Bryce Petty

Lupz27

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Any idea that Hack would be "better" if only we cut Fitz, or even cut Geno, is laughable.

Hack is where Hack is because Hack, flat out, wasn't ready to be in the NFL by any metric.

ever wonder how Hack would have turned out if OBrien didnt leave Penn State and that program was not turned up side down in the middle of his development ?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ever wonder how Hack would have turned out if OBrien didnt leave Penn State and that program was not turned up side down in the middle of his development ?
I think (and I'd guess that's what the Jets were thinking) that he can still get back on that track - or at least that it's not a done deal that he can't.

1 minute ago, isired said:
5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I think (and I'd guess that's what the Jets were thinking) that he can still get back on that track - or at least that it's not a done deal that he can't.

exactly... this off season will be very telling... I'm sure hes got a program to follow to fix some of his issues, how hard he worked on that will make or break him but he deserves that chance and he does not deserve to be written off by this fan base like some did as soon as he was drafted. At the very least these cynical Jets fans should be pulling for him to do well rather than bash the hell out of him.

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

exactly... this off season will be very telling... I'm sure hes got a program to follow to fix some of his issues, how hard he worked on that will make or break him but he deserves that chance and he does not deserve to be written off by this fan base like some did as soon as he was drafted. At the very least these cynical Jets fans should be pulling for him to do well rather than bash the hell out of him.

good luck with that..so many here would rather see him fail so they can say "told you so"..

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not sure why you guys don't give the benefit of the doubt to noted QB gurus Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles.

what exactly is a QB guru when it comes to the draft ? If you get lucky and Hit the lottery you don't have to pick another QB for 15+ years how many teams have that luxury ? Not many.. and all the rest struggle, which is about 2/3 of the league. Also how many GM's have picked multiple studs at the QB position that we can even refer too ? QB is easily the hardest position in all of sports to evaluate because you never know whats in these kids heads and if they are capable of dealing with all the information they need to cram in to become great QB's in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You are cherry-picking out that Maccagnan refused to rule out starting Hackenberg as a rookie. It's pretty blatant intellectual dishonesty when you purposely omit his very next sentence about Hackenberg playing as a rookie:

"The reality of it is, though, it’s going to be determined by how he does. And I think my personal opinion is we’ll see where he’s at and how he is in terms of assimilating to our offense and our system."

I don't know how you get from "in a perfect world you like to give those guys a chance to sort of grow..." (which any GM would say about any QB prospect, while knowing we do not live in a perfect world), followed by "[playing as a rookie is] going to be determined by how he does" and turn that into, "We are absolutely redshirting Christian Hackenberg and refuse to give him a chance to play or compete this year."

It's quite a leap to make.

They buried him on the depth chart because, despite his experience in a pro style offense (at age 18), they then realized he couldn't play this year. What he does this year & beyond remains to be seen.

Well Sperm Of course he has to say that what would have Happened if Hack came in to Jets camp and just lit the place up ? Obviously he didnt and needed work so Im sure that played a big part in the Jets saying hey lets just let this kid sit and not worry much about it this year. Because the Jets filled holes via free agency which hinted they felt they could win now so why throw a raw rookie into that mix if they truly felt they could compete ?

They aren't picking another QB. The best available at #6 will most definitely not be a QB.

I'm sure Macc is praying that some team that's between pick 7-15 gets antsy and trades up for Watson/ Triblisky. If not, he'll pick the most talented available player. heck, we got lots of holes to fill.

Like it or not, it's Hack time. So let's root for the kid, but let's remember, Rome wasnt built in a day. 

1 minute ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

They aren't picking another QB. The best available at #6 will most definitely not be a QB.

I'm sure Macc is praying that some team that's between pick 7-15 gets antsy and trades up for Watson/ Triblisky. If not, he'll pick the most talented available player. heck, we got lots of holes to fill.

Like it or not, it's Hack time. So let's root for the kid, but let's remember, Rome wasnt built in a day. 

As opposed to the QB that was picked in the 4th round last year by the cowboys > Im fine with the Jets not liking any of the QB prospects this year when next year seems to have a much better class of QB to choose from 

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Isnt there a way you can cut someone before a certain date and not have to pay him? Or something? Talkimg about mccown thought i read that

I'm not sure if you can do that in the first signing year ...either way McCown is not going anywhere since the 6 mil is fully guaranteed

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm glad you all agree.  How do the three of you rationalize Hackenberg being ahead of Petty?  Sure, you can believe he Hackenberg will be better and predict it, but cutting Petty?  WHAT THE **** HAS HACKENBERG SHOWN?  If they are going to cut Petty as soon as they draft another QB, then Hackenberg has probably already been on roster for about 36 weeks to many. 

Hackenberg has shown that he hasn't ruled himself out yet as a starting QB. Petty has game film that has show the opposite.

Hackenberg has shown that he hasn't ruled himself out yet as a starting QB. Petty has game film that has show the opposite.

This, AND where they are in the evaluation process, with Petty 2 years and many more reps in... I do think they could get Petty on the PS, someone would likely grab Hack.

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I keep reading this, but short of amputation I have seen no evidence he should be behind Hackenberg at this point.  It will be nice if Hackenberg beats him out, but I will wait for some proof.  There is every possibility that Hackenberg is Tahj Boyd 2.0

This makes the most sense,  lets wait and see what happens in camp before we cut bait on Petty. 

15 minutes ago, flgreen said:

After 4 games with a beaten team, you've ruled out Petty?  Wow

I haven't ruled him out, I think he might be a good backup. Just saying there is enough data on him to know that he is never going to be a good starting QB. He got hurt every time he got a chance and he didn't play well. Yes, he got hit hard. Yes, it was a bad team. But the Jets QB next season will get hit hard. Needs to be more durable.

21 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I wouldn't cut all three unless you can bring back Leon Washington and Brad Smith. Wildcat time.

Not a bad idea. Brad Smith had a better QBR than some of the other guys we've had.

OK, a couple of things here:

1) Most off season work between April and End of Aug. will have for most of that time 4 QBs. Why, because you don't want to wear out the arms of the 3 QBs of the 4 that ultimately are competing for spots 1, 2 and 3 on the depth chart. By End of Aug. one of the younglings (Hack or Petty) gets either traded, cut, or goes on either short or long term IR depending on various scenarios. Hack probably wouldn't get cut next year, but there could be a scenario where he shows enough for the Jets to keep McCown, (Watson or Trubinsky if drafted at 6) and Petty, and then Hack is traded to the Texans say if O'Brien can't get a QB in the draft and wants to see if he can take Hack and make him play like he did hist 1st year of college. Sometimes that is what some of these coaches recently from the college circuit do. Look at what Kelly did over the course of the 2 teams he ruined.

2) McCown was needed regardless as the QB/coach of the QB group. Many say that the QB coach does that, but he is not close enough to the trenches to lead/train probably 3 QBs that are in their early 20's. 

3) Everyone keeps saying get the franchise QB in 2018. What makes anyone think that is 1st of all a sure thing, and even if they are you have to get to the 1st or 2nd overall draft pick to get either Sam D. or Rosen the probable 1 and 2 QBs next year. All keep saying the Jets are so non-talented, but they still have a good enough front 7, Running game, and some receivers that are most likely going to get them at least enough wins to be drafting between 5-10 making getting the top 2 QBs either impossible or very costly trading too much to get up that high for our situation, which is needing the draft picks and more that we have.

In conclusion, as many have said it is not up to us, but if either Watson or Trubinsky are there at 6 and we can't net a huge boatload package for a trade down, Jets should take the QB if they feel good about him. That is a position you have to at times take these risks and not pass up because they could end up being the real deal. We have thrown away top 5-6 overall picks in the 1st round many of defenders and many mid 1st round picks on defenders we have chosen have gotton us close like Revis, Harris, etc. but it can no longer get us or any team such a dominant D that you can win a SB that way any longer. Too much favoring for the O's with penalties and everything else so that is just not the route to go. Sure Denver did it last year, but they still had Manning a HOF to manage up to and including the SB to insure no mistakes would cost them the Championship. We do need to draft another CB, FS, and OLB edge rusher, but we really need this draft to get us players on O to get up to speed with the new O NFL where we can score points and keep our D off the field. We need OL, TE, QB, and even another RB.   

6 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

OK, a couple of things here:

1) Most off season work between April and End of Aug. will have for most of that time 4 QBs. Why, because you don't want to wear out the arms of the 3 QBs of the 4 that ultimately are competing for spots 1, 2 and 3 on the depth chart. By End of Aug. one of the younglings (Hack or Petty) gets either traded, cut, or goes on either short or long term IR depending on various scenarios. Hack probably wouldn't get cut next year, but there could be a scenario where he shows enough for the Jets to keep McCown, (Watson or Trubinsky if drafted at 6) and Petty, and then Hack is traded to the Texans say if O'Brien can't get a QB in the draft and wants to see if he can take Hack and make him play like he did hist 1st year of college. Sometimes that is what some of these coaches recently from the college circuit do. Look at what Kelly did over the course of the 2 teams he ruined.

2) McCown was needed regardless as the QB/coach of the QB group. Many say that the QB coach does that, but he is not close enough to the trenches to lead/train probably 3 QBs that are in their early 20's. 

3) Everyone keeps saying get the franchise QB in 2018. What makes anyone think that is 1st of all a sure thing, and even if they are you have to get to the 1st or 2nd overall draft pick to get either Sam D. or Rosen the probable 1 and 2 QBs next year. All keep saying the Jets are so non-talented, but they still have a good enough front 7, Running game, and some receivers that are most likely going to get them at least enough wins to be drafting between 5-10 making getting the top 2 QBs either impossible or very costly trading too much to get up that high for our situation, which is needing the draft picks and more that we have.

In conclusion, as many have said it is not up to us, but if either Watson or Trubinsky are there at 6 and we can't net a huge boatload package for a trade down, Jets should take the QB if they feel good about him. That is a position you have to at times take these risks and not pass up because they could end up being the real deal. We have thrown away top 5-6 overall picks in the 1st round many of defenders and many mid 1st round picks on defenders we have chosen have gotton us close like Revis, Harris, etc. but it can no longer get us or any team such a dominant D that you can win a SB that way any longer. Too much favoring for the O's with penalties and everything else so that is just not the route to go. Sure Denver did it last year, but they still had Manning a HOF to manage up to and including the SB to insure no mistakes would cost them the Championship. We do need to draft another CB, FS, and OLB edge rusher, but we really need this draft to get us players on O to get up to speed with the new O NFL where we can score points and keep our D off the field. We need OL, TE, QB, and even another RB.   

I posted this in draft thread but think it fits here better

I think the Jets have already given lots of clues that they will not draft a QB in 1st 2 rounds of this draft

If they intended to draft one I think they would have been more aggressive in FA to protect such investment as they cant red shirt a top 6 pick at QB

The OL is bad, they have no TEs worth mention (they knew ASJ would be suspended), last year 1 and 2 WR are injured or gone, Forte is not the answer at RB, and they have whole new offensive staff. 

I think the Jets are content with using this draft to get better at every position but QB and see what they have in Petty and Hack...hence McCown.

Next year with possibly 80million in FA spending they will make a run with either Petty, Hack, or a 1st round draft pick QB (or FA QB).

I think 2017 is about building a foundation for 2018 and beyond.

Hopefully Petty or Hack surprise and they can speed up the process which makes it win\win

1 more tell....I thought it was strange they cut Mangold.  Yes he cost too much and play has declined but if I was planning on breaking in a 1st round rookie QB I think I would give him a center who could help him call out blocking schemes and audible...we saw how good Wesley was at that....not.....the center and QB is an important partnership especially when it comes to green QB.....there is only 1 QB on jets roster that worked with Wesley so I thought that was interesting they go with him....

Archived