Chan Gailey the fall guy

kmnj

Just now, August said:

I said this before but how is Chan the problem? Last year he was the OC of a top 10 offense with the very same QB that a year later regressed. How is Chan responsible for the QB playing like trash?

The problem I have with Chan is that when he knew his QB regressed, to not lean on him so much. Use more of the running game. It seemed to disappear at times in the second half of games

Just seems like a mistake to dump the offensive coordinator your two young QBs have been working with, only to have them start learning a new offense the year you're hoping one or both of them could compete for a starting job. And it seems to me that the bigger problems were on the defensive side, beginning with the high priced veterans underperforming and mouthing off. The offense achieved in 2015 largely because of the weak schedule and all the takeaways the defense produced. Defensive minded head coaches generally like to be conservative on offense, but you can't be conservative on offense unless your defense is getting them a lot of extra opportunities. 

Here is my problem. If you are going on a rebuild (a retool, re-whatever), do you want a 64 year old OC? It could take 2-4 years to groom/build a QB (especially if he isn't on the team right now). Don't you want a guy that can be here for the next 6 years (if he works out)? Hack hasn't played yet; We will likely grab another QB, this may be the safest time in the next 4 years to change the OC.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The problem I have with Chan is that when he knew his QB regressed, to not lean on him so much. Use more of the running game. It seemed to disappear at times in the second half of games

And in those same games defenses were stopping our run game so how else were we going to move the ball?

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That usually happens when you're down 2-3 TD's.

This might seem weird but one of the things that really bothers me is Bowles insecure smile. I have met quite a few persons with the same smile and appearance and they rarely, if ever, make good leaders. If you're going to lead a bunch of superstars to fortune and glory you need to at least try and behave as some sort of determined person. 

10 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Here is my problem. If you are going on a rebuild (a retool, re-whatever), do you want a 64 year old OC? It could take 2-4 years to groom/build a QB (especially if he isn't on the team right now). Don't you want a guy that can be here for the next 6 years (if he works out)? Hack hasn't played yet; We will likely grab another QB, this may be the safest time in the next 4 years to change the OC.

nothing wrong with a 64 year old OC-the 64 year old coach in new england does just fine-we just elected a guy to be president of our country that hit 70 and I think that job is a bit more critical

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Not sure how you fire one without the other both need to go. Chan was awful, Bowles was even worse

yep either keep both or show both the door

next year we will have to hear bowles built in excuse about "learning the new offense"

this is very rex like -similar to rex firing the OC in Buff after his team put up 30+ points on offense while him and his brothers d was shredded lol

52 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I was saying the same thing week in and week out. Forte would have 60-something yards at halftime then get three carries in the second half. Seems like if the Jets got behind - even if it was only three points - it was pass crazy time and Fitz clearly wasn't up to the task. I doubt if Geno would have done much better had he not gotten hurt. Not a whole lot else to say. It was poor communication from HC to OC to QB and the entire offense suffered.

45 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

This might seem weird but one of the things that really bothers me is Bowles insecure smile. I have met quite a few persons with the same smile and appearance and they rarely, if ever, make good leaders. If you're going to lead a bunch of superstars to fortune and glory you need to at least try and behave as some sort of determined person. 

He just isn't firm enough of a leader to be the head coach. Guys late to meetings under Tom Coughlin, BB, Gruden, Tomlin etc..not tolerable. What did Bowles do? Sat Mo and Richardson down for a quarter. Not tough enough. Should have benched them for the whole game and nailed them with a fine on top of it. If he continues this way the Jets will be no better in 17.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Chiefs game is the perfect example. They were in that game reasonably. And he keeps Fitz throwing. 6 INTs later...

He didn't keep putting Fitz back in the game the HC did, the OC can only work with what he has. 

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

nothing wrong with a 64 year old OC-the 64 year old coach in new england does just fine-we just elected a guy to be president of our country that hit 70 and I think that job is a bit more critical

The 64 year old coach has been winning for 10 years; I can understand if he was not talking about retiring AGAIN soon - so do you want to start off training a new group of QBs (instead of working with a guy you had coached before).

No comment on the politics...

1 hour ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Really interesting observation.

12 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

kacy should be the fall guy. i dont like that chan is leaving with our two young qbs. now they got to learn a new offense. hack is already fixing his mechanics now hes got to learn a new system? not promosing unless they get someone like mccoy

I really don't think the playbook is a big deal. Fitz & Petty played like sh*t anyway, plus they might be keeping the young guy that was already the liaison between Chan & the QBs. We have many fans talking about going after Glennon or Tyrod or even Romo, Cutler, none of these guys know our playbook & 2017 is a complete reboot anyway. 

And your damn right about Kacey. If that guy stays I have zero faith in our defense in 2017. Those 2 drives by the Colts, WHO SUCKED THIS YEAR, alone he should have been fired. I've never, ever seen 2 TDs in 2 opening drives with guys so WIDE OPEN the defense wasn't even in the screen on the TV! Gruden was beside himself cause I don't think he'd ever seen a defense that incompetent in his career which is saying something.

Gailey was predictable at times and overly conservative at times but if you watched the games closely there were alot of guys open with his plays. 2 reasons they weren't successful were that Fitz couldn't get the ball to them because of his noodle arm and he didn't have the time to throw to them because of the offensive line being unsuccessful. What I do like about him is he utilizes the tools he has quite well.

Archived