The 5th Win? Do the Jets Seek Another Garbage Time Victory?

varjet

I think we all agree that the Jets will lose to the Cheaters.  The hope is that no one gets hurt.  Like with Devin Smith last year, injuries now could creep into the 2017 season.  

With Rex potentially if not actually being fired in Buffalo, and Bowles, Woody and others still smarting over the Bills beating the Jets last year and knocking them out of the playoffs (which, honestly cost Fitz alot of money and could get many their jobs either next month or next year), there will be temptation to try and win that game.

The Bills may also try and win, or they may try and lose to get a better draft pick since they are out of the playoffs, again.

I was all for trying to beat the 49ers and even the Dolphins with Petty.  Petty should try and get some good practice against the Cheaters (quick passes please), but I am having a tough time seeing the benefit of beating the Bills.  I think beating the Bills could be the difference between Peppers/Fournette and some guy we never heard of.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I will never understand how a Jet fan can root for the team to lose.  I can see not being upset uif we lose and seeing the positives but openly rooting?  makes no sense.

I'd like to see young players play really well, and for us to lose the rest of the games. Just being honest. Winning those games does nothing good for me, I don't get excited when they win meaningless games at all, and I'd rather have higher draft slots throughout the draft. 

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I'd like to see young players play really well, and for us to lose the rest of the games. Just being honest. Winning those games does nothing good for me, I don't get excited when they win meaningless games at all, and I'd rather have higher draft slots throughout the draft. 

fans tend to overrate the draft, we only get 16 reg season games.  the chances are we are losing these next 2 weeks, why would I want to root for the other team? I won't be annoyed when they lose like Buffalo last year but I will always root for a win.  

56 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think we all agree that the Jets will lose to the Cheaters.  The hope is that no one gets hurt.  Like with Devin Smith last year, injuries now could creep into the 2017 season.  

With Rex potentially if not actually being fired in Buffalo, and Bowles, Woody and others still smarting over the Bills beating the Jets last year and knocking them out of the playoffs (which, honestly cost Fitz alot of money and could get many their jobs either next month or next year), there will be temptation to try and win that game.

The Bills may also try and win, or they may try and lose to get a better draft pick since they are out of the playoffs, again.

I was all for trying to beat the 49ers and even the Dolphins with Petty.  Petty should try and get some good practice against the Cheaters (quick passes please), but I am having a tough time seeing the benefit of beating the Bills.  I think beating the Bills could be the difference between Peppers/Fournette and some guy we never heard of.

there's a real probem brewing.  players get hurt when they don't play.  by this i mean that if they are more liable to get injured if they don't tackle right or execute the plays the way they are supposed to.

as for the patsies, this is one of the first games in a very long time where i'd say they have very little chance of winning.  they may not have a good record against the brady patsies but at least they played hard and were competitive in just about every game.  this game, i'm not so sure.

Just now, nyjunc said:

fans tend to overrate the draft, we only get 16 reg season games.  the chances are we are losing these next 2 weeks, why would I want to root for the other team? I won't be annoyed when they lose like Buffalo last year but I will always root for a win.  

heres the way I look at it.... If you want to move up a few slots in the draft becasue you like a player, it usually cost a draft pick to do. The higher the round, the higher the draft pick. I'd rather have draft picks than meaningless wins. I understand rooting for a win, I just don't do it once the wins are totally meaningless. To be fair, if I really believed Petty was the future, I'd probably be rooting for wins becasue I think it would be good for his development. But I don't think Petty is going to be the guy. Not because he is not able to, but because I am pretty sure they are signing someone as a free agent to be the starter next year.

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

heres the way I look at it.... If you want to move up a few slots in the draft becasue you like a player, it usually cost a draft pick to do. The higher the round, the higher the draft pick. I'd rather have draft picks than meaningless wins. I understand rooting for a win, I just don't do it once the wins are totally meaningless. To be fair, if I really believed Petty was the future, I'd probably be rooting for wins becasue I think it would be good for his development. But I don't think Petty is going to be the guy. Not because he is not able to, but because I am pretty sure they are signing someone as a free agent to be the starter next year.

That's fair, the way I look at it is I can't control if we win or lose so I am going to root for them to win.  If they win ok, if they lose ok.  

20 minutes ago, rangerous said:

there's a real probem brewing.  players get hurt when they don't play.  by this i mean that if they are more liable to get injured if they don't tackle right or execute the plays the way they are supposed to.

as for the patsies, this is one of the first games in a very long time where i'd say they have very little chance of winning.  they may not have a good record against the brady patsies but at least they played hard and were competitive in just about every game.  this game, i'm not so sure.

We have as much hope beating the PATS as I do having sex with Mila Kunis.  In fact, probably worse.  Id LOVE to see it. (either one :))  let the draft pick be damned but I live in a real world not one of hope, ifs,  etc.  I dont see us beating anyone the next 2 weeks. Would Love to see Petty light it up either week.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

This is dumb - of course both teams are going to try to win.  In fact, the Bills are going to try crazy hard to win, in what's likely Rex's last game.

What, is Rex going to throw the game, so that the next coach can have a better draft position??

Just now, Happy Clouds said:

I think Todd Bowles will push all of the right buttons, and proudly lead us to 2 convincing wins to end the season. 

But remember, if I were walking into a bar, I also think it would be a great idea to have Sheldon Richardson as my "wingman".

Sheldon will be looking for da ho's while you are getting beat and robbed.

44 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I will never understand how a Jet fan can root for the team to lose.  I can see not being upset uif we lose and seeing the positives but openly rooting?  makes no sense.

It's about context, for me.

If this team is resigned to quit, Petty digresses, and still wins because they are worse at dumping a game than their opponent? Then I'll be upset. Like I was years ago when they couldn't even lose the right way.

If the team comes out, shows fire, and Petty takes a step forward as a QB... then I'll be ecstatic and would enjoy the win. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

How many of these threads do we need?  someone who wants to lose for the outside chance we draft someone who we probably won't draft only to have fans reply that you play to win the game.

Fans screamed to lose for Reggie Bush, called Herm an idiot.  Perfect example of why tanking doesn't mean squat without a can't miss player sitting there.  Even if it's the greatest RB prospect of the last 100 years

Good feedback, and let me stand corrected.  

You play to win the game.

In week 17, the Jets should not be playing players they plan on cutting.   Play the future.  Coach them to win.  They should play to win.  We should accept however it turns out.

But maybe Macdougal plays and not Revis.  Maybe Carter finally and not Harris.  Smith and not Marshall.  Play their hearts out.   But to play the washed up veterans and lose the draft pick is a waste.  

Play the kids, and play to win. 

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It's about context, for me.

If this team is resigned to quit, Petty digresses, and still wins because they are worse at dumping a game than their opponent? Then I'll be upset. Like I was years ago when they couldn't even lose the right way.

If the team comes out, shows fire, and Petty takes a step forward as a QB... then I'll be ecstatic and would enjoy the win. 

The ironic thing is, we're right back in a similar situation.  Breaking in a young QB.  I'm of the opinion that they need to learn how to win.  (cue the ilk jokes) but if Petty has a real shot at starting next season, I'd like to see him come out, progress and kick some Cheatriot ass. 

And this isnt 2014 with 2 potential franchise QB's headlining the draft.  This is one of those years that it really doesnt matter if you're the 1st or 6th.

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

The ironic thing is, we're right back in a similar situation.  Breaking in a young QB.  I'm of the opinion that they need to learn how to win.  (cue the ilk jokes) but if Petty has a real shot at starting next season, I'd like to see him come out, progress and kick some Cheatriot ass. 

And this isnt 2014 with 2 potential franchise QB's headlining the draft.  This is one of those years that it really doesnt matter if you're the 1st or 6th.

Even if we lose..would love to see him read the defense well, make a few good throws, a few good drives, build his and our confidence.  He's as big as Rothlesberger. Would love some QB play like that for 10 years.

I have expected the jets, the players coaches, everyone to show some pride and step up with a good game the last half of this season.  It ain't happening.

We will play well for a quarter and then get rolled by the Pats.  The Bills will be motivated to try and help Rex and the Bills will crush the Jets.

I would be genuinely shocked it we cam within 17 points in either game.

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yup.

Beat the Pats. **** them. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I can't root for them to lose, but I do know once this deadful season ends, the more losses we have the better off we will be in the draft.. 

I'm looking for a few things 

1) 6 quarters of good football from Petty. This means a more consistent level of play about equal to his Miami first half or San Fran second half.

2) Shell to lock down the rt spot. Blown assignments apart Shell did well against the dolphins. Play that well again and we might have one less player to draft.

3) Another running back. Don't hurt Powell.

4) Marshall to be benched. He's checked out and we need to see something from Smith.

if those happen and we happen to win a game then I have no issue with that. Just don't win 2 games.

7 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Your alternate universe self that watched the Jets lose to the Dolphins that last game a couple of years ago and as a result has enjoyed Odell Beckham Jr light up games instead of Calvin Pryor whif in coverage every game is laughing his ass off at you.

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I don't think we all agree at all that we will lose to the Cheaters. It would not surprise me if the Cheaters handed us the game knowing that a win could mean we draft 7 or 8 slots later .

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Not as long as they are fighting for home field advantage through out the playoffs 

9 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Your alternate universe self that watched the Jets lose to the Dolphins that last game a couple of years ago and as a result has enjoyed Odell Beckham Jr light up games instead of Calvin Pryor whif in coverage every game is laughing his ass off at you.

Who's to say we'd have taken OBJ had we had the chance? You know what Rex thought of WRs.

Maybe in the alternative universe, we got the higher pick, and still took Pryor ... making us even more bitter and twisted about CHOOSING to pass on the guy. ;-) 

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Who's to say we'd have taken OBJ had we had the chance? You know what Rex thought of WRs.

Maybe in the alternative universe, we got the higher pick, and still took Pryor ... making us even more bitter and twisted about CHOOSING to pass on the guy. ;-) 

That last game was at the Dolphins playing for a playoff spot. Of course Geno has a career game with a perfect QB rating. That one win cost 6-7 spots in the draft bec we lost every tie breaker to all the teams that were one game below us. They would have picked one spot ahead of the Giants and would have taken OBJ. Why? Bec I payed attention and all the sources before the draft were saying the Jets top pick would be OBJ if they could get him.

That throw away game no one cared about was a franchise defining catastrophe worse than the lose against the bills that cost the playoffs. That win gives us a week maybe 2 of excitement in the playoffs. The  Geno "win" cost us 10 years of having the best WR in the league. 

Archived