Bryce Petty

Lupz27

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Why did the Cowboys signed Sanchez last year  and tried to sign McCown this year ?

I am not quite sure why you are asking me this...

The answer is simple because they needed a back up....

And IMO what the Cowboys did, a team that is in effect a championship caliber, has little to nothing to do with us cutting Petty in favor of McCown, a back up, who more than likely wont even be in the league next year.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

His results werent bad... They showed promise and at worst a cheap backup status is possible

Last year proved exactly how hard it was to keep 4 QBs on the 53 man roster . Petty had 2 yrs in Gailey's system, I yr to learn and the other he got a shot .  This is going to be a new offense, and if the Jets add a new QB, he's out . The Jets might decide to cut Hack and keep Petty because they saw both of them, but since I didn't, I cut what I saw that wasn't good enough for me and keep what I didn't see that might be .

You folks ask question about what the Jets will do and expect answer that fit your approval from people who don't have the information  the coaches and GM do . My answers are based on what I know and what I would do based on what I know .

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Everyone but us had Hack a 5th rounder or lower. 

But the Bills and Texans had a high grade on him and we all know how great those two teams are evaluating a QB. 

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Jan 5, 2018:

We knew the day we drafted him that we were going to redshirt Christian for his first two years. He's shown real improvement in the time he's been here, and next season he'll be given every chance to start for us. 

-- Bowles, Maccagnan, and other Jets' sauces

And that is why those 2 knuckleheads need to be shown the door ASAP.

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

My conclusion has nothing to do with Hackenberg, it's based off of Petty already getting a shot, and looking very poor IMO.  As far as Hack is concerned you, me, not anyone here know if he will be good, we haven't seen him so I'd say as a GM you don't cut your 2nd round pick from the year before that you said from the get go will get a Red Shirt year.  I'm talking in realities not BS fan reactions.  In reality if the Jets draft another QB Petty is the odd man out regardless of what us fans think.

I don't know what to think.

General QBing aside, I'm just decidedly discouraged by the kid getting seriously injured twice in the same season. Doesn't necessarily mean he's injury-prone, as two bad breaks can happen to anyone (especially when one of them occurred in preseason, and the other with 4 backup linemen starting), but it's not unfair to say he looks more injury-prone than he looks durable.

As far as his play, also somewhat hard to say. He definitely looked nothing like a finished product, but by the first time he was given that start vs the Rams the team was already 3-6. and they effectively announced the only reason he was out there was because Fitz was too injured to start. Instead of just sticking with him over the bye week, they went back to Fitzpatrick for the next couple starts. After that, we saw all the half-ass effort from starters who were kept on the field, the widely-publicized locker room crap, and the particular protection breakdowns. It's not like he was the only QB to get knocked out of action for the Jets that year.

Kind of a rough intro for a kid. Now that's not to say he rose to the occasion despite the adversity, that he was getting rid of the ball so quickly, and routinely drilling guys between the #s despite the receivers dropping it over and over. There isn't concrete evidence he will ever be more than a low-end backup, but it's a bit of leeway I wouldn't give to someone with some prior actual history. 

I haven't seen or heard too much that's encouraging from either of our two kids. Doesn't mean that one (or both) of them still can't pan out, since they're both still just babies yet, but neither looks particularly likely.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I am not quite sure why you are asking me this...

The answer is simple because they needed a back up....

And IMO what the Cowboys did, a team that is in effect a championship caliber, has little to nothing to do with us cutting Petty in favor of McCown, a back up, who more than likely wont even be in the league next year.

It's amazing to me how people who do this job for a living can see what Josh McCown brings to the Jets QB room, but Jet fans who know better can't . That guy wasn't brought here to take reps away from the kids, but to help them by showing them what needs to be done while doing it alongside them.

38 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Jan 5, 2018:

We knew the day we drafted him that we were going to redshirt Christian for his first two years. He's shown real improvement in the time he's been here, and next season he'll be given every chance to start for us. 

-- Bowles, Maccagnan, and other Jets' sauces

Tuesday March 28, 2017 at NFL Owners meeting. 

Coming off a professional redshirt season, Hackenberg will face a completely different situation this spring when he returns for offseason workouts.

“He’s got to be excited because he’s got a chance to compete for the starting job right now, which is what he wanted to do in the first place,” Bowles said. “There won’t be any redshirting this year. He’ll have a chance to go out, prove himself and play.”

34 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I don't get the idea of cutting Petty because he is a back up meme being floated around out here.:blink:

Well McCown is NOTHING more than a backup!!

Why in the world would we get rid of a young cheaper back up in Petty (if that is what he is) for a guy in McCown who will be here at most for a year? 

And please spare me the mentoring facade; for the 4 MILLION DOLLARS you save you could hire 10 personal coaches, that is at least 3 coaches, for each of the young QBs to work with in order to mentor them!!!

That is preposterous, and the reason why the Jets, who do stupid things like this all the time, seem to have no chance at functionality.   

McCown is a stiff and logically it would make more sense to keep the cheap backup over the expensive veteran, but the Jets gave him a lot of money that they aren't just going to eat now.  We're stuck with McCown for this year, like it or not, and we're probably stuck with Petty too.  For the love of God, can Hackenberg pleeeeeeeaaaaaaasssssseeeee emerge as a legit starter in 2017???? Is that too much to ask??? I'll answer my own question - probably.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Anyone else think the Jets will take a QB somewhere in this draft, and Petty is the odd man out?

He is not ready to throw now, and won't be ready during all of offseason workouts apparently.

IMO Petty did not look like the answer at QB last year, and most reports from the in the know insiders is the Jets brass also does not see Petty as the answer at starting QB, if true you kinda have to get another guy this draft somewhere, Petty will be way behind any QB on the roster with executing the new offense considering he can't throw until training camp at the earliest.  

To me the writing is on the wall for Petty to be the odd man out should the Jets draft a QB in this draft.

I think I agree.  

Petty will be 26 at the start of this season, coming off surgery and has 2 yr left on his rookie deal.  Would already be 27 on his next contract.  I don't think he is the answer but I think Petty could become a competent backup.  He obviously is still struggling to identify defensive schemes and he might also be directly responsible for his own injury due to communication and identification at the line of scrimmage.  I'm also not a fan of how much air he puts under his deep passes.1  

Hackenburg is 22 at the start of this season with 3 years left on his rookie deal.  Even if he isn't the answer he is super young, will only be 25 at the start of his next contract and worth the extra time to see if he is at least a competent backup.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the Jets take Trubisky or Watson at 6 and redshirt him a year like Hack last year and go with McCown vs Hack for this season and then see where things are next season.

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Macc said Petty will start throwing in April which is plenty of time to compete. 

I like that Petty is being written off - he has nothing to lose and no pressure.

If they pass on drafting a QB in 1st 2 rounds my prediction is Petty will win the competition.

I just hope someone wins it rather than who ever the other two are just lose it.

21 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Tuesday March 28, 2017 at NFL Owners meeting. 

Coming off a professional redshirt season, Hackenberg will face a completely different situation this spring when he returns for offseason workouts.

“He’s got to be excited because he’s got a chance to compete for the starting job right now, which is what he wanted to do in the first place,” Bowles said. “There won’t be any redshirting this year. He’ll have a chance to go out, prove himself and play.”

What of it? Easy to read this after-the-fact quote and pretend it's the same as hearing him say it in early May, when nobody - not Maccagnan, not Bowles, not Gailey, not Patullo - on the team said anything of the kind prior to actually practicing with the team. Not to mention Bowles gave him a chance to dress every week as Fitz's backup when Geno got injured. He lost a mini-competition with Petty in October.

If he didn't look that bad in his rookie summer, the Jets wouldn't have carried 4 QBs, and he wouldn't have been redshirted. I'll give them that benefit of the doubt.

No matter how well Bowles and Mcc spin it, I do not accept that they had planned to "red shirt" Hack from the time they drafted him.  And, I also don't accept "red shirt" as a true NFL term.  It's something guys who picked a "project" in the second round--and who seems completely lost in the world of football mechanics--say as an excuse.

36 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

No matter how well Bowles and Mcc spin it, I do not accept that they had planned to "red shirt" Hack from the time they drafted him.  And, I also don't accept "red shirt" as a true NFL term.  It's something guys who picked a "project" in the second round--and who seems completely lost in the world of football mechanics--say as an excuse.

Been saying this for months. You might as well yell it at a rock.

41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What of it? Easy to read this after-the-fact quote and pretend it's the same as hearing him say it in early May, when nobody - not Maccagnan, not Bowles, not Gailey, not Patullo - on the team said anything of the kind prior to actually practicing with the team. Not to mention Bowles gave him a chance to dress every week as Fitz's backup when Geno got injured. He lost a mini-competition with Petty in October.

If he didn't look that bad in his rookie summer, the Jets wouldn't have carried 4 QBs, and he wouldn't have been redshirted. I'll give them that benefit of the doubt.

fwiw...

May 02, 2016

Part of the reason Maccagnan would like to bring Fitzpatrick back is so Fitzpatrick can serve as a bridge who would allow Hackenberg to develop behind him.

"I think in a perfect world, especially with quarterbacks--some quarterbacks come in and play right away, and some do well, and some struggle, and they go through growing pains," Maccagnan said. "But I think at the end of the day, in a perfect world, you like to give those guys a chance to sort of grow, develop before you have to throw them into the fire.

"Hopefully if we can re-sign Ryan, and we have Geno, and kind of go from there and see how we do. And we also have Bryce Petty, who's another quarterback we like quite a bit. So we feel good about our group of quarterbacks right now, and hopefully we'll see how it all comes together. Hopefully we can get Fitz back at some point in time."

April 30, 2016

Before the pick was announced on TV, Maccagnan told Hackenberg over the phone that the organization was determined to “help you achieve your potential.”

“We’re really excited about adding you to this organization,” Maccagnan said, courtesy of a video posted on the Jets’ official Instagram page. “And we think you have a bright future and we’re going to invest some time in you.”

But Maccagnan was far more subdued and evasive when speaking to the media. “It’s a competitive position and we’ll see how it develops,” he said of their quarterback quagmire.

38 minutes ago, j4jets said:

High..not higher. And I was being sarcastic. Im as pissed as you are. 

Honestly wouldn't put it past either of those teams. Especially the Texans. I mean the even Jets haven't  had to bundle picks to unload a lame duck QB. Uhhh, errrr, yet?

3 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

no I dont think so - Petty is only 25 and got a raw deal last year if you ask me

The Jets are particularly good at putting young QBs in bad situations.  Clemens, Geno, and Petty were all put in bad spots.  If Petty played all 16 games last year, he might have David Carr syndrome.  And who knows, he may already be ruined.

18 minutes ago, C Mart said:

fwiw...

May 02, 2016

Part of the reason Maccagnan would like to bring Fitzpatrick back is so Fitzpatrick can serve as a bridge who would allow Hackenberg to develop behind him.

"I think in a perfect world, especially with quarterbacks--some quarterbacks come in and play right away, and some do well, and some struggle, and they go through growing pains," Maccagnan said. "But I think at the end of the day, in a perfect world, you like to give those guys a chance to sort of grow, develop before you have to throw them into the fire.

"Hopefully if we can re-sign Ryan, and we have Geno, and kind of go from there and see how we do. And we also have Bryce Petty, who's another quarterback we like quite a bit. So we feel good about our group of quarterbacks right now, and hopefully we'll see how it all comes together. Hopefully we can get Fitz back at some point in time."

April 30, 2016

Before the pick was announced on TV, Maccagnan told Hackenberg over the phone that the organization was determined to “help you achieve your potential.”

“We’re really excited about adding you to this organization,” Maccagnan said, courtesy of a video posted on the Jets’ official Instagram page. “And we think you have a bright future and we’re going to invest some time in you.”

But Maccagnan was far more subdued and evasive when speaking to the media. “It’s a competitive position and we’ll see how it develops,” he said of their quarterback quagmire.

You are cherry-picking out that Maccagnan refused to rule out starting Hackenberg as a rookie. It's pretty blatant intellectual dishonesty when you purposely omit his very next sentence about Hackenberg playing as a rookie:

"The reality of it is, though, it’s going to be determined by how he does. And I think my personal opinion is we’ll see where he’s at and how he is in terms of assimilating to our offense and our system."

I don't know how you get from "in a perfect world you like to give those guys a chance to sort of grow..." (which any GM would say about any QB prospect, while knowing we do not live in a perfect world), followed by "[playing as a rookie is] going to be determined by how he does" and turn that into, "We are absolutely redshirting Christian Hackenberg and refuse to give him a chance to play or compete this year."

It's quite a leap to make.

They buried him on the depth chart because, despite his experience in a pro style offense (at age 18), they then realized he couldn't play this year. What he does this year & beyond remains to be seen.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You are cherry-picking out that Maccagnan refused to rule out starting Hackenberg as a rookie. It's pretty blatant intellectual dishonesty when you purposely omit his very next sentence about him playing as a rookie:

"The reality of it is, though, it’s going to be determined by how he does. And I think my personal opinion is we’ll see where he’s at and how he is in terms of assimilating to our offense and our system."

I don't know how you get from "in a perfect world you like to give those guys a chance to sort of grow..." (which any GM would say about any QB prospect), followed by "[playing as a rookie is] going to be determined by how he does" into "We are absolutely redshirting Christian Hackenberg and refuse to give him a chance to play or compete this year."

It's quite a leap to make.

They buried him on the depth chart because, despite his experience in a pro style offense (at age 18), they then realized he couldn't play this year. What he does this year & beyond remains to be seen.

and you just gloss over invest time in, and chance to grow/develop. you asked pre my earlier quote

JC it's one season....Let's all hope he sucks so the QB search can carry on and your proclaim you were right..of course you'll find something else to bitch and complain about..

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

and you just gloss over invest time in, and chance to grow/develop.

No I do not and did not gloss over that at all. One does not need to be redshirted to invest time in a player. From where on earth did you ever get that idea?

One can invest time into a player, and let him grow/develop, without making him 4th on the depth chart behind 3 bad QBs.

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Anyone else think the Jets will take a QB somewhere in this draft, and Petty is the odd man out?

He is not ready to throw now, and won't be ready during all of offseason workouts apparently.

IMO Petty did not look like the answer at QB last year, and most reports from the in the know insiders is the Jets brass also does not see Petty as the answer at starting QB, if true you kinda have to get another guy this draft somewhere, Petty will be way behind any QB on the roster with executing the new offense considering he can't throw until training camp at the earliest.  

To me the writing is on the wall for Petty to be the odd man out should the Jets draft a QB in this draft.

It seems like the reports from the in the know insiders is the Jets CS thinks Hackenberg can't hit the ocean from the end of the pier, so there's that

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You don't say. ;) 

right...you're called out by quotes and you just shrug them off when it was pretty clear from the time he was drafted 2016 he wasn't going to see much of the field, if at all in '16..which is and was the best thing for him & the Jets. That is if you want to give him a chance to succeed, which I question if alot of Jets "fans" want.

If we draft a QB Petty is probably cut unless we carry 4 QBs. They will keep McCown and Hack based off that hes a 2nd round pick a year ago. Petty is a really bad player too , average backup is his ceiling

I think they could probably get Petty onto the PS this year if they wanted to.

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

right...you're called out by quotes and you just shrug them off when it was pretty clear from the time he was drafted 2016 he wasn't going to see much of the field, if at all in '16..which is and was the best thing for him & the Jets. That is if you want to give him a chance to succeed, which I question if alot of Jets "fans" want.

Good Lord. 

The guy flat-out said, right after drafting him, that Hackenberg's playing time - or even suiting up weekly as the #2 QB - will be determined by how he does. I might add, that is also 100% appropriate.

You read that, and from it you infer he really meant "Christian Hackenberg will be redshirted no matter how good he looks this summer. We aren't giving him a serious chance to compete at all." 

Your "it was clear from the time he was drafted..." stuff could have been said, word for word, about Dak Prescott.

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

The Jets are particularly good at putting young QBs in bad situations.  Clemens, Geno, and Petty were all put in bad spots.  If Petty played all 16 games last year, he might have David Carr syndrome.  And who knows, he may already be ruined.

true dat

I think the biggest mistake last year was keeping Geno around stunting both Petty and Hack devlopment then doing half ass coaching and commitment to Petty week before he starts

20 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

true dat

I think the biggest mistake last year was keeping Fitz around stunting both Petty and Hack devlopment then doing half ass coaching and commitment to Petty week before he starts

Fixed

50 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

true dat

I think the biggest mistake last year was keeping Geno around stunting both Petty and Hack devlopment then doing half ass coaching and commitment to Petty week before he starts

Any idea that Hack would be "better" if only we cut Fitz, or even cut Geno, is laughable.

Hack is where Hack is because Hack, flat out, wasn't ready to be in the NFL by any metric.

I love the way some have written off Hackenberg, a guy who only had a few drives in the pre-season one of which was a nicely run scoring drive. We were told he would not see action nor did he see much in the way of practice action with 4 QB's on the roster. Lets see what the kid can do once he has the grasp of an offense then pass judgement. The offense changing certainly will not do the young QB's any good but ya never know maybe it will be a better fit if Morton actually utilizes all the players on the field like the TE position which Gailey ignored. Time will tell don't jump to conclusions for once in our dumb Jets existence maybe we get a surprise, at the very least we should be hoping for one.

Archived