The real orchestrator of this Jets wreck wont come out of hiding

joewilly12

The real orchestrator of this Jets wreck won’t come out of hiding

The Jets suffered another humiliating loss on Saturday night, getting slapped around by the Dolphins 34-13 at MetLife Stadium. They are now 4-10 with two games left in this miserable season. Here are some thoughts and observations after the latest loss:

1. Todd Bowles placed the blame for this 4-10 season on himself after the game, but this is not all on him. Bowles deserves plenty of the blame, and it was admirable he took ownership of it, but this team is so flawed, Vince Lombardi would not have won many more games as head coach.

This is a game after which Mike Maccagnan, the invisible general manager, should have been standing in the locker room willing to speak to reporters. He should take some ownership of this mess. He is the one who put together this terrible roster. He is the one who has drafted two quarterbacks who are not ready to play. He is the one who filled the team with veterans on their last legs and very few promising young players.

But Maccagnan did his bye-week press conference and now hides from the media until a postseason session, where he will duck and dodge questions just like he did during the bye week. Bowles should not be the only member of the Jets’ brass taking heat right now, but he is the only one in front of the cameras. Maccagnan is hiding somewhere behind a stack of coffee cups.

Do I think he should be fired? No. He should be given more time to build this team. He inherited a mess, but it is hard to see where he has made the team better. Leonard Williams, his first draft pick, is a 10-year star in this league. The rest of his picks are question marks. He has gotten nothing from either second-round pick – Devin Smith and Christian Hackenberg. The best move he made this year was signing Robby Anderson as an undrafted free agent. Anderson has been better than all of his draft picks.

Jets fans deserve to hear from Maccagnan. The problems with this team go beyond coaching. It’s time for him to take some of the blame for this mess.

I have been critical of Bowles’ defenses this year, but Saturday night was an illustration of how handcuffed he is by personnel. Bowles is known as a third-down blitzer. But to do that, you need cornerbacks who can lock up receivers. Bowles dialed up a “Cover Zero” blitz against the Dolphins, meaning there is no safety help. Kenny Stills ran right by rookie Juston Burris for the 52-yard touchdown. We have seen it time and time again this season whether it is Darrelle Revis, Marcus Williams, Darryl Roberts, whoever is at corner.

The Jets need a complete overhaul in the secondary this offseason. Maccagnan has to find some cornerbacks who will allow Bowles to play his style of defense.

That being said, Bowles needs to be able to adjust better. He knows what he has at cornerback. They can’t be left alone out there. It might not be his style to play Cover 2 or Cover 3 with safety help, but he has to with his current personnel.

2. Bryce Petty showed a lot of guts again. He hung in there when he was under siege behind a leaky offensive line. But Petty did not play well. Those who are saying they are encouraged by the way he played are seeing what they want to see because they want to believe he is the answer at quarterback.

You can see now why the Jets were reluctant to move on from Ryan Fitzpatrick last month and turn to Petty. He is still struggling to read defenses. He checked down a ton to Bilal Powell on Saturday night, which worked to some degree, but he looked really shaky on anything that was not just a timing throw. You can’t see him progressing through reads.

I think Petty will be a good backup quarterback. I’m still not sure he can be a starter, though.

3. Jets fans should not lose sight of the brilliance of Leonard Williams in all the misery of this season. Williams is playing at such a high level that it is fun to watch him every week. You don’t always say that about an interior defensive lineman.

Williams controlled the line of scrimmage at the beginning of the game, and the Dolphins could not run the ball. He deserves Pro Bowl consideration, but he is going to be hurt by being categorized as a defensive end instead of a defensive tackle. He is going to be grouped with 4-3 defensive ends who will have more gaudy sack statistics than him.

Revealing stat: The Dolphins only ran 48 plays, and they scored 34 points. That does not seem possible. A special teams blunder (another one), and touchdown passes of 52 and 66 yards mean you don’t have to control the ball very much to win.

Surprising snap count: Matt Forte played 13 snaps on a torn meniscus. He left last week’s game with the knee injury and did not practice much during the week. Forte’s contract dictates that he will be on the team next year. Why not just shut him down and let him heal?

Game ball: Bilal Powell, Forte’s replacement, had his second straight big game. He had 16 rushes for 84 yards and caught 11 passes for 78 yards in the game. Powell’s play over the past two weeks makes you wonder why he has not played more all season.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JETS REWIND  

The real orchestrator of this Jets wreck won’t come out of hiding

Modal Triggerh3> <h6 style="margin: 0px 0px 15px; padNEW YORK JETS
Sheldon Richardson in hot water over 'F--k this' Snapchat

Jets give up easy blocked punt that totally wrecked their night

Jets' missing ingredient was there all along

Robby Anderson keeps making Jets' receiver decision harder

The Jets suffered another humiliating loss on Saturday night, getting slapped around by the Dolphins 34-13 at MetLife Stadium. They are now 4-10 with two games left in this miserable season. Here are some thoughts and observations after the latest loss:

1. Todd Bowles placed the blame for this 4-10 season on himself after the game, but this is not all on him. Bowles deserves plenty of the blame, and it was admirable he took ownership of it, but this team is so flawed, Vince Lombardi would not have won many more games as head coach.

This is a game after which Mike Maccagnan, the invisible general manager, should have been standing in the locker room willing to speak to reporters. He should take some ownership of this mess. He is the one who put together this terrible roster. He is the one who has drafted two quarterbacks who are not ready to play. He is the one who filled the team with veterans on their last legs and very few promising young players.

But Maccagnan did his bye-week press conference and now hides from the media until a postseason session, where he will duck and dodge questions just like he did during the bye week. Bowles should not be the only member of the Jets’ brass taking heat right now, but he is the only one in front of the cameras. Maccagnan is hiding somewhere behind a stack of coffee cups.

SEE ALSO

Are the Jets any better off than the Rex/Idzik regime?

Do I think he should be fired? No. He should be given more time to build this team. He inherited a mess, but it is hard to see where he has made the team better. Leonard Williams, his first draft pick, is a 10-year star in this league. The rest of his picks are question marks. He has gotten nothing from either second-round pick – Devin Smith and Christian Hackenberg. The best move he made this year was signing Robby Anderson as an undrafted free agent. Anderson has been better than all of his draft picks.

Jets fans deserve to hear from Maccagnan. The problems with this team go beyond coaching. It’s time for him to take some of the blame for this mess.

I have been critical of Bowles’ defenses this year, but Saturday night was an illustration of how handcuffed he is by personnel. Bowles is known as a third-down blitzer. But to do that, you need cornerbacks who can lock up receivers. Bowles dialed up a “Cover Zero” blitz against the Dolphins, meaning there is no safety help. Kenny Stills ran right by rookie Juston Burris for the 52-yard touchdown. We have seen it time and time again this season whether it is Darrelle Revis, Marcus Williams, Darryl Roberts, whoever is at corner.

[/url]

The Jets need a complete overhaul in the secondary this offseason. Maccagnan has to find some cornerbacks who will allow Bowles to play his style of defense.

That being said, Bowles needs to be able to adjust better. He knows what he has at cornerback. They can’t be left alone out there. It might not be his style to play Cover 2 or Cover 3 with safety help, but he has to with his current personnel.

2. Bryce Petty showed a lot of guts again. He hung in there when he was under siege behind a leaky offensive line. But Petty did not play well. Those who are saying they are encouraged by the way he played are seeing what they want to see because they want to believe he is the answer at quarterback.

You can see now why the Jets were reluctant to move on from Ryan Fitzpatrick last month and turn to Petty. He is still struggling to read defenses. He checked down a ton to Bilal Powell on Saturday night, which worked to some degree, but he looked really shaky on anything that was not just a timing throw. You can’t see him progressing through reads.

I think Petty will be a good backup quarterback. I’m still not sure he can be a starter, though.

3. Jets fans should not lose sight of the brilliance of Leonard Williams in all the misery of this season. Williams is playing at such a high level that it is fun to watch him every week. You don’t always say that about an interior defensive lineman.

Williams controlled the line of scrimmage at the beginning of the game, and the Dolphins could not run the ball. He deserves Pro Bowl consideration, but he is going to be hurt by being categorized as a defensive end instead of a defensive tackle. He is going to be grouped with 4-3 defensive ends who will have more gaudy sack statistics than him.

Revealing stat: The Dolphins only ran 48 plays, and they scored 34 points. That does not seem possible. A special teams blunder (another one), and touchdown passes of 52 and 66 yards mean you don’t have to control the ball very much to win.

Surprising snap count: Matt Forte played 13 snaps on a torn meniscus. He left last week’s game with the knee injury and did not practice much during the week. Forte’s contract dictates that he will be on the team next year. Why not just shut him down and let him heal?

Game ball: Bilal Powell, Forte’s replacement, had his second straight big game. He had 16 rushes for 84 yards and caught 11 passes for 78 yards in the game. Powell’s play over the past two weeks makes you wonder why he has not played more all season.

Spoiler

I thought the title was referring to Woody.

Mac is looking for the wrong players.   But Mac and Bowles need a new boss.  Mac and Bowles have been making each other worse.  Mac takes developmental players, but Woody does not give Bowles the budget or mandate to develop them.   Someone is telling the two of them to keep and play players who are not good, but are either being paid or were drafted.

The Fish Rots from the Head First.

I don't know about this. Macc inherited a crappy team. It was bad. And, those who were good, were old. 2 of our OL were old, and the rest not very good.

We needed a 3-4 year rebuild. In order to make it less painful to the team and fans, he tried to stay competitive while doing it. Last year it worked, we were lucky with the veterans playing above themselves (like Fitz), and easy schedule and much fewer injuries.

He tried to hold the magic together for another year (like Mike T did once too many times). It clearly didn't work. Couple vets being a year older, Brick retiring, Fitz and Marshall not having the magic, and too many injuries and we have this season.

As far as spending all of the money, most of the deals Macc put together are really 2 year deals (it appears that Mo's big deal is that way as well). This off season, he will need to spend 'all the money' again. Has Macc been brilliant - of course not. But has he been good, yeah, I think so.

There are some good FAs for the future; Carpenter being one of them.

We have picked up some great players like Leonard. There are some good young players that need to grow. We have some quality depth at WR and I am hopeful about Lee and Jenkins. We have way too many holes to fill for just a draft or two, so he will need to spend again this off season. And there will be plenty of money to spend - he saw to that.

If Petty turns out to be a good backup - he was well worth the 4th round pick. Hack is TBD.

I think 1 more off-season should determine if we are really moving in the right direction.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I will also say that his draft picks actually played okay. Burris got a pick. Shell held up pretty well at RT.

The problem is that the media and fanbase want instant stardom instead of development so they turn their attention to Williams because he is a star

I like Burris, but he got burned a bunch yesterday. All of the DBs did. Hopefully it is he is young or the coaching sucks (and will get fixed).

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

We needed a 3-4 year rebuild. In order to make it less painful to the team and fans, he tried to stay competitive while doing it.

Well, of course he tried to stay competitive. There's really no reason not to try to stay competitive.

Jets fans, myself included, are disappointed at this year's results. But I think there's no doubt, to me, that the Jets talent base has been improved. It would take more than a coach who wastes TWO timeouts on a 4th and 1 to bring more wins out of the talent the Jets currently have.

Worst thing Mac did was refuse to give Bilal Powell more playing time, especially when you look at how the offense performed last season when he became a focal point down the stretch.

19 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Well, of course he tried to stay competitive. There's really no reason not to try to stay competitive.

Jets fans, myself included, are disappointed at this year's results. But I think there's no doubt, to me, that the Jets talent base has been improved. It would take more than a coach who wastes TWO timeouts on a 4th and 1 to bring more wins out of the talent the Jets currently have.

This is a great point. Just because Charlie Casserly thinks Todd Bowles "could be" a good coach, doesn't mean he will be. Just because Bruce Ariens raves about Bowles & proceeds to out coach him & blow us out doesn't mean we are married to this guy for next year. There were games played where we actually had opportunities to snatch victory from defeat & Bowles didn't make one decision or judgement call to put us over the top. I believe that is the most telling tale of this boring cigar store Indian.

Hes completely lost the respect of the older players, that means they don't see a future here if Bowles stays. So Woody only has 2 choices, keep some veterans & fire Bowles or clean the entire overpaid veteran group including guys like Harris, not because he doesn't hustle but because he's overpaid, too slow and old & will not be a part of our future. 

Can Bowles & this staff develop young players? Woody better be asking that question. I haven't seen anything to tell me he can, I also believe Gailey is too old, and Kacey Rogers is one of the worst DCs in the league.

32 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This is a great point. Just because Charlie Casserly thinks Todd Bowles "could be" a good coach, doesn't mean he will be. Just because Bruce Ariens raves about Bowles & proceeds to out coach him & blow us out doesn't mean we are married to this guy for next year. There were games played where we actually had opportunities to snatch victory from defeat & Bowles didn't make one decision or judgement call to put us over the top. I believe that is the most telling tale of this boring cigar store Indian.

Hes completely lost the respect of the older players, that means they don't see a future here if Bowles stays. So Woody only has 2 choices, keep some veterans & fire Bowles or clean the entire overpaid veteran group including guys like Harris, not because he doesn't hustle but because he's overpaid, too slow and old & will not be a part of our future. 

Can Bowles & this staff develop young players? Woody better be asking that question. I haven't seen anything to tell me he can, I also believe Gailey is too old, and Kacey Rogers is one of the worst DCs in the league.

Some good points made here. Mostly because I've been saying this all season. :-) Bowles doesn't do anything to win games. And often does things to lose them. Personally, I don't care if he's lost the respect of veterans. They really haven't earned their salaries, IMO. Guys like Marshall, who drops so many balls and almost NEVER actually sells out to catch passes. This one-armed bullsh!t really annoys me. There's a reason he's never been to the playoffs in over 10 seasons. He's not a team player!! Richardson?! What has he done to deserve all these accolades? The 'film' I've seen of him shows a guy who has stopped playing hard many games before this team was eliminated. And, the only time the Jets DL did anything was when he was on suspension (another selfish act). I have said Harris should be let go, unfortunately, because he just can't play the position anymore at the level the Jets need him to. Revis?! unbelievable how poorly he plays. the QBR is astronomical when a QB targets his receiver. I know he's lost a step, but, wow, it's embarrassing how pathetic he plays now.

Anyway, I am upset because the Jets actually have a little more talent than they had the last couple of years. But Bowles has squandered it.

Here's an example. The Jets have a 4th and 1 in Dolphins territory. Probably outside of makeable FG range, but a punt gets you little.

• They could punt it
  • They could go for it.

Instead, they challenge the spot. and then, after that delay, they call a timeout, essentially wasting TWO timeouts. Then, on top of all that, they run into the line when they have one of the poorest run-blocking OLs and after the Dolphins have had the opportunity to set their defense, which has one of the best DLs.

A real coach would have told them to rush up to the line of scrimmage and FAKE going for it, hoping to draw the Dolphins offside, which they already had been called for TWICE. Then, if that didn't work, he would have called a timeout and FAKED running the ball into the line and run a play with an option OR thrown for it.

He really just appears in over his head.

7 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

There is plenty of blame to go around.  I HATED the Mo and Fitz signings....otherwise I thought Mac was going ok.  

I think Woody drove the Fitz signing.

i think Woody is the one who insists on exorbitant compensation for players whose contracts are expiring.

Because Woody insisted on franchising Mo, when He insisted on signing Fitz to try and fill seats,  Mo needed a new contract to make cap room for Fitz' contract.

Mac had some bad draft picks.  Some  them were driven by Woody or Bowles like no for the missing piece.   Bowles had a strong  say in some of the bad free agent signings, like Gilcrist, Skrine and Cromartie.  Forte is all Mac.

The Jets need a single football person where the buck stops.  What they have now is a bumbling triumverate.

Another hack writer in a hack writer market wanting to stir some controversy without knowing much about the sport.

And we'll have to put up with another 8 months of this crap because the Jets didn't win a Super Bowl this year after a fluke season last year when they were just as devoid of talent. 

Did I miss anything?

47 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think Woody drove the Fitz signing.

i think Woody is the one who insists on exorbitant compensation for players whose contracts are expiring.

Because Woody insisted on franchising Mo, when He insisted on signing Fitz to try and fill seats,  Mo needed a new contract to make cap room for Fitz' contract.

Mac had some bad draft picks.  Some  them were driven by Woody or Bowles like no for the missing piece.   Bowles had a strong  say in some of the bad free agent signings, like Gilcrist, Skrine and Cromartie.  Forte is all Mac.

The Jets need a single football person where the buck stops.  What they have now is a bumbling triumverate.

Nothing would make me happier than it being Woody and Bowles driving those bad decisions you've listed.  I do like having the team run by a GM/Scout.  Now if we could only find an offensive minded HC..........but I digress.  If you're correct then the GM/Scout has to put is foot down in the future and extinguish this sort of thing.     

After hearing what I heard about the Favre signing from Mangini, the rumors of the guy being too hands on/meddling, the asinine power structure he has for the two guys who are supposed to be in this rebuild together, I will never give Woody the benefit of the doubt.  If he wants to fire Bowles and hire a President of Football Operations to help Maccagnan pick a new Coach and build the team, fine...but if that pencil necked man child, who was given this team to keep him busy and away from his father's business, fires ANOTHER GM after 2 years then I will be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssseeeeedddd

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I will also say that his draft picks actually played okay. Burris got a pick. Shell held up pretty well at RT.

The problem is that the media and fanbase want instant stardom instead of development so they turn their attention to Williams because he is a star

The problem is the Jets haven't been in a SB in 45+ yrs. The fanbase is impatient and rightfully so. However, 45 yrs are not this regimes fault. Add to that the effect of social media nowadays and instant 24/7 "analysis" and it gets ugly extremely fast. 

Maccs job is to get the players.  I think he's done an decent to good job there.

Bowles job is to get the most out of whatever players he has.  In that endeavor he's failed miserably.  They're consistently unprepared, unmotivated, and ugly.  As if that weren't bad enough they also either can't grasp the D or don't care enough to try.

This seasons failure is 95% on Bowles and the coaching staff and 5% on Macc.

Just look at them play..  they're not trying.  Just collecting checks.  It's as disgusting a display as I've seen in the last 30 years.  I had my back turned to the game last night messing around with my fantasy teams.  It's just plain cringe worthy. 

14 minutes ago, Pac said:

Maccs job is to get the players.  I think he's done an decent to good job there.

Bowles job is to get the most out of whatever players he has.  In that endeavor he's failed miserably.  They're consistently unprepared, unmotivated, and ugly.  As if that weren't bad enough they also either can't grasp the D or don't care enough to try.

Just look at them play..  they're not trying.  Just collecting checks.  It's as disgusting a display as I've seen in the last 30 years.  I had my back turned to the game last night messing around with my fantasy teams.  It's just plain cringe worthy. 

Exactly, how do you play 14 games & still have horrible breakdowns in coverages? They blitz and don't cover the short hot routes or somehow Harris is caught covering a RB. Harris couldn't cover a RB last year & he's a year older. They just look unprepared the whole lot of them. That's coaching or not clearly teaching the right techniques, and obviously we've seen they might try to correct those problems in practice but it certainly doesn't translate to game day.

25 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Exactly, how do you play 14 games & still have horrible breakdowns in coverages? They blitz and don't cover the short hot routes or somehow Harris is caught covering a RB. Harris couldn't cover a RB last year & he's a year older. They just look unprepared the whole lot of them. That's coaching or not clearly teaching the right techniques, and obviously we've seen they might try to correct those problems in practice but it certainly doesn't translate to game day.

The team has been horribly coached on three sides of the ball.  It was better last year.  

If it is not better in 2017', Bowles needs to go, perhaps with Macc if the players do not look better.  Mac should be picking players for potentially the next coach.

Bowles better pray that he can hire a new and better DC to bail him out.

Someone objective needs to be their boss in 2017.   Someone smart, other than Woody.

54 minutes ago, Pac said:

The Revis contract. The Wilk contract. The QB situation. Buster Skrine. How about bringing in several players on defense that don't fit the coaches scheme? Taking a middle linebacker in the first round and a guy who can't even see the field as a second rounder? He's done some nice things, but he's been average at best and in over his head at worst. 

As far as Mac goes, he's had two years to draft in the middle of the first round. this year, he's near the top of draft. Time to draft some IMPACT PLAYERS, someone who other teams fear and have to scheme against. I'm looking at successful teams. They have fast linebackers, large corners who can cover, TEs that can catch, OL that can block at multiple levels, edge rushers, safeties who can make plays either by intercepting passes or hitting people.

Time for the Jets to draft players who make a difference.

5 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

Flawed analysis regarding Petty. He says that the teams sux and lacks talent, correct, but we should determine that Petty is going to be nothing as he is surrounded by crappy players. Dumb.

If your QB needs to be surrounded by great players then he's likely not a great QB. What leads you to believe that he's ever going to have a much better supporting cast than what he has now?

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

If your QB needs to be surrounded by great players then he's likely not a great QB. What leads you to believe that he's ever going to have a much better supporting cast than what he has now?

If he doesn't have a better cast, NO QB is going to matter. HIs OL sucks. his TEs? they don't exist. He's got a couple of WRs and the 'best' one is a total p*ssy, who drops sh!t and doesn't try to catch balls with both hands.

Please...this offensive personnel is barely better than it was two years ago when it was the worst in football.

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

If he doesn't have a better cast, NO QB is going to matter. HIs OL sucks. his TEs? they don't exist. He's got a couple of WRs and the 'best' one is a total p*ssy, who drops sh!t and doesn't try to catch balls with both hands.

Please...this offensive personnel is barely better than it was two years ago when it was the worst in football.

and what leads you to believe it's going to get better? If he can't do it with the players on the field then he can't do it.

3 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

After reading that they both need to go.

Woody  - get you mind out of Trump's Butt and pull the trigger on these two.

THEN SELL THE TEAM while you are at it.

Then Dance with the Devil.

Just End The Season.

Wish I saw the Jets win at home this season.

I missed the Raven Win.

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

and what leads you to believe it's going to get better? If he can't do it with the players on the field then he can't do it.

Sorry, that argument seems absurd. Troy Aikman did it because he had the best OL in football, one of the best RBs in football, and receivers that were among the best in football. QB can't do everything. He's a part of a UNIT, not the start and end of it.

Ozzie Newsome, Bill Polian, and John Elway combined couldn't have fixed the mess of a roster Macc inherited.  What a terrible article.

Costello (the author) rips on Macc because Devin Smith got hurt - WTF?! who could predict that?  And ignores that Hackenberg was drafted to be redshirted - it's called developing a young QB - a smart thing to do considering the track record with throwing Sanchez and Geno into the fire.

L. Williams is a potential gold jacket draft pick.  He struck gold in an UDFA in Robby Anderson.  Almost all his picks are cooking, it's unfair and impossible to judge at this point.

It's so easy to whine but the author offers no alternatives that Macc should've done.  Did I miss when a starting LT fell off a tree, how about an entire starting O-Line.  I guess Mac should've just made fifteen Brandon Marshall trades to fill out the roster.  Because those deals, 5th rounders for upper level talent happen everyday.

I get everyone deserves heat for this dumpster fire but we need to give Macc 5 years.  I think he's the right guy for the job and think it's impossible to judge a GM in 2-3 years.  And the off-season is the GM's time to be in the spotlight, right now it's Bowles'.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Revis contract. The Wilk contract. The QB situation. Buster Skrine. How about bringing in several players on defense that don't fit the coaches scheme? Taking a middle linebacker in the first round and a guy who can't even see the field as a second rounder? He's done some nice things, but he's been average at best and in over his head at worst. 

You really think Bowles wasn't on board w/the Lee pick?  C'mon. And let's give Lee more than a yr. He's still developing 

The REvis contract, the Wilk Contract, The QB situation Buster Skrine.

Why is Buster Skrine being castigated? Everyone knows he doesn't have the size to play outside and he was brought in to play the slot, which he mostly did ok.

The Revis contract, I really have no problem with. Nor the Wilkerson contract. I think the Jets got a lot out of Revis and can let him go soon with little impact. Some say he may play safety, which I believe he has been trying out this year while playing corner. ;-)  I think Wilkerson will be better next year, when Richardson is gone.

Really, ALL of these signings and situations have led to the Jets being in a very advantageous position in this draft and offseason. How we got there is less important than where we are, which I think is better than we were two years ago.

7 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I don't know about this. Macc inherited a crappy team. It was bad. And, those who were good, were old. 2 of our OL were old, and the rest not very good.

We needed a 3-4 year rebuild. In order to make it less painful to the team and fans, he tried to stay competitive while doing it. Last year it worked, we were lucky with the veterans playing above themselves (like Fitz), and easy schedule and much fewer injuries.

He tried to hold the magic together for another year (like Mike T did once too many times). It clearly didn't work. Couple vets being a year older, Brick retiring, Fitz and Marshall not having the magic, and too many injuries and we have this season.

As far as spending all of the money, most of the deals Macc put together are really 2 year deals (it appears that Mo's big deal is that way as well). This off season, he will need to spend 'all the money' again. Has Macc been brilliant - of course not. But has he been good, yeah, I think so.

There are some good FAs for the future; Carpenter being one of them.

We have picked up some great players like Leonard. There are some good young players that need to grow. We have some quality depth at WR and I am hopeful about Lee and Jenkins. We have way too many holes to fill for just a draft or two, so he will need to spend again this off season. And there will be plenty of money to spend - he saw to that.

If Petty turns out to be a good backup - he was well worth the 4th round pick. Hack is TBD.

I think 1 more off-season should determine if we are really moving in the right direction.

Well said

Mac may still turn out to be good ... And he may be bad ... That is yet to be determined.

the big problem was looking to rebuild in 2017 & trying one last run in 2016 on the old horses still in the stable ... It blew up in his & Bowles faces.

Bowles himself has had a lot more headscratchers on his watch ... He has done enough poorly to be let go imo

Archived