Bryce Petty

Lupz27

13 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Well Sperm Of course he has to say that what would have Happened if Hack came in to Jets camp and just lit the place up ? Obviously he didnt and needed work so Im sure that played a big part in the Jets saying hey lets just let this kid sit and not worry much about it this year. Because the Jets filled holes via free agency which hinted they felt they could win now so why throw a raw rookie into that mix if they truly felt they could compete ?

That is different from the "he was redshirted the minute we drafted him" fable. Particularly since Bowles gave him another opportunity to dress weekly after Geno went on IR, except Petty beat him out. Redshirted QBs don't get opportunities to dress (and by extension, get regular 1st team reps in practices every week) while still in October. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

I don't think you can blame/indite Mac for Bowles' roster management.  There seems to me to be a total disconnect between these two men.    

I believe, per their contracts, Mcc controls the 53 man roster and Bowles controls the gameday roster. I'm not in FP but safe to say they are consulting w/one another. 

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I believe, per their contracts, Mcc controls the 53 man roster and Bowles controls the gameday roster. I'm not in FP but safe to say they are consulting w/one another. 

Of course they consult.  I just think that Mac drafts based on his perception of how to build a team/roster, and that Bowles is unwilling/unable to use this team/roster (esp rookies) to its best advantage.   

2 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Of course they consult.  I just think that Mac drafts based on his perception of how to build a team/roster, and that Bowles is unwilling/unable to use this team/roster (esp rookies) to its best advantage.   

I guess I don't get all this criticism of Bowles not playing rookies...They play, maybe not all rookies or as much as some want. Guess I don't understand why they can't sit, learn and develop. Very few rookies are ready to step in and play. All I see on here is how poorly the Jets have drafted all these years so why not try this approach. 

The way Woody set it up, with Macc and Bowles each reporting directly to him and having separate responsibilities, is not working, IMO. I don't think it works in general, but it's definitely not going to work when the owner isn't a football guy, and the GM/HC don't have some history and a very synced shared vision. There needs to be somebody with final say that has a vision for what kind of players they need and where the money spent on talent is weighted regarding system and game plan. Whether that's the GM, which is the norm, the HC, or a football knowledgeable owner.

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

Bowles has displayed plenty of faults, and has given fans reason to believe he isn't the one. In fairness to him, though, there's only so much mixing/matching one can do. 

I don't know what kind of dominant base defense employs:

• 4 DTs on the field at the same time, however talented any of them may be individually. One of them (allegedly) hadn't healed from his broken leg the prior season, and was getting fat/lazy/coasting on his minimum $37m guarantees.
  • A sloth-like ILB next to a fast but obviously too-green ILB once the original scrap-heap starter got injured.
  • No serious outside pass rusher
  • A has-been "#1" corner getting fat/lazy/coasting on his remaining, guaranteed $22m
  • A meh NB somewhat pushed into outside duty because there was no clear #2 CB on the roster. Well, at times they all looked like #2 at CB. The rookie everyone has such high hopes for was dusted by a TE who'd never before caught an NFL pass, and his lone pick came from a ball underthrown by the 4 yards by which he trailed his man.
  • A pair of safeties that, despite the $ shelled out for one as a veteran FA, and the rd 1 pedigree of the other...well, feel free to fill in how great you think they are, lol.

The crazy thing is, for all the massive investment in these defenders individually, it's still a sucky defense as a whole. That's not to say someone else couldn't have gotten more out of them than Bowles did, as I'm quite certain someone else could have, but I have serious doubts anyone was turning this group into a top 5 defense. 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Bowles has displayed plenty of faults, and has given fans reason to believe he isn't the one. In fairness to him, though, there's only so much mixing/matching one can do. 

I don't know what kind of dominant base defense employs:

• 4 DTs on the field at the same time, however talented any of them may be individually. One of them (allegedly) hadn't healed from his broken leg the prior season, and was getting fat/lazy/coasting on his minimum $37m guarantees.
  • A sloth-like ILB next to a fast but obviously too-green ILB once the original scrap-heap starter got injured.
  • No serious outside pass rusher
  • A has-been "#1" corner getting fat/lazy/coasting on his remaining, guaranteed $22m
  • A meh NB somewhat pushed into outside duty because there was no clear #2 CB on the roster. Well, at times they all looked like #2 at CB. The rookie everyone has such high hopes for was dusted by a TE who'd never before caught an NFL pass, and his lone pick came from a ball underthrown by the 4 yards by which he trailed his man.
  • A pair of safeties that, despite the $ shelled out for one as a veteran FA, and the rd 1 pedigree of the other...well, feel free to fill in how great you think they are, lol.

The crazy thing is, for all the massive investment in these defenders individually, it's still a sucky defense as a whole. That's not to say someone else couldn't have gotten more out of them than Bowles did, as I'm quite certain someone else could have, but I have serious doubts anyone was turning this group into a top 5 defense. 

The season was over 2/5 of the way thru (defined as 95% probable that we were out of the post season hunt).  Yet Bowles continued to trot out Richardson out of position, an injured out of shape Wilkerson, a pathetic joke of his former self Revis, kept Fitz on the field AFTER he threw 6 INT in the game, used Forte over Powell, on and on.  He seemingly was afraid to bench anyone who had a high $ contact no matter how they performed, and demoralized those around them

Once the season is over a HC ought to give reps to the future not to the past.  The bold is the refusal/inability I can't abide in him.      

58 minutes ago, isired said:

The way Woody set it up, with Macc and Bowles each reporting directly to him and having separate responsibilities, is not working, IMO. I don't think it works in general, but it's definitely not going to work when the owner isn't a football guy, and the GM/HC don't have some history and a very synced shared vision. There needs to be somebody with final say that has a vision for what kind of players they need and where the money spent on talent is weighted regarding system and game plan. Whether that's the GM, which is the norm, the HC, or a football knowledgeable owner.

I agree. 

Can't help but wonder if with Woody getting less involved over the next few years if that arrangement has changed, and Macc now has more authority.  I hope so, the old arrangement wasn't working at all.  Woody had no knowledge of football.

45 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

The season was over 2/5 of the way thru (defined as 95% probable that we were out of the post season hunt).  Yet Bowles continued to trot out Richardson out of position, an injured out of shape Wilkerson, a pathetic joke of his former self Revis, kept Fitz on the field AFTER he threw 6 INT in the game, used Forte over Powell, on and on.  He seemingly was afraid to bench anyone who had a high $ contact no matter how they performed, and demoralized those around them

Once the season is over a HC ought to give reps to the future not to the past.  The bold is the refusal/inability I can't abide in him.      

The approach taken with the vets on D I agree would not have made sense if there were better players on the bench.  Sadly I do not think that was the case.  Take CB - as bad as Revis was at times, who should have been playing instead? 

And it wasn't just the high priced vets.  The Jets obviously have a big problem with Pryor who is still on his rookie K.  A first round pick, only problem is he's mediocre.  So who should Bowles have played instead of him?

On O and taking RB, Powell did look better than Forte for the most part.  But, in his sixth season last year, Powell carried more times than he did in all others except his 3rd.  Not sure what you mean to say Forte was used "over" Powell.  Seems like Powell got a lot more carries than in the two previous years.  And didn't Bowles bench Fitz?

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont get how anyone who watched Petty play can see anything other than a QB who will never amount to anything in this league.

He was as bad as bad can be

Yea...Only Bryce sucked last year.  

7 minutes ago, peebag said:

As with Geno, I think we have to make a distinction between "suck related to the team as a whole" and "suck identifiable as an individual suck".

And as with Geno, I saw very little from Petty last year in the "identifiable as an individual" that gives much hope he's a legitimate long-term prospect.

Perhaps he'll show us something this coming preseason, because it's very likely his last change as a NY Jet.  He either defeats Hack/McCown, or his time is likely soon over here.

Jets' Bryce Petty recalls his Wake-Suh sandwich ... with a touch of humor

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

Say this for New York Jets quarterback Bryce Petty: The man has a sense of humor.

On Friday morning, Petty responded to a Twitter follower who asked if he experiences Cameron Wake nightmares -- a reference to the play last Dec. 18 in which he was squished by Wake and Ndamukong Suh.

Petty's response:

That is one of the enduring images of the Jets' rotten season.

Petty was crushed by the Miami Dolphins' pass rushers on a fluke play at the start of the fourth quarter in the Jets' 34-13 loss in prime time. Wesley Johnson snapped the ball earlier than the rest of the offensive line anticipated. Four of the five linemen barely got out of their stance. Suh and Wake were unblocked, with a free path to Petty, who actually completed a long pass.

The hit was nasty. We're talking cover-your-eyes nasty.

Petty wanted to stay in the game, but there was a sharp, burning pain in his chest. The Jets feared he had punctured a lung, but a CT scan revealed only a bruise. Showing his toughness, he started the following week against the New England Patriots. He wasn't as lucky in that game, tearing the labrum in his left shoulder while trying to tackle a defender on a fumble recovery.

On 3/30/2017 at 10:14 AM, Il Mostro said:

What I notice about Petty is his head simply does not move.  In contrast, as bad as Hackenberg played, his head is on a swivel. He is at least going through his progressions.  Petty is still a one-read QB after two years.  He has decent physical tools but is fatally flawed from the neck up.

Great observation. I had not noticed. Thanks for bringing this up.

It's interesting when reading all the hack/petty haters and how they are not wanting hack to take a regular season snap and petty to not see the field again. What I'm getting to is what would you pessimistic guys do had the jets traded up and got Goff. Pretty sure judging from what is said about hack....A second round pick this message board would go world war three thermonuclear.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

15 hours ago, Larz said:

It was bad enough we bickered about fitz and geno, now we are reduced to bickering over hack and petty

Smdh

Ha!  Excellent point.  The way this is trending, next year we'll be debating if we should bring in Tebow of Manziel....

5 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

Ha!  Excellent point.  The way this is trending, next year we'll be debating if we should bring in Tebow of Manziel....

Manziel will probably win comeback player of the year and then we won't be able to afford him.

I'm not sold on Hackenberg but I'm willing to give him a chance. Petty didn't look too good last year but I'm still willing to give him a chance this year as well. I hope one of them beat out McCown but I don't see it happening. 

6 minutes ago, August said:

I'm not sold on Hackenberg but I'm willing to give him a chance. Petty didn't look too good last year but I'm still willing to give him a chance this year as well. I hope one of them beat out McCown but I don't see it happening. 

If McCown is the opening day starter, I'm not watching another game.

I think Petty is the odd man out, because he cannot stay upright.  He does not go very long without getting hurt. I think of him as a second string talent.  He can make some throws and he competes, but he is always getting bounced around

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

As with Geno, I think we have to make a distinction between "suck related to the team as a whole" and "suck identifiable as an individual suck".

And as with Geno, I saw very little from Petty last year in the "identifiable as an individual" that gives much hope he's a legitimate long-term prospect.

Perhaps he'll show us something this coming preseason, because it's very likely his last change as a NY Jet.  He either defeats Hack/McCown, or his time is likely soon over here.

Yep, kid sucks, didn't show anything last year.  On the play above, had zero blocking, showed great poise, and only completed a 28 yard pass.  Should have been a TD.  BUM

8 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I think Petty is the odd man out, because he cannot stay upright.  He does not go very long without getting hurt.  He can make some throws and he competes, but he is always getting bounced around

Out of the 3 qb's I would keep Petty.  Not because I think he's good, he's not at all, but McClown is hideous and old and Hackenberg is an embarassment

6 minutes ago, thadude said:

Out of the 3 qb's I would keep Petty.  Not because I think he's good, he's not at all, but McClown is hideous and old and Hackenberg is an embarassment

Hackenberg has embarrassed you, and you haven't seen him play yet?   My you are a sensitive one.   

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Hackenberg has embarrassed you, and you haven't seen him play yet?   My you are a sensitive one.   

He was so good in practice the regime that drafted him felt compelled to make him wear pajamas on the sidelines until week 16

Honestly, there is no basis for saying that you want to KEEP any of them. None, including McCown, have really shown us FANS, with the level of access we have, that they are currently a starting QB that can take a team to the playoffs.

So basically you can like what you see in Petty, and think that he COULD BE a potential starter, or at least that you're not ready to say that he can't be. I think that, based on what I've seen from him on the field and how he has been handled by the coaches/staff with his roster position, on the field, and in the media, that his ceiling is QB2 - and that the coaches feel the same way.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, peebag said:

Geno gets sacked it's he sucks and holds the ball too long.  

Petty gets sacked, and holds the ball way too long, and it's others who are to blame.

funny how that works.  Petty is as bad as bad can be

On 3/30/2017 at 4:04 PM, Lupz27 said:

Anyone else think the Jets will take a QB somewhere in this draft, and Petty is the odd man out?

He is not ready to throw now, and won't be ready during all of offseason workouts apparently.

IMO Petty did not look like the answer at QB last year, and most reports from the in the know insiders is the Jets brass also does not see Petty as the answer at starting QB, if true you kinda have to get another guy this draft somewhere, Petty will be way behind any QB on the roster with executing the new offense considering he can't throw until training camp at the earliest.  

To me the writing is on the wall for Petty to be the odd man out should the Jets draft a QB in this draft.

I could easily see the Jets drafting a guy like Nathan Peterman and during OTA's/preseason cut Petty. From what I hear, Petty is still rehabbing. Also, what Petty did on the field last year didnt quite convince the coaching staff to make him the starter this season. Also, if Hackenberg is anywhere close to where Petty is then there's no reason to keep Petty. I think this offseason will be a competition in which Bowles/Macc is hoping that Hack can show enough to where they can cut Petty and keep the rookie. They really dont want to make the mistake of going 4 QB's again on the season. Unfortunately they needed all 4 QB's given all the damn injuries. Based on the outcome, it was pretty smart lol. 

I'd be happy if they drafted Nathan Peterman in the later rounds if available. I really dont want to go QB in the top 4 rounds though. We have so many other things to concentrate on. 

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Petty gets sacked, and holds the ball way too long, and it's others who are to blame.

yea...so Geno gets 2 years and we write off Petty after 4.1 games...makes sense.

yea...so Geno gets 2 years and we write off Petty after 4.1 games...makes sense.
That's not really apples to apples, Petty has 2 years in the system. You have to consider that the staff sees these guys practice, and that's (10x?) the number of hours they play games, they're not just judging them based on what CBS shows us when they happen to get into a game... I would keep Petty and let him prove he deserves a spot preseason, but if he can't go, he'll probably start on IR and push the decision back.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

LOL

Did you watch the video?  Ware and Suh came in unblocked.   Petty got the ball 25 yards up-field for a completion.

The comparisons between Petty and smith are really silly, Petty started 4 games after being out for 8 weeks.   smith started 32 games and sucked..  Don't know if Petty is worth a dang, but there is no where near a sample size big enough to make any kind of judgement.  if he plays poorly for 12 games this season, I'll agree, he sucks.   

Archived