All Coaching Rumors here please..

NYJ37/12

A QB eight years ago, Matt Nagy has been on the coaching fast track since

Jan 22, 2016

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Matt Nagy is eight years removed from being a quarterback for the Columbus Destroyers of the Arena League. Seven years ago, he was the offensive coordinator for the Palmyra Area High School Cougars in Pennsylvania.

Nagy, 37, has been on the coaching fast track ever since. Three years as an offensive assistant to Andy Reid with the Philadelphia Eagles and three more with Reid with the Kansas City Chiefs as quarterbacks coach and now he’s one of the Chiefs’ offensive coordinators. He will share the job with Brad Childress.

Nagy had to show Reid a lot to make a rapid climb like that.

“Matt’s got a nice feel for the game," Reid said. “He was a player, obviously, in the Arena League. And then we brought him on board. Some guys have a knack for it and he’s one of those guys. I’ve noticed with his participation that he’s got a pretty good grasp of the offense and defenses in this league. I think that presents a nice addition to that position.”

Nagy got into coaching not exactly by accident, but if not for connections he might be selling real estate in the Philadelphia area. Nagy played in college at Delaware, where one of his teammates was Brett Veach.

Veach is now the Chiefs’ co-director of player personnel, but in 2008 was an assistant coach for Reid with the Eagles. Veach got Nagy a coaching internship with the Eagles that year, when he was still playing in the Arena League.

Then the Arena League folded and Nagy, without a job other than as an assistant coach in high school, took to selling real estate. Veach got him another internship with the Eagles and this time, when it was over, Reid offered him an entry-level coaching job.

A few short years later, along with Childress, Nagy will help the Chiefs design a playbook, devise a plan for games and perhaps occasionally call a few plays.

“Everything just goes by so fast and you take it day by day and year by year and you don’t really put a timeline on yourself as to when things will happen," Nagy said. “Now, as I look back, I just feel very fortunate I’ve had a great six years with [Reid] and being able to really learn from him and it helped make me a better coach.”

Since joining the Chiefs in 2013, Nagy has been the daily presence working with the quarterbacks, including the starter, Alex Smith. His work with Smith impressed Reid and for that, Nagy credits his playing career.

“I was fortunate enough to play the quarterback position, really all my life, so I have the ability to know certain situations they’re in when they’re in the pocket sliding to the left, sliding to the right," he said. “The vision that you see is a little bit different than what you get with the bird’s-eye view up in the box. So I think for me, my biggest role is to give them another set of eyes and ears to listen to what they see, and then be able to put it all together and be able to fix any corrections and continue to build on their strengths.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/15799/a-qb-eight-years-ago-matt-nagy-has-been-on-the-coaching-fast-track-ever-since

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini

From what I understand, the Jets have at least three other names on their target list. Keep an eye on Matt Nagy, the Chiefs' co-offensive coordinator. Obviously, they can't talk to Nagy because the Chiefs still are playing, but he's someone who could interest Bowles.

Nagy isn't a household name, but he's considered an up-and-comer. Before being promoted to co-coordinator this season -- he splits the job with Brad Childress -- Nagy was the Chiefs' quarterbacks coach for two years. He and Bowles crossed paths in 2012, when they were on Andy Reid's staff with the Eagles. Actually, the family connection goes back further than that. Nagy's father, Bill, was one of Bowles' high school coaches in Elizabeth, New Jersey.

Nagy's background with quarterbacks (he played the position at Delaware and for several seasons in the Arena Football League) would have to be appealing to Bowles. Because of league rules, the Chiefs don't have to let Nagy out of his contract, so they could block the Jets from talking to him.

That's what happened to the Jets with Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo. He was their No. 1 target, but Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie put the kibosh on it. The Jets also showed interest in Raiders quarterbacks coach Todd Downing, prompting the Raiders to promote him to coordinator.

A lot of people are asking about Norv Turner. He's obviously qualified, but the downside is that he's 65 and could be seen as a short-term solution. Plus, let's be honest: The Jets' vacancy isn't all that attractive to a high-profile coach like Turner.

In eight days, teams will start heading to Mobile, Alabama, for the Senior Bowl. I think Bowles would like to make a hire before then, but that could depend on the outcome of this weekend's games.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66368/jets-continue-coordinator-search-as-broncos-assistant-stays-put

Don't know a lot about Nagy, but considering KC does not have an elite QB but does have an efficient offense, he may be an interesting choice. Again don't know a lot about him.

Nagy was 15-1 4th favorite on my initial odds on the next Jets offensive coordinator 

• Mke McCoy Denver OC 9-1
  • Doug Marrone Jaguars HC 10-1
  • Greg Roman Redskins Asst 11-1
  • Matt Nagy - Chiefs Co-OC 15-1
  • Joe Philbin Ex-Dolphins HC 17-1
  • Ken Whisenhunt Ex-Cardinals 19-1
  • Karl Dorrell  Jets WR Coach 20-1
  • FIELD 21-1
  • Norv Turner 23-1
  • Tom Clements Packers QB Coach 24-1
  • Bill Lazor Bengals QB Coach 28-1
  • Greg Knapp  Broncos QB Coach30-1
  • Chip Kelly 33-1
  • Frank Cignetti Jr Giant Coach 35-1
  • Matt Cavanaugh 37-1
  • Brian Daboll Cheaters TE Coach 38-1
  • Joe Moorhead Penn State OC 40-1
  • Mike Bloomgren Stanfords OC 44-1
  • Nathaniel Hacket 46-1
  • Bill O'BrienRetained By Texans 52-1 
  • Danny Langsdorf Nebraska OC 55-1
  • Mark Helfrich Ex-Oregon HC 58-1
  • Mark Whipple UMASS HC 62-1
  • Mike Bajakian  Bucs QB Coach 65-1

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini

From what I understand, the Jets have at least three other names on their target list. Keep an eye on Matt Nagy, the Chiefs' co-offensive coordinator. Obviously, they can't talk to Nagy because the Chiefs still are playing, but he's someone who could interest Bowles.

Nagy isn't a household name, but he's considered an up-and-comer. Before being promoted to co-coordinator this season -- he splits the job with Brad Childress -- Nagy was the Chiefs' quarterbacks coach for two years. He and Bowles crossed paths in 2012, when they were on Andy Reid's staff with the Eagles. Actually, the family connection goes back further than that. Nagy's father, Bill, was one of Bowles' high school coaches in Elizabeth, New Jersey.

Nagy's background with quarterbacks (he played the position at Delaware and for several seasons in the Arena Football League) would have to be appealing to Bowles. Because of league rules, the Chiefs don't have to let Nagy out of his contract, so they could block the Jets from talking to him.

That's what happened to the Jets with Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo. He was their No. 1 target, but Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie put the kibosh on it. The Jets also showed interest in Raiders quarterbacks coach Todd Downing, prompting the Raiders to promote him to coordinator.

A lot of people are asking about Norv Turner. He's obviously qualified, but the downside is that he's 65 and could be seen as a short-term solution. Plus, let's be honest: The Jets' vacancy isn't all that attractive to a high-profile coach like Turner.

In eight days, teams will start heading to Mobile, Alabama, for the Senior Bowl. I think Bowles would like to make a hire before then, but that could depend on the outcome of this weekend's games.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66368/jets-continue-coordinator-search-as-broncos-assistant-stays-put

Thanks for doing this beloved . Just do what you do and forget about the garbage . It has the stench of garbage .

36 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I'm cool with an Andy Reid disciple. 

I really don't mean to be a downer, but wasn't Marty Mornhinweg an Andy Reid disciple. And he wasn't one of our better offensive coordinators. That being said, Nagy's background looks pretty solid.

31 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

I really don't mean to be a downer, but wasn't Marty Mornhinweg an Andy Reid disciple. And he wasn't one of our better offensive coordinators. That being said, Nagy's background looks pretty solid.

Who ever we hire, the bottomline is we need a QB!

59 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

In fairness to Mornhinweg, he was given Geno Smith to work with at QB, and a receiving corps made up of fringe players and street free agents.  Anyone would have failed under those circumstances. 

13 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

In fairness to Mornhinweg, he was given Geno Smith to work with at QB, and a receiving corps made up of fringe players and street free agents.  Anyone would have failed under those circumstances. 

Very valid points. But, this year with Baltimore, Mornhinweg  was promoted from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator. However,  there was some talk that they were not thrilled with the job he did, and they have Joe Flacco. Maybe that's why they just hired Greg Roman as an offensive assistant coach....you know....just in case.

By rule, teams can block position coaches from interviewing for coordinator jobs. The Jets were blocked from talking to Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo. From what I hear, it'll be the same result if they submit a request for Chiefs co-coordinator Matt Nagy, who could be on their wish list. They interviewed Broncos running backs coach Eric Studesville, but he opted to stay put. What does that tell you?

If I were Bowles, I'd take a look at Bills quarterbacks coach David Lee, who served in the same position for the Jets under Rex Ryan (2013-14). Lee worked with Bowles in Dallas and Miami, and he's known as an excellent teacher of fundamentals. They need a guy like that to fix Christian Hackenberg.

Bowles' choice could impact free agency. Aside from money, quarterbacks look for a friendly system and a strong coordinator. Bowles' options are dwindling, and the clock is ticking.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66380/a-hidden-positive-from-jets-awful-season-hint-think-green

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

If #Chiefs lose, co-OC Brad Childress could be coaching his last game in KC. Sources say he’s a top target for #Bills OC, as is Greg Olson.

If Brad Childress left #Chiefs for BUF, KC is in good position. Co-OC Matt Nagy could take over as full-time OC after a year of sharing it.

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

If #Chiefs lose, co-OC Brad Childress could be coaching his last game in KC. Sources say he’s a top target for #Bills OC, as is Greg Olson.

If Brad Childress left #Chiefs for BUF, KC is in good position. Co-OC Matt Nagy could take over as full-time OC after a year of sharing it.

Nagy watch was fun while it lasted 

Albert Breer‏ @AlbertBreer

A rising future coordinator to watch: Lions QBs coach Brian Callahan. Detroit has blocked him from taking at least one interview this month.

A former walk-on quarterback at UCLA, His father, Bill, is currently the offensive line coach for the Washington Redskins.

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Albert Breer‏ @AlbertBreer

A rising future coordinator to watch: Lions QBs coach Brian Callahan. Detroit has blocked him from taking at least one interview this month.

Gee, I wonder who that might have been? Congrats, Woody, you've made this place about as desirable as North Korea.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Gee, I wonder who that might have been? Congrats, Woody, you've made this place about as desirable as North Korea.

What?

Their current teams are blocking the chance for other teams to even interview these guys..Detroit probably wants a fall back option for next season should their current OC get a HC'ing gig...Years ago Jets blocked Oakland from talking to Dennis Thurman for DC while he was the DB coach

So how is that a reflection on the Jets?

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

What?

Their current teams are blocking the chance for other teams to even interview these guys..Detroit probably wants a fall back option for next season should their current OC get a HC'ing gig...Years ago Jets blocked Oakland from talking to Dennis Thurman for DC while he was the DB coach

So how is that a reflection on the Jets?

I get the bit about teams protecting good young talent. It's the fact that any good, experienced guys ( McCoy, Turner, etc) won't even take the call. Woody has created such a dysfunctional mess here that nobody with a proven track record wants anything to do with us. Would you want to work for him?

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

I get the bit about teams protecting good young talent. it's the fact that any good, experienced guys ( McCoy, Turner, etc) won't even take the call. Woody has created such a dysfunctional mess here that nobody with a proven track record wants anything to do with us. Would you want to work for him?

Who said McCoy or Turner were even called let alone didn't take it.

Yet two respected defensive coaches, who could have gone elsewhere, took the call and signed on. One (Hurtt), who happened to be blocked by his former team last season, from going to Miami.  He also, reportedly, was considering offers from other team before coming to the Jets last week

Whats the dysfunctional mess? GM & HC both reporting to him?  News flash, he's not the only owner that has this structure. And NOBODY was mentioning or bitching about it last season OR when Mcc & Bowles were hired.

39 minutes ago, section314 said:

Where do you get this from?  Seems to me if Detroit doesn't want him talking to us it's because the job is desirable and he'll take it.  

9 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Yet two respected defensive coaches, who could have gone elsewhere, took the call and signed on. One (Hurtt), who happened to be blocked by his former team last season, from going to Miami.  He also, reportedly, was considering offers from other team before coming to the Jets last week

Whats the dysfunctional mess? GM & HC both reporting to him?  News flash, he's not the only owner that has this structure. And NOBODY was mentioning or bitching about it last season OR when Mcc & Bowles were hired.

You have far more connections in the league than I do or anyone else on this site. Take an informal poll of people in the know of what the perception of the Jets is around the league.I'll bet it's far from flattering. You are one of the best posters around, but I couldn't disagree with you more strongly on this.

14 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Which other team has the HC and GM equally reporting to the owner (where the HC is not the GM that is)? Last year we were happy with Mac and Bubba Gump Bowltite because we thought real NFL guys (Casserly and Wolf) knew WTF they were talking about. The past 6 months has proven otherwise. 10-6 last year was a mirage as they failed to win the most important game and this season was nothing but a display of utter incompetence.

The truth is we don't know if Bowles did call more established OC candidates or if he is focusing on up and comers/positional coaches that can grow in the organization.   I believe Bowles speaks in the senior bowl which is coming up.  So we may get a better view on what he is thinking by then.

7 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Which other team has the HC and GM equally reporting to the owner (where the HC is not the GM that is)? Last year we were happy with Mac and Bubba Gump Bowltite because we thought real NFL guys (Casserly and Wolf) knew WTF they were talking about. The past 6 months has proven otherwise. 10-6 last year was a mirage as they failed to win the most important game and this season was nothing but a display of utter incompetence.

There are a bunch of teams that have the head coach and gm directly report to the owner, the Giants being one off the top of my head. I'll leave it to somebody else to point out the bunch of other teams.

The organizational structure is not the problem. The problem is we don't have a quarterback and thus have nothing to try and build around. We will chase our tails until we find our savior.

Archived