What's that smell you ask?

Maxman

Not the smell of Crusher in the break room. The other smell?

That is a smell of a disciplined defense that is going to lay down the law this season. Hello NY Jets, welcome to the top 5 defense club.

They need Claiborne to stay healthy. When that happens they have a completely retooled secondary.

The defensive line is set. Beyond set. Muhammad Wilkerson is healthy and is going to be the player he was before the injury. Leonard Williams will continue to disrupt things.

Darron Lee will be improved in year two. And Lorenzo Mauldin is going to be a different player with Kevin Greene in town.

Top 5 defense, here we come. The mental mistakes will be gone. They are young, fast and hungry.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Its exhaust from the U-haul in front of Mike's house.

Oh that makes sense. Breathing in all those fumes made me spend my cap money on Duane.

I call a do-over.

It's going to sound crazy to the 1-15 crowd, but I think you're right. This defense can be really good next season. We've established a young, strong talent pool at every level of the defense and I think this will be a totally different unit.

The offense, on the other hand, will live and die with Hackenberg or Petty. I won't hold my breath on that one.

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

It's going to sound crazy to the 1-15 crowd, but I think you're right. This defense can be really good next season. We've established a young, strong talent pool at every level of the defense and I think this will be a totally different unit.

The offense, on the other hand, will live and die with Hackenberg or Petty. I won't hold my breath on that one.

I love your optimism, but Todd still coaches our D.  

3 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I am going to get killed for it, but I agree with the approach. I wanted Kacy gone, I thought the coaching changes should have gone to that level. Instead they said the communication issues were caused by assistants. Day one installation issues was the quote. That is okay, Kacy stays and has to produce. Ultimately it is Todd's defense anyway, and I believe he will deliver.

Fixing the secondary and getting the QB were the two biggest issues. They addressed the secondary in a big way and let's see what Greene can do with Mauldin.

For the offense, I think Hackenberg is the best bet. A lot of that is wishful thinking obviously. It would mean that Macc went against popular opinion and was right. So you would think that kind of mind could produce talent over and over again. We will see but I am okay with whoever wins, Petty or Hack. Let's build a top defense, find a QB this year and go to work.

18 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That is a smell of a disciplined defense that is going to lay down the law this season. Hello NY Jets, welcome to the top 5 defense club.

They need Claiborne to stay healthy. When that happens they have a completely retooled secondary.

The defensive line is set. Beyond set. Muhammad Wilkerson is healthy and is going to be the player he was before the injury. Leonard Williams will continue to disrupt things.

Darron Lee will be improved in year two. And Lorenzo Mauldin is going to be a different player with Kevin Greene in town.

Top 5 defense, here we come. The mental mistakes will be gone. They are young, fast and hungry.

12 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

wibD4md.gif

Agree for the most part and love how the D is shaping up.

Though I don't think it'll finish top 5.  Ya need at least a decent offense to allow that to happen.  

I'm hoping Hack is gonna be good, but it remains to be seen.  So the D will most likely get tired n fed up many games.  Which will keep a great defense from getting top 5 numbers.

2018 is another story though.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Though I don't think it'll finish top 5.  Ya need at least a decent offense to allow that to happen.  

I'm hoping Hack is gonna be good, but it remains to be seen.  So the D will most likely get tired n fed up many games.  Which will keep a great defense from getting top 5 numbers.

I'll say a prayer for this, and I am an Atheist.  We are so ****ed!!!!

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

That is 100% true. So there is some of this (a lot) that is wishful thinking obviously. The Pats give up so few points because their offense controls the game. So the Jets need the offense to cooperate. Definitely.

What this draft is telling me is they are seriously willing to let Hack and Petty battle it out for the starting job. McCown I know, but I just don't think they would let him start. Might be more wishful thinking. But let the kids play.

8 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I'll say a prayer for this, and I am an Atheist.  We are so ****ed!!!!

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That is 100% true. So there is some of this (a lot) that is wishful thinking obviously. The Pats give up so few points because their offense controls the game. So the Jets need the offense to cooperate. Definitely.

What this draft is telling me is they are seriously willing to let Hack and Petty battle it out for the starting job. McCown I know, but I just don't think they would let him start. Might be more wishful thinking. But let the kids play.

Nfl network summed it up well.

Rich Eisen:  "Are they content to have Hackenberg backup McCown this year?"

Some dude in a purple suit:  "I think the Jets future QB will be playing on a college field next year."

Rich:  "Ok."

I'll be rooting like hell for Hack to succeed, but won't be the least bit upset if we go 0-16 (in fact I'll be thrilled).

Top 5, with our Offence? - It's never coming off the field, they will be gassed by the 3rd quarter every game.

Plus Rogers is our D.C, we have no chance. Zero corners and no pass rush. Unless Sheldon in his final "Contract year" pulls his socks up and gets 4.5 Sacks from OLB. 

This as gone way worse than even my wildest Nightmares.

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

You remind me of that calm general that gets everyone back in line when we're panicking from hearing the footballs whistle over our head on defense.

You'll either lead us to victory or to a most certain loss Max. We have some fans already needing to be convinced to put the cyanide cocktail down lol. 

Loved that Kevin Greene pick up. 

Maybe you should call in a favor at the front office and tell them to get some offensive weapons so we dont waste a top 5 defense on a 30th ranked offense. 

This could set a new record in Jet message board history ... we're not even finished with the draft and I'm already sensing an appearance of the Animal House "it's not over ..." meme

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Rex had a top 5 defense as well.  Lets see what happens but I am personally tired of the Richardsons, Wilson,  Coples types  .... I hope you are right.

6 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Because of all the negativity around here my gut tells me Hack is going to pan out.  Imagine if he does, btw.  We might have a vicious defense and a surprisingly decent O.  It's not out of he question.  

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I have a bridge that I'd like to sell you .

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I'm with you on this. We are in total rebuild on both sides of the ball so I don't care where the pieces are added to as long as they are promising prospects.  The two  safeties can be patrolling the field for many years to come.  We have a very talented line that will hopefully rebound and some young linebackers that have a great LB coach to work with.  Marcus Williams can hopefully take the next step while Claiborne is a huge low risk high reward signing.  We have the makings of a very good defense.   The seeds are planted for the defensive side of the ball to be watered.  

7 minutes ago, prime21 said:

I'm with you on this. We are in total rebuild on both sides of the ball so I don't care where the pieces are added to as long as they are promising prospects.  The two  safeties can be patrolling the field for many years to come.  We have a very talented line that will hopefully rebound and some young linebackers that have a great LB coach to work with.  Marcus Williams can hopefully take the next step while Claiborne is a huge low risk high reward signing.  We have the makings of a very good defense.   The seeds are planted for the defensive side of the ball to be watered.  

Agreed on everything except I think people are giving Kevin Greene credit as being a good coach because he was a good player.  I don't know that it works that way (though obviously I hope he'll be good)

Agreed on everything except I think people are giving Kevin Greene credit as being a good coach because he was a good player.  I don't know that it works that way (though obviously I hope he'll be good)

That's very true, especially since he was unemployed. At the least he should be able to light a fire under these guys.

I think the hidden win of this draft so far is that they didn't draft a QB which means to me that they see something in Hackenberg.  He fixed something or he's done something to where they see that he can be the one.  The Stewart pick was a good one I can definitely see Enunwa and Robbie on the outside with Stewart in the slot.  I love the way this kid plays and I love what this team is doing.

I'm hoping they grab Jake Butt today at some point along with Jamaal Williams and the offense will be an improved one.  The defense like you said Max will be top 5-7.  I'm completely on that ship.  

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

marshall_h_applewhite.jpg

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

Lmaoo top 5 defense good luck with that . Our offense won't be sustaining drives . That defense gonna be worn down every game 

I dunno I thought Petty did a decent job moving offense last season so I expect him to be even better now with an actual LT. ...plus the running game was not bad and I expect they are not done yet in that department with this draft getting TE and another RB.

I am not expecting superbowl but I think they will be fun to watch.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

You forgot to mention the smell of fear from QBs around the league. ... And my guy Jenkins

Top 5 defense? For that to happen, we'd need to play against our opponents' backup QBs (or substantially-injured starters) 12 games this year.

Another way of describing that that smell:

We have no edge rusher. Yet again. Opportunity was sitting right there last night (from what draft people say) but we cleverly traded down to get better value when selecting our #5 WR. Hey, it's time first Maccagnan's traded down prior to round 5, and he got screwed on the compensation, so baby steps.

We have exactly one really talented CB, except he can't stay on the field (which is why he was available in the first place). He's only here for this throwaway year anyway.

We have a vastly overhyped & slow mid-round pick from last year, and a walking penalty of a $6m NB other than him, and a CB who looks good in limited action but gets exposed when given serious playing time, as the next 3 corner options, in no particular order.

We have a slow DL. Individually they're super-talented, but as a unit they're just...slow. The only thing they do fast is get winded, due to the offense putting them back out there so quickly. The nimblest of the bunch is the nutjob we're again desperately trying to trade, whom nobody else wants for more than a late round pick, which we won't accept. We've absolutely got excellent run defenders, though.

We still have two starting, veteran DEs that actually needed disciplinary addressing by the coach, to tell them it's not ok to routinely show up late - or to outright skip - mandatory team meetings. Like they didn't know this wasn't ok on their own. Real team players there. I'm sure that'll change, with this same doormat of a HC, and no credible pressure on their playing time, just because we want that to happen.

We know this is the DL structure, so in response we drafted two safeties with our first two picks, to theoretically help buy enough time to generate coverage sacks. Except the DL+CB problem they're trying to solve is a problem of this FO's own design, they say neither are primarily coverage guys, and who starts two rookie safeties anyway?

David Harris was already arguably the slowest ILB/MLB in the NFL 7 years ago, and we'll still have him manning the middle, 7 years older and slower.

Jordan Jenkins is more of a lunch pail type than one who will adequately cover a TE or ever become a reliable edge rusher, since he isn't discernibly faster than 300-lb Sheldon Richardson. He had a late season uptick in production, but that also coincided with playing against Matt Moore, Colin Kaepernick, and EJ Manuel. If we make sure we only play against backup QBs, PFF will just love him.

Darron Lee gets pushed aside by a stiff wind, when he's not tweeting his stupidity or getting scolded by his mommy.

Lorenzo Mauldin has a great attitude & story, but he's also a slow pass rusher with poor football instincts.

Am I forgetting anybody? I'm sure we'll draft other defenders on day 3, but we don't know who they are yet.

The offense will keep putting them back onto the field, so at least we'll get to watch our smelly defense a lot.

Archived