Do the Jets have to sign a QB before the draft?

Freemanm

Among the many holes the Jets have to fill, it is abundantly clear that the first one that needs to be filled is QB. The draft doesn't seem to have any QBs that are worthy of a top 10 pick, and even so, with at least three of the teams ahead of the Jets in the draft needing QBs, Trubisky and Watson most likely will be long gone by #6. Does it make more sense to swing a deal for Mike Glennon, who is still young and has starter potential, and then go BPA in the draft?

i personally think this is the best route, as the Jets have needs at nearly every position, safety and CB especially. 

By the way, why hasn't Revis been cut yet?

I think it depends on what their intentions are at the position and what they want to do with Petty. I doubt they let Petty and Hack battle it out and sign a Jag vet. It will be interesting to see what they do in free agency because that will obviously give us a good idea what they plan on doing in the draft at the QB position. 

7 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Among the many holes the Jets have to fill, it is abundantly clear that the first one that needs to be filled is QB. The draft doesn't seem to have any QBs that are worthy of a top 10 pick, and even so, with at least three of the teams ahead of the Jets in the draft needing QBs, Trubisky and Watson most likely will be long gone by #6. Does it make more sense to swing a deal for Mike Glennon, who is still young and has starter potential, and then go BPA in the draft?

i personally think this is the best route, as the Jets have needs at nearly every position, safety and CB especially. 

By the way, why hasn't Revis been cut yet?

i don't think the jets or any team can sign any free agents except their own before march.  at that time expect to see some movement and more rumors about the guys the jets are pursuing.  as for how they play the qb issue, it's anyone's guess at this point.  there doesn't deem to be a sure fire starter in the draft so that means relying on hack or petty or getting a vet.  that means via free agency or trade and if they just need a guy to keep the seat warm while petty and hack fight it out then that means another fitz type qb.  but if they do go free agent they may as well go with a guy like cousins and get it over with.  get a starter who will be around for the 4 or 5 seasons.

as for revis, they need to mull his value versus his cap hit if he's cut.  it's clear he had a real off season but is it something he desires to come back strong from?  if so maybe they take the chance and keep him on, although maybe they could restructure so they pay way less.

there are still lots of ways to look at this off season.

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

No QBs worth a top 10 pick, but two will be gone by #6.  Boy these GMs are dumb.

Not dumb just desperate for talent at the position. Which is why Cousins and probably Glennon are going to be WAY overpaid. Think Cousins will settle with skins before FA and curious to see how high the market for Glennon goes.

Not dumb just desperate for talent at the position. Which is why Cousins and probably Glennon are going to be WAY overpaid. Think Cousins will settle with skins before FA and curious to see how high the market for Glennon goes.

This is what I worry about with Glennon. After a turd like Osweiler gets a contract like that, his agent must be foaming at the mouth.

17 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I think it depends on what their intentions are at the position and what they want to do with Petty. I doubt they let Petty and Hack battle it out and sign a Jag vet. It will be interesting to see what they do in free agency because that will obviously give us a good idea what they plan on doing in the draft at the QB position. 

You doubt it? Because it's the proper way to go about things? If that's the case then I agree. You need to take the guys are already drafted and get a full year out of them to really dig in and see what you have because no 3 game audition with malcontent players and 1st time starters from the PS will tell you the whole story. You drafted these guys for a reason...time to go out and see what strides they have taken and what the situation truly is for the QB position. This years draft for QB's is absolute GARBAGE. And FA QB's who demand big contracts just aren't worth it when we have other glaring issues..not to mention they will set us back and keep us from signing young talent at CB or maybe OL. Luckily what this draft is rich in is talent in every other position across the board. down to projected 5th round players. Talent in the TE's, RB's, CB's, Safety,etc. it's the perfect opportunity to use those picks to our full advantage for other holes. Test our current QB's out and then if niether of them progress to a high standard...next years QB's look dynamic. Imho that's how we should play this offseason....we aren't going to the SB next year with a FA, draft pick or current QB's...so let's try to do this diligently.

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

You doubt it? Because it's the proper way to go about things? If that's the case then I agree. You need to take the guys are already drafted and get a full year out of them to really dig in and see what you have because no 3 game audition with malcontent players and 1st time starters from the PS will tell you the whole story. You drafted these guys for a reason...time to go out and see what strides they have taken and what the situation truly is for the QB position. This years draft for QB's is absolute GARBAGE. And FA QB's who demand big contracts just aren't worth it when we have other glaring issues..not to mention they will set us back and keep us from signing young talent at CB or maybe OL. Luckily what this draft is rich in is talent in every other position across the board. down to projected 5th round players. Talent in the TE's, RB's, CB's, Safety,etc. it's the perfect opportunity to use those picks to our full advantage for other holes. Test our current QB's out and then if niether of them progress to a high standard...next years QB's look dynamic. Imho that's how we should play this offseason....we aren't going to the SB next year with a FA, draft pick or current QB's...so let's try to do this diligently.

Totally agree. My great preference would be to trade down and accumulate picks to fill more holes (need a willing partner, I know). In an ideal world we'd acquire additional picks for 2018 so we'll have the ammo to trade up for Darnold/Rosen if need be. I could see us winning 4-6 games and having the #8 and needing some ammo.

If they plan on cutting petty or hack and drafting another qb within the first 3 rounds or not drafting a qb this year I think they absolutely have to sign a vet. Otherwise I'm happy with kicking the tires on what we have and seeing what happens. I have a feeling Mac will pick up a beat up vet in free agency like a Romo or Cutler and still draft a young guy, we will probably go into the season with 4 on the roster again and the vet will wind up on the ir.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

On January 26, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Adoni Beast said:

We'll probably sign Hoyer or Barkley. Someone like that. I can't see us spending 12-15 million on Glennon.

Glennon will end up with Broncos or Cardinals. 

Hoyer/Barkley?  That is nauseating I'd rather watch us go 1-15 with Petty/Hack than waste time with those clowns

7 minutes ago, thadude said:

Glennon will end up with Broncos or Cardinals. 

Hoyer/Barkley?  That is nauseating I'd rather watch us go 1-15 with Petty/Hack than waste time with those clowns

Oh I'm not advocating for Hoyer or Barkley lol trust me. I'd rather start Petty / Hack, tank and draft Darnold or Rosen in 2018. I'm just saying what I think we'll do. Yes it will be nauseating to say the least.

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Oh I'm not advocating for Hoyer or Barkley lol trust me. I'd rather start Petty / Hack, tank and draft Darnold or Rosen in 2018. I'm just saying what I think we'll do. Yes it will be nauseating to say the least.

Hoyer is gay

There are 2 ways (or many ways to look at this).

1-these rookie QBs are a complete crapshoot, and drafting one is no assurance that they will ever play or play well.  You draft a QB that does not work, you do not pick a franchise changing EDGE, etc. that can only be picked at the top of the first round.

2-uncertain veteran FA QBs will get real, real money.  Glennon definitely over 10, Taylor over 15.  Last year Ronnie Stanley, the number 6 pick, received a 4 year contract for 20mm.  So as far as crap shoot QB picking, using your 1st round pick is cheaper than signing FA.  By alot.

When Mac joined the team in 2015, they were comfortable marching out with Geno, and Fitz was signed as a backup.  We know how that ended up.

The concern for me is what Hoyer's agent says, if he was contacted.  He like Fitz would want starter money, since the Jets currently do not have a starting QB on the roster.  

So one would presume that a veteran needs to be signed, but for how much?

This team CANNOT sign a veteran stiff like Hoyer or even Romo or Cutler for that matter.  The Jets have to let Petty play out the year and see what he can do.  If they have absolutely no faith in him, let Hackenberg start, or at least be the first option off the bench.  If they have zero faith in either (which is likely the case), draft another QB, assuming they have a top ten grade on any of the available ones.  Rinse, wash, repeat until they find a legitimate QB.  Being a treading water franchise clearly doesn't work and never leads to sustained success.

3 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

This team CANNOT sign a veteran stiff like Hoyer or even Romo or Cutler for that matter.  The Jets have to let Petty play out the year and see what he can do.  If they have absolutely no faith in him, let Hackenberg start, or at least be the first option off the bench.  If they have zero faith in either (which is likely the case), draft another QB, assuming they have a top ten grade on any of the available ones.  Rinse, wash, repeat until they find a legitimate QB.  Being a treading water franchise clearly doesn't work and never leads to sustained success.

I fundamentally agree with this, but then the question becomes whether we draft a QB high and let them slug it out, or sign a veteran who is told they are a backup.

At least with Geno at QB in 2015, they had a QB who won 8 games in a season.  In 2017, the Jets currently have zippo   Even if they Jets are rebuilding, they have to provide a quasi-professional quality level of play.  Believe it or not, people thought that Browns did in 2016 despite their record.  For many games, the Jets in 2016 did not.  

I would rather bring Fitz back cheap than pay Romo or Cutler-that is going no where.  The question then really is whether you would rather pay Taylor (if available) or Glennon that money they would require, understanding that their body of work is, or pick a QB at 6 (although they will not know who will be available there-could be no one).

I am getting the feeling that Petty may be toast here.  The stars are not aligning in his favor.

With a beefed up O-LINE Petty and Hack would do well. Given time to throw the ball, almozt any QB in the NFL will be successful. Look at the Cowboys. Would Dak have the success he had this year with the Jets O-LINE. Put the money on the line.

On 1/26/2017 at 10:33 AM, Adoni Beast said:

We'll probably sign Hoyer or Barkley. Someone like that. I can't see us spending 12-15 million on Glennon.

This is probably likely, but if we're going down this road why not kick the tires on ........... Tyler Bray. He's 26 and has been in the Andy Reid playbook at least. 

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, Beerfish said:

If we carry 4 QBs next year so help me.

If we carry 4 QB's that cannot play that is .. We can have 50 QB's on the roster but if the moron does not let them play what is the point?

On 1/25/2017 at 10:29 AM, FTL Jet Fan said:

I doubt they let Petty and Hack battle it out and sign a Jag vet.

I think this is EXACTLY what they will do. IMHO.

I think they will, essentially, punt on a QB in this draft. As mentioned, odds are SF will go for a QB and its possible but not as likely that CHI and CLE are also targeting QBs. So the consensus #1 QB in a weak QB draft won't even be there at 6. With so many holes and so many other great prospect available at 6, they will simply go with BPA and I highly doubt that will be a QB. Now, if they absolutely fall in love with one of the QBs leading up to the draft, you can't really argue against taking a shot at him at 6. But again, I doubt that will happen. 

The other thing is this plays out perfectly to give Hack a legit shot to earn the starting gig. I truly believe that Hack can beat out Petty in a QB competition. Unlike some, I think Hack is way more prepped to start than people give him credit for. Mentally, he is probably there already. If he shows in camp and pre-season that he has improved his accuracy and worked on his mechanics, even by a few degrees, he will get a shot and he will probably beat out Petty. A vet is important in case of injury and in case neither Petty or Hack show they are ready (or take a hold of the starting gig).

Reaching for a QB high in the draft means they don't have much faith in Hack. It also means they go into next season with a guy who has yet to play, a 3rd year project player, and a rookie.  

Bringing in a high priced FA like Glennon means Hack (and Petty) loses his shot to start. You don't bring in a young, high priced FA QB and have him 'battle it out' for a starting job. You sign him to be your starter. I don't see that happening, I don't think Glennon is good enough where its worth taking that financial gamble and possibly stunting the development of Hack- who Macc heavily scouted and took in the second round last year.

Also, just for the record. Nobody is 'tanking' for Darnold in 2018.  

Also, just for the record, Macc WILL do his due dilligence and scout QBs. There will be a lot of rumors swirling about Jets being interested in this QB or that QB, but in the end, I doubt the Jets draft ANY QB.

In fact, if there is a QB like Watson or Trubinsky at 6, the Jets are more likely to use him as trade bait and trade down, maybe with the Browns, maybe with the Bills, maybe even the Cardinals or Saints (who have no young QB depth behind a 38 yr old Brees).

In the end, I predict Jets stay pat and take BPA- Leonard Fournette. My top 5 prediction below.

1. CLE: Garrett

2. SF: Trubinsky

3. CHI: Kizer

4. Jax: Allen 

5. Tenn: Hoooker

6. NYJ: Fournette

20 hours ago, PepPep said:

I think this is EXACTLY what they will do. IMHO.

I think they will, essentially, punt on a QB in this draft. As mentioned, odds are SF will go for a QB and its possible but not as likely that CHI and CLE are also targeting QBs. So the consensus #1 QB in a weak QB draft won't even be there at 6. With so many holes and so many other great prospect available at 6, they will simply go with BPA and I highly doubt that will be a QB. Now, if they absolutely fall in love with one of the QBs leading up to the draft, you can't really argue against taking a shot at him at 6. But again, I doubt that will happen. 

The other thing is this plays out perfectly to give Hack a legit shot to earn the starting gig. I truly believe that Hack can beat out Petty in a QB competition. Unlike some, I think Hack is way more prepped to start than people give him credit for. Mentally, he is probably there already. If he shows in camp and pre-season that he has improved his accuracy and worked on his mechanics, even by a few degrees, he will get a shot and he will probably beat out Petty. A vet is important in case of injury and in case neither Petty or Hack show they are ready (or take a hold of the starting gig).

Reaching for a QB high in the draft means they don't have much faith in Hack. It also means they go into next season with a guy who has yet to play, a 3rd year project player, and a rookie.  

Bringing in a high priced FA like Glennon means Hack (and Petty) loses his shot to start. You don't bring in a young, high priced FA QB and have him 'battle it out' for a starting job. You sign him to be your starter. I don't see that happening, I don't think Glennon is good enough where its worth taking that financial gamble and possibly stunting the development of Hack- who Macc heavily scouted and took in the second round last year.

Also, just for the record. Nobody is 'tanking' for Darnold in 2018.  

Also, just for the record, Macc WILL do his due dilligence and scout QBs. There will be a lot of rumors swirling about Jets being interested in this QB or that QB, but in the end, I doubt the Jets draft ANY QB.

In fact, if there is a QB like Watson or Trubinsky at 6, the Jets are more likely to use him as trade bait and trade down, maybe with the Browns, maybe with the Bills, maybe even the Cardinals or Saints (who have no young QB depth behind a 38 yr old Brees).

In the end, I predict Jets stay pat and take BPA- Leonard Fournette. My top 5 prediction below.

1. CLE: Garrett

2. SF: Trubinsky

3. CHI: Kizer

4. Jax: Allen 

5. Tenn: Hoooker

6. NYJ: Fournette

You may be right, it makes sense but we don't know how they feel about Petty or Hack. I agree Petty needs more playing time and we haven't even see Hack take a snap, so I can't judge him. I don't think Mac or Bowles will risk their Jobs on Petty or Hack, not that I agree with that but that is the nature of the business. It will be interesting to see what they do in FA at QB. 

Archived