have very different motivations at times and the like hate often goes with how the team is doing on the field.  There have been a lot of sucessful coaches and players that were not likeable.

And Cutler isn't one of them!!!! :)

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

True, if you look back at the hiistory of teams he has been on they have had some of the worst defense and worst olines in the league to go along with new hcs and ocs dman near every year.

You sound like me and some of my clearly insane defenses of Sanchez!!!

i hope that should give you good reason to pause ;) 

I just evaluate by what I see on the field over the years.  The guy had probably the best arm in the l;league and one of the best pocket presences and stands in to make plays.  

Hey the ideal QB for the jets is not Cutler but if the jets still don't know who their QB is next year I'd just as soon have cutler as Fitzpatrick.

Archived