Woody Johnson must pick Todd Bowles' replacement before Jets owner takes potential UK ambassador job

Ken Schroy

15 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

This has coughlin written all over it....

Wouldn't be high on my list, and I wouldn't expect him to win a super bowl or be here more than 4 seasons, but I do feel he would put us in a good direction, create a strong culture, and hopefully leave us with a successor and good assistants.

3 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

This is a very bad list. Coordinators who have not accomplished much, former head coaches who failed miserably, or current head coaches who are apparently under achieving. 

Please tell us where all of the multiple SB winning unemployed head coaches are. 

Just now, RESNewYork said:

Agree. But I'm not sure how this list is better than Bowles. I know to most fans that sounds crazy but I just don't see how this list is better. 

Also just for back story, the last two hires, I was praying we hired Rex Ryan and then Todd Bowles. Was also praying we did not hire either Seattle coordinator. So there's that. 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

New York Sports Media (and ESPN et al.) have far too big a hardon for failed ex-Patriots assistant coaches.

And for a forum where Politics talk is banned, there is an awful lot of Politics in this thread, smh.

There's 'a lot of politics' in this thread? Looks like just some wisecracks to me. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Josh McDaniels would never have the situation going on like we have going on here with Todd Bowles.

Hand picking Tim Tebow in the first round was a great situation though

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Josh McDaniels would never have the situation going on like we have going on here with Todd Bowles.

No he'd be worse. He's the guy who drafted Tim Tebow with a first round pick. 

Bowles is a bad coach, but McDouchebag is an abortion.

You know, just a thought...but if you want to run with 1st time GM's and 1st time HC's like Macc and Bowles, it would seem to make sense to me that they would have a 'football man' to answer to and not Woody Johnson.

Someone like Coughlin would fit that bill perfectly IMO as he could consult with both of the new guys as he has that experience to share.  He could also hold them each accountable and make sure they're both on the same page.

Could this be another avenue for Johnson to take rather than firing Bowles?  IDK, as I said, just a thought but it goes along with what Parcells tried to do years back IIRC...establish a President of Football Operations of sorts.

Just now, greenwave81 said:

You know, just a thought...but if you want to run with 1st time GM's and 1st time HC's like Macc and Bowles, it would seem to make sense to me that they would have a 'football man' to answer to and not Woody Johnson.

Someone like Coughlin would fit that bill perfectly IMO as he could consult with both of the new guys as he has that experience to share.  He could also hold them each accountable and make sure they're both on the same page.

Could this be another avenue for Johnson to take rather than firing Bowles?  IDK, as I said, just a thought but it goes along with what Parcells tried to do years back IIRC...establish a President of Football Operations of sorts.

very interesting idea

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

very interesting idea

Thanks.

Another interesting thing that hiring a respected 'football man' would do as say Team President etc with total oversight of football operations is make the job possibly more tenable to more HC candidates..in a sense, give the team more 'stability'.

Also, Woody (and I don't hate the man like some on here) as the sole source of judgement on some Coach's performance is sub-optimal at best...he's never demonstrated the competence to be 'that guy'...hence why he consulted with Casserly and Wolf to find a GM/HC in the first place.

Coughlin could have been a good mentor for Bowles this year...Macc too.  We're all concerned about 'developing a QB' but seem less inclined to be concerned with 'developing our HC/GM'.

11 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Neil Glat and Woody are more concerned about the dogs catching frisbees at halftime than figuring out the actual football product.

Thinking about this whole HC situation and it occurs to me we may have missed the boat a few years back.
What do you folks think about Mike Westoff ? Honestly I listen to him on the post game show and he seems to see the good and the bad as clear as glass. Yes, he was just a ST coach, but he was the best ST coach in all of football.
We all know he takes no crap from anyone and he seems to have a excellent knowledge of all three phases of the game.
I remember he really wanted to be the HC here and did apply for the job.
In hindsight, I wonder if the Jets made a huge mistake in
not giving the job to him when was with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, fltflo said:

Thinking about this whole HC situation and it occurs to me we may have missed the boat a few years back.
What do you folks think about Mike Westoff ? Honestly I listen to him on the post game show and he seems to see the good and the bad as clear as glass. Yes, he was just a ST coach, but he was the best ST coach in all of football.
We all know he takes no crap from anyone and he seems to have a excellent knowledge of all three phases of the game.

I would have no problem giving the job to Westhoff if he still wants it.  I thought he retired due to age (and I think he's had health issues in the past too).

2 hours ago, fltflo said:

Not only did he hold his players accountable but they had great situational knowledge. No catching fair punts inside the 10 or running out kickoffs to be tackled at the 15 yard line. I'm still amazed that more players don't pull a Leon Washington and catch the kickoffs with one foot out of bounds when the kicks are near the sidelines. Easy way to get the ball at the 40. 

Archived