All Coaching Rumors here please..

NYJ37/12

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

How great was Foles after the league caught on to his offense?

Why is he still begging for work?

He had an 81 ratings, and a 62 QBR, similar to our record breaking QB year from Fitzpatrick last year.  And after Foles moved on, he fell off the map, 

Why is he begging?  It's widely assumed he can get a college coaching job whenever he wants, but he wants to install his offense in the NFL and leverage it for a better position next year.  Both the Falcons and Pats seem interested in him as well, even though both of them have great offenses.  

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, win4ever said:

He had an 81 ratings, and a 62 QBR, similar to our record breaking QB year from Fitzpatrick last year.  And after Foles moved on, he fell off the map, 

Why is he begging?  It's widely assumed he can get a college coaching job whenever he wants, but he wants to install his offense in the NFL and leverage it for a better position next year.  Both the Falcons and Pats seem interested in him as well, even though both of them have great offenses.  

59% comp pct, 13 TD's and 10 INT's after the league got a look at the offense.  He was terrible.

Yes, he can get a college job whenever he wants, but he's not taking them because he wants to stay in the NFL, but nobody wants him.  

Dammit, just re-read that...he's coming to the Jets.

To be fair, I think you guys are hammering on Foles a bit too hard. I think he is going to get a real job. He played fairly well when called up this year. Reid supposedly really likes him which is one reason that people are talking about the Chiefs moving on from Smith. Foles is due $10.75M this year and if the Chiefs let him go, he stands to make more. Anybody that likes Glennon should see that.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

59% comp pct, 13 TD's and 10 INT's after the league got a look at the offense.  He was terrible.

Yes, he can get a college job whenever he wants, but he's not taking them because he wants to stay in the NFL, but nobody wants him.  

Dammit, just re-read that...he's coming to the Jets.

Extrapolated to a full season, it would tie for the 3rd most TDs in franchise history, and we're using that as the basis for not wanting him?

Again, Pats are showing interest at least as a consultant and so are the Falcons.  

I sure hope he comes to the Jets.  

Just now, win4ever said:

Extrapolated to a full season, it would tie for the 3rd most TDs in franchise history, and we're using that as the basis for not wanting him?

Again, Pats are showing interest at least as a consultant and so are the Falcons.  

I sure hope he comes to the Jets.  

Jets interest in Kelly would explain their lack of urgency.  Not like he's a hot candidate.  They can take their time.

Just now, AFJF said:

Jets interest in Kelly would explain their lack of urgency.  Not like he's a hot candidate.  They can take their time.

Honestly, I don't understand why there needs to be urgency. I get it would be helpful, but its not tantamount. I just keep looking at the Niners. They don't have a coach and they dont have a GM. And people are worried about our OC?

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

As long as they are prudent in their decision making, they can take their time.  If the Jets name Kelly as the OC a month from now, I wouldn't have a problem with it.  

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Honestly, I don't understand why there needs to be urgency. I get it would be helpful, but its not tantamount. I just keep looking at the Niners. They don't have a coach and they dont have a GM. And people are worried about our OC?

Cause we're Jets fans. We know the coaching hire or the player drafted or signed is gonna be horrible and let us down. But we wanna know who it is asap damnit!

28 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I like the idea of a full staff being in place to attend events that will have prospective draft choices on display.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Niners are not a franchise to emulate.  I should have included them with the Jets, Colts and Bills in my prior list of dysfunctional owners/organizations.

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

All coaching rumors here?  If you insist.  Highland High School is looking at Mr. Anderson as their new football coach.

In true Jets fans fashion, Anderson sucks, incompetent, can't call plays that work and looks like a duffus.  

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

In true Jets fans fashion, Anderson sucks, incompetent, can't call plays that work and looks like a duffus.  

:D. You forgot too old, can't develop QB's, using Highland High school for a paycheck, abandons the running game inside the 10 yard line. Probably missed a few.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Niners absolutely have a head coach, but seeing as they're one of the few franchises that's a bigger sh*tshow than we are right now, I'm not sure why this would be reassuring even if they didn't.

Via Cimini:

The Jets are showing interest in former Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey, according to a league source. They could interview him for their vacant OC position as soon as tomorrow at the Senior Bowl. Godsey and the Texans mutually parted ways after the playoff loss to the Patriots. The Texans finished 29th in total offense, as $72 million QB Brock Osweiler struggled. The Jets also have interest in Saints WRs coach John Morton, per source.

John Morton, a 13-year NFL veteran who also coached at the collegiate level for five years, brings his expertise to tutor the Saints wideouts for a second season.

Morton rejoined the Saints in 2015, after serving as the club’s offensive assistant/passing game coach in 2006, when they advanced to the NFC Championship Game. His efforts with a youthful group that included Brandin Cooks, Willie Snead and Brandon Coleman resulted in significant development for the trio. Cooks led the team in most major receiving categories, making 84 grabs for 1,138 yards and nine touchdowns, as he reached the 1,000 yard mark for the first time. Through Morton’s help, the undrafted Snead made his NFL playing debut and recorded 69 receptions for 984 yards (14.3 avg.) with three touchdowns. The 6-6, 225-pound Coleman made significant strides in his first full NFL season, finishing with 30 catches for 454 yards (15.1 avg.) with two scoring grabs.

Morton was a part of a staff as wide receivers coach in San Francisco from 2011-14 that helped lead the 49ers to three appearances in the NFC Championship and a berth in Super Bowl XLVII. During his 49ers tenure, Morton’s top pupils were Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree.

The wide receiver corps continued to make strides under Morton’s supervision in 2014. Boldin led the 49ers in receptions (83) and receiving yards (1,062) and became just the fourth player in club history to have multiple 1,000-yard seasons with the 49ers and the first player to do so in his first two campaigns with the team. Crabtree finished second on the team with 68 receptions.

In 2013, Boldin set the franchise record for most receiving yards in a season-opener in his first game with the team after recording 208 yards vs. Green Bay. Boldin went on to register his sixth-career 1,000 yard season, his first since 2009. It marked the first time since 2002-03 that the 49ers had a 1,000 yard receiver in consecutive seasons.

In 2012, Crabtree became the first 49ers wide receiver to surpass the 1,000-yard mark since 2003, notching career highs in receptions (85), receiving yards (1,105) and touchdowns (nine). Under Morton’s direction in 2011, Crabtree led the team with then career-highs in both receptions (72) and receiving yards (874), while adding four touchdowns.

Morton spent the previous four years at the University of Southern California as the school’s wide receivers coach. He also held the position of the Trojans passing game coordinator from 2007-08 and 2010, while serving as the school’s offensive coordinator in 2009. Under Morton’s tutelage, WR Damien Williams earned All-Pac-10 first-team honors and along with WR Patrick Turner, was a third round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Morton first worked under Jim Harbaugh at the University of San Diego as the passing game/wide receivers coach in 2005. That year, QB Josh Johnson set school records in completions (260), completion percentage (70.1) and passing yards (3,256), while WR Adam Hannula set a school record with 73 receptions.

From 1997-2004, Morton worked for the Oakland Raiders in several capacities. He began in the Raiders personnel department and then worked as an offensive assistant, coaching the wide receivers for two years (1998-99). Morton then became the offensive quality control coach in 2000 and again worked with the wide receivers until 2001. He was then elevated to senior offensive assistant/wide receivers coach in 2002, where he tutored a pair of Pro Football Hall of Fame wideouts - Jerry Rice, who earned Pro Bowl honors, and Tim Brown, on a team that earned a trip to the Super Bowl. Morton was later named the team’s tight ends coach in 2004.

Morton originally signed with the Raiders as an undrafted rookie wideout in 1993, and spent part of the next two seasons on their practice squad. He also spent time with the Green Bay Packers in 1993 and was in training camp with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 1995. Morton returned to training camp with the Raiders again in 1996. He played for the Canadian Football League’s Toronto Argonauts in 1995 and 1996, and later with the World League’s Frankfurt Galaxy in the spring of 1997.

Morton played at Western Michigan for two seasons (1991-92), where he left in 10th place on the school’s all-time receiving list (78 receptions) and eighth in receiving yards (1,278), earning All-Mid-American Conference honors as a senior in 1992. He later received a bachelor’s degree in general studies from Western Michigan in 1997. Morton came to Western Michigan after two years (1989-90) at Grand Rapids (Mich.) Community College, where he received his associate’s degree in 1990.

PLAYING CAREER: Grand Rapids (Mich.) CC, 1989-90; Western Michigan, 1991-92; Toronto Argonauts (CFL), 1995-96; Frankfurt Galaxy (World League), 1997.

COACHING CAREER: Oakland Raiders, 1998-04; University of San Diego, 2005; New Orleans Saints, 2006; Southern California, 2007-10; San Francisco 49ers, 2011-14; New Orleans Saints, 2015-.

35 minutes ago, C Mart said:

John Morton, a 13-year NFL veteran who also coached at the collegiate level for five years, brings his expertise to tutor the Saints wideouts for a second season.

Morton rejoined the Saints in 2015, after serving as the club’s offensive assistant/passing game coach in 2006, when they advanced to the NFC Championship Game. His efforts with a youthful group that included Brandin Cooks, Willie Snead and Brandon Coleman resulted in significant development for the trio. Cooks led the team in most major receiving categories, making 84 grabs for 1,138 yards and nine touchdowns, as he reached the 1,000 yard mark for the first time. Through Morton’s help, the undrafted Snead made his NFL playing debut and recorded 69 receptions for 984 yards (14.3 avg.) with three touchdowns. The 6-6, 225-pound Coleman made significant strides in his first full NFL season, finishing with 30 catches for 454 yards (15.1 avg.) with two scoring grabs.

Morton was a part of a staff as wide receivers coach in San Francisco from 2011-14 that helped lead the 49ers to three appearances in the NFC Championship and a berth in Super Bowl XLVII. During his 49ers tenure, Morton’s top pupils were Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree.

The wide receiver corps continued to make strides under Morton’s supervision in 2014. Boldin led the 49ers in receptions (83) and receiving yards (1,062) and became just the fourth player in club history to have multiple 1,000-yard seasons with the 49ers and the first player to do so in his first two campaigns with the team. Crabtree finished second on the team with 68 receptions.

In 2013, Boldin set the franchise record for most receiving yards in a season-opener in his first game with the team after recording 208 yards vs. Green Bay. Boldin went on to register his sixth-career 1,000 yard season, his first since 2009. It marked the first time since 2002-03 that the 49ers had a 1,000 yard receiver in consecutive seasons.

In 2012, Crabtree became the first 49ers wide receiver to surpass the 1,000-yard mark since 2003, notching career highs in receptions (85), receiving yards (1,105) and touchdowns (nine). Under Morton’s direction in 2011, Crabtree led the team with then career-highs in both receptions (72) and receiving yards (874), while adding four touchdowns.

Morton spent the previous four years at the University of Southern California as the school’s wide receivers coach. He also held the position of the Trojans passing game coordinator from 2007-08 and 2010, while serving as the school’s offensive coordinator in 2009. Under Morton’s tutelage, WR Damien Williams earned All-Pac-10 first-team honors and along with WR Patrick Turner, was a third round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Morton first worked under Jim Harbaugh at the University of San Diego as the passing game/wide receivers coach in 2005. That year, QB Josh Johnson set school records in completions (260), completion percentage (70.1) and passing yards (3,256), while WR Adam Hannula set a school record with 73 receptions.

From 1997-2004, Morton worked for the Oakland Raiders in several capacities. He began in the Raiders personnel department and then worked as an offensive assistant, coaching the wide receivers for two years (1998-99). Morton then became the offensive quality control coach in 2000 and again worked with the wide receivers until 2001. He was then elevated to senior offensive assistant/wide receivers coach in 2002, where he tutored a pair of Pro Football Hall of Fame wideouts - Jerry Rice, who earned Pro Bowl honors, and Tim Brown, on a team that earned a trip to the Super Bowl. Morton was later named the team’s tight ends coach in 2004.

Morton originally signed with the Raiders as an undrafted rookie wideout in 1993, and spent part of the next two seasons on their practice squad. He also spent time with the Green Bay Packers in 1993 and was in training camp with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 1995. Morton returned to training camp with the Raiders again in 1996. He played for the Canadian Football League’s Toronto Argonauts in 1995 and 1996, and later with the World League’s Frankfurt Galaxy in the spring of 1997.

Morton played at Western Michigan for two seasons (1991-92), where he left in 10th place on the school’s all-time receiving list (78 receptions) and eighth in receiving yards (1,278), earning All-Mid-American Conference honors as a senior in 1992. He later received a bachelor’s degree in general studies from Western Michigan in 1997. Morton came to Western Michigan after two years (1989-90) at Grand Rapids (Mich.) Community College, where he received his associate’s degree in 1990.

PLAYING CAREER: Grand Rapids (Mich.) CC, 1989-90; Western Michigan, 1991-92; Toronto Argonauts (CFL), 1995-96; Frankfurt Galaxy (World League), 1997.

COACHING CAREER: Oakland Raiders, 1998-04; University of San Diego, 2005; New Orleans Saints, 2006; Southern California, 2007-10; San Francisco 49ers, 2011-14; New Orleans Saints, 2015-.

He does have the accolades...interesting option.

10 hours ago, C Mart said:

Via Cimini:

The Jets are showing interest in former Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey, according to a league source. They could interview him for their vacant OC position as soon as tomorrow at the Senior Bowl. Godsey and the Texans mutually parted ways after the playoff loss to the Patriots. The Texans finished 29th in total offense, as $72 million QB Brock Osweiler struggled. The Jets also have interest in Saints WRs coach John Morton, per source.

This is ideal.

Hire Godsey now, then next year after we fire Bowles and O'brien quits in Houston - we can hire O'brien. By then, Mac will have 3 draft classes in the fold, and it'll give O'brien a shot at Darnold for his first season with us. O'brien and Godsey are good friends, nothing has changed there. Godsey is the one that encouraged O'brien to bring Hack to PSU - pretty sure you posted that at some point, right?

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This is ideal.

Hire Godsey now, then next year after we fire Bowles and O'brien quits in Houston - we can hire O'brien. By then, Mac will have 3 draft classes in the fold, and it'll give O'brien a shot at Darnold for his first season with us. O'brien and Godsey are good friends, nothing has changed there. Godsey is the one that encouraged O'brien to bring Hack to PSU - pretty sure you posted that at some point, right?

Yes, Godsey and Hackenberg have history.  If they're going to go with Hack and Petty, this guy could make the most sense for them.

14 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Yes, Godsey and Hackenberg have history.  If they're going to go with Hack and Petty, this guy could make the most sense for them.

Not sure what the history is. Breer tweeted:

@AlbertBreer Jan 16

Godsey and O'Brien were close. O'Brien coached him at Georgia Tech. Godsey was the one who pushed O'Brien to get Hackenberg to PSU.

People can mock the potential offensive staff choices (it serves no purpose) but I would be intrigued with Morton as the OC and
Godsey as the QB coach.  Morton's resume, affiliation with Harbaugh and connection to an explosive NO offense is attractive.
And even though nothing should be promised to Hackenberg, Godsey's history with him and the thought that he can unlock his
talent is interesting 

15 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Pats interview Chip Kelley to bait Jets into hiring him.

The pats are a smart team, they see a guy who has elements that can help them win and inquire about him.  Kelly would be a much better oc than anyone we are going to get.

Chip Kelly is just a name right now, his "gimmick" offense has been figured out and he's been exposed.  If he
wants to progress in his pro career he needs to take a year off and incorporate pro concepts into his playbook.
If he could mix his "gimmick" offense with pro concepts he would be a perfect hire for all of these QB's
coming out of college.  Their learning curve would be reduced as they adjust to the pro game

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

This is ideal.

OBrien sucks and has done zero with any offense that doesn't have the word Brady attached to it.  The love this guy gets around here is unfathomable. His offensive acumen the last few seasons has resembled Bowles defensive acumen this year.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

OBrien sucks and has done zero with any offense that doesn't have the word Brady attached to it.  The love this guy gets around here is unfathomable. His offensive acumen the last few seasons has resembled Bowles defensive acumen this year.

I dont agree Beer. As a Penn State fan I loved the guy, his offense and his style of coaching. He needs a cerebral, athletic qb which he has yet to have in the NFL. he runs the same offense as the Pats, who run the same offense Charlie Weis brought in from the JETS.

2 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I dont agree Beer. As a Penn State fan I loved the guy, his offense and his style of coaching. He needs a cerebral, athletic qb which he has yet to have in the NFL. he runs the same offense as the Pats, who run the same offense Charlie Weis brought in from the JETS.

He can't choose QBs though.  He was fine with Hoyer (ex pat) he sucked.  He went out of his way to get Mallet (ex pat) he sucked.  There have been comments both ways as to whether he wanted Osweiler or not, he is worse than suck,  He had Hackenburg and the guy took what he learned and then epically failed there after.

He is like any other OC or head coach in other words, give him a great Qb and he will look fine, otherwise he stinks.  The guys to me that are really good offensive minds are guys like galley that can take crappy QBs and get results from them.   If he came to the Jets with the QBs we have or have had he would stink.

Show me success under less than ideal conditions and I'll call a coach a difference maker.

42 minutes ago, KRL said:

Morton's resume, affiliation with Harbaugh and connection to an explosive NO offense is attractive.

I agree that this guy sounds intriguing...and more attractive than Godsey although much more less actual OC experience.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_240d72ad-9420-573c-a57e-e8034b7d8307.html

New Saints wide receivers coach John Morton ready to lead, mold wide receivers: 'I’ll do whatever it takes to get them ready to play'

•  
  •  

John Morton isn’t worried about leadership.

While the New Orleans Saints’ new wide receivers coach wasn’t with the program during last year’s 7-9 campaign, he didn’t understand where all the questions about a lack of leadership were coming from during minicamp.

“People say you don’t have leaders on this team,” Morton said. “What’s the coach? I’m the leader. I’m there to help them and put them in the best position. I’ll do whatever it takes to get them ready to play.”

Morton isn’t new to New Orleans. He was with the team in 2006 as an offensive assistant before taking off to coach at Southern California in 2007, first as a wide receivers coach and then as offensive coordinator, before hooking on with the San Francisco 49ers as a wide receivers coach in 2011. The Saints brought him back this offseason to coach the receivers.

Perhaps more so than any other position, New Orleans will need Morton to bring his guiding hand and leadership to the meeting room. It could be argued Marques Colston is the only finished product at the receiver position. Everyone else is either still raw, developing, or new to the system.

For this group to replace the production of the departed Kenny Stills and tight end Jimmy Graham, who often split out as a receiver, it will be up to players like Brandin Cooks, Brandon Coleman, Seantavius Jones and Nick Toon to take the next step in their developments.

Morton will play a big role in making that happen. And while he says this is the youngest group of receivers he has ever worked with, he sees the inexperience as an advantage since he can mold the players how he wants them to be and doesn’t have to work to knock out bad habits.

“I think it’s great. They’re a great bunch of guys,” Morton said. “They work their butts off every single day. That’s half the battle.”

Morton said he learned how to coach working under Jon Gruden in Oakland, where he served in the personnel department, as an offensive assistant and then as the tight ends coach from 1997-2004. He also learned the West Coast offense during his time in Oakland.

And what Gruden couldn’t teach him, Morton learned from working with players like Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Randy Moss and Anquan Bolden. He also worked with Norv Turner for one season and with Jim Harbaugh at the University of San Diego in 2005 and again in San Francisco.

He also believes he has an advantage over some position coaches since he played the position he now teaches. Morton played in college at Western Michigan and then spent time with the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts. He also had stints on the practice squads of the Raiders and Green Bay Packers.

Through those experiences, Morton has developed a philosophy on how to teach players.

“I was taught through some great coaches,” Morton said. “What I do is teach them the whole thing, not just one thing, so they understand the whole thing.

“I’ve done that wherever I’ve been and the guys seem to pick up on that.”

Morton is still opening to learning and picking up new things. At his other stops, he always used to tell players about how he worked with Colston during the 2006 season.

Colston’s story is well known here, but Morton loved to share it with people outside of the borders. The Saints acquired him in the seventh round of the draft. And while it could be argued the rest of the league overlooked his talent, a lot of Colston’s success can be attributed to hard work on the field and in the classroom.

“He was almost the last pick,” Morton said. “To do what he’s done since he’s been here — you can put it up there.”

What he’s done is catch 666 passes for 9,239 yards with 68 touchdowns since entering the league. Since coming back, Morton has spent plenty of time talking to Colston, trying to figure out what he’s done and learned along the way.

“He’s been consistent on a high level. It’s just been a privilege to be back with him,” Morton said. “I pick his mind. What has he learned? What have I learned?”

What Morton has learned since taking off will play a big role in determining how this group turns out.

•  

17 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Really ??? The Jets have two young QB's and no OC. I know there's not a lot that can be done in terms of player interaction. But I want an OC in here pronto, breaking down film and establishing a plan that will be firmly in place so that the team hits the ground running once team activities start.

Furthermore, you need to know what offense you'll run to help prioritize your draft board. Not signing an OC soon can turn into a big problem.

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He can't choose QBs though.  He was fine with Hoyer (ex pat) he sucked.  He went out of his way to get Mallet (ex pat) he sucked.  There have been comments both ways as to whether he wanted Osweiler or not, he is worse than suck,  He had Hackenburg and the guy took what he learned and then epically failed there after.

He is like any other OC or head coach in other words, give him a great Qb and he will look fine, otherwise he stinks.  The guys to me that are really good offensive minds are guys like galley that can take crappy QBs and get results from them.   If he came to the Jets with the QBs we have or have had he would stink.

Show me success under less than ideal conditions and I'll call a coach a difference maker.

Hackenberg failed under Franklin and that fraud of an oc he had. They changed everything about Hack, from his footwork to his stance. Terrible coaching hurt Hack, not O'Brien. You left out Fitz.

Archived