Report: Jets’ Bowles to Return in 2017

JetNation

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article is speculation only.... I'll remind people that Woody fired Mangenus 24 hours after Tanny said he would be retained so as far as I am concerned, until Woody makes any announcements nothing is reliable.  Also, if this team plays poorly again - meaning we get our asses kicked again by the Bills - then I can not for the life of me see woody keeping TB but of course, I never thought I b  a fan for 49 years either....

Just now, FidelioJet said:

This team is in a clearly worse a position than when he took it over two years ago.  Solid draft in what way?

Only because Macc didn't continue the process for fear of losing his job like IdZik did. I wouldn't have done it, but I understand why he did it.

His 2016 draft has a lot of potential. Lee, Jenkins, Burris, Shell, Edwards, and Peake.  Might be the best overall draft the Jets have had in a few years

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

If you keep Bowles next year, you really ought to be giving him two more years.  Next year should rightfully be a debacle, but if the put a few pieces in place, maybe you let him see it through.  It's absurd to keep him just to fire him after a season we all know will be a disaster.  Also, I've generally shifted my opinion to thinking this falls more on Macc than Bowles.  No coach produces a winning record with this train wreck of a roster.

This  is my position as well. I think everyone knows that we need a long term rebuild. If that is the case, and we cut Revis, Clady, Giacomini, etc and go very young next year, then 2017 WILL NOT be a playoff year under any circumstance - particularly if we go with Petty or Hack. That is, you cannot have Bowles come back for 1 year, blow everything up and then say playoffs or bust. I have said all along, you either need to fire Bowles now, or allow him and Macc to do a true rebuild for 2-3  years. Most analysts were on record (Parcells being one of them) that Bowles is a very good judge of talent and has a track record of being a good football mind. I believe he knows what he is doing from that point of view, although he certainly needs to grow and develop regarding overall team oversight and being more flexible and quick to adapt as situations arise. My primary concern is that if he comes back for 1 year and then gets fired, the we have to rebuild once again (after a rebuild had already begun next year).

59 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

If the plan is to cut all the vets and go very lean next year, I have no problem with this. Let Bowles stay and go 2-14 next year and then start fresh in 18.

This is the plan.  New coach and number 1 pick qb for 2018.  Next year will be 1-15 all over again.  But it will be the best thing to happen to us in a long time.

8 minutes ago, TheMagicRat said:

If the report is true, Bowles needs to make major changes to his coaching staff...specifically on the defensive side.

Please do not hire any first time DCs. Maybe bring in Pagano if he is let go. 

Bowles is actually acting as DC.  He calls the plays.  Fire himself?  I'm all for it

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Only because Macc didn't continue the process for fear of losing his job like IdZik did. I wouldn't have done it, but I understand why he did it.

His 2016 draft has a lot of potential. Lee, Jenkins, Burris, Shell, Edwards, and Peake.  Might be the best overall draft the Jets have had in a few years

So, the GM that did his job poorly because he was scared did a good job because he failed only because he was scared?  While I don't disagree with that's what happens, I have no reason to believe he won't continue to run this team with an eye toward PR and fear...That won't get it done. 

Not one of those guys will be an impact player in the NFL - sure they may up being pieces but good drafts deliver players that can make a difference.   Just because it's been the best draft for the Jets really isn't saying much.

13 minutes ago, SBBound said:

This  is my position as well. I think everyone knows that we need a long term rebuild. If that is the case, and we cut Revis, Clady, Giacomini, etc and go very young next year, then 2017 WILL NOT be a playoff year under any circumstance - particularly if we go with Petty or Hack. That is, you cannot have Bowles come back for 1 year, blow everything up and then say playoffs or bust. I have said all along, you either need to fire Bowles now, or allow him and Macc to do a true rebuild for 2-3  years. Most analysts were on record (Parcells being one of them) that Bowles is a very good judge of talent and has a track record of being a good football mind. I believe he knows what he is doing from that point of view, although he certainly needs to grow and develop regarding overall team oversight and being more flexible and quick to adapt as situations arise. My primary concern is that if he comes back for 1 year and then gets fired, the we have to rebuild once again (after a rebuild had already begun next year).

I am just wondering how you can conclude ( really do not care what most analyst say about TB) that TB is a good FB evaluator or even a coach given his lack of progress as a HC and the teams regression in all three phases of the game?  Care to comment  

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

So, the GM that did his job poorly because he was scared did a good job because he failed only because he was scared?  While I don't disagree with that's what happens, I have no reason to believe he won't continue to run this team with an eye toward PR and fear...That won't get it done. 

Not one of those guys will be an impact player in the NFL - sure they may up being pieces but good drafts deliver players that can make a difference.   Just because it's been the best draft for the Jets really isn't saying much.

Its very possible. And this coming draft is HUGE for him. 

But it is an organizational problem that the team is run with an eye towards PR. Which is why I suggested going to a place with little competition for PR as a solution to that. Either that or the owner sells the team and they get a hard skinned owner

30 minutes ago, gEYno said:

If you keep Bowles next year, you really ought to be giving him two more years.  Next year should rightfully be a debacle, but if the put a few pieces in place, maybe you let him see it through.  It's absurd to keep him just to fire him after a season we all know will be a disaster.  Also, I've generally shifted my opinion to thinking this falls more on Macc than Bowles.  No coach produces a winning record with this train wreck of a roster.

- Bowles got the QB he asked for, that's as much on him for asking for Fitz as it is on Mac for conceding and making it happen.

- Rex/Tanny/Idzik are still largely accountable for the lack of depth and overall talent on this team. This isn't an excuse for Mac. It's just a reality. You can't overhaul 45+ roster spots, which is truthfully what we were looking at when these guys were hired, in 2 off-seasons. No matter what the philosophy is behind your player acquisition.

- Injuries this year were beyond anything I've see for one team. This was a huge factor in exposing how much work still needs to be done to offset the damage of the Rex regimes.

- I think both men share responsibility for this mess, as do most of the schmucks they replaced.

- Bowles, not Mac, lost the team. That much is clear, these guys aren't playing for him, for pride, for anything. Again, that's partially the Rex culture coming back to haunt us, but it's also part of realizing the Bowles is a big-time players coach. In all the bad ways.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

If the plan is to cut all the vets and go very lean next year, I have no problem with this. Let Bowles stay and go 2-14 next year and then start fresh in 18.

I agree but I don't think they'll go very lean next year. Not after a 4-win season (ok, maybe it'll end up 5 wins).

Too many contracts & players are obvious goodbyes, and Maccagnan's job likely isn't secure enough to survive going 2-14 after dropping from 10 wins to 4 or 5.

Sadly, it's far more likely he'll get us into even more expensive contracts to replace the lousy ones he signed 2 years earlier. We'll improve to 7-9 or 8-8, and it's anyone's guess whether or not that's enough for either to survive another offseason. Probably yes, but it depends how they arrived at that record.

Good times.

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Its very possible. And this coming draft is HUGE for him. 

But it is an organizational problem that the team is run with an eye towards PR. Which is why I suggested going to a place with little competition for PR as a solution to that. Either that or the owner sells the team and they get a hard skinned owner

Agree...Woody needs to think long-term and ignore the press and fan base.  He's the biggest problem.  Which is also why I'm in favor of keeping Bowles and not playing Hack.  Stick to the plan...create a plan and stay with it...it's the only way to build a long term winner.

32 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Bowles is actually acting as DC.  He calls the plays.  Fire himself?  I'm all for it

Is he calling all the plays?  That reportedly was an issue w/the Bills..Rob was calling the red zone plays, DT & Rex were then involved with the other D calls which lead to all the confusion..

48 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It actually works in many places.

I only know of a few and they are teams with strong football owners in place such as the Steelers and Giants. Teams like the Jets, with an owner who is not around much and knows little about football, needs a traditional power structure.

Just now, C Mart said:

Is he calling all the plays?  That reportedly was an issue w/the Bills..Rob was calling the red zone plays, DT & Rex were then involved with the other D calls which lead to all the confusion..

Do you have a source on the bolded part?  I was talking with a Bills fan who was frustrated with the fact that everyone thinks Rob was the DC calling the plays.  I had a feeling he was calling some plays b/c he wouldn't be on the sideline with the play sheet and the headset if he wasn't but can't seem to find any proof.

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I agree but I don't think they'll go very lean next year. Not after a 4-win season (ok, maybe it'll end up 5 wins).

Too many contracts & players are obvious goodbyes, and Maccagnan's job likely isn't secure enough to survive going 2-14 after dropping from 10 wins to 4 or 5.

Sadly, it's far more likely he'll get us into even more expensive contracts to replace the lousy ones he signed 2 years earlier. We'll improve to 7-9 or 8-8, and it's anyone's guess whether or not that's enough for either to survive another offseason. Probably yes, but it depends how they arrived at that record.

Good times.

If they get sucked into big contracts for anything outside of core positions that can help and be here in a rebuild, we are completely Fk'd. I am OK with them signing Glennon to a deal, but if they start shelling out big contracts to aging vets, we are totally screwed, because we have a much bigger problem than Bowles or Maccagnan, and that is that Woody is even more incompetent than I think he is.

Just now, NoBowles said:

If they get sucked into big contracts for anything outside of core positions that can help and be here in a rebuild, we are completely Fk'd. I am OK with them signing Glennon to a deal, but if they start shelling out big contracts to aging vets, we are totally screwed, because we have a much bigger problem than Bowles or Maccagnan, and that is that Woody is even more incompetent than I think he is.

I'm good with judicious shelling out cash to YOUNG guys, i.e. guys on their second contract, at critical positions because there should be plenty of cap money available. I'm for the betterment of the roster, however it gets done.

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

I'm good with judicious shelling out cash to YOUNG guys, i.e. guys on their second contract, at critical positions because there should be plenty of cap money available. I'm for the betterment of the roster, however it gets done.

I feel the same way, I just hope they don't sign a bunch of short term fixes to save their jobs next year.

Just now, NoBowles said:

I feel the same way, I just hope they don't sign a bunch of short term fixes to save their jobs next year.

I feel the roster is not as dreadful as it seems. I think it's been upgraded, youth and talent wise. BUT, there are no playmakers on it, no ELITE players. This draft should remedy that somewhat. Or not...who knows?

8 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Do you have a source on the bolded part?  I was talking with a Bills fan who was frustrated with the fact that everyone thinks Rob was the DC calling the plays.  I had a feeling he was calling some plays b/c he wouldn't be on the sideline with the play sheet and the headset if he wasn't but can't seem to find any proof.

There was also the perception that, by Ryan adding his twin brother to the staff and having essentially three defensive coordinators, there were simply too many cooks in the kitchen. During the Bills’ four-game winning streak early in the season, Ryan said defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman had assumed play-calling duties; but Ryan also said Rob was responsible for red-zone calls; then a few weeks ago, Ryan said he himself had been making calls all along. If they were winning, it wouldn’t have mattered, but when calls got in late, or players appeared to be confused about their assignments, this only heightened the scrutiny. You can understand that Ryan wanted to help rehabilitate his brother’s career, but instead, it ended up playing a role in hurting his own.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/27/

45 minutes ago, SBBound said:

I support the above.  I believe the Giants made Coughlin coach in the last year of his contract at least once.

People are talking about Coughlin like he is the second coming of Lombardi.   He struggled with the Giants many seasons.

Archived