is Chan Gailey going to be the Jets sacrificial lamb ? ? ?

kelly

Chan Gailey has become an easy target these days, a convenient culprit to help ease the pain for this forgettable season. In a few weeks, he might become the sacrificial lamb.

The Jets have two play callers in the building: Todd Bowles and Gailey.

Since Bowles isn’t going to fire himself, Gailey stands to be the scapegoat for the Jets.There will almost certainly be other coaching changes too after some position groups drastically underachieved, but Bowles, who has sole control over which coaches stay or go, will need to show that the status quo isn’t acceptable.I’m not sold that Gailey deserves to be fired despite the woeful offensive numbers this season. Remember, this is the same guy, who oversaw the most prolific offense in franchise history last year.

Did Gailey magically forget how to call good plays in his second season? Did he suddenly become clueless?

Of course not, but offensive coordinator’s live in a world where second-guessing is part of the job description. Gailey, who has coached for seven organizations over four decades, knows the drill. We’re all Monday Morning Quarterbacks. We’re all Bill Walsh in our own minds. Play-calling is a snap.“Being a head coach, being a play caller and being a quarterback are all kind of similar in that it’s always easy to question that person,” Ryan Fitzpatrick told the Daily News. “But when you are that person and you’re having to make every decision ... it’s a hard thing to do. It’s harder than it looks. Most people that are critiquing and criticizing have never been in that position.”

“It’s not even (people) that never played,” Fitzpatrick continued. “It’s even people who have played, but have never been the person that calls plays. It’s not an easy thing. As a head coach, all the decisions you make get scrutinized. That’s part of the job. That’s how head coach, coordinator and quarterback are similar ... You are the decision maker. You’re the one doing it so everything you do is going to be scrutinized. A lot of people that are doing (the criticizing) have never been in that position before. Maybe they don’t realize the difficulty of it.”

Bowles hired Gailey, who was out of football for two seasons, for myriad reasons. He had twice before been a head coach. He had cultivated quarterbacks. He was expected to provide the calm and leadership needed for an offense that had struggled badly in the previous four seasons under Rex Ryan.Gailey’s offense flourished last season to help Bowles win 10 games.

It all became unhinged this year.

The Jets are 22nd in total offense, 26th in passing offense and tied for 28th in scoring. Gailey’s offense has had a 27.3 percent decline in scoring, 9.9 percent total yardage dip and 12.3 percent drop in passing yardage from 2015. The Jets are nowhere close to reaching the franchise-record 5,925 total yards from last season. They’re on pace for 28 touchdowns – 16 fewer than a year ago.Gailey’s unit failed to score a touchdown in 16 consecutive possessions during a stretch bridging back-to-back losses to the Steelers and Cardinals. The Jets managed just two touchdowns, including one fluke score, during a 23-drive stretch spanning three consecutive losses from Weeks 4-6.

The tipping point came during a Week 3 defeat in Kansas City. There were plenty of people on One Jets Drive unhappy with Gailey’s red-zone play-callingin a 24-3 loss to the Chiefs. Specifically, they weren’t too pleased with Gailey’s six passing plays – and no runs – from the 10-yard line and in. The result: Fitzpatrick went 1 for 6 with two interceptions in the end zone.It highlighted an eight-turnover nightmare for Bowles’ team and prompted concerns about the offensive coordinator from within the organization.

It was not Gailey’s finest hour, but it’s unfair to ignore the realities of this season, including losing Eric Decker for the bulk of it. Gailey has had to quickly incorporate a slew of rookie receivers. He’s now working with a second-year project quarterback.“You have to learn certain skill sets and learn how to utilize guys,” Fitzpatrick said. “So there was some newness there. That’s what I think he does a great job with.”

Gailey has not been able to effectively utilize Jets tight ends, which might be an indictment on the players at that position more than the man calling the plays. Decker’s loss has turned one of the best red-zone offenses into one of the worst.Gailey, of course, is ultimately responsible for all of it. He’s not a quitter, either, so any announcement of a “retirement” at the end of the season would be window dressing. He wants to continue to coach. He’ll turn 65 next month, but has the work ethic and drive of a much younger man.“He could be in Georgia playing with his grandkids, but he wanted to come back and coach,” Fitzpatrick said. “The fire and the energy are still there, for sure.”

Is Gailey really the problem? Or is he going to be nothing more than the fall guy for a lost team?

>       http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/chan-gailey-jets-sacrificial-lamb-article-1.2909578

Was going to post this, but it's the Daily news, and not sure if that is a reliable source. 

Shocking that a  defense-oriented coach who sublets the offense to his OC might then throw said OC into the volcano ext to the Jets'  practice facility to save his job. How common is this

I don't have a problem with Gailey. It's not his fault Fitz was terrible, Decker got hurt and the o-line is bad. With that said, the defense has been awful since day 1 giving up big play after big play and finally imploding recently. If anyone needs to get fired it's Rodgers. 

Keeping Gailey around would only help Petty/Hack develop. Bringing in a new guy with a new system won't help their development. Plus, what creative offensive mind will come to work under Bowles knowing that if they have 1 bad year the whole staff will be fired and he has no QB and a shaky Oline??

I am not saying Gailey is great, but he isn't the problem. Since Bowles is a defensive mind we can promote someone to DC and the transition will be relatively seamless. 

26 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't have a problem with Gailey. It's not his fault Fitz was terrible, Decker got hurt and the o-line is bad. With that said, the defense has been awful since day 1 giving up big play after big play and finally imploding recently. If anyone needs to get fired it's Rodgers. 

Keeping Gailey around would only help Petty/Hack develop. Bringing in a new guy with a new system won't help their development. Plus, what creative offensive mind will come to work under Bowles knowing that if they have 1 bad year the whole staff will be fired and he has no QB and a shaky Oline??

I am not saying Gailey is great, but he isn't the problem. Since Bowles is a defensive mind we can promote someone to DC and the transition will be relatively seamless. 

Gailey is a lot of why the offense sucks ass. 

Want to guess each drive of the Saturday game?

RUN RUN PASS PUNT

If they get rid of Gailey it would be a disgrace!!!

Those who keep knocking Chan can't have been following the fantastic posts of our our fellow JN poster concerning the poor play of our QBs this year.   

Saying that you disagree with play calling would make sense if you explained why Chan's playing calling sucked. 

Are those of you complaining noting for example that teams would stack the box and double team BM thereby forcing the team to throw to another person say in the red zone? When the Jets had Decker and definitely when he went down Fitz was making the wrong reads or forcing the ball when he shouldn't.  

Having thread after thread where you bellyache like a child that the Jets didn't score enough or call your favorite play is silly.  This isn't FF or Madden; this is the NFL teams will force you to execute towards your weakness and deny your strengths.  

One more thing, why is DC Rogers getting a pass???????

The defenses with its aging players was a far greater let down than the offense IMO. 

OC is the most thankless job in all of football by a long ways.  They are always under praised and blamed for everything.  The jets have had injuries and lousy performances on offense but scheme is still fine.  Meanwhile our defense is a sheer and utter joke with most players not even trying, the schemes are awful and the D is at least as much if not more responsible for the jets record.  If there is any guy that should be lead to the altar of sacrifice it is Rogers and our special teams guy.

Chan galley made fitz a rich guy and made mac the executive of the year last year.  He's well down the list of this teams troubles.  I could easily see him retiring after the year.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Keeping Gailey around would only help Petty/Hack develop. Bringing in a new guy with a new system won't help their development.

This.

If we want to see Petty get a chance to develop and start next year, do we really want to throw him into a whole new offensive system, especially with everyone saying how much of a project he is? Despite people's opinions of Chan, it seems counter-productive, for Petty's sake, to give him all this time to sit and learn an NFL offense, then to rip that offense out from under him just as soon as it's looking like he has a chance to start. I dunno, I may be an idiot.

If Bowles stays, I wouldn't fire Chan unless a much better OC becomes available (not sure I would go rookie here); For example, some people really like Hue Jackson as a OC/QB coach (I don't know how I feel about him personally), but if he is perceived as a big step up, I would consider making a change.

IOW, I am NOT advocating change for change sake, but if there is someone who is perceived to be much better (and can stay longer), maybe it would be worth it.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't think Gailey is the problem.

Offense loses 3 linemen, QB leads the league in interceptions, still have no TE, #2 WR gets hurt, #1 playing hurt.  What do people expect?   Now, breaking in a first time starting QB.  You know what would really not help 2 young QBs?   Learning a whole new offense.

44 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

OC is the most thankless job in all of football by a long ways.  They are always under praised and blamed for everything.  The jets have had injuries and lousy performances on offense but scheme is still fine.  Meanwhile our defense is a sheer and utter joke with most players not even trying, the schemes are awful and the D is at least as much if not more responsible for the jets record.  If there is any guy that should be lead to the altar of sacrifice it is Rogers and our special teams guy.

Chan galley made fitz a rich guy and made mac the executive of the year last year.  He's well down the list of this teams troubles.  I could easily see him retiring after the year.

I agree 100%

Ummm why is there no drum beat to get rid of Rogers!!!

i don't get it!!

41 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I don't think Gailey is the problem.

Offense loses 3 linemen, QB leads the league in interceptions, still have no TE, #2 WR gets hurt, #1 playing hurt.  What do people expect?   Now, breaking in a first time starting QB.  You know what would really not help 2 young QBs?   Learning a whole new offense.

Well, it's either going to hurt after this season or next when they go 4-12 - so pick your poison.

When your team is going this poor there's always a built up frustration to just fire everyone.

But with a Oline missing 3 , $12M QB under performing to the point of being benched, WR2 on IR, bedding in a new QB, can't really get a read on just how good/bad Chan has been.

For the sake of the young QB's I'd stick with him on the basis of giving him the benefit of the doubt that last years Offense is more indicative.

My observations. Watching the Jets offensive throughout the year I've seen receivers wide open many many times. Proves to be that Gaileys plays are working. Getting the ball to the receivers is not Gaileys job. Fitz has a tendency to focus on single receivers, mostly Marshall and forcing the ball to him in double coverage many times. Fitz also likes to get the ball out fast for 2 reasons: he can't throw the long ball and he doesn't get a lot of time due to the O- line. I'm not too crazy about Gaileys predictable run run pass sets but I understand you need to get the run game going to open up the pass game. With Bowles being a D-back by trade and holding the Defensive play card on the sidelines baffles me as to why the defense sticks so bad. Rodgers needs to go for sure. The secondary's total confusion and blown coverages in reality should not have been such a cluster this year with Bowles at the helm. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

let's see, what offensive coordinator have the fans liked since 2000.  henning? hackett? heimerdinger? schitty? sparano? morinweg? gailey?  it seems like these guys just can't win.  and what we are seeing this season always falls a ton on the defense and even special teams.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

let's see, what offensive coordinator have the fans liked since 2000.  henning? hackett? heimerdinger? schitty? sparano? morinweg? gailey?  it seems like these guys just can't win.  and what we are seeing this season always falls a ton on the defense and even special teams.

And its not just the jets this is for all teams the 1st guy that gets it is the oc, I think at least two have been fired in season this year?  Rex had his sacrificial lamb.

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Well, it's either going to hurt after this season or next when they go 4-12 - so pick your poison.

Next year is next year.  What if Petty take a step forward, and they purge a bunch of old under achievers, have a good draft and go 8-8?

Or, say they do go 4-12, and then Bowles is canned.  Now the new coach brings in another new OC.  So Petty and Hack can learn 3 systems in 3 years.  That's even better.

Gailey is fine.  He actually had the wisdom last year to immediately call Geno the starter and actually snapped at reporters lobbying for Fitz.  He knew what some of us realized then, and ALL of us know now.  Fitz is nothing more than a below average backup who is a good locker room guy.

I actually feel bad for him in that the majority of his career he's been doing yeomans work trying to transform shi-tty QB's into serviceable players.

Looks like we're stuck with Bowles at least one more year so I'd definitely keep him on staff but immediately jettison every defensive coach.  Not one unit on the D is playing anywhere near where they were projected to be.

16 minutes ago, Pac said:

Gailey is fine.  He actually had the wisdom last year to immediately call Geno the starter and actually snapped at reporters lobbying for Fitz.  He knew what some of us realized then, and ALL of us know now.  Fitz is nothing more than a below average backup who is a good locker room guy.

I actually feel bad for him in that the majority of his career he's been doing yeomans work trying to transform shi-tty QB's into serviceable players.

Looks like we're stuck with Bowles at least one more year so I'd definitely keep him on staff but immediately jettison every defensive coach.  Not one unit on the D is playing anywhere near where they were projected to be.

You are so right...

51 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Schitty, Sparano, Morningweg, Gaily.  Why is it that everyone one of these "bums" has had good offenses before coming here and after leaving here?  

Bowles has 2 years on his contract.  Next year is his make or break year.  Gailey is an experienced professional who has had success, including in 2015.  There is no sense firing him, and it will be tough to replace him.  The Jets need to comfortable that Patullo can step up in 2018, or perhaps hire additional/better assistants.  There should be an assistant focusing on QB development, including for one on the Practice Squad.  Marshall on the OL has done a decent job.  The Jets need to assess whether the offensive assistants need to be upgraded.  Worst case Gailey flops and he goes with Bowles next year, and the Jets get a higher draft pick.  We just need to make sure that the QBs are getting developed in the interim.

They should discuss though why we use Forte as a primary RB and we don't use TEs.  Gailey should have a plan for that to keep his job.

The Jet's Defensive coaching from top to bottom has been sub-professional.  It is effecting everyone's development.  Rodgers should go.

They should definitely bring in a Dick Curl type.

I won't state it as rudely as others have done on this forum but....Run, Run, Pass was a disturbing trend this year. Even with Fitzpatrick's physical limitations at QB Chan could've kept defenses on their toes a little more than he did this year. I'm not ready to fire him. I hope the Jets agree with that sentiment .

Archived