Report: Jets’ Bowles to Return in 2017

JetNation

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bitonti said:

if the team fires Bowles it sends a message to the next guy that anything but instant success will result in firing.

Which makes finding the next guy even tougher.  

Or it weeds out the losers who don't have enough faith in their own ability to turn things around. 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think if Bowles is fired the words "career suicide" might come to mind for the Jets job, at least right now

If Bowles is fired, and you're a quality, optimistic coach, it is an amazing opportunity.

I want the coach that says to himself "Man, it's going to be awesome to win a Super Bowl in New York"

Not the loser that worries he might get fired.

Just now, Jetlife33 said:

It's the right move, regardless of what the headlines say. Woody stuck to the plan, and I have to say he made the right decision. 

I'll give him credit if this is true. He is sticking to the plan and not being swayed by noise.

I don't care if the plan sucks or not, some backbone is being shown

Just now, JetPotato said:

If Bowles is fired, and you're a quality, optimistic coach, it is an amazing opportunity.

I want the coach that says to himself "Man, it's going to be awesome to win a Super Bowl in New York"

Not the loser that worries he might get fired.

That's fine. But if Bowles is fired, the thinking might be that he will not have enough time to win a Super Bowl in NY.

24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Name me a coach who won 10 games plus his first year and got fired after his second.

Why woUld any quality coach come to a place where winning 10 games the first year doesn't guarantee at least two more years.

People have to realize that coaches care more about their own situation rather than accepting losing

Going from 10 wins to complete laughing stock in one season is a bad thing IMO.

3 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

It's the right move, regardless of what the headlines say. Woody stuck to the plan, and I have to say he made the right decision. 

What plan is that if i may ask?  If you are saying part of the plan was to have the whole team except about 3 players give u[ and the plan to be the worst team in the league right now and the plan was for Fitz to lay and egg and the defense to be a sheer and utter clown show. and for the the teams highest paid players be total no show slugs and for the gm to use draft resources to be better this year then I'd say that is not the best of plans.

3 hours ago, JetNation said:

Woody Johnson hasn’t seen enough bad football out of the Jets this season to prompt him to make a move.

Seriously?  The Jets season was over by the end of September and went downhill from there.  What does Woody consider "bad enough" 0-16?

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What plan is that if i may ask?  If you are saying part of the plan was to have the whole team except about 3 players give u[ and the plan to be the worst team in the league right now and the plan was for Fitz to lay and egg and the defense to be a sheer and utter clown show. and for the the teams highest paid players be total no show slugs and for the gm to use draft resources to be better this year then I'd say that is not the best of plans.

I believe in Ron Wolf & Charlie Casserly infinitely more than I believe in you. Their fingerprints were all over the Mac and Bowles hirings, and after Bowles' first losing season that's it he should be gone? I don't think so. 

36 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Woody's failures are well known. I think he gets credit (blame) for some things he had nothing to do with, but separately hiring the HC and GM - and then having each report to him separately - is incomprehensible. Maybe if he was a football guy - or historically successful at picking players & staff - rather than a football fan I could get past it, but holy crap with this already.

Obviously I agree with this, and it would be wise if he hired an overall Exec for football operations if he's not going to have Bowles report to Macc.

As for Bowles coming back, I am not surprised.

It's bad but it's good. As said plenty of times already, a new HC buys the GM an extra 3 years (2 at least, and even that's only if the next HC after Bowles got fired after 2 years as well). 

Bowles has earned the hot seat he's been on. At best - at the very best - Maccagnan has earned a very, very warm seat. If he - or a QB he's already drafted - doesn't dramatically improve (and signing a new batch of overpriced veterans isn't an improvement in GMing even if the record itself improves), he should go, and dump Bowles along with him.

If something unexpected comes up before then, like Harbaugh willing to come to a team if he has full control (or at least veto power over any personnel moves), and if the thought of coaching the Jets - even under those circumstances - doesn't make him die from laughter or nausea, then dump both our boobs now.

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That's fine. But if Bowles is fired, the thinking might be that he will not have enough time to win a Super Bowl in NY.

I think most people that have watched this team know that when you're weekly out-maneuvered, out-prepared and have lost the locker room, it's time to move on from the coach. This wasn't just a failure of talent. This is an undisciplined, unfocused and undetermined team.

3 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I think most people that have watched this team know that when you're weekly out-maneuvered, out-prepared and have lost the locker room, it's time to move on from the coach. This wasn't just a failure of talent. This is an undisciplined, unfocused and undetermined team.

So if Bowles is fired and the next guy comes in and wins 6 games with effort, the fans better not call for his head 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

So if Bowles is fired and the next guy comes in and wins 6 games with effort, the fans better not call for his head 

If we won 6 games next year, it would be a huge improvement. If they did it while exhibiting competency on the sidelines and in player development, I'd be thrilled. If I saw the players show a little effort, I'd be happy. We didn't see any of that this year.

11 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I have not been happy with those things either. My hope is that in these closed practices Bowles has been working these guy extra hard and made things complicated for them to the point where he can now see who on the roster can handle this and who can't. Bowles deserves a third year regardless - but if this is what he was going behind the scenes we all may be pleasantly surprised next year and beyond.

16 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I believe in Ron Wolf & Charlie Casserly infinitely more than I believe in you. Their fingerprints were all over the Mac and Bowles hirings, and after Bowles' first losing season that's it he should be gone? I don't think so. 

The eyes don't lie.  This team is horrible and Bowles has been a huge part of that beginning with screwing up the decision not to go for two points against the Bills in week 2.  Adjusting to teams continually having tight ends gore us for huge yardage would have been a good idea also, but we are still waiting.  

1 minute ago, Green DNA said:

The eyes don't lie.  This team is horrible and Bowles has been a huge part of that beginning with screwing up the decision not to go for two points against the Bills in week 2.  Adjusting to teams continually having tight ends gore us for huge yardage would have been a good idea also, but we are still waiting.  

The great coaches can't run good teams without smart, good, well conditioned players. Lets see what moves they make and how well they look next year. This may have been the type of season where they tried to see if the cream rose to the top. If you bring in a new coach it gives these players a pass and you can't have that either. A lot of them have had too many passes.

Just now, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Wow

SOJF

Your narrow perception doesn't see the big picture. We will never hoist a Lombardi with Toilet Bowles & a meaningless week 17 game means nothing. 

If Bowles stays as it appears, we really need to have a major shakeup in the coaching staff - at a minimum I'd like to see Chan go but I'd also like to see a full time defensive coordinator brought in - the defense looked completely lost at times this season - lost to a level I've never seen in an NFL team before 

If we keep Bowles and the entire coaching staff, I'll be extremely disappointed 

3 hours ago, SBBound said:

This  is my position as well. I think everyone knows that we need a long term rebuild. If that is the case, and we cut Revis, Clady, Giacomini, etc and go very young next year, then 2017 WILL NOT be a playoff year under any circumstance - particularly if we go with Petty or Hack. That is, you cannot have Bowles come back for 1 year, blow everything up and then say playoffs or bust. I have said all along, you either need to fire Bowles now, or allow him and Macc to do a true rebuild for 2-3  years. Most analysts were on record (Parcells being one of them) that Bowles is a very good judge of talent and has a track record of being a good football mind. I believe he knows what he is doing from that point of view, although he certainly needs to grow and develop regarding overall team oversight and being more flexible and quick to adapt as situations arise. My primary concern is that if he comes back for 1 year and then gets fired, the we have to rebuild once again (after a rebuild had already begun next year).

He's another HC that doesn't even talk to his QB...no, just no!!!!  I want a real football guy!  Much like finding a franchise QB you keep hiring one till you find one.  

i didn't exactly see many fans complain about last year.  that being said, they should have improved this season.  the killer schedule was just another schedule in this parity driven league and there is no reason why this team should have won fewer than 10.  i reject all of the fitz or richardson arguments.  these guys are talented enough to have won.  at the very least they should've been 5-5 at the break.  after that the oline fell apart too much to bank on but even there the huge fall off was on defense. i suspect woody asked mac his assessment of the team and as long as bowles hasn't lost the lockeroom then all is not lost.

next season is all going to depend on how well the defense plays plus stability at qb position.  the qb issue will be driven by petty or hack or if mac can find a vet.  the defense is clearly on bowles to fix even if that means cleaning out the coaching staff.  and it's probably time for chan to move on as well.

27 minutes ago, RSJ said:

The great coaches can't run good teams without smart, good, well conditioned players. Lets see what moves they make and how well they look next year. This may have been the type of season where they tried to see if the cream rose to the top. If you bring in a new coach it gives these players a pass and you can't have that either. A lot of them have had too many passes.

This isn't the worst reasoning in the world. I still think Bowles is terrible, and we're only delaying the inevitable, but the GM has to help the HC by showing the players who the boss is. Start making some meaningful cuts. 

Frankly it's one of the problems when the players see the HC play slacking veterans no matter what. I'll give Bowles this much, that he did start to bench some of these guys in the latter half of this season, but really it was too late and he only benched them for a series here or a quarter there rather than an entire game to truly call them out nationally. Doing such a thing will severely taint a player's earning potential if/when they're let go, and I'll bet they don't like that too much. 

He dug a lot of this no-respect hole himself. What message does it send, when a QB can throw 4 picks in a game, still leave him in to throw a 5th - a pick 6 at that - and then still leave him in to throw a 6th interception? It says starters can do no wrong & starters don't have to bother putting forth all their effort. It also tells the kids don't bother trying because you have no shot at bumping a starter down to backup. That's bad. Like, really bad.

Part of that eventual problem, though, was with so many starters dropping as the season wore on, he couldn't really just put an all-backups team onto the field. He has a job to worry about himself.

My reason is different than most here who are in favor of his return for 2017, but I'm not angry Bowles is coming back if he was going to bring MM back anyway. 

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I'm not saying I endorse Woody's decision, but 2 years is not enough to make a change especially winning 10 games the previous season. 

As bad as this season has been and it has been bad, awful and inept all in one.  This was the right decision.  

I for one am hoping that this season taught Bowles more than he cares to admit cause if it hasn't Bowles shall rightly be let go.  

If I actually thought Bowles was a decent coach, I'd applaud this move. But he's shown no indication that he is.

As others have said - one of two things will happen:

1) Woody will give Mac and Bowles the assurance that a proper rebuild is allowed, and we're stuck with them in 2018 after another lackluster year

2) They'll feel the pressure to field a competitive team and overpay in a weak FA market to make a run at .500. This may or may not get them fired.

Personally, I think it's just delaying the inevitable. Bowles has been horrid and unless his draft picks start making the leap in 2017 Mac will be thought of just has bad.

Kacy Rodgers is done. And they can install new Defensive schemes cause no one seems to be getting the current one anyway.

Chan ? Don't know how much he is a problem or not. Replace him and have Hack/Petty start with a new guy or continue with him.

I don't think Bowles staying is nearly as interesting as who will be the OC in '17 .

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

If I actually thought Bowles was a decent coach, I'd applaud this move. But he's shown no indication that he is.

As others have said - one of two things will happen:

1) Woody will give Mac and Bowles the assurance that a proper rebuild is allowed, and we're stuck with them in 2018 after another lackluster year

2) They'll feel the pressure to field a competitive team and overpay in a weak FA market to make a run at .500. This may or may not get them fired.

Personally, I think it's just delaying the inevitable. Bowles has been horrid and unless his draft picks start making the leap in 2017 Mac will be thought of just has bad.

Not necessarily if we see growth then they will be fine.

Archived