Report: Jets’ Bowles to Return in 2017

JetNation

4 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Its Myers and "changes are not anticipated" means little. I think the silence from Woody says this decision is not made. I believe when the season is over, the powers that be will sit down and discuss the changes that need to be made, ie players and coaching staff and maybe the power structure. 

Woody to Bowles, " you need to make changes in your staff and from this point forward you answer to Mac". If Bowles balks, hes out. Just my hunch.

Mac absolutely has not earned the right to be his boss...You can make an argument that he's been worse than Bowles...

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

If this story is true, look for another joke of a season--replete with tons of idiotic decisions by Bowles and his inept coaching staff--next year.  Please, dear Odin, let this rumor be untrue.  Banish Coach Bowles and his minions to Niflheim.

I don't know. I think there is the possibility that he grows into the role. Decisions he made this year, maddening they were, he might not make next year. Maybe he grows a pair and maybe the Jets get some ELITE players at some critical positions.

It's not ALL his fault.

And, wow, basically Jets fans like this one, have this 'if he's not good in two years get rid of him' mentality that really just perpetuates the mediocrity. Give guys a chance to grow for a change. The world is not as negative as your personal lives must be.

Following the example of the Buffalo Bills, who haven't been to the playoffs in 17 years, is not usually considered a good idea.

Plus I can't recall any coach who won 10 games his first year and then fired the next year.

Now if Bowles had a crappy record last year, then there is definitely more reason to fire him. But to keep the job somewhat attractive to people, this is the right move

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Mac absolutely has not earned the right to be his boss...You can make an argument that he's been worse than Bowles...

Not really. Why hasn't the media really gone after him? 

For some reason people are penalizing him for things that they agreed with before and a solid draft IMO. His two mistakes that can be questioned no doubt were drafting Hackenberg that high and signing Jarvis Jenkins

An entire fan base and not 1 person is willing to hope the jets and this management team turns it around . Ok, I'll be the lone wolf and stand alone hoping that the Jets begin the upswing I think this franchise deserve starting with a noticeable improvement in Hackenberg . Sometimes it's the move you don't make that starts the climb to the top .

Heave ho Jets, Heave ho.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That's a different argument. The power structure that's in place now cannot work. The coach must answer to the GM

49 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

If this story is true, look for another joke of a season--replete with tons of idiotic decisions by Bowles and his inept coaching staff--next year.  Please, dear Odin, let this rumor be untrue.  Banish Coach Bowles and his minions to Niflheim.

No no no no no no no no non no no no no no no no no no mo' Bowles.  Please Woody!  Bowles blows. 

12 minutes ago, David Harris said:

One condition that would make me ok with this is a clear commitment to a full unadulterated rebuild.

Cut all the overpaid vets - Revis, Mangold, Gilchrist  Sign zero Free Agents over 30 years old.  Priorty invest  in offensive line (most free agency as draft is weak) to not kill Hackenberg or our top 6 pick QB next season. 

The problem will be that Bowels and Mac's jobs and future careers will be in the balance and their goals naturally will be self-preservation meaning while nearing the end of their contracts they will be looking to scrape together any short term wins rather than thinking primarily for the long term.  As we all know, make no mistake, this is a long term rebuild due to horrible drafting the past decade.

This is a good post. You almost need to commit to them beyond next year to get them to do what is right for the long term.

If you keep Bowles next year, you really ought to be giving him two more years.  Next year should rightfully be a debacle, but if the put a few pieces in place, maybe you let him see it through.  It's absurd to keep him just to fire him after a season we all know will be a disaster.  Also, I've generally shifted my opinion to thinking this falls more on Macc than Bowles.  No coach produces a winning record with this train wreck of a roster.

41 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't see in the NY Daily News where Woody has decided to bring Bowles back.  All Mehta is saying is that Woody should give a vote of confidence.

Mehta, the meathead,  needs to shut his stupid mouth.  Really... how did this dishonest, bullcrap artist, flaming azzhole ever land a reporting job?  He's a complete douche.

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

An entire fan base and not 1 person is willing to hope the jets and this management team turns it around . Ok, I'll be the lone wolf and stand alone hoping that the Jets begin the upswing I think this franchise deserve starting with a noticeable improvement in Hackenberg . Sometimes it's the move you don't make that starts the climb to the top .

Heave ho Jets, Heave ho.

We all hope it happens.  Hope is based on nothing.  We don't expect it, because expectations are based on reality.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

If you keep Bowles next year, you really ought to be giving him two more years.  Next year should rightfully be a debacle, but if the put a few pieces in place, maybe you let him see it through.  It's absurd to keep him just to fire him after a season we all know will be a disaster.  Also, I've generally shifted my opinion to thinking this falls more on Macc than Bowles.  No coach produces a winning record with this train wreck of a roster.

To be honest, this should have been what happened last year if Macc went the full rebuild route

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

For some reason people are penalizing him for things that they agreed with before and a solid draft IMO. His two mistakes that can be questioned no doubt were drafting Hackenberg that high and signing Jarvis Jenkins

The media likely hasn't gone after him because he doesn't really speak to the media. The coach has pressers and phone conferences daily. Macc has one or two pressers in season. His one after this season ends should be great tv. 

And you're living in a dream world if that's all you think are his mistakes. 

I'm cool with giving Bowles one more year. Make or break. 

I don't hate Bowles like most of the board. I've been rooting for him from the beginning. That being said, not sure he's cut out for this, but I'm willing to give him more time to see if he shows growth 

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The media likely hasn't gone after him because he doesn't really speak to the media. The coach has pressers and phone conferences daily. Macc has one or two pressers in season. His one after this season ends should be great tv. 

And you're living in a dream world if that's all you think are his mistakes. 

Those are his mistakes that were not hindsight. The Fitzpatrick Wilkerson were things that were mostly applauded at the time so to put those on him is unfair and hypocritical. Same with Revis and Skrine. He's also had draft picks and players get hurt and that is happenstance.

That's also why the media doesn't bad mouth him. Because they agreed with his moves this offseason, and they would look like idiots if they bitched about it

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is a good post. You almost need to commit to them beyond next year to get them to do what is right for the long term.

The kind of rebuild we need is much easier to do with a new regime that would be given a grace year or two to establish/rebuild the program.  It could get Jetsy around here if the coaches/GM's goals aren't well aligned with what's best for the future.  2017 is time to take the medicine and a hot seat coach and GM running out of time don't fit that.  

I'd like them to extend Mac so he doesn't feel forced to implement short term fixes to secure his job.  Let Bowles play 2017 out however we saw how bad that could be with Rex in his final days not playing any of the young guys when he knew he was gonna get canned.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Those are his mistakes that were not hindsight. The Fitzpatrick Wilkerson were things that were mostly applauded at the time so to put those on him is unfair and hypocritical. Same with Revis and Skrine. He's also had draft picks and players get hurt and that is happenstance.

That's also why the media doesn't bad mouth him. Because they agreed with his moves this offseason, and they would look like idiots if they bitched about it

If it doesn't work out, no matter who agreed with it, it's a mistake. It's not unfair to criticize the general manager of this football team for its failures. I'm sorry your Uncle Mike has done a bad job but he needs to be held accountable as well. 

29 minutes ago, Pcola said:

You're right.  We could cut all our aging vets and replace them with also old, higher priced free agents.  Short term fix.  Gets us competitive (barely) and still won't have a legit QB.

This team needs a full rebuild.  If the ownership and fans won't tolerate that, then we can continue the the last 6 years in a loop.

Or we can replace them with smart pickups like what the Giants did this past offseason (e.g. Snacks, Janoris Jenkins, Vernon) and potentially sign a talented QB (e.g. Tyrod Taylor, Glennon, etc), draft well and have things turn around quicker than expected.

I realize we need a lot to go right and the odds are against that.  I'm just saying that it's far too early to determine that right now. 

Fwiw, I agree that we need a full rebuild and I'd like one.  Then again, in today's NFL, is there really such a thing?  By the time a player that you draft pans out, it's time for their 2nd contract and you might lose them in FA.  Belichick was a master of replacing players but he usually traded down and added draft picks.  The Cowboys are doing an outstanding job as well as they have Randy Gregory and Jaylon Smith still in the pipeline to an already dominant-looking team. 

55 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

If the plan is to cut all the vets and go very lean next year, I have no problem with this. Let Bowles stay and go 2-14 next year and then start fresh in 18.

That more then likely isn't what they are going to do.  They are going to try and save their jobs by spending a lot of money on aging vets in hope of going 9-7 and squeezing into playoffs.  Then getting fired, and leaving new regime with a cap mess

22 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This team is in a clearly worse a position than when he took it over two years ago.  Solid draft in what way?

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If it doesn't work out, no matter who agreed with it, it's a mistake. It's not unfair to criticize the general manager of this football team for its failures. I'm sorry your Uncle Mike has done a bad job but he needs to be held accountable as well. 

He's not infallible. I've already given places where he has made mistakes. 

Same here given the impact of fans and media on Woody and this franchise, which is bad to begin with. That is an organizational problem, not a Singular person problem

Archived