Let's discuss - Who is the next coach?

Joe W. Namath

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Matt39 said:

Chris Peterson at Washington would be a guy to explore. Problem is these college jobs are better than most NFL gigs now. The only high profile coach left in the league is Belichick and maybe Carroll or Jim Harbaugh.

True. Harbaugh and the top college guys basically recruit the very top tier. Being a top end college coach is a better gig-shorter season, more control. Always a chance some dumb 18 year old does something stupid on a drunk Friday night, but you can banish him in 10 minutes and have his equal on campus very quickly. As long as these guys keep winning they have more job security than an NFL HC. Kiffin and Miles might be worth a look because they've been tossed out of that tier and may not get back into it. 

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

True. Harbaugh and the top college guys basically recruit the very top tier. Being a top end college coach is a better gig-shorter season, more control. Always a chance some dumb 18 year old does something stupid on a drunk Friday night, but you can banish him in 10 minutes and have his equal on campus very quickly. As long as these guys keep winning they have more job security than an NFL HC. Kiffin and Miles might be worth a look because they've been tossed out of that tier and may not get back into it. 

Les Miles is a terrible football coach. If Im going the college route I'd either want the best of the best like Saban or Meyer...or a guy who's overachieved and built programs like Peterson/Shaw...or how Coughlin did for BC back in the day. The likelihood of any of these guys willing to work for the Jets is basically zero though...save Woody handing over a blank check and going to London for 4 years.

I can't imagine either Nick Saban or Urban Meyer would be interested in the NYJ job but I'd more than be happy w/ either.  Same for Harbaugh but he just moved into college coaching so I don't think he's moving back so quickly.  I definitely wouldn't mind Coughlin despite his age.  He could put the franchise back on track.  I'd throw big money at Gruden too if he'd be willing (I don't think he would be).  Maybe Spags from the Giants is a more realistic option.  I'd be okay w/ that.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can't imagine either Nick Saban or Urban Meyer would be interested in the NYJ job but I'd more than be happy w/ either.  Same for Harbaugh but he just moved into college coaching so I don't think he's moving back so quickly.  I definitely wouldn't mind Coughlin despite his age.  He could put the franchise back on track.  I'd throw big money at Gruden too if he'd be willing (I don't think he would be).  Maybe Spags from the Giants is a more realistic option.  I'd be okay w/ that.

We have zero shot at any of the college big boys.  Harbuagh, Saban, Meyer etc are not leaving their cush gigs with winning programs for the jets.

Now Greg Schiano we do have a shot at.  Not my first choice but I'd gladly take him over Bowles.

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

We have zero shot at any of the college big boys.  Harbuagh, Saban, Meyer etc are not leaving their cush gigs with winning programs for the jets.

Now Greg Schiano we do have a shot at.  Not my first choice but I'd gladly take him over Bowles.

How about this controversial call - Eric Mangini.  I know I will get a lot of flak for this but I would do it if we can't get the other names.

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'll drink a glass of my own piss with a smile on my face if this happens. It won't though. 

Interesting.  I'd probably just be like, "yay, we got a good football coach," but you know, drinking your pee is cool too!

After the last 2, will definetely be someone with previous HC experience.

Harbaugh would be my number 1, more likely will a co-ordinator looking to get back into a HC job

Todd Haley

Josh McDaniels (doubt he would dump working with Mr Cheat for the garbage we have on our roster)

Doug Marrone

Wade Phillips???

1 hour ago, JETdawg1389 said:

After the last 2, will definetely be someone with previous HC experience.

Harbaugh would be my number 1, more likely will a co-ordinator looking to get back into a HC job

Todd Haley

Josh McDaniels (doubt he would dump working with Mr Cheat for the garbage we have on our roster)

Doug Marrone

Wade Phillips???

Josh McDaniel would be my 1st choice. I look at McDaniel in the same lens as Pete Carrol except Josh has stayed in the NFL. I think McDaniel would welcome coaching the Jets if we grabbed Mike Glennon & he had Glennon, Petty, Hack to groom from. Because we're in a rebuild mode (CLEAR AS DAY), he should be given the time to put his system in and go from there. What we'd all be looking for is gradual IMPROVEMENT instead of this spinning our tires every year in mediocrity.

The Jets have weapons, the Oline needs to be a priority! Let's build an offense that takes advantage of the rule changes. Where the Jets are picking they could easily end up with Mike Williams in the 1st round, someone like Devin Cook in the 2nd, use their free agent dollars on a couple Oline guys & an edge rusher, and draft Oline prospects the rest of the draft for depth.

Look guys, this isn't a one year fix, so the easiest way to compete is to continue building 1 side of the ball with studs. Did you see how easily Robbie Anderson was getting open deep on MNF? He's gonna be more experienced next year. So you've got your clear out guy, no one knows yet what we have in Smith due to injury. McDaniel would have all the pcs necessary to implement an offense that would be hard for most defenses to defend. 

The defense would be a work in progress but guys like Lee, Jenkins, Burris would be another year older with some NFL experience. At least we could score some points & then be more aggressive on defense and take some chances for turnovers. It would be a helluva lot more fun seeing Jets in the endzone even if we're winning high scoring games 35-28. 

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

In that division that record is impressive.  Hes not playing the dolphins/jets/bills 6 games a year.

The guy has more division crowns then our franchise does.

Yes  and no the NY Jets have won 4 division crowns. And again there are times he should have been fired like this yr what has enabled him to get to that impressive almost 500 record is that he has coached the same team for 14 yrs. That means the owner has had patience, which is something this fan base and market is lacking. Now I am not saying Bowles has  done a great job this yr but the Bengals are an example of team that has not changed coaches after one bad yr and this is what you get. So just imagine having the same coach for 5 yrs in a row........

People wonder why the Patriots are so Good?   In addition to Brady,they have Bellichick, McDaniels and Patricia.   That is the best coaching staff in the league.  Look at the staff Parcells had when he was here, and the Jets won 12 games.  

The Jets-first time HC doing an awful job this year (reporting to owner), first time DC doing an awful job, a burned out OC, and a first time GM (reporting to owner) who is not joined up with the HC.  Of course the Jets stink.  

This requires a radical, structural change.

I'm surprised things turned bad so quickly for Bowles. He had a winning season last year and now the media and fans want him fired.

Not saying he should stay, but I can't remember a coach getting fired in his 2nd season after having a winning season his first year.

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Chris Peterson at Washington would be a guy to explore. Problem is these college jobs are better than most NFL gigs now. The only high profile coach left in the league is Belichick and maybe Carroll or Jim Harbaugh.

College coaches who have no prior nfl coaching experience, including coordinating scares me off. Jim Harbagh didn't have nfl coaching experience prior to coaching SF, but he did play in the league for over a decade.  

8 minutes ago, SMC said:

I'm surprised things turned bad so quickly for Bowles. He had a winning season last year and now the media and fans want him fired.

Not saying he should stay, but I can't remember a coach getting fired in his 2nd season after having a winning season his first year.

I don't think it's so much the results, but how the results came about.  It wasn't unreasonable to expect a step back.  However, the roster mismanagement, the overly conservative game plans, the under-performance of perceived strengths, and most damming, the lack of effort kind of accelerates this process.  On top of that, no QB on the roster, and no clear path to one, while perhaps the GM's fault, only makes the situation worse.  4-12 with effort, progress from the young guys, and maybe the sense that there might have been a QB, and Bowles is just fine.

22 minutes ago, SMC said:

Bill Callahan.

18 hours ago, JiF said:

He wont be available and even if he was, he wouldnt come here to report to the Owner and not the GM.

A coach would rather report to the owner instead of reporting to the GM. A couch would ideally want the GM reporting to him.

Just now, Maxman said:

A coach would rather report to the owner instead of reporting to the GM. A couch would ideally want the GM reporting to him.

Hopefully Trump appoints Woodbrain to be the Ambassador to the North Pole so he can actually let football guys run the team

4 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Hopefully Trump appoints Woodbrain to be the Ambassador to the North Pole so he can actually let football guys run the team

good point and hopefully we get someone like Charlie Casserly or Ron Wolf to make those decisions- real football guys.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

good point and hopefully we get someone like Charlie Casserly or Ron Wolf to make those decisions- real football guys.

Woody is the worst owner in the NFL.  We got to keep him busy and away from this team.  Maybe he can help Trump lay bricks on that 2,000 mile wall

Archived