Kiper says Jets should ignore QB in rd. 1...go defense.

AFJF

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Those guys are pass rushers.  Most pass rushers dont burst onto the scene. Look at Vic Beasly.  They can take a year and they're worth their positional draft value because of how they change the game. 

The bold is the one saving grace.  Doesnt change the point of the discussion though.  See my post above with the top tackle leaders. 

And they are not all pass rushers in fact, some were safeties and defensive tackles...  Wow... You really don't pay attention... just shoot off your mouth with nothing to back it up.

I was looking back on some of Lee's scouting reports predraft.

One said that his weaknesses was his tackling technique and his size.

I think he's been a better tackler then most people thought he would be (3rd on the team in combined tackles).

I think his coverage needs work, but one thing that was said is that he is a clean slate. He's raw but with good teaching can flourish.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Of course it does. 

Do you take punters in the 1st round? There isnt a rule that says you cant. 

On no level does it say that.

LB isnt P.  

So you wouldn't have taken LT, Ray Lewis, Dick Butkus, Marvin Jones, Mo Lewis, J Vilma, Von Miller, J Houston, etc, etc with a first round pick?  

@JiF is slowly drowning in this subject... Look the first round wasn't great this past year, the jets needed a slew of LBs, Lee fell from his draft position, Jets could use speed and at an everydown LB position yet YOU think he was over drafted because he is over his head in his rookie year in a position most players don't play well until their 2nd or 3rd year because of the amount of information they have to know. Yet since your expert opinion of Lee says it was too early, I must be wrong because I want to wait a year or two before I call it a bad pick or not.

And I corrected you on the fact that the Jets have had multiple pass rushers (which you said they had nver had any).  And I corrected that Lee was not the 15th pick (although he was slated to be drafted there) and was the 20th pick by the Jets in a weak talent draft class with not a lot of first round talent.  In fact can you name 5 players that immediate impact players drafted right after (notice not in the 3rd or 4th round) that are impact players right now... Using only players drafted late first and into the second round as examples. Hard right??? Because there wasn't much... These are all developmental players that have the potential to be All Stars, not immediate impact players that will never develop much further and are nearing peak after their first season.

5 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

If they drafted him over Bosa or Ramsey I could understand his point.... but in reality they didn't.

Its that hes a sort of a boring pick in a way.

Not a big sack guy this year, if ever.  So not the big splash player that we all want everywhere in the draft.  But rarely get.  

And 20 is a big deal over 15.  A solid LB who plays for years and produces out of the 20th slot is a great pick

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Its that hes a sort of boring pick.

Not a big sack guy this year, if ever.  So not the big splash player that we all want everywhere in the draft.  But rarely get.  

And 20 is a big deal over 15.  A solid LB who plays for years and produces out of the 20th slot is a great pick

That might be the biggest reason of all

23 hours ago, flgreen said:

Agree

The problem with Peppers is he doesn't have a true position that he will be an All Pro at, but you can line him up at S, LB'er, or CB, and still have an excellent player.  Will be a night mare  for OC's to game plan for

Peppers reminds me of Tyrann Matheiu

2 hours ago, King P said:

Kizer just declared. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I'm a big fan of his and would definitely draft him if he were available (which he wont be).

But I asked Tony Pauline and he basically said the Jets aren't drafting a QB in the 1st

Browns are drafting Kizer.

Not only would Kizer be the #1 pick anyway he's the Notre Dame Qb that carries a lot of weight with people in the Midwest 

You draft a QB in the first round every year until you find your franchise QB. I'm willing to sacrifice 3-4 first rounders in an effort to find a true franchise QB. And if you're lucky, you mind end up with a Rivers/Brees situation. We can do that or we can continue to drafts the likes of Kyle Wilson and Dee Milliner. We missed out on Bridgewater n then Carr (thanks Izdumb). 

6 hours ago, j4jets said:

You draft a QB in the first round every year until you find your franchise QB. I'm willing to sacrifice 3-4 first rounders in an effort to find a true franchise QB. And if you're lucky, you mind end up with a Rivers/Brees situation. We can do that or we can continue to drafts the likes of Kyle Wilson and Dee Milliner. We missed out on Bridgewater n then Carr (thanks Izdumb). 

Not dismissing the premise, but the Chargers dynasty is not the best example. 

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Not dismissing the premise, but the Chargers dynasty is not the best example. 

Example wasn't their dynasty. Example was their QB situation, one of which has a SB ring. I'd totally give up a decade worth of first rounders if it meant a SB win. Some would give up 40 years worth of first rounders just to see us win another SB. 

Archived