All Coaching Rumors here please..

NYJ37/12

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hope this bailing out by hurtt isn't something that's going to go on for much longer.  maybe the jets have some assistants targetted but until they sign on the dotted line it doesn't mean a thing.  there really needs to be some intervention if this keeps up much longer, probably from woody.  one of the head coaches requirements is to have a good network of people throughout the league to help fill out these positions. 

18 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i hope this bailing out by hurtt isn't something that's going to go on for much longer.  maybe the jets have some assistants targetted but until they sign on the dotted line it doesn't mean a thing.  there really needs to be some intervention if this keeps up much longer, probably from woody.  one of the head coaches requirements is to have a good network of people throughout the league to help fill out these positions. 

You can know all the names that would fill out the alphabet, but if the money is funny, the coach's going elsewhere . 1st and foremost, this is the job they do to take care of their families . It's all about the deal .

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

You can know all the names that would fill out the alphabet, but if the money is funny, the coach's going elsewhere . 1st and foremost, this is the job they do to take care of their families . It's all about the deal .

that's what i mean.  woody and/or mac need to step in and make sure these assistants have some assurance they aren't going to be left hanging if bowles is launched.  bowles has thus far shown he's not above making some whole sale changes in the way he launched his coaches.  now will the jets do the same in riddingthemselves of some underachieving players.

1 hour ago, DMan77 said:

We kinda need to start filling some positions here... They are borderline taking way too long to do this... Another 2-3 weeks and it's going to look outright ridiculous that there are this many spots still open. 

I think we should do like NBC (I think) once did with an announcerless telecast -- Coachless football. We basically had that last season anyway but think about it, we can reinvent the entire world of football by going totally coachless. Let the players figure it out every game by themselves. LOL

Most of these OC candidates are guys who have been fired somewhere. Usually a number of times. So it's not big deal not having a guy in place at this time. I do think that Bowles maybe being a lame duck HC might have a factor in getting someone to take this job. Personally I always found an inconsistency in Gailey's game calling. And the offense he presented on the field. Even in 2015 when he got a lot of credit for improvement I was never crazy about what I saw in terms of a plan and scheme. 

One thing to remember is that college football signing day is February 1st.  If, and I don't know if this is the case or not, the Jets are looking at a college coch, they may want to wait until after signing day to make the announcement. For example, former Jets DL coach Karl Dunbar is the DL coach at Bama and it wouldn't surprise me to see him take an NFL job after signing day either with us or elsewhere 

7 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

One thing to remember is that college football signing day is February 1st.  If, and I don't know if this is the case or not, the Jets are looking at a college coch, they may want to wait until after signing day to make the announcement. For example, former Jets DL coach Karl Dunbar is the DL coach at Bama and it wouldn't surprise me to see him take an NFL job after signing day either with us or elsewhere 

So what you're doing is telling a kid that if he comes to your program, he'll get coached by this guy and after the kid signs, the coach leaves  ?   I don't think I would want to deal with a character like that, but what do I know  . 

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

So what you're doing is telling a kid that if he comes to your program, he'll get coached by this guy and after the kid signs, the coach leaves  ?   I don't think I would want to deal with a character like that, but what do I know  . 

That happens all the time

So I just brought up a name for OC in another thread that came to me this morning that would make sense:  What about Brian Billick as oc? As the HC of the Vikings in 98 they set the NFL scoring record and he did wonders with Culpepper at the QB position.  The  guy is only 62, SB winner with the Ravens, and has been trying to get his chance again coaching  Why not hire him, see what he can do with Hackenberg or another young QB.  Worse case scenario if we end up cleaning house he either goes back to analyst which he does a good job with or he gets his opportunity as HC somewhere. 

3 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

So I just brought up a name for OC in another thread that came to me this morning that would make sense:  What about Brian Billick as oc? As the HC of the Vikings in 98 they set the NFL scoring record and he did wonders with Culpepper at the QB position.  The  guy is only 62, SB winner with the Ravens, and has been trying to get his chance again coaching  Why not hire him, see what he can do with Hackenberg or another young QB.  Worse case scenario if we end up cleaning house he either goes back to analyst which he does a good job with or he gets his opportunity as HC somewhere. 

I mean hey, it wouldn't hurt to inquire but unfortunately I don't see the Jets really appealing to him... He finished up in what? 2007? I imagine he's pretty darn comfortable at this point both in retirement and as a tv/radio guest and commentator... It would take an awful lot of money and the right team to pull him back into the spotlight... I don't see it happening, but I'm down for the Jets to explore every option. 

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Source tells that have hired former defensive line coach Robert Nunn for the same position.

Awesome... Bowles is replacing all the scapegoats on his staff with coaches from the Browns and Rams. What's next? Is Trump going to start giving all his cabinet spots to unqualified loons with deep pockets?

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Isn't he the same person who told us about Hurtt 

I think so, although the difference is that Hurtt actually had a position in place (Bears) and chose to leave it. Nunn just got fired yesterday from the Browns.

DT coach for Green Bay from 2005-2008

DL coach for Tampa Bay in 2009

DL coach for the Giants from 2010-2015

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think so, although the difference is that Hurtt actually had a position in place and chose to leave it. Nunn just got fired yesterday from the Browns.

Oh dear I wonder what's going to happen...

16 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Source tells that have hired former defensive line coach Robert Nunn for the same position.

Bowles is outsmarting the rest of the NFL-rather than trying to find coaches from well-run teams like the Steelers, Packers, Patriots or Seahawks, he is going where no one else looks.  Pretty smart thinking.

14 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think so, although the difference is that Hurtt actually had a position in place (Bears) and chose to leave it. Nunn just got fired yesterday from the Browns.

Browns have new DC Greg Williams. He wants his own guys.

Archived