Is Macc really smart or really stupid?

Freemanm

Given his do nothing approach to free agency, in which all he's done is sign a washed up tackle and kicker, as well as overpay some scrubs (I won't even get into his pathetic attempt to lure Hightower), does he have some sort of brilliant master plan that no one seems to know about or does his non-action signify that he is totally incompetent?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He blew it 2 years ago.   Almost all of his signings blew up in his face, aside from Carpenter and Fitz (the 1st year).  It makes sense not to be doing that again.

His drafts have not produced a ton yet, but give that one more year to really see.  Really though, this team is no better off than when he took over 2 years ago.

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He blew it 2 years ago.   Almost all of his signings blew up in his face, aside from Carpenter and Fitz (the 1st year).  It makes sense not to be doing that again.

His drafts have not produced a ton yet, but give that one more year to really see.  Really though, this team is no better off than when he took over 2 years ago.

He used a ton of cap space, and a ton of draft picks, to augment a weak roster and nearly every player used used the cap/picks on was gone/useless to us by year 2 of his tenure.

Not a good sign.

9 minutes ago, chirorob said:

What blew up in his face exatly?

Marshall had a 115 catch season coupled with Fitz having a career year and the team won 10 games.  Then as firz regressed the veterans regressed in step and he was able to move on from marshall with zero dead money and clady with zero dead money.  Was Mac supposed to know that a first ballot HOF would suddenly show up to camp 15 lbs overweight and drop his effort level to 40%?

Is there some FA that we missed out on that we should have paid big money to?  He offered tony jefferson the most money, and he took less to go to Baltimore, is that Mac's fault?

I am totally fine with the mid-tier FA work he has done and would like to see us bring in Zach Brown and Morris Clairborne to at least take a look, but IMO this is far from Mac's fault.

I'm hoping the Hightower pursuit came from Woody, who gets some pleasure from tweaking Bob Kraft, and that Mac intentionally half-assed the effort to sign him. That's the best case scenario to me for an otherwise dumb idea. 

I'm content with the bargain bin shopping this year. The Jets need bodies. Special teamers, depth, etc. The high-priced free agents can wait until they have a team that they believe is that mythical one player away. 

The team overachieved in 2015 and that left Macc no choice but to go for broke in 2016. It didn't work out, but can you imagine this place if Macc had taken the slash and burn approach at this time last year. At least he recognized that the team, as it was constructed, was going nowhere. His drafts have not been terrible. The only one who look like he's going to bust is Smith. We won't know about Hack at least until the end of this season.

Re the Hightower visit, do we know what kind of guarantees he was offered? My guess is that there was not a lot of guaranteed money and that he would have been cuttable after two years. If nothing else, hopefully it caused the Pats to pony up a couple of dollars more.

Just now, slats said:

I'm hoping the Hightower pursuit came from Woody, who gets some pleasure from tweaking Bob Kraft, and that Mac intentionally half-assed the effort to sign him. That's the best case scenario to me for an otherwise dumb idea. 

I'm content with the bargain bin shopping this year. The Jets need bodies. Special teamers, depth, etc. The high-priced free agents can wait until they have a team that they believe is that mythical one player away. 

This

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, that was some inspired "tweaking".  

Until fans realize that the state of this team is directly tied to the poor decisions made
from 2011 - 2014 all they'll do is whine, complain and blame Maccagnan / Bowles.  Look at
the awful drafts that Tannenbaum, Ryan (yes, he was responsible) and Idzik had in that time
period.  That should be the core of our team right now but it's not, most of those players
are out of football.  We were going to ultimately collapse because we had no foundation.
We had success in 2015 and tried to milk it in 2016, the key players failed and now we
rebuild.  Deal with it

The problem I have with judging Maccagnan is this idiotic power structure that our moron asshat dope owner put in place. Both Maccagnan and Bowles report directly to our moron owner who has zero clue on what the hell he is doing. So we have no idea who is calling what shots. 

Did Woody tell Bowles and Maccagnan on day 1, hey, you have the cap room, Im sick of losing, put the most competitive team on the field you can? We don't know, but my guess is he did after the Idzik disaster and having to drive by Billboards saying Fire Idzik.

Whose call was it to draft Lee? Bowles, or Maccagan?

Whose call was it to sign Revis?

Whose call was it to go after Hightower?

I think its pretty obvious that Maccagnan went hard after Hackenburg, but its a late 2nd round pick. I think you can fault him if Hackenberg sucks, I think you can probably go after him for Smith. 

The problem is that we can sit and kill Maccagan all day long, but the organization is stink from the top. And until that is fixed, no GM is going to be successful here.

Best hope is that Woody gets sick of it and brings in a true football Czar. I don't care if its Harbough and he picks his GM, or its a GM or Pres of football ops who hires both, however they do it, they need one guy who knows a lot about football (hint, not Woody) to be the head. He needs to be ultimately accountable.

20 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Marshall had a 115 catch season coupled with Fitz having a career year and the team won 10 games.  Then as firz regressed the veterans regressed in step and he was able to move on from marshall with zero dead money and clady with zero dead money.  Was Mac supposed to know that a first ballot HOF would suddenly show up to camp 15 lbs overweight and drop his effort level to 40%?

Is there some FA that we missed out on that we should have paid big money to?  He offered tony jefferson the most money, and he took less to go to Baltimore, is that Mac's fault?

I am totally fine with the mid-tier FA work he has done and would like to see us bring in Zach Brown and Morris Clairborne to at least take a look, but IMO this is far from Mac's fault.

Lolol let's start with his biggest signing, Revis. Then Cromartie, Skrine, Gilchrist, Forte, and then big contracts to Fitz and Mo. all failures. Oh and keeping Giacomini for an extra year. 

He has been pathetic. His two-year rebuild has us staring at the #1 overall pick next year unless Petty can magically turn his skillset around. Fail train. 

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

Until fans realize that the state of this team is directly tied to the poor decisions made
from 2011 - 2014 all they'll do is whine, complain and blame Maccagnan / Bowles.  Look at
the awful drafts that Tannenbaum, Ryan (yes, he was responsible) and Idzik had in that time
period.  That should be the core of our team right now but it's not, most of those players
are out of football.  We were going to ultimately collapse because we had no foundation.
We had success in 2015 and tried to milk it in 2016, the key players failed and now we
rebuild.  Deal with it

Hold on a second. Had inherited more than 1/3 in salary cap. He anherited high draft picks. All that combined, he had the ammunition to redo at least half the team in the very first year. New GMs don't get loaded teams. How come after two years of Macc we are worse than where he took over? Tanny n Rex had a small window and they did the right thing to try to exploit it. 

Maccagnan now needs to step up this off-season, I'm perfectly fine with the way he's handling
free agency.  But in my opinion he needs to do the following:

- Continue to "slow play" the QB market and wait for Osweiler to shake free from CLE.  Getting
him for a cheap contract and seeing if he can regain his DEN form would be a good investment

- Trade Richardson for a pick in the first three rounds of the draft

- Execute at least one trade down in the first three rounds to accumulate more picks

To keep our cap clean going forward Maccagnan should stock up at the premium positions in this
draft (CB, S & OLB) which is incredibly deep 

35 minutes ago, BCJet said:

everyone brings up fitz and marshall in 2015, but the schedule was one of the easiest in the NFL and they STILL missed the playoffs.  IMO, Mac is approaching idzik status and for some reason he isn't being roasted for it.

12 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Lolol let's start with his biggest signing, Revis. Then Cromartie, Skrine, Gilchrist, Forte, and then big contracts to Fitz and Mo. all failures. Oh and keeping Giacomini for an extra year. 

He has been pathetic. His two-year rebuild has us staring at the #1 overall pick next year unless Petty can magically turn his skillset around. Fail train. 

How much did Cro's contract set the organization back exactly?  Wilkerson got paid after a 12.5 sack season and was hurt all last year, the jury is already back on his contract and its a failure?

Skrine is a bust too, hes a 3rd CB with a reasonable contract?  I guess every single player we sign must immediately be an All-pro.  

What would you have done as GM, not sign Fitz when every player on the team and fan was openly campaigning to have him back?

17 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Brilliant if we Draft Sam Darnold next year. Dumb if we sign Jake Cutler this year. Next question please. 

We already know how this plays out. Jets pound their chest about not overpaying and then cave with the night before TC starts on a 2-year deal and immediately hand the starting QB position to an even fatter and more out of shape cutler.  

Cutler and the Jets are the worst kept secret in football and the only option for either party.   

58 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Given his do nothing approach to free agency, in which all he's done is sign a washed up tackle and kicker, as well as overpay some scrubs (I won't even get into his pathetic attempt to lure Hightower), does he have some sort of brilliant master plan that no one seems to know about or does his non-action signify that he is totally incompetent?

He knows they are going to suck this year, so why spend in free agency? Building through the draft is the correct option. Now he has to execute that plan. Idzik didn't and I think Macc is a better drafter than Idzik.

He should have done it two years ago, but I honestly believe that either Woody's firing of Idzik spooked him into doing it the other way or Woody just asked him to do it that way.

If he truly believed that the competitive rebuild was the best way of doing it, then we would have Jay Cutler as our QB to look forward to right now.

32 minutes ago, slats said:

25 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

The problem I have with judging Maccagnan is this idiotic power structure that our moron asshat dope owner put in place. Both Maccagnan and Bowles report directly to our moron owner who has zero clue on what the hell he is doing. So we have no idea who is calling what shots. 

Did Woody tell Bowles and Maccagnan on day 1, hey, you have the cap room, Im sick of losing, put the most competitive team on the field you can? We don't know, but my guess is he did after the Idzik disaster and having to drive by Billboards saying Fire Idzik.

Whose call was it to draft Lee? Bowles, or Maccagan?

Whose call was it to sign Revis?

Whose call was it to go after Hightower?

I think its pretty obvious that Maccagnan went hard after Hackenburg, but its a late 2nd round pick. I think you can fault him if Hackenberg sucks, I think you can probably go after him for Smith. 

The problem is that we can sit and kill Maccagan all day long, but the organization is stink from the top. And until that is fixed, no GM is going to be successful here.

Best hope is that Woody gets sick of it and brings in a true football Czar. I don't care if its Harbough and he picks his GM, or its a GM or Pres of football ops who hires both, however they do it, they need one guy who knows a lot about football (hint, not Woody) to be the head. He needs to be ultimately accountable.

I agree with the above 2

The Hightower adventure reeks of Woody/Glat meddling. 

There is no question other hands have been in the pot up to this point.  

How much cap room/draft picks have been expended over the last 4 years for temporary solutions?  Pick for Ivory, money for Hardin, pick and money for Fitz, pick and money for Clady, keep Breno too long.  All because Woody wanted to compete in 2014-2016.

I am ok with basically rehiring Bowles and Mac for an extra year and tell them to rebuild right.  All but Hightower was the right direction. 

Yes, Rex and Tanny rebuilt faster.  They had a better core to start with (Mangini players) and gave contracts out that blew up.   

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And to be honest, I don't think the Hightower thing was really in as deep as media claimed it to be. We find out that the Jets were out of it as soon as he left the facility. Their offer therefore, couldn't have been high enough to peek his interest

Probably they offered him the league minimum

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

Most know exactly what his plan is.  My question is...

How the f*ck do you not?

If the vast Majority of Posters in this thread agree with whatever narrative fits them, does it mean a darn thing to anyone making a decision for the Jets in the up coming season  and beyond ?

I know at least 4 fans that will flock to this like buzzards .

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Most know exactly what his plan is.  My question is...

How the f*ck do you not?

Francesa has said that the Jets should come out and say what their intention is. I questioned what would be the point. Then I saw Twitter. My goodness, there are alot of Jets fans who don't get it,

Not defending him but...

Inherited a roster that was arguably bottom 3 in the NFL.  

Woody's impatience forced the sprending spree two years ago.  This affected more than the Jets cap.  It gave the Jets draft class of 15 two seasons to develop.  Macc needs them all to step up.  

There really hasn't been anything positive out of that class with the exception of Williams and a small glimpse of Simon last year.  As far as the 16 class, Lee needs to play much better than he did last year.  And it would really help Macc if Burris and Shell could move into starting roles.

He needs to hit a home run on that #6 pick and get something out of this draft.  That is why I really doubt he takes a QB.

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

If the vast Majority of Posters in this thread agree with whatever narrative fits them, does it mean a darn thing to anyone making a decision for the Jets in the up coming season  and beyond ?

You're basically questioning whether message boards should exist with this post.  Very metaphysical.  Let's dive into this discussion.

In the end the thing that defines a GM is his drafts.  A lot of other stuff is white noise.  I'll say one thing.  If he does not absolutely nails his early picks this year then he needs to be sh*t canned.  He's 1 for 4 so far in my books.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

In the end the thing that defines a GM is his drafts.  A lot of other stuff is white noise.  I'll say one thing.  If he does not absolutely nails his early picks this year then he needs to be sh*t canned.  He's 1 for 4 so far in my books.

I tend to agree with this. I think only 1 of 2 things should save him, either miraculously Petty or Hack show they are an actual top 15 or better starting QB, or he absolutely nails this draft. Any other way, I think he should be gone.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Arguably, you can say that the 15 draft was a product of the prior regimes scouting.  

I think it will say a lot if players like Lee, Burris, and Shell step up this year.

Archived