Is Macc really smart or really stupid?

Freemanm

57 minutes ago, KRL said:

For those who still want to praise the job Tannenbaum & Ryan did look at the wasted picks in this draft list:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3430&type=team

On top of that look how few picks we had as Tannenbaum kept trading them away.  We had a small window,

missed it and then were doomed to fail because they tried to "patch the tires"

I will still praise them.  They got the team close and despite being gone for over 4 years, they have as much or more drafted talent on roster than the two successor regimes.  The team was good, Tannenbaum traded picks to get guys he thought would help the squad.   I don't give Rex much credit or blame for the draft.  In retrospect it was the wrong way to go, but at least I understood what they were doing. Jalen Saunders, Harvin, Dmitri Patterson, Hackenberg, Fitzpatrick?  I don't understand any of them.  Offering $12M to an ILB when you just drafted one in the first?  

40 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What the guy that caught 19 balls for 186 yards last year?

You forgot the fumble return too!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'd rather question the intelligence of certain people on this board who apparently take every (often agent driven) tweet and report coming out of FA at face value.  Who knows how much the Jets have actually offered players who signed elsewhere? 

I'd also question people who complain about the actual contracts doled out  so far by Mac this offseason as overspending. While living in a bubble might be nice, take a look around at current market value- which is being driven up each offseason by the always increasing salary cap. 

I'm putting a little naive faith in Mac right now. So far, the FA they have been targeting are all on the right side of 30. They haven't thrown big money at a mediocre QB. They're in the midst of cutting the dead weight. (Gilchrist- You're next up buddy). He's been unsexy about it, but he's sealed up the OL and won't have to reach for a guy in the draft. There's a lot of work left to do, and this upcoming draft is critical, but so far, I'm on board*

*I reserve the right to take everything back if they bring in Cutler or give $$$ to Daniels or any other scrub.

The players we COULD have had instead of Coples in 2012:

- Melvin Ingram (OLB)
- Chandler Jones (OLB)
- David DeCastro (G)
- Whitney Mercilus (OLB)
- Harrison Smith (S)
- Donta Hightower (ILB)
- Doug Martin (RB)

The players we COULD have had instead of Hill in 2012:

- Alshon Jeffery (WR)
- Bobby Wagner (LB)
- Kelechi Osemele (G)
- Lavonte David (LB)

Do you think a combination of any of those players would've helped?

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

The players we COULD have had instead of Coples in 2012:

- Melvin Ingram (OLB)
- Chandler Jones (OLB)
- David DeCastro (G)
- Whitney Mercilus (OLB)
- Harrison Smith (S)
- Donta Hightower (ILB)
- Doug Martin (RB)

The players we COULD have had instead of Hill in 2012:

- Alshon Jeffery (WR)
- Bobby Wagner (LB)
- Kelechi Osemele (G)
- Lavonte David (LB)

Do you think a combination of any of those players would've helped?

What about the players we could have had instead of Devin Smith and Christian Hackenberg?

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What about the players we could have had instead of Devin Smith and Christian Hackenberg?

There are some chestnuts on these lists:

2 37 New York Jets Devin Smith  WR Ohio State Big Ten  
  2 38 Washington Redskins Preston Smith  DE Mississippi State SEC  
  2 39 Chicago Bears Eddie Goldman  DT Florida State ACC  
  2 40 Tennessee Titans Dorial Green-Beckham  WR Missouri SEC from New York Giants  [R2 - 2]
  2 41 Carolina Panthers Devin Funchess  WR Michigan Big Ten from St. Louis [R2 - 3]
  2 42 Atlanta Falcons Jalen Collins  CB LSU SEC  
  2 43 Houston Texans Benardrick McKinney  ILB Mississippi State SEC from Cleveland [R2 - 4]
  2 44 New Orleans Saints Hau'oli Kikaha  OLB Washington Pac-12  
  2 45 Minnesota Vikings Eric Kendricks  ILB UCLA Pac-12 2014 Butkus Award and Lott Trophy winner
  2 46 San Francisco 49ers Jaquiski Tartt  S Samford SoCon  
  2 47 Philadelphia Eagles Eric Rowe  CB Utah Pac-12 from Miami [R2 - 5]
2 51 New York Jets Christian Hackenberg  QB Penn State Big Ten  
  2 52 Atlanta Falcons Deion Jones  LB LSU SEC from Houston [R2 - 11]
  2 53 Washington Redskins Su'a Cravens  LB USC Pac-12  
  2 54 Minnesota Vikings Mackensie Alexander  CB Clemson ACC  
  2 55 Cincinnati Bengals Tyler Boyd  WR Pittsburgh ACC  
  2 56 Chicago Bears Cody Whitehair  G Kansas State Big 12 from Seattle [R2 - 12]
  2 57 Indianapolis Colts T. J. Green  CB Clemson ACC from Green Bay [R2 - 13]
  2 58 Pittsburgh Steelers Sean Davis  S Maryland Big Ten  
  2 59 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Roberto Aguayo  K Florida State ACC from Kansas City [R2 - 14]
  2 60 New England Patriots Cyrus Jones  CB Alabama SEC  
  2 61 New Orleans Saints Vonn Bell  S Ohio State Big Ten from Arizona via New England [R2 

6 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Most know exactly what his plan is.  My question is...

How the f*ck do you not?

Well, let's see... The Jets have no QB, no offensive line, and no secondary. Macc has money to spend, and the best he could do to plug the holes during the FA period is to sign a broken, washed up tackle and a kicker? Doesn't sound like much of a plan to me. I hope for his sake that he kicks ass in the draft. His job now depends on it.

Just now, Freemanm said:

Well, let's see... The Jets have no QB, no offensive line, and no secondary. Macc has money to spend, and the best he could do to plug the holes during the FA period is to sign a broken, washed up tackle and a kicker? Doesn't sound like much of a plan to me. I hope for his sake that he kicks ass in the draft. His job now depends on it.

And a CB

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

The plan seems rather obvious I think.  We're in full rebuild.  Expensive Vets cut.  Young cheap players and the draft the focus.  Us 2-3 years from legit contention if moves play out right.

Up to you if you think that, given where we are, is "incompetent".

Out of curiosity, who is it you think we should have signed but didn't, specifically?

Glennon, at least. Then he can go BPA in the draft. Now Macc has no choice but to hope that Watson or Trubisky is still available at #6. Oh, forgot to mention, we also still have no OL or secondary to speak of, not to mention and OLB. All Macc could do in this FA period to plug any of the holes is sign a washed up tackle and a kicker? As I said, Macc's job now depends on really kicking ass in the draft.

Just now, Freemanm said:

Glennon, at least. Then he can go BPA in the draft. Now Macc has no choice but to hope that Watson or Trubisky is still available at #6. Oh, forgot to mention, we also still have no OL or secondary to speak of, not to mention and OLB. All Macc could do in this FA period to plug any of the holes is sign a washed up tackle and a kicker? As I said, Macc's job now depends on really kicking ass in the draft.

AND A CB.

7 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Given his do nothing approach to free agency, in which all he's done is sign a washed up tackle and kicker, as well as overpay some scrubs (I won't even get into his pathetic attempt to lure Hightower), does he have some sort of brilliant master plan that no one seems to know about or does his non-action signify that he is totally incompetent?

what did you expect in free agency on a rebuild ?? Seriously why even ask this question ? I know you could not possibly expect the Jets to contend this season so staying quiet in FA is exactly what we needed to do. 

What we are seeing now is probably the Real Macc without a meddling owner who wanted or expected to win the last 2 seasons.

27 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Team is going nowhere next year. why pay premium prices for some guy's best years when he will not be able to hhelp you when you really need him?

I'm ok with that -- if it's for a player on offense that will help a young QB develop. Great blocking & receiving assets, veterans who know what the hell they're doing, etc. But gobbling up cap flexibility to overpay for an oft-injured ILB while we're not even contenders? 

Like with any other veteran, if they overpaid this one player $3m per, it's not good but not tragic either. Problem is it's happening with almost every signing.

• Ijalana is a $2.5-3m backup and we wait until he's a UFA to pay him double.
  • After a pretty bad 2016 season, Beachum shouldn't be getting twice the guaranteed money Clady got last year.
  • After seeing him start 10 games in 2015, they should have had Winters locked up at $4-5m (under the very real threat of making him a backup his last year here).
  • Revis made $19m per for 1 good year and one meh-to-bad year.
  • Cro was overpriced by $3m for his 1 yr here.
  • Harris was overpriced by $2m per.
  • Skrine at $6m was just stupid. 
  • Putting Giacomini on PUP instead of cutting him at the end of August, and in doing so guaranteeing his $5m at an absolute minimum rate of $500k/game that ended up being $1m/game.
  • Putting the squeeze on Brick a year too late, and even in '16 it was done after the non-Clady options had dried up but before the draft lol.
  • Guaranteeing 2 years and $9m to a 31-year old RB with 2000 carries of NFL punishment under his belt, then almost that amount to 28 yr old Powell the very next day, forgoing 2017 comp draft picks for each one. You do one of them, not both.
  • Jarvis Jenkins for $3m
  • Ryan effing Fitzpatrick at $12m at the effing end of effing July. 

And almost all of this is just over his first 2 years.

Though some are worse than others, it's not any one of them; it's all of them an extra $2-3m each (or all $12m of it in Fitz's case). Then people wonder how we could have started this offseason $8m over the cap despite only having a sh*tty roster that managed 5 wins last year (and even that pathetic total required beating only the winless Browns, the Ravens with Flacco nursing a bum shoulder, a late-season OT win against the 1-win 49ers, and a wk 17 win vs the Bills, who fired their HC a week early just so they could bench their only competent QB against us).

The only truly good deal we've gotten under Macc, that we're all happy with for more than 1 season, is Carpenter. And that one was a lot of luck, since he's been better for us than he was with Seattle, and we kind of ended up with him more than we truly coveted/targeted him. 

Mac's done ok by me.   It's too early to judge the draft picks.  Lee and/or Smith could pan out and he's found good players deep in the draft.

Mac's done a good job not killing our cap.  All those deals were for short years.  This years FA plan was smart.  I approve the tank.

The Fitz deal didnt hurt us at all yet some posters rail on it. 

Just now, dcJet said:

Mac's done ok by me.   It's too early to judge the draft picks.  Lee and/or Smith could pan out and he's found good players deep in the draft.

Mac's done a good job not killing our cap.  All those deals were for short years.  This years FA plan was smart.  I approve the tank.

The Fitz deal didnt hurt us at all yet some posters rail on it. 

This is the deciding year for Macc.

24 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

The plan is to field a young team that tries hard, goes 2-14, accumulate premium draft picks, and build from the ground up.  No valid reason to add overpaid vets through fraud agency....at least until year two or three of the rebuild, that is.

Wow.  Complicated, huh? Oh wait... the Browns already did the same thing last year... so maybe you should have figured it out for yourself. Or you could have ready any number of my posts. I've only been typing this same plan since the 2nd half of week 3.

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It's really, really hard to be good at anything related to building a good football without a franchise QB. It's all rearranging the deck chairs until you find that key piece. If Mac has an eye on building a nucleus or a "shell" into which he can deposit, oh, say Sam Darnold or Rosen, then yes. Building a decent young O-line and some skill players in this draft with the expectation of player growth but not team success this year, then I'm all for it. 

But drafting one of the underwhelming QBs in this draft out.of knee-jerk reaction, OR being stubborn and grabbing another throwaway vet QB (Cutler/Daniel) while you develop the very underwhelming stable of "his guys" despite any evidence they just don't have it, and he'll have zero credibility as a GM in charge.

The reason I still have hope for Mac beyond anything I ever had for the accountant or the empty suit before him, is that he came up from the scouting side and knows that part of the game, and had to learn the Management portion of the job, as opposed to Idziot or Tanny, who had the Middle/Upper manager, organization-speak down, but didn't have a clue about talent evaluation.

People can learn Office Skills. Talent evaluation takes years. I still have hope for Mac, but yes, I think after this year, Bowles gotta go and we need to start leaning towards Offense as an organization. We have 2 more years of elite level Brady& Bellichick to contend with, so we're not going anywhere anyway. Use the time to be ready to take over when Brady quits. 

I don't see anything empirical that's proof he has talent in evaluating anything. Third year on the job and he's found what, 2 good young players? At that rate we'll have a competitive team by 2024. 

6 hours ago, Jets1214 said:

I think the jury is still out on Mac but we have to much larger problems then him:  Woody and Bowles.

Woody is clearly the one who mandated the "competitive rebuild" nonsense that lead Mac to make the moves he made in 2015.  Idzik left this team in such bad shape that Masc should have done a total rebuild from Day 1.  But Woody is such a insecure putz that he needs his team to be relevant to serve his ego and thus we went for the competitive rebuild. And in truth, going 10-6 that year was thw worst thing that could have happened because it lead us to having to compete again in 2016 wiht a tougher sked, declining vets and a QB we KNEW would regress.  I put that blame squarely on Woody over Mac.

Bowles is another major problem.  He has shown me nothing over the past two seasons that he is anything more then a less entertaining, less knowledgeble version of Rex. And I have zero faith that he knows how to develop a QB correctly.

Mac?  I not sure yet.  This really should have been what he was doing in year 1 instead of year 3.  Hes shown he can find talent (see our kiddie WR corp) and his drafting overall has been OK (at best)...we need to wait an see how guys like Lee, Smith, Burris, Jenkins, Shell and Mauldin pan out this year.  But I'll be frank...I don't care if he signs even one FA this off season.  There is no player or even two or three that is going to turn this team into a SB contender.  And in my mind, any goal short of that is just a waste of time.  Bringing in a Jay Cutler so we can win 5 games next year instead of 2 serves no purpose.  We need to rebuild our OL and Beacham was a smart, low risk move rather then overpaying for an aging Whitworth.  Mac MUST show now that he can rebuild through the draft and somehow find us a FQB prospect to DRAFT.  I have no problem with this team playing out this season as is and getting a crack at one of the true FQB prospects in the 2018 draft.  I know that's not a popular stance among many fans who want to see entertaining football every Sunday.  But my days of being happy with 9-7 and then one and out in the playoffs are long gone.  I am long ready to be patient and build a true winner and I am willing to give Mac a few more years to do it.  I just hope Woody being across the pond and Bowels eventual dismissal will allow us to stay on that track

Great post, except for the bolded part.  Please don't mess with our 10-6 season. That was one of the best things that happened to us in recent years, not the worst. 

If you didnt enjoy that season, then why are you even watching football?

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

Lol. You're the guy who thinks the Jets should go after all the big names in FA huh. Give out huge contracts to old veteran players. That should work out real well. 

58 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm ok with that -- if it's for a player on offense that will help a young QB develop. Great blocking & receiving assets, veterans who know what the hell they're doing, etc. But gobbling up cap flexibility to overpay for an oft-injured ILB while we're not even contenders? 

Like with any other veteran, if they overpaid this one player $3m per, it's not good but not tragic either. Problem is it's happening with almost every signing.

• After a pretty bad 2016 season, Beachum shouldn't be getting twice the guaranteed money Clady got last year.
  • After seeing him start 10 games in 2015, they should have had Winters locked up at $4-5m (under the very real threat of making him a backup his last year here).
  • Putting Giacomini on PUP instead of cutting him at the end of August, and in doing so guaranteeing his $5m at an absolute minimum rate of $500k/game that ended up being $1m/game.
  • Putting the squeeze on Brick a year too late, and even in '16 it was done after the non-Clady options had dried up but before the draft lol.
  • Guaranteeing 2 years and $9m to a 31-year old RB with 2000 carries of NFL punishment under his belt, then almost that amount to 28 yr old Powell the very next day, forgoing 2017 comp draft picks for each one. You do one of them, not both.
  • Jarvis Jenkins for $3m

Though some are worse than others, it's not any one of them; it's all of them an extra $2-3m each (or all $12m of it in Fitz's case). Then people wonder how we could have started this offseason $8m over the cap despite only having a sh*tty roster that managed 5 wins last year (and even that pathetic total required beating only the winless Browns, the Ravens with Flacco nursing a bum shoulder, a late-season OT win against the 1-win 49ers, and a wk 17 win vs the Bills, who fired their HC a week early just so they could bench their only competent QB against us).

The only truly good deal we've gotten under Macc, that we're all happy with for more than 1 season, is Carpenter. And that one was a lot of luck, since he's been better for us than he was with Seattle, and we kind of ended up with him more than we truly coveted/targeted him. giacomini.

Hate Skrine. Loved Harris but not that much.  Never even think about Giacomini. Gotta admit never thought Revis would fall off the cliff like this.  Good post. Everything is right on.  I disagree a little on signing assets to help hopeless QB s.  I want a QB who can make my assets better.  That is realy what Brady does.  He makes you not need stars at every position.

8 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Hate Skrine. Loved Harris but not that much.  Never even think about Giacomini. Gotta admit never thought Revis would fall off the cliff like this.  Good post. Everything is right on.  I disagree a little on signing assets to help hopeless QB s.  I want a QB who can make my assets better.  That is realy what Brady does.  He makes you not need stars at every position.

Brady is in a system he knows inside and out a system hes been in for 17 years thats what makes that team tick and its also what makes it easy to plug in players. The only way a QB is going to be able to elevate other players around him is years of playing in the same system

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Because record is not going to be the deciding factor. It's player progress on the field

yeah and Woody and his idiot family know so much about player development Im sure they can come up with a good evaluation. 

35 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Ideally, yes. But as great as it is to happen, kinda have to be realistic about a kid right out of school not yet making everybody better. Not saying he needs to be carried (read: hidden) like we've done in the past, but the position is hard enough (and is why you're seeing guys like Fitz, Osweiller, Glennon, etc. get paid). If it was so easy to just plug & play, teams wouldn't desperately reach for QBs in the draft (and frankly, in FA) every year.

Plus then there are no "what if" discussions, had the Jets provided their young QB with better talent around him. Anyway, I just think if you're going to overpay stupidly, at least do it to ease the transition from college to NFL for the guy who we hope will become the most important player on the team.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

• Jarvis Jenkins for $3m

The only truly good deal we've gotten under Macc, that we're all happy with for more than 1 season, is Carpenter. And that one was a lot of luck, since he's been better for us than he was with Seattle, and we kind of ended up with him more than we truly coveted/targeted him. 

I completely agree with this post and it hits one of the nails head on.

The second nail is all of the draft picks that were traded away for patchwork/short-term veterans.

The third nail are the missed draft picks.  We can leave that to Macc's picks since he is the only one still relevant.

What we do not agree on is the cause of this dysfunction.  I am of the view that this is the result of a team effort, and each of the team members looks worse than they would if on a different team.  Vince Lombardi and Ozzie Newsome would look different on this team.   In order to achieve a better/desired result, Woody needs to change the way the team is structured, which includes his own role.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I completely agree with this post and it hits one of the nails head on.

The second nail is all of the draft picks that were traded away for patchwork/short-term veterans.

The third nail are the missed draft picks.  We can leave that to Macc's picks since he is the only one still relevant.

What we do not agree on is the cause of this dysfunction.  I am of the view that this is the result of a team effort, and each of the team members looks worse than they would if on a different team.  Vince Lombardi and Ozzie Newsome would look different on this team.   In order to achieve a better/desired result, Woody needs to change the way the team is structured, which includes his own role.

Well Woody did change his own role, so there's that. Unfortunately he put his freaking brother into his old role instead of an ex-GM/HC. Maccagnan has said Woody has let them do what they want and, when they were discussing the Fitz re-signing, indicated that he and Davidson aren't/haven't been under Woody's micromanaging thumb.

This isnt madden. You can't just add a little to the expected bonus and salary, press a button and sign a guy. The way last season ended was embarrassing and everyone expects Bowles to be fired.
The jets will not be able to attract talent at market price until they have some kind of positive momentum and an effing QB.
Until then they have to draft lights out and spend wisely.

Sent from my LGLS992 using JetNation.com mobile app

I believe the that the past moves have been a result of a brain trust in a room looking the missing pieces of the puzzle.  

If Macc wants a job he needs to draft great and good players.  All positions.  He is now starting from scratch, and he should listen to others at his peril.  

10 hours ago, KRL said:

Until fans realize that the state of this team is directly tied to the poor decisions made
from 2011 - 2014 all they'll do is whine, complain and blame Maccagnan / Bowles.  Look at
the awful drafts that Tannenbaum, Ryan (yes, he was responsible) and Idzik had in that time
period.  That should be the core of our team right now but it's not, most of those players
are out of football.  We were going to ultimately collapse because we had no foundation.
We had success in 2015 and tried to milk it in 2016, the key players failed and now we
rebuild.  Deal with it

right.  the only thing he hasn't done yet is get a good qb on the team.  is hack the answer?  still a maybe but considering where this team started, it's about where they should be in their pursuit for a good qb.  geno proved to be a loser and fitz just another journeyman and lynch is the only other qb they had a shot at in the drft so far.

as for the free agents he brought in, i didn't exactly hear anyone complain about any of the signings.  maybe a tinge about revis' contract but not about getting him back.

Archived