If we hit on a QB this yr and if Darnold is the real deal...

Pointdexter

we could be in line for a king's ransom of draft picks in 2018 and 2019.

Follow me...I really like both Watson and Trubisky. If we draft one of them and they show potential we have found our QB, finally.

Regardless of who's at QB, however, in my opinion we're not winning more than 5 games next yr. OL, secondary, rbs, wrs, lbs, all below avg. Even Tom Brady isn't winning more than 7 games with our roster.

So we may be in line for one of the top couple picks regardless. Without the need to draft QB, we could trade that slot for a windfall of picks if Darnold matches the hype.

Just a thought, but another reason to draft QB this yr opposed to waiting/wishing everything will work out.

I think we should stay with the BPA routine and tank until next year when the qb's are more hightly rated. Actually since I have suffered this long I can deal with tanking for as long as neccesary to build this team the right way.

37 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Follow me...I really like both Watson and Trubisky. If we draft one of them and they show potential we have found our QB, finally.

Regardless of who's at QB, however, in my opinion we're not winning more than 5 games next yr. OL, secondary, rbs, wrs, lbs, all below avg. Even Tom Brady isn't winning more than 7 games with our roster.

So we may be in line for one of the top couple picks regardless. Without the need to draft QB, we could trade that slot for a windfall of picks if Darnold matches the hype.

Just a thought, but another reason to draft QB this yr opposed to waiting/wishing everything will work out.

Not totally true. 

Plenty of QB's here showed potential their first year. It is what you do years 2,3,4 that are going to tell you if you have your guy.

I am not a Trubisky guy. I like Watson alot but not at 6.

I am in favor of trading down to get more picks, unless you think a guy like Fournette or Lattimore can be a foundation guy.

If they pick at 6 they HAVE to draft a guy who can step in day 1 and play at a high level for the next 10 years like Mangold and Brick did.

1 hour ago, bgivs21 said:

Honestly if Darnold is as good as everyone expects him to be, you can't trade that pick. You have to select him, regardless of who you have at QB. 

Exactly. It doesnt matter who we have at QB what we consider legit. If Darnald "is" the real deal, he's worth more than a Kings Ransom given that he's ultimately worth superbowls. There's nothing worth more in this game than Superbowls. 

28 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Exactly. It doesnt matter who we have at QB what we consider legit. If Darnald "is" the real deal, he's worth more than a Kings Ransom given that he's ultimately worth superbowls. There's nothing worth more in this game than Superbowls. 

Well we know that's not true.  Let's see....we have 'intangibles', 'offseason super bowls', 'beating the Pats in the regular season', 'having a player selected as an All Pro'.  The list goes on...

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

If we hit on a QB, then we won't be picking first next year. False argument.

When you think about the Cowboys of the 1990s, for example, 2 of their key moves was drafting Troy Aikman and trading Herschel Walker for draft picks.

With Aikman, the Cowboys still lost almost all of their games,  Aikman was much more pro ready than MT or KW.   If you draft either of them, I don"t see a huge impact on the 2017 season.  I don't think it changes what they otherwise was expecting to do with with McCown and Hack.  

And for the record, Troy Aikman, a classic pro QB, was not that great in college.  He also had an unbelieveable team around him.  Rodney Peete may have had better college stats and a better college record-I was at the Rose Bowl when USC beat UCLA in their last years.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

USC QBs and the NY Jets don't mix. 

Such quality player evals.

Never take a USC QB

Always take Penn state Linebackers

Never take Penn state running backs

Always take Boston College olineman

Never take Wisconsin running backs

Always take Wisconsin lineman

Always take Florida or FSU DbS

Sometimes take Cal QBs

Always take Missouri pass rushers

Never take Texas tech QBs

Always take USC RB's

Never take Oregon QBs

Take a player from Pitt every 4th year

Never take Bama DBS

Take OSU olineman but avoid all other positions.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Like when the Colts went 3-13 in Mannings first year?

Nope, more like when the Cowboys went 1-15 with Aikman. ;)

Reality is that we aren't winning more than 5 games with any QB given the current state of the roster. Best we can hope for is our new QB shows legit positive signs of potential... unlike Hack.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Such quality player evals.

Never take a USC QB

Always take Penn state Linebackers

Never take Penn state running backs

Always take Boston College olineman

Never take Wisconsin running backs

Always take Wisconsin lineman

Always take Florida or FSU DBS

Sometimes take Cal QBs

Always take Missouri pass rushers

Never take Texas tech QBs

Always take USB RB's

Never take Oregon QBs

Take a player from Pitt every 4th year

Never take Bama DBS

Take OSU olineman but avoid all other positions.

I mean those aren't such bad rules though.

BTW didn't say USC QBs were always terrible (but they almost always are) but they are terrible here. 

3 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Not totally true. 

Plenty of QB's here showed potential their first year. It is what you do years 2,3,4 that are going to tell you if you have your guy.

I am not a Trubisky guy. I like Watson alot but not at 6.

I am in favor of trading down to get more picks, unless you think a guy like Fournette or Lattimore can be a foundation guy.

If they pick at 6 they HAVE to draft a guy who can step in day 1 and play at a high level for the next 10 years like Mangold and Brick did.

Watson will be a bust... Mark it... He will go down as a great leader and college QB... He has trouble reading Defenses, and his arm strength is a big issue.

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Watson will be a bust... Mark it... He will go down as a great leader and college QB... He has trouble reading Defenses, and his arm strength is a big issue.

Understanding all those great college QBs, many out of Florida (e.g, Tebow, Manziel), that were great, won championships and amounted to nothing in the pros, can someone name one or more QBs that had arm strength/accuracy issues, did not work in a pro style offense reading defenses and who were successful in the NFL?

In other words, if you were a college coach trying to fill a real stadium, win games and have happy alumni, would you create an easy to learn offense with a guy who could run around, make plays and throw it up to physical freak who was bigger and stronger than everyone else, understanding that they graduate fast but the system is easy to learn so you just replace the pieces?

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

If we hit on a QB, then we won't be picking first next year. False argument.

Yeah, except its not false. Manning won 3 games his first season. We're talking about a FHoF QB. With our roster, a rookie Dan Marino isnt winning more than 5. Keyword: Rookie. 

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Understanding all those great college QBs, many out of Florida (e.g, Tebow, Manziel), that were great, won championships and amounted to nothing in the pros, can someone name one or more QBs that had arm strength/accuracy issues, did not work in a pro style offense reading defenses and who were successful in the NFL?

In other words, if you were a college coach trying to fill a real stadium, win games and have happy alumni, would you create an easy to learn offense with a guy who could run around, make plays and throw it up to physical freak who was bigger and stronger than everyone else, understanding that they graduate fast but the system is easy to learn so you just replace the pieces?

Watson is gonna be Vince Young

4 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

If we hit on a QB this year (whether first round or we find a gem or a QB in the later rounds like we've always have), and we end up with the first overall pick, we draft Darnold as well. Keep the best of the two for 1-2 years and then offload the other for a "king's ransom". I wanna be in a position to pick the best. 

Having said that, we will probably draft a bust of QB by trading up (that's never happened in our history), and win in wk17 (again, that's never happened with us either) and lose out on the Darnold sweepstakes. 

Archived