Former Jet Joe McKnight Murdered UPDATED: Man indicted for second-degree murder

JetNation

mcknight

By Glenn Naughton

Multiple media outlets are reporting that former New York Jets running back/kick returner Joe McKnight has been murdered in his Terrytown, LA.

McKnight was reportedly involved in a traffic altercation at 3pm and was attempting to calm the perpetrator by apologizing for whatever it was that took place between the two according to a witness at the scene.

EMT’s on the scene attempted CPR but were unable to revive the former USC star who was a fourth round draft choice of the New York Jets in the 2010 NFL draft.

McKnight’s identity was confirmed by loved ones who arrived at the scene.  He was 28 years old.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

v8RjsNG6sZc

Click here to read the full story...

• 2 months later...

Road rage killer of ex-Jet Joe McKnight indicted on second-degree murder charge

The Lousiana man accused of fatally shooting former Jets running back Joe McKnight in a December road rage incident has been indicted on a second-degree murder charge.

The Jefferson Parish District Attorney’s office announced a grand jury’s decision to indict Ronald Gasser on Thursday afternoon.

Gasser, 54, was initially questioned but not arrested after the Dec. 1 shooting in the New Orleans suburb of Terrytown, which sparked nationwide outrage. Police arrested and charged him with manslaughter five days later.

McKnight was shot and killed outside his car after he and Gasser got into a fight. One of the drivers allegedly cut the other off, sparking an argument that lasted for several blocks until McKnight pulled over to get out of his car.

Police said Gasser shot the retired NFLer at least three times in the chest, shoulder and hand from inside his own car.

New York Jets running back Joe McKnight (25) during the Jets OTA at their training facility.

Gasser remained in his vehicle while medics attempted to save the 28-year-old's life. He confessed to killing the other driver when police arrived at the scene. 

The killing came eight months after a similar road rage incident that left former Saints star Will Smith dead and his wife wounded in the streets of New Orleans. Cardell Hayes shot the couple on April 9 and was convicted of manslaughter and attempted manslaughter in December.

Gasser has remained in jail since his arrest and faces life imprisonment if convicted. His bail has been increased to $750,000.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Good to hear, considering it sounded for a while there like nothing was going to happen.  Sucks that it happened at all, but here's hoping there's a conviction coming.

+1

tortoise-hare-book600.jpg

Slow and Steady in order to be SURE and TRUE. 

This does not surprise me in the least.  I had a huge post that got wiped in the original thread that we'll see if prior bad acts can be included at trial, but that's a slippery slope and a tough hill to climb. What bothered me was that McKnight was shot through the passenger side window, which means that Gasser rolled down the window and shot him. I mean, it was freaking December and 45 degrees out. Gasser is going down, no doubt about it. Bye. 

The only reason he got nailed is the chase.  He could have retrated by turning the corner i am assuming. 

Otherwise he wohld be justified in firing on  this maniac to protect himself from physical harm or death. 

The lesson here is to never leave your car. What u can  do in nj is not what u can do in the south

23 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

The only reason he got nailed is the chase.  He could have retrated by turning the corner i am assuming. 

Otherwise he wohld be justified in firing on  this maniac to protect himself from physical harm or death. 

The lesson here is to never leave your car. What u can  do in nj is not what u can do in the south

Joe McKnight was a maniac?  C'mon, guy. He made an untimely decision that cost him his life, but the shooter is not the victim here, and McKnight in no shape or form deserved to die.  

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

McKnight was from Louisiana...not NJ. The bigger question is why you seem so hell bent on making this McKnight's fault...

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Two sides to every story - but how you get that thinking out of the facts is frightening. 

Perp is a troubled dickhead with a history of this type of behavior. Hope he goes away for a long while but it still won't bring Joe back.

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

When did Joe McKnight become a "maniac"?

8 hours ago, HighPitch said:

It's people like you who need to have the ignorance punched out of you. Stfu.

On 2/3/2017 at 9:57 AM, Freemanm said:

What an awful tragedy. Makes me think twice about flipping the bird to someone who cuts me off.

I was at a redlight last year at 6:00 am and I got rear ended at 3 mph by some kid.  I get out, saw there wasn't even a scratch on my bumper but was really pissed and start yelling at him.  he looked at me with a blank stare, didn't even say anything.  as I ranted it dawned on me he may have rear ended me on purpose, or may be carrying so I got back in my car and left. I later figured he was on his way home from being out and was probably high as a kite.

local story up here some guy had a road rage incident with a school bus.  he blocked it with his car and tried to pry open the doors with his bare hands, and is due in court soon.  he is 64 years old, lol.

McKnight made the mistake of getting out of his car and going to the guy but by no means deserved to die.

If Gasser was a well adjusted human being he would have sped off.

Just my impression but Gasser strikes me as the type just driving around with a gun salivating at a quasi legal chance to use it.

24 minutes ago, Larz said:

I was at a redlight last year at 6:00 am and I got rear ended at 3 mph by some kid.  I get out, saw there wasn't even a scratch on my bumper but was really pissed and start yelling at him.  he looked at me with a blank stare, didn't even say anything.  as I ranted it dawned on me he may have rear ended me on purpose, or may be carrying so I got back in my car and left. I later figured he was on his way home from being out and was probably high as a kite.

local story up here some guy had a road rage incident with a school bus.  he blocked it with his car and tried to pry open the doors with his bare hands, and is due in court soon.  he is 64 years old, lol.

so there wasn't even a scratch on your bumper but for some reason you got completely irate anyway? seems like a pretty dumb reaction 

On 2/2/2017 at 4:03 PM, SAR I said:

Road rage killer of ex-Jet Joe McKnight indicted on second-degree murder charge

The Lousiana man accused of fatally shooting former Jets running back Joe McKnight in a December road rage incident has been indicted on a second-degree murder charge.

The Jefferson Parish District Attorney’s office announced a grand jury’s decision to indict Ronald Gasser on Thursday afternoon.

Gasser, 54, was initially questioned but not arrested after the Dec. 1 shooting in the New Orleans suburb of Terrytown, which sparked nationwide outrage. Police arrested and charged him with manslaughter five days later.

McKnight was shot and killed outside his car after he and Gasser got into a fight. One of the drivers allegedly cut the other off, sparking an argument that lasted for several blocks until McKnight pulled over to get out of his car.

Police said Gasser shot the retired NFLer at least three times in the chest, shoulder and hand from inside his own car.

New York Jets running back Joe McKnight (25) during the Jets OTA at their training facility.

Gasser remained in his vehicle while medics attempted to save the 28-year-old's life. He confessed to killing the other driver when police arrived at the scene. 

The killing came eight months after a similar road rage incident that left former Saints star Will Smith dead and his wife wounded in the streets of New Orleans. Cardell Hayes shot the couple on April 9 and was convicted of manslaughter and attempted manslaughter in December.

Gasser has remained in jail since his arrest and faces life imprisonment if convicted. His bail has been increased to $750,000.

SAR I

Good. RiP Joe

-- The man who fatally shot former NFL player Joe McKnight formally pleaded not guilty Monday to a second-degree murder charge.

Ronald Gasser, 55, of Terrytown, had initially been arrested on a manslaughter charge following McKnight's Dec. 1 death. Last week, he was indicted on a second-degree murder charge, which carries a mandatory life sentence. He's jailed on $750,000 bond.

"It was a case of justifiable homicide," defense attorney Gerard Archer told reporters after a brief arraignment hearing at the Jefferson Parish Courthouse in the New Orleans suburb of Gretna.

Authorities have said the 28-year-old McKnight, who was black, and Gasser, who is white, were driving erratically and yelling at each other prior to the shooting. The confrontation took place as they were traveling over the Mississippi River on a heavily traveled bridge that links downtown New Orleans to its west bank and adjoining suburbs in neighboring Jefferson Parish.

Authorities said the shooting happened after both cars had stopped ant McKnight approached Gasser's vehicle. Gasser shot McKnight three times.Last week, Archer and co-defense counsel Matthew Goetz said they believe McKnight tried to enter Gasser's car through the passenger window. They noted that Gasser stayed on the scene after the shooting and said he cooperated with police. They said that Gasser did not know McKnight and said the shooting was not racially motivated.

McKnight was considered the No. 1 running back recruit in the country when he came out of John Curtis Christian School in Louisiana in 2006. He signed with the University of Southern California, where he ran for 2,213 yards and 13 touchdowns and caught 66 passes for 542 yards and two scores in three seasons.In the NFL, he played three seasons for the New York Jets and one with the Kansas City Chiefs. He spent the past season in the Canadian Football League, playing two games for the Edmonton Eskimos and three for the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

>      http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18631070/not-guilty-plea-man-shot-ex-nfl-player-joe-mcknight

Archived