Robbie Anderson - Starting potential down the line or should we look at the draft?

Lil Woody

I look at the kid as Jonathan Carter type but with actual hands and good ball tracking skills.  I think he will carve out a very nice role if he can reach his potential to be a deep threat big play guy.  I don't see him ever being anything more than a Ted Ginn type of guy though.  Ideally he's a #3 or 4 combined with an outstanding slot receiver that we can interchange with him based on down/distance. I don't know that he will ever be a "starter" type that can excel outside the numbers.

I think we have really overvalued our WR corps last year.  Jalin turned back into a pumpkin. Devin is still an unknown. Enunwa looks ready to take a step up, but there is no guarantee he can ever be a #1 type that can be the primary threat. I'm rooting like hell for him obviously, he's a favorite player of mine, but I'm just trying to be realistic here.  I think we would be best served looking at another big bodied prototypical WR (C.Davis/M.Williams/JuJu/ZayJones) to start opposite Enunwa.

2017 - Enunwa, Decker, Robbie, <Rookie>, Smith

2018- Enunwa, <Rookie>, Decker, Robbie, ???

2019 - <Rookie>, Enunwa, Robbie, ???

Thoughts?

Agreed except that in no way is Enunwa a #1.  He's basically a younger, stronger, more durable Decker.

If we were to draft Williams, think he'd become our #1 in a matter of weeks.  Not saying he'd be our best WR that quickly, but he'd play the #1 role.

It's up in the air. I'd like to see the younger guys get some reps. We still have Eric Decker and Quincy Enunwa which will most likely establish our #1/#2 WR's. I couldnt mind having Anderson/Peake/Smith as the other guys. 

However, if talent falls to us in the draft (I was just talking about Corey Davis in another thread) I wouldnt mind that at all. I would like to trade down in the draft given that we could go in multiple directions. 

If we trade down in the late teens we could still have a shot at picking up players like Christian McCaffery, or OJ Howard, Cam Robertson, Garett Bolles, Ryan Ramcyzk, Dalvin Cook etc. 

If I had to choose I'd rather add a HB, a TE or an Olineman. We need that much more than a WR, especially since we already have the top 2 positions pretty much locked down. Granted, if we dont trade/cut Decker we'll have him for probably just 1 more year, but technically if we dont draft a WR it wouldnt be the end of the world. 

Anderson has a lot to prove but I believe you are underestimating him.  The QB play last year
was beyond brutal, there were countless times Anderson destroyed the CB that was guarding him
and Fitzpatrick underthrew or missed him.  He could've had at least six long TD's if Fitzpatrick
didn't stink.  He has to improve his body/strength (because he looks like a pencil) but even
at his weight last year he was impressive in the way he fought & "high pointed" throws.  If
he continues to improve he could be what Stephen Hill should've been 

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

Anderson has a lot to prove but I believe you are underestimating him.  The QB play last year
was beyond brutal, there were countless times Anderson destroyed the CB that was guarding him
and Fitzpatrick underthrew or missed him.  He could've had at least six long TD's if Fitzpatrick
didn't stink.  He has to improve his body/strength (because he looks like a pencil) but even
at his weight last year he was impressive in the way he fought & "high pointed" throws.  If
he continues to improve he could be what Stephen Hill should've been 

This. I literally counted about 7 would-be TD's that Fitz/Petty either missed entirely, didnt see or underthrew. Anderson could have easily been on pace in terms of TD's with dude out in New Orleans, and that's saying alot when the other guy has Drew Brees as his QB. 

Robbie Anderson was a victim of the QB play last year for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This. I literally counted about 7 would-be TD's that Fitz/Petty either missed entirely, didnt see or underthrew. Anderson could have easily been on pace in terms of TD's with dude out in New Orleans, and that's saying alot when the other guy has Drew Brees as his QB. 

Robbie Anderson was a victim of the QB play last year for sure. 

Animated gifs or it didn't happen.

I look at the kid as Jonathan Carter type but with actual hands and good ball tracking skills.  I think he will carve out a very nice role if he can reach his potential to be a deep threat big play guy.  I don't see him ever being anything more than a Ted Ginn type of guy though.  Ideally he's a #3 or 4 combined with an outstanding slot receiver that we can interchange with him based on down/distance. I don't know that he will ever be a "starter" type that can excel outside the numbers.
I think we have really overvalued our WR corps last year.  Jalin turned back into a pumpkin. Devin is still an unknown. Enunwa looks ready to take a step up, but there is no guarantee he can ever be a #1 type that can be the primary threat. I'm rooting like hell for him obviously, he's a favorite player of mine, but I'm just trying to be realistic here.  I think we would be best served looking at another big bodied prototypical WR (C.Davis/M.Williams/JuJu/ZayJones) to start opposite Enunwa.
2017 - Enunwa, Decker, Robbie, , Smith
2018- Enunwa, , Decker, Robbie, ???
2019 - , Enunwa, Robbie, ???
Thoughts?

I'm really glad you posted this. I think Robbie Anderson just needs more playing time, and I think he needs to get into the weight room. All these young receivers can work on battling press coverage. But the kid is fearless.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

39 minutes ago, KRL said:

If Anderson & Enunwa played on GB last year with Rodgers, every media person would've
raved about what a great job Ted Thompson did in finding unknown WR's

I'm not one that thinks we should go anywhere near Cutler just based on winning 6 meaningless games but I can't lie & say I've imagined Cutler throwing open Anderson, lol. With Cutlers arm, Anderson is a scary skinny twig like speedster.

The more I look at this draft I'd love to trade back to 12 & draft McCaffery. The guy can do it all! Decker won't be here in 2018. Draft McCaffery & a Top TE & give Hack a chance to grow up with some young offensive players.

Problem for us is we need a lot of picks & don't have enough. I'm DYING to have 3rd rounders this year. Someone has to believe Sheldons worth at least a 3rd rounder...right?

21 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Robbie Anderson is 6'3" 200 lbs Antonio Brown is 5'10" 184 lbs Would anyone call Brown a #1 receiver ? Anderson has some rowing up to do as a receiver, but I look at that kid and I see Marvin Harrison.

6'3, 190, and that 10 lbs makes a difference. 

I like that he's working with Chad Ocho-Cinco this off-season who knows a thing or two about winning with great footwork and high-pointed catches. 

Im not sure if he'll ever be a true #1 but if he's our WR3, Enunwa is our WR2, and we get a stud TE, it doesn't matter if we don't have a true WR1 on the roster.  (Decker is a WR2, IF, big IF, he's still on our roster).

I think the #1 wr in today's nfl is a little overblown. Give me a team of 4 good wr's over a team with a #1, 1 solid and the other 2 are inconsistent. Its all about matchups and Anderson is a vital piece in building a cohesive offense that can take advantage of defensive packages that present themselves on the field. Kid looks like he is a steal as a udfa.

19 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

I think the #1 wr in today's nfl is a little overblown. Give me a team of 4 good wr's over a team with a #1, 1 solid and the other 2 are inconsistent. Its all about matchups and Anderson is a vital piece in building a cohesive offense that can take advantage of defensive packages that present themselves on the field. Kid looks like he is a steal as a udfa.

I think this is right on the money. The true, elite, offense carrying #1's are great but they're rare and not necessary to be an elite team.

I like the idea of drafting study WR's with good hands and enough ability to separate in some way shape or form (speed, quickness, high pointing) in the round 2-4 area and just having a bunch of solid ones.

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Robbie is a fantastic find, he's just to slightly built to be a #1.

He's the burner Devin Smith was drafted to be. Love a trade down and draft OJ Howard.

This.

In the run Decker is gone.  The Jets should continue to build out the WR core.  I like the more Patriots like model of a bunch of people who can catch.  The best WR gets the number 1 corner anyway.  The other 2 or 3 can be better than the other corners.

I like Robby but not as a number 1. This is a deep draft for WR's. We have way too many holes to think of one in the 1st round. I'd be happy with us taking another wide out in the 3rd or 4th. Maybe a bit earlier if we trade down and pick up some extra picks.

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Jonathan Carter sucked.

Missing the point. Carter was instantly behind the defense. He couldn't catch or track a ball to save his life but that's not the point. Their build, explosion, long speed...very similar. 

13 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Agreed except that in no way is Enunwa a #1.  He's basically a younger, stronger, more durable Decker.

If we were to draft Williams, think he'd become our #1 in a matter of weeks.  Not saying he'd be our best WR that quickly, but he'd play the #1 role.

If we draft Williams, which I hope we do, he becomes our #1 the minute he comes out on stage and Godell hands him the hat and jersey.:D

Enunwa will probably never be a solid 1 or 2 type receiver he is simply too valuable with blocking. Devin Smith I haven't given up hope on yet and Robbie Anderson has shown good flashes as has Peake in my opinion. I think it we are looking to rebuild and qb is off the table this year we need to either draft fournette if he fell to us or just completely revamp our secondary in the draft. If we can get a value pick in the third on a wr like a cupp or juju it may be worth a swing there but we have some big holes that need to be fixed before we worry about strengthening up a position that at least has potential.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Considering it's been one year in the league for an undrafted rookie, I hardly think it's a foregone conclusion what kind of ceiling he has for the remainder of his career.  That said, it would also be foolish to go in the opposite direction and bank on him being a #1 guy in the immediate future.  He has the physical tools, but there's certainly room for growth and we'll see how he responds to that.  Barring an outright decline from last year, the Jets will easily have his rights for another 3 years to figure this all out.  No reason not to give him every opportunity he earns over that period, but if he never takes that step beyond #3/4 guy, then so be it.  It's at very low cost to the Jets and they have plenty of time to figure it all out.  It basically just means that WR is pretty much in the same status of nearly every position on this team; it doesn't make sense to get desperate chasing after it at the expense of other better options, but if they end up with a great option available to them at the position, there's no real reason to pass on it either.

Enunwa has already earned himself a second contract.  If the Jets are hopefully smart enough to take care of that soon, and they were to draft a top guy this year, they still have a few years of all of these guys to figure it out.  If it turns out that they all have the talent to be starting caliber receivers by then, that would hardly be the worst scenario for the Jets to be in.

If Anderson & Enunwa played on GB last year with Rodgers, every media person would've
raved about what a great job Ted Thompson did in finding unknown WR's

Imagine if they we on the patriots roster what the media would say then.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

You need versatility on offense in today's NFL. Like others have said, it's better to have 4 guys that can catch & all have particular skills than to have one #1 highly paid guy.

Because Idzik f*cked up so bad drafting our secondary, we might waste another draft on fixing it. Milliner-Pryor-McDougal, two first round picks & a third rounder, all busts! 

So, now this year with a chance to give Hack or whoever our QB might be in 2018 the weapons we need, our secondary still sucks.

Just imagine an offensive draft? We trade Sheldon for another 3. We trade back to 12 with the Browns for a 2 & 4. We draft McCaffery at 12. Njoku falls to us in the 2nd, we trade a 3 and move up for Cam Robinson, then we draft Joe Mixon in the 3rd. All of the dead money comes off our cap in 2018, so we use our free agency dollars to fill the holes on defense.

Could you imagine drafting McCaffery-Njoku-Robinson-Mixon in 1 draft? Farfetched? Sure, impossible? Not at all if you replace with similar talent value at those spots. Maybe instead of Njoku u draft Engram? Instead of Robinson, Bolles? Instead of Mixon, Kamara? Or Foreman? 

My point is that the horrible drafting compounds itself over the years. That's why, whether we pick to go Offense or Defense, think of this draft as just one year of a 2 year rebuild. If they go defense do it the same way! Draft Adams-TJ Watt- Jackson.

At least fix one side of the ball this year with young studs!

Archived