Christian Hackenberg gets an endorsement

Jet Nut

And now for something completely different......

Christian Hackenberg gets a (rare) voice of support

Everything we know about Christian Hackenberg has come from second-hand accounts.

Most of those haven’t been great, whether coming from an unnamed NFL scout who said the Penn State quarterback would never make it, Pro Football Focus’ refusal to give him a draft grade because they thought he shouldn’t be drafted, and the source, reportedly from inside the Jets, who said Hackenberg “couldn’t hit an ocean” with a football.

Predictably, people with the Jets whose names we know and whose faces we’ve seen have been altogether kinder to Hackenberg, including general manager Mike Maccagnan and head coach Todd Bowles. And now, cornerback Buster Skrine.

“Christian improved every day,” Skrine told NJ.com of the quarterback’s progress in the system. “I like him. I like him a lot. From Year 1 to Year 2? That’s a big jump for a quarterback.”

Hackenberg is the presumptive No. 3 on a depth chart led by veteran Josh McCown, who signed a one-year deal with the team, and Bryce Petty, who appeared in six games last season.

But that order isn’t set in stone, as Bowles confirmed he will stage a “wide open” competition for the starting job through this spring and summer’s workouts and practices.

So, theoretically, if not practically, Hackenberg could get the gig.

“He has a good arm and every tool,” Skrine said. “All it takes is some playing time. He’ll get his shot. He was taken in the second round. So [management] have trust in him.”

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buster Skrine: Big things coming for Jets' Christian Hackenberg

Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com on April 03, 2017 

NEW YORK -- Few outside One Jets Drive have seen Christian Hackenberg play. At least not since the quarterback walked off the field in last year's preseason finale. 

Despite all the Jets' quarterback issues, Hackenberg rode the bench. His reps came not in games -- he was inactive for 15 of 16 -- but on the scout team offense. 

That scout team offense went up against the Jets' starting defense, where Buster Skrine is a cornerback.

So what's Skrine's assessment? Did Hackenberg get better? Worse?

"Christian improved every day," Skrine told NJ Advance Media this weekend at Life Time Athletic in Manhattan, where he hosted an interval class to raise money for several charities. "I like him. I like him a lot. From Year 1 to Year 2? That's a big jump for a quarterback." 

Hackenberg, a second round pick in 2016, is arguably the Jets' most polarizing player. Some are all about waiting for him to develop, while others take his lack of playing time as a sign he's not the player the Jets hoped. Damning reports from earlier in the season didn't help things. An anonymous Jets coach reportedly said Hackenberg "couldn't hit the ocean," while another added he "regressed."

But there's confidence inside the locker room Hackenberg can be the answer. 

"He has a good arm and every tool," Skrine said. "All it takes is some playing time. He'll get his shot. He was taken in the second round. So [management] have trust in him."

Skrine is right. From an intangible standpoint, Hackenberg checks all the boxes. He has a brilliant football mind, the perfect size (6-4, 220) and a cannon for an arm. He's a natural leader, can make every throw, and survived the harshest of circumstances at Penn State. 

But Hackenberg is about as raw as they come. Which is why coach Todd Bowles sat him all of last season. Despite teams forcing rookie quarterbacks into the lineup right away -- Jameis Winston (Bucs), Marcus Mariota (Titans), Carson Wentz (Eagles), Dak Prescott (Cowboys) -- Hackenberg received an unorthodox redshirt year. 

The hope is this season he can compete with Bryce Petty and Josh McCown to be the starter. Assuming the Jets don't draft a quarterback, which isn't out of the question.

"Coming in, he'll have a chance to play," Bowles said at the NFL owners meeting last week. "He got to sit a lot last year. He got to see a lot of things. We're hoping he puts that to use this year. We're expecting him to. 

"We had no plans on playing him, even with the year going the way it did. He was positive, he understood it."

Skrine's charitable nature goes back to his time in Cleveland, when he created Skrine Pro Speed. He'd go to local high schools and train kids for free. When he signed with the Jets in 2015, he continued. Everything changed when someone asked him if he happened to do interval classes. 

After researching the music-themed workouts, and tweaking them to be a bit more football-oriented, Skrine gave it a shot. He's now hooked. 

"When I retire," Skrine said, laughing, "I'm doing this 24/7." 

While the classes are no longer free, all proceeds go to go to Path Mentorship and Eternally Cherished, a non-profit organization which helps women and children. Skrine travels all over New Jersey and New York to teach the classes. He's even gotten several current and ex-teammates to join in the fun. 

Things are starting to pick, too. Six attended his first class. Videos on his Instagram (see herehere and here) show what they're like now. 

"It's my way of giving back," Skrine said. "We went to all the boys and girls clubs in New Jersey. Two in New York. Homeless shelters in New Jersey. Schools. 

"I love it. Pretty much the entire foundation helps single moms and children of need."

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Coming from the worst defensive player the Jets have ever had in the last 20 years doesn't mean much

Yeah, your opinions are much more in depth and meangful.  And unnamed sources. After all you have to be good to have an opinion.  I figure Carl would be the first. 

8 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Coming from the worst defensive player the Jets have ever had in the last 20 years doesn't mean much

;how long did you study the players for the last 20 years to come up with great insightful opinion?

37 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Gholston commented on Hack?

Oh, wait, was it Kyle Wilson?

Oh, wait, it must have been Anthony Schlegel...

Oh, no, was it D'Rob?

LOL. Please.

48 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, your opinions are much more in depth and meangful.  And unnamed sources. After all you have to be good to have an opinion.  I figure Carl would be the first. 

No need to speak about me, especially so incoherently. 

But. Yeah. Buster Skrine does suck. 

30 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No need to speak about me, especially so incoherently. 

But. Yeah. Buster Skrine does suck. 

You mean other than I'm right with this.  As usual logic out the window.

Dont like your posted opinions to be brought up?  Stay of public message boards.  

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Dont like your posted opinions to be brought up?  Stay of public message boards.  

What on earth do you think you're right about? Your posts are barely at an 8th grade level, so please, explain to me what you're babbling about now. I have no problem defending my opinion especially on this board I've been a part of for a long time. I'd just have to know what the hell you're obsessed with me about this time. Go on. 

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm sure he improved every day. Not playing football is always what makes football players better at football.

LOL so true. He improved by light years during our huge victory against Buffalo at the end of last season.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm sure he improved every day. Not playing football is always what makes football players better at football.

Aaron Rodgers completed only 35 passes in 3 years as backup to Favre. That lack of playing time really hurt his career. 

Whether Hack is good or a bust will not be dependent how much or little he played last year. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Aaron Rodgers completed only 35 passes in 3 years as backup to Favre. That lack of playing time really hurt his career. 

Whether Hack is good or a bust will not be dependent how much or little he played last year. 

plus columbus didnt have any experience sailing around the world and look how that worked out

I will be more then happy to give him a pass and not bust chops till training camp.
Yet, I still believe we need to take Watson with the first pick.
If this kid can shine thru spring and establish himself as the clear starter by camp, then serve up the crow. We have heard all these "he has improved by leaps and bounds before, only to be totally disappointed.
So the proof is in the doing, and we have all been fooled before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jmat321 said:

Hack beat Rutgers once, so did Geno Smith.  The QB room in Florham has been filled with greatness.

In all fairness to Hack, I can't remember the last time I saw a Jets QB throw the ball as well as Hack did during that scoring drive against the Giants in the preseason.  If the Jets can get that out of him on a consistent basis, he'll be a very good QB.  That's a big if, of course.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

lol, good gravy

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What on earth do you think you're right about? Your posts are barely at an 8th grade level, so please, explain to me what you're babbling about now. I have no problem defending my opinion especially on this board I've been a part of for a long time. I'd just have to know what the hell you're obsessed with me about this time. Go on. 

STFU Carl

Archived