All Coaching Rumors here please..

NYJ37/12

22 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think so, although the difference is that Hurtt actually had a position in place (Bears) and chose to leave it. Nunn just got fired yesterday from the Browns.

DT coach for Green Bay from 2005-2008

DL coach for Tampa Bay in 2009

DL coach for the Giants from 2010-2015

He’s previously worked for the Packers and Buccaneers, with stops in Miami and Washington as well. He spent his first 12 years coaching at the college level, including a stint as head coach of Georgia Military College.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert Nunn was named defensive line coach on January 23, 2006, by Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy. Nunn, 40, coached the Packers\' defensive tackles in 2005, taking essentially the same personnel from 2004, when the club finished 25th overall defensively, and turning them into the anchor of a defensive unit that ranked seventh in 2005. Under Nunn, defensive tackle Grady Jackson started all 16 games for only the second time and responded with career bests in tackles (72) and passes defensed (4). And, promising nondrafted players Cullen Jenkins and Colin Cole also flourished under Nunn\'s stewardship. A 17-year coaching veteran, Nunn has five seasons of NFL experience. He broke into the league as a defensive assistant with the Miami Dolphins in 2000, then served as Miami\'s assistant defensive line/quality control coach for the 2001-02 campaigns, during which he worked with Pro Bowler Jason Taylor. The coach also worked the 2004 season for the Dolphins as a special assistant, beginning in August with a variety of off-the-field projects, and then assisted with the linebackers after Jim Bates was elevated to interim head coach for the final seven games.

In 2003, Nunn headed up the Washington Redskins\' defensive line and coached Bruce Smith when the defensive end broke Reggie White\'s all-time NFL sacks record.

Nunn\'s college coaching experience was highlighted by nine years at Georgia Military College in Milledgeville, Ga. After one season as defensive coordinator, the school promoted him to head coach and athletic director in 1992. In his eight seasons holding that position, Nunn was 66-19 (.776). He had launched his coaching career at Northeastern Oklahoma in 1988, heading up the defensive line. He then tutored defensive ends at the University of Tennessee for two seasons (1989-90). A former linebacker at Oklahoma State, Nunn served as team captain in 1987.

http://www.gmc.edu/about-gmc/gmc-news.cms/2006/1408/packers-name-nunn

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:59 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

Nathaniel Hackett staying on as Jaguars offensive coordinator - Chip Kelly had been rumored 

Kelly being rumored to be talking to Pats to join in some capacity (Ass't OC perhaps). 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-chip-kelly-to-meet-with-pats-after-losing-out-on-jags-job/ar-AAm44st

4 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Of course we don't even try with Kelly.  

And we shouldn't.  BB can reign him in when his concepts become a detriment to the team.  If he came here, he'd happily drive the defense in to the ground like he did in Philly and SF.

Just now, AFJF said:

And we shouldn't.  BB can reign him in when his concepts become a detriment to the team.  If he came here, he'd happily drive the defense in to the ground like he did in Philly and SF.

Our defense is already in the ground, burrowed a hole.

The offense needs something that is somewhat innovative, because they don't have the talent to line up man vs. man with many defenses without looking horrible.  

For example, Kapernick put up very similar numbers to the year when they went 12-4 and were thought to be the team of the future.  Same rushing totals and eerily similar passing totals to when people thought Kapernick was a franchise QB.   

Nick Foles put up a great season one year, and then did decent the year after (he got hurt when they were 6-2) and then they had to turn to stud Mark Sanchez, who had his best statistical season in his career as well.  

The system needs a mobile QB (Kapernick) or deep arm strength (Foles).  Yet, we decide that the offense will destroy the defense.  The SF defense was 27th in ratings last year, dropped all the way to 28th this year.  Philly was ranked 26th in the final year with Reid on defense according to Football Outsiders.  With Kelly, 23rd, 10th, and 17th.   Why is it such a narrative that the defense takes a drastic downturn?  

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Awesome... Bowles is replacing all the scapegoats on his staff with coaches from the Browns and Rams. What's next? Is Trump going to start giving all his cabinet spots to unqualified loons with deep pockets?

of course, the one part of the Rams that was really good...was defensive line..but hey that guy is in the division at least...

On 1/18/2017 at 3:05 PM, ASH1962 said:

I think we should do like NBC (I think) once did with an announcerless telecast -- Coachless football. We basically had that last season anyway but think about it, we can reinvent the entire world of football by going totally coachless. Let the players figure it out every game by themselves. LOL

You must've missed the Herm Edwards years.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Also apparently Chuck Pagano is going to stay. So the GM to come in while a head coach stays there. Remind you of anyone?

They should hire Idzik, he has experience with that sort of thing!

Colts fire GM Ryan Grigson after five seasons, owner Jim Irsay told reporters Saturday. Irsay also confirmed that coach Chuck Pagano will be the Colts' coach in 2017.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000777187/article/colts-fire-gm-ryan-grigson-after-five-seasons

deserved for not protecting Luck but interesting timing and keeping Pagano?

21 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Colts fire GM Ryan Grigson after five seasons, owner Jim Irsay told reporters Saturday. Irsay also confirmed that coach Chuck Pagano will be the Colts' coach in 2017.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000777187/article/colts-fire-gm-ryan-grigson-after-five-seasons

deserved for not protecting Luck but interesting timing and keeping Pagano?

They just will not let that incompetent fool go.. Pagano is garbage.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

John Keim‏ @john_keim

The Redskins have promoted outside linebackers coach Greg Manusky to the defensive coordinator position, a... (link: http://es.pn/2kgKtyu) es.pn/2kgKtyu

Wait, don't they have a stable front office, and a promising young QB with a developing roster ?  Surely they could have hired some big name instead of promoting from within ?  This can't be possible, unless we're talking about the Jets and their dysfunction  . 

56 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Wait, don't they have a stable front office, and a promising young QB with a developing roster ?  Surely they could have hired some big name instead of promoting from within ?  This can't be possible, unless we're talking about the Jets and their dysfunction  . 

Haha. Until Cavanaugh might become their OC. 

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk)

1/22/17, 1:44 PM

Report: Matt Cavanaugh "in negotiations" for Redskins offensive coordinator bit.ly/2jPNpkY

No way, I was told the Jets were the worst franchise in history and could only get folks like this to work for them . Is it possible that we can't even get folks like these ? 

On 1/20/2017 at 10:34 PM, win4ever said:

Our defense is already in the ground, burrowed a hole.

The offense needs something that is somewhat innovative, because they don't have the talent to line up man vs. man with many defenses without looking horrible.  

For example, Kapernick put up very similar numbers to the year when they went 12-4 and were thought to be the team of the future.  Same rushing totals and eerily similar passing totals to when people thought Kapernick was a franchise QB.   

Nick Foles put up a great season one year, and then did decent the year after (he got hurt when they were 6-2) and then they had to turn to stud Mark Sanchez, who had his best statistical season in his career as well.  

The system needs a mobile QB (Kapernick) or deep arm strength (Foles).  Yet, we decide that the offense will destroy the defense.  The SF defense was 27th in ratings last year, dropped all the way to 28th this year.  Philly was ranked 26th in the final year with Reid on defense according to Football Outsiders.  With Kelly, 23rd, 10th, and 17th.   Why is it such a narrative that the defense takes a drastic downturn?  

Do you think this team is going to have the same players on defense next season that it had last season?

I saw Chip up close living near Philly, by the end, multiple opposing players and analysts said that the only thing his offense had going for it was tempo.  Once teams adjusted, it was no big deal.

On several occasions, it was said that the guy only runs a handful of plays that are easily diagnosed.

I believe it was Richard Sherman, but I could be wrong, who said they knew the play as soon as the Eagles broke the huddle.

Oh, and he's a schmuck.

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So that leaves the 

Jets, Texans, Rams, Niners (No HC either), and the Browns who may go without one

I think O'Brien said he wasn't going to hire an OC,so they may onky be looking at a QB Coach

So it's us, Rams, 9ers, and Falcons once Shanahan leaves 

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

Do you think this team is going to have the same players on defense next season that it had last season?

I saw Chip up close living near Philly, by the end, multiple opposing players and analysts said that the only thing his offense had going for it was tempo.  Once teams adjusted, it was no big deal.

On several occasions, it was said that the guy only runs a handful of plays that are easily diagnosed.

I believe it was Richard Sherman, but I could be wrong, who said they knew the play as soon as the Eagles broke the huddle.

Oh, and he's a schmuck.

The exchange of players shouldn't matter, if they get better by personnel changes, they get better.  If they get worse players, they get worse, that is on the GM.  I'm saying Chip Kelly doesn't have this drastic effect on the defense that the narrative would suggest.  Sure, it's not going to be a great defense unless some miracles happen, but I don't think Chip will have this wholesome negative effect on it.  

His offense is based on two things.  Running game, and deep passing game.   Everything revolves around it.  When Vick and Foles were there, they did great because Vick could control both, and Foles had a great arm.  It's the whole horizontal/vertical mechanics.  That offense took a nosedive when they brought in Bradford (which Kelly wanted) because he could no longer throw the deep pass.  I think this is where Kelly struggles as a coach, because he's bad at talent acquisition.  He tends to rely too much on his roots, which caused a high number of picks from the Pac 10.  Bradford is a horrible fit for the system, because he's neither mobile, nor can he throw the deep pass.  He's pretty much a younger/better version of Fitz.  If they figured out his system, why did Kapernick put up stats similar to his breakout year with no weapons at all?  I mean Kerley was Devin Smith-ed last year for us, and he was their No. 1 WR.  

For example, Kelly considers the QB as an extra blocker in theory.  So if it's a read option play, the QB just being there should occupy one defender.  This doesn't happen when it's Bradford at QB.  The other way it works is that, if the QB has a strong arm, the safety can't come in the box, so the strong arm is occupying the safety.  Again, Bradford didn't do this.  Petty fits the mold, because he can run a little bit, and he has a strong arm.  Hackenberg fits the mold with the strong arms, I'm not sure he's going to run much though.  

It's true for a lot of spread systems, especially high tempo ones.  Chan Gailey does the same thing.  I believe Petty mentioned that when he was drafted, and Gailey mentioned that as well.  There is a limited amount of base calls, it's the QBs job at the line to audible out based on reading the defense.  Hence, why you see Fitz yelling and screaming most times prior to the snap.  I think Gailey's biggest issue was that the team didn't go up-tempo enough, which allowed for substitutions.  

He is a schmuck, and he is an idiot when it comes to drafting and trading.  I would never want him as a GM.  But as an OC, I think his system works very well and it fits our current roster.  My ideal pick is Helfrich, who brings the same system without being a jackass, but I have no problem with Kelly running the offense.  

Just now, win4ever said:

The exchange of players shouldn't matter, if they get better by personnel changes, they get better.  If they get worse players, they get worse, that is on the GM.  I'm saying Chip Kelly doesn't have this drastic effect on the defense that the narrative would suggest.  Sure, it's not going to be a great defense unless some miracles happen, but I don't think Chip will have this wholesome negative effect on it.  

His offense is based on two things.  Running game, and deep passing game.   Everything revolves around it.  When Vick and Foles were there, they did great because Vick could control both, and Foles had a great arm.  It's the whole horizontal/vertical mechanics.  That offense took a nosedive when they brought in Bradford (which Kelly wanted) because he could no longer throw the deep pass.  I think this is where Kelly struggles as a coach, because he's bad at talent acquisition.  He tends to rely too much on his roots, which caused a high number of picks from the Pac 10.  Bradford is a horrible fit for the system, because he's neither mobile, nor can he throw the deep pass.  He's pretty much a younger/better version of Fitz.  If they figured out his system, why did Kapernick put up stats similar to his breakout year with no weapons at all?  I mean Kerley was Devin Smith-ed last year for us, and he was their No. 1 WR.  

For example, Kelly considers the QB as an extra blocker in theory.  So if it's a read option play, the QB just being there should occupy one defender.  This doesn't happen when it's Bradford at QB.  The other way it works is that, if the QB has a strong arm, the safety can't come in the box, so the strong arm is occupying the safety.  Again, Bradford didn't do this.  Petty fits the mold, because he can run a little bit, and he has a strong arm.  Hackenberg fits the mold with the strong arms, I'm not sure he's going to run much though.  

It's true for a lot of spread systems, especially high tempo ones.  Chan Gailey does the same thing.  I believe Petty mentioned that when he was drafted, and Gailey mentioned that as well.  There is a limited amount of base calls, it's the QBs job at the line to audible out based on reading the defense.  Hence, why you see Fitz yelling and screaming most times prior to the snap.  I think Gailey's biggest issue was that the team didn't go up-tempo enough, which allowed for substitutions.  

He is a schmuck, and he is an idiot when it comes to drafting and trading.  I would never want him as a GM.  But as an OC, I think his system works very well and it fits our current roster.  My ideal pick is Helfrich, who brings the same system without being a jackass, but I have no problem with Kelly running the offense.  

How great was Foles after the league caught on to his offense?

Why is he still begging for work?

Archived